Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion

Trizzak

10 hours ago, Chris said:

You would be lucky to get a 3rd for Droiun.  Which is fine if you can find someone to take his cap hit. 

Hall was a 2nd a prospect. Drouin is no Hall

The price for Hall was low because he was a rental, and will be a UFA in the summer. Drouin is under contract for two more years after this one.

I don't think Drouin's contract is that far out of whack considering his points production but I think others here will have more insight into this.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Drouin would look great in Edmonton  

No idea what he is worth 

26yr old, 49pt/yr winger, $5.5/yr for another 2 years? Would Seattle take him over, say an Allen?

I am the same, not a clue what would get for him in trade or what any 50point winger is worth.

I assume you want to get a d-man back if traded?

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Drouin would look great in Edmonton  

No idea what he is worth 

If McDavid can't get him going then no one can. It's really hard to say what Drouin is worth, has excellent skating ability and puck handling skills but doesn't always seem to be there from the neck up, makes some bad decisions. 

40 minutes ago, DON said:

26yr old, 49pt/yr winger, $5.5/yr for another 2 years? Would Seattle take him over, say an Allen?

I am the same, not a clue what would get for him in trade or what any 50point winger is worth.

Im not sure they have a Dman and I’m not sure what I’d want from them! Drouin seems very tough to validate. Was just thinking their style would work well with Drouin 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If McDavid can't get him going then no one can. It's really hard to say what Drouin is worth, has excellent skating ability and puck handling skills but doesn't always seem to be there from the neck up, makes some bad decisions. 

He needs to held accountable for bad decisions and for lazy efforts. He gets away with nonsense that he should not. 

Maybe some discipline could hone his skill into a great player 

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Drouin was probably the best Hab on the ice last night.  Why are we shitting on him today. 

When he deserves it, sure.  But last night was not on him.

I don't think it's so much because of last night's game but I think the expectations were greater than 2 goals in 40 games for a guy with his ability. Maybe our expectations are too high?  Even Milan Lucic has 7. 

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Drouin was probably the best Hab on the ice last night.  Why are we shitting on him today. 

When he deserves it, sure.  But last night was not on him.

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think it's so much because of last night's game but I think the expectations were greater than 2 goals in 40 games for a guy with his ability. Maybe our expectations are too high?  Even Milan Lucic has 7. 

Exactly ... AND ... it wasn't a major accomplishment to be the best Hab last night

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He should have more goals at this point in his career than Lucic.  Yes he is getting assists, but is not even coming close to earning his pay, or shaking the reputation of not having his shit together on too many nights.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Exactly ... AND ... it wasn't a major accomplishment to be the best Hab last night

I think habs fan who had the stomach too sit through the game, were better than any hab last night. It doubly sucks for me, being in Calgary and getting texts from Flames fans.

Drouin showing up now and then isn’t good enough. He is absolutely a player that we need to dump. 

We have way too many passengers that show us great things from time to time but contribute nothing. 

Even a player like Lehkonen, that brings it every shift but contributes very few points is not good enough. 

Drouin showing up now and then isn’t good enough. He is absolutely a player that we need to dump. 

No we dont! He isnt Gomez.

I wouldnt protect him, that is for sure, but he isnt a black hole

Even a player like Lehkonen, that brings it every shift but contributes very few points is not good enough. 

He is solid checker, gives what he got and is a 3rd line guy, he is only making 2.4m, so not a big cost or overpay at all and next year will likely get a reasonably priced  deal from Habs or some other team.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

I wouldnt protect him, that is for sure, but he isnt a black hole

He is solid checker, gives what he got and is a 3rd line guy, he is only making 2.4m, so not a big cost or overpay at all and next year will likely get a reasonably priced  deal from Habs or some other team.

I always talk very highly of Lehkonen but if we are serious about winning then his point performance is simply not good enough. 

If we are serious about winning then a player like Drouin who shows up only as often as he wants then that isn’t good enough. 

