Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion

Trizzak

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He wouldnt have been my choice as the cap casualty 

They didn't really have a choice, tho. Flat cap killed them, Barzal contract used up all the money they had, and nobody was taking on dead money like Ladd's - even for a king's ransom. All the cap dump moves were for contracts with 1 year remaining, of which the Islanders had none.

I'm wondering how the situations with Drouin and Evans might affect the Habs list of protected players.  I don't expect either to play again this season.

Armia, Tatar, and Danault will probably be unsigned free agents. 

It looked certain we would protect 3 D-men and 7 forwards.

Anderson, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Toffoli are locks to be protected.

I was expecting 2 out of

Lehkonen, Evans, Drouin and maybe either a signed Danault or Armia

to fill out the 7 forwards.  This would meaning exposing one of our top 4 D-men.

But maybe Seattle will pass over Evans and Drouin.  Would the Habs risk protecting

Anderson, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Toffoli  and the 4 D-men?  (Protecting 8 skaters plus a goalie is the other option).  

The is a rule about players facing career ending injuries not counting in the list of players who must be exposed.  Normally that only applies to guys who missed 60 straight games (I think) but the rule doesn't actually require that.  Nevertheless I don't think this rule is likely to be applied here.

Maybe more realistically the effect is that they protect 7 forwards including

Lehkonen, Armia and Danault and  expose  Evans and Drouin.

Allen will be exposed and maybe this just means Seattle will take him no matter who we protect.

Maybe Montreal would rather keep the 4th D-man and let Allen go?

The expansion draft had certainly come a long ways. I remember in 1991 Bob Clarke picked Guy Lafleur who was retired, because he didn’t even want a player on the Nordiques exposed list.

if I remember correctly, he even apologized to Pierre Page for making the pick.

3 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Allen will be exposed and maybe this just means Seattle will take him no matter who we protect.

Maybe Montreal would rather keep the 4th D-man and let Allen go?

They might prefer one of our defencemen, depending on what defencemen and goalies other teams expose, and what type of defence Seattle wants to build.

Petry and Weber will be protected. That means only one of Chiarot, Edmundson and Kulak will be (Romanov is exempt). I'm going to guess that they will protect Edmundson, but that's just a guess on my part.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

They might prefer one of our defencemen, depending on what defencemen and goalies other teams expose, and what type of defence Seattle wants to build.

Petry and Weber will be protected. That means only one of Chiarot, Edmundson and Kulak will be (Romanov is exempt). I'm going to guess that they will protect Edmundson, but that's just a guess on my part.

The playoffs aren't over either.  Watch Gustafsson get a hat trick in the Cup Finals.  MB would resign him for sure and the Kracken take him and both problems work each other out.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 8:27 PM, tomh009 said:

In this (27-April) article, they are predicting the Habs would leave Weber unprotected and instead protecting Petry, Chiarot and Edmundson.

I like that idea, but given the lack of depth on RD, I doubt it happens

https://theathletic.com/2532436/2021/04/27/seattle-mock-expansion-draft-6-0-protected-lists/

Also, of note, teh following goalies may be left unprotected:

ARZ: Adin Hill, Antti Raanta

DAL: Anton Khudobin

MIN: Cam Talbot

So there is a chance Allen is not taken from the Habs

Edited by alfredoh2009
added goalies

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

One of canucks goalies also i think?

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Holtby

Dunno, canuck fan thinks Seattle will want one of theirs, I couldnt even tell you who other one is. 

53 minutes ago, DON said:

Dunno, canuck fan thinks Seattle will want one of theirs, I couldnt even tell you who other one is. 

I just checked 

Summer is turning out to be awesome , we’ll have plenty of time to revisit this.

just though of revisiting the old threads to keep them near the top of the pile for later 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In this (27-April) article, they are predicting the Habs would leave Weber unprotected and instead protecting Petry, Chiarot and Edmundson.

I like that idea, but given the lack of depth on RD, I doubt it happens

https://theathletic.com/2532436/2021/04/27/seattle-mock-expansion-draft-6-0-protected-lists/

Hill isn't all that good - although Arizona probably won't have much of interest available - and Raanta is a pending UFA so he may not be picked.  (If they take a pending UFA goalie, I believe Driedger from Florida is the one to watch for there.)

Khudobin only has one year left, costs most than Allen, and played much worse so I can't see him being all that appealing either.  Talbot maybe with the two years left is an option but if they go with 8 skaters to protect Dumba, there are going to be better forwards left available.

I'd also add Washington to the goalie list as one of Samsonov or Vanecek (likely the latter) will be available.  Young and cost controllable will be appealing to them.

Do/can we expose Drouin?  At this point Byron, Lekhonen and Evans have earned a protected spot over him.  It would also do us a huge favour to get him off the cap, and to not lose Chiarot or Allen.

24 minutes ago, Neech said:

Do/can we expose Drouin?  At this point Byron, Lekhonen and Evans have earned a protected spot over him.  It would also do us a huge favour to get him off the cap, and to not lose Chiarot or Allen.

that is a very good question.

I am undecided on that. Lehkonen over Drouin would have been an insane thing to say 6 months ago

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that is a very good question.

I am undecided on that. Lehkonen over Drouin would have been an insane thing to say 6 months ago

I would offer up a draft pick to Seattle to take Drouin or wait and see how he looks when or if he comes back 

1 hour ago, Neech said:

It's not a one or the other situation.  If the Habs expose Drouin, it's probably to go with 4 D/4 F in which case all of those other three are being left unprotected anyway.  Plus, they still have to have two signed forwards left exposed - Byron is almost certain to be one of them.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It's not a one or the other situation.  If the Habs expose Drouin, it's probably to go with 4 D/4 F in which case all of those other three are being left unprotected anyway.  Plus, they still have to have two signed forwards left exposed - Byron is almost certain to be one of them.

Of course, if they choose to sign Danault (and/or Armia?) ahead of the expansion draft, that may change the equation.

11 hours ago, Neech said:

Lekhonan and Evans yes. If someone wants to take Byron’s cap hit, all the power to them.

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Of course, if they choose to sign Danault (and/or Armia?) ahead of the expansion draft, that may change the equation.

I’d wait. Discuss in principal a return, but wait until after the draft.

On 6/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Lekhonan and Evans yes. If someone wants to take Byron’s cap hit, all the power to them.

Byron has very much showed up for the playoffs, though, and it may have secured his place on the roster for next year.

here is my protection list (7-3-1):

Forwards: Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli, Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Evans

Backs:      Petry, Edmundson, Chiarot

Goalie:      Price

Walks: Tatar (UFA), Staal (UFA)

Unprotected (Seattle picks one): Byron, Armia (UFA), Lehkonen (RFA), Perry (UFA), Weber, Kulak, Merrill (UFA), Gustafsson (UFA), Allen

Exempt: Suzuki, Romanov