Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was at that game, in the Forum, and remember thinking that it was actually a pretty boring hockey game. Of course none of us cared, we were just ecstatic at what was happening.

The point being, it may have been a dull game even by the standards of the time.

I do believe that the quality of the hockey today is ummatched in my lifetime, though. The speed, the skill is off the chart, and there remains enough physicality to keep things edgy. It's absolutely a great product right now.

How amazing to be in the old Forum on the day that the Habs won the cup. 

I was quietly jumping up and down and shaking my fists - trying not to waken my wife. 

As you say, the speed and skill of today’s players are off the charts. Even today’s big players have speed and skill. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How amazing to be in the old Forum on the day that the Habs won the cup. 

I was quietly jumping up and down and shaking my fists - trying not to waken my wife. 

As you say, the speed and skill of today’s players are off the charts. Even today’s big players have speed and skill. 

Different time, when a grad student working part-time could afford a standing-room ticket. I would have driven a bus through the doors to see that game, though. Nothing was going to stop me.

As cherished as that memory is - I can still see Roy looking right at us and raising the Cup, roaring in triumph - I was also there for Game 2 of that series. The McSorely stick/Desjardins game. No single moment has ever been more ecstatic for me as a hockey fan than to be in the building when Desjardins blasted it past Hrudey to tie it up with a minute left. It was INSANE.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Different time, when a grad student working part-time could afford a standing-room ticket. I would have driven a bus through the doors to see that game, though. Nothing was going to stop me.

As cherished as that memory is - I can still see Roy looking right at us and raising the Cup, roaring in triumph - I was also there for Game 2 of that series. The McSorely stick/Desjardins game. No single moment has ever been more ecstatic for me as a hockey fan than to be in the building when Desjardins blasted it past Hrudey to tie it up with a minute left. It was INSANE.

I’ve been on this forum for almost 20yrs and every time you mention this I hard core envy you. 

I was a high school junior living in Greece, pre internet, with ZERO hockey coverage other than the 2 day old USA Today’s that our school library had on those newspaper sticks. 

My cousin in Montreal called our house at 5am waking me the whole household up to tell us the news. 

Luckily for me he taped game 5 on VHS and sent it to me via mail so I could watch. 

I am turning 48 next month and have still not seen the Habs win the cup live. (Was in Greece on vacation in 1986)

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You and me both! There have been two times in my life that I've randomly hitched on to a playoff season and went along for the ride. While still a huge fan, 92-93 season was especially so for me. Senior at university, had a job, bought tickets for every single home game that year. The retail store I worked in (Radio Shack) had a touch tone phone, so I'd go to the store to make the call to purchases tickets from the box office the second they went on sale. My boss was an avid fan too, and she'd be on the other line, and would hand me the phone if she got through first. (I mention this because my home phone was still a rotary dial. For round 1, it was so slow to dial that I was only able to get standing room tickets). That was a magical year for 20-something year old me.

2 years ago, we decided to jump on the Avs train and missed only one home game (the first one). We bought tickets for every game afterward. We even went to the watch party at the rink when they broadcast the game from TB on the scoreboard. While a very cool feeling to be part of that Cup run, it still doesn't match the raw emotion of the '93 playoffs. For me, nothing in the sports world, as a fan, will match the Habs winning a Cup. 

1 hour ago, huzer said:

You and me both! There have been two times in my life that I've randomly hitched on to a playoff season and went along for the ride. While still a huge fan, 92-93 season was especially so for me. Senior at university, had a job, bought tickets for every single home game that year. The retail store I worked in (Radio Shack) had a touch tone phone, so I'd go to the store to make the call to purchases tickets from the box office the second they went on sale. My boss was an avid fan too, and she'd be on the other line, and would hand me the phone if she got through first. (I mention this because my home phone was still a rotary dial. For round 1, it was so slow to dial that I was only able to get standing room tickets). That was a magical year for 20-something year old me.

2 years ago, we decided to jump on the Avs train and missed only one home game (the first one). We bought tickets for every game afterward. We even went to the watch party at the rink when they broadcast the game from TB on the scoreboard. While a very cool feeling to be part of that Cup run, it still doesn't match the raw emotion of the '93 playoffs. For me, nothing in the sports world, as a fan, will match the Habs winning a Cup. 

Although I never experienced the Habs winning a cup from a fan perspective I did get to experience Greece winning the Euro in 2004. 

That was without a doubt the GREATEST team sport upset in the history of all team sports. 

Over 100k Greeks taking over the the city, from ParkEx down park Ave through downtown. 

I still get goosebumps. 

18 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was also a university student during the 93 cup run. I was doing an internship during the spring/sunmer and didn’t get off until game time. Missed the first period of game 1 because of the time it took to get home. For game two, Instead of going home and missing part of the game, I went to the gym at work and watched the game 2 while working out. It was a marathon workout session with the OT. I left work early for game 5, and got a lot flack at work for leaving early to watch a hockey game!!! It was definitely worth it. I still remember Roy’s awkward “going to Disneyland” plug, that seemed to be common for MVP’s those days. Haven’t seen anyone do that in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

some Lehkonen love 😍

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

some Lehkonen love 😍

I've been ranting about this trade since the day it happened. Danault and Lehkonen should both be Habs right now in my eyes. They are both such great defensive players. 

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I've been ranting about this trade since the day it happened. Danault and Lehkonen should both be Habs right now in my eyes. They are both such great defensive players. 

Bergevin decided not to give Danault and acceptable offer and his re-signing Armia left no cap space for Hughes to keep Lehkonen ... on the other hand, if the Habs had both of them, even if MB was still fired who knows if Gorton and Hughes even sign on to a team likely stuck outside the playoffs but in the teens without lottery luck ... no Slafkovsky, no Reinbacher, no 2025 5th overall

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

If they did sign them both where would we be now? Little or no cap room. A team just outside the playoffs probably. Likely drafting 12-16th this year, a middling team. I would rather go through a little pain with some light at the end of the tunnel.