It was Drouin that spoke about the passengers on this team as a problem - how ironic!

We have depth and we should use it outside of injury. If Drouin doesn’t feel like working then sit him and let someone else try and steal his position. Having talent doesn’t mean you can be lazy. 

I think this team needs a purging of players that can’t or won’t play the way they are supposed to. 

If we want to win then we need to stop accepting mediocre garbage 

I think this team needs a purging of players that can’t or won’t play the way they are supposed to.

It's relatively easy to dump players. But if you actually want to improve the team, you have to replace them with players that are better. Without spending more money (we're at the cap, remember).

Who will give us a better player in exchange for Drouin, at the same or lower cost? Or for Lehkonen?

2 hours ago, DON said:

I wouldnt protect him, that is for sure, but he isnt a black hole ...

I agree he isn't a black hole but he is either overpaid or underperforming, depending on perspective ... either way, the term "dump" is IMO inappropriate because it implies either buy out or get almost nothing for him ... but he is a player I believe the Habs should move this summer ... 

Just now, tomh009 said:

It's relatively easy to dump players. But if you actually want to improve the team, you have to replace them with players that are better. Without spending more money (we're at the cap, remember).

Who will give us a better player in exchange for Drouin, at the same or lower cost? Or for Lehkonen?

How do you improve a team by keeping players that are not good enough ... "dump" is the wrong word ... but "move" would be appropriate ... and while they may not get an equally "talented" player, they should be able to get a player that makes comparable contributions ... and keeping him because they can't get a "Sergachev" back is planned mediocrity.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If we want to win then we need to stop accepting mediocre garbage 

Drouin has value, is it $5.5m/yr value? Most likely will say no due to his inconsistent effort and soft play. But, he does lead the team in assists, so he is a good playmaker, but agree it is frustrating to watch his fly by lazy stick checks and high rick passes that end up as horrible turnovers.:wall: 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

How do you improve a team by keeping players that are not good enough ... "dump" is the wrong word ... but "move" would be appropriate ... and while they may not get an equally "talented" player, they should be able to get a player that makes comparable contributions ... and keeping him because they can't get a "Sergachev" back is planned mediocrity.

Our team has been garbage for years and years and years. 

How do we move beyond that if we keep accepting the Drouin’s of the world or amazing people like Lehkonen that can’t score or effectively add offensive help. 

Our team has been garbage for years and years and years. 

How do we move beyond that if we keep accepting the Drouin’s of the world or amazing people like Lehkonen that can’t score or effectively add offensive help. 

I understand what you are saying.

But I don't think it's as easy as flicking the switch to turn the lights on.

I have always been a fan of Lehkonen (except for the stone hands), he can skate, play defense, works hard and would usually chip in with 12-15 goals this year.  At 2.4 million I think that's pretty decent value. But this year he is on a 7-8 goal pace so the value doesn't seem quite the same. Not ready to give up on him or throw him away but it depends on what they have to pay him.  

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I understand what you are saying.

But I don't think it's as easy as flicking the switch to turn the lights on.

No it’s not for sure. 

I think we need a new GM (despite MB’s great offseason). The new GM trades/moves our vet core and we decide between a retool or rebuild. 

I think a retool and a trade for a #1 Dman along with some good drafting and 4 years might work 

47 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we need a new GM (despite MB’s great offseason). The new GM trades/moves our vet core and we decide between a retool or rebuild

I think a retool and a trade for a #1 Dman along with some good drafting and 4 years might work 

I think Geoff Molson decides that. :)  And that decision will drive his decision of whether to keep Bergevin or look for someone else.

Because "someone else" isn't necessarily going to be a better GM. And whether it's Bergevin or "someone else", Molson will still set the strategy.

Define a good GM?  MB has been brutal in the wins / Loss and making the playoffs. Which i think being a good GM is all about. It's not a popularity contest. 

He was gifted a playoff run last year with the 5th worst team 

On 4/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, DON said:

He would be the best player available in the entire draft, so of course they would.