Jump to content

2022 World Juniors


DON
 Share

Recommended Posts

USA forfeits their 2:30pm EST game today versus Switzerland as a result of positive Covid-19 tests and the resulting mandated team quarantine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Plenty of elite and generational goalies have been drafted in later rounds.

This, in itself, is absolutely correct.

 

However, I can also say that plenty of people have won a Lotto 6-49 jackpot. In neither of those cases are the odds favourable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This, in itself, is absolutely correct.

 

However, I can also say that plenty of people have won a Lotto 6-49 jackpot. In neither of those cases are the odds favourable.

True ... but what are the odds of drawing a generational goaltender in ANY round of a particular draft?  The 6/49 may just be a better bet (intentional hyperbole).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DON said:

Surely teams would have a ranking of more than 65players?

Why would you; say, take a d your scouts ranked 39th and pass on the goalie your scouts ranked 36th, because you 'want' more d-men? Habs have done tried that with d-men in 2nd/3rd round (it seemed) and dont think it paid off. 

So simply go with highest ranked kid on your own board (in first 3 rounds at least), and totally ignore position or need, shouldnt you be better off in long run?

 

The difference between 2 and 3 on any board js much bigger than the difference between 43 and 48. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

USA forfeits their 2:30pm EST game today versus Switzerland as a result of positive Covid-19 tests and the resulting mandated team quarantine.

TSN is saying that if any more positives tests come from team USA, they may have to forfeit the rest tournament.  If team USA is forced to forfeit, they may halt the tournament completely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

TSN is saying that if any more positives tests come from team USA, they may have to forfeit the rest tournament.  If team USA is forced to forfeit, they may halt the tournament completely. 

Why would they halt the entire tournament if the problem is only one team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Why would they halt the entire tournament if the problem is only one team?

They were saying the setup is for 8 teams, so 7 wouldn’t work as well.


Rest between games and standing could be affected by a team dropping out.  Plus it’s one of the top-4 teams too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Why would they halt the entire tournament if the problem is only one team?

 

If the Leafs were forced to close down wouldn't the NHL cease to exist?

 

KIDDING

 

Bob McKenzie's explanation is that IIHF rules say that 8 teams must finish the tournament (i.e., quarterfinals) in order for it to be official ... there are 10 teams in the tournament ... so the chance of cancellation of the tournament is not directly related to any possible exclusion of Team USA ... any three teams would technically, by IIHF rules, negate the tournament ... NOT that self-serving hypocrisy is outside the IIHF's wheelhouse if continuing the tournament would prevent them losing money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

They were saying the setup is for 8 teams, so 7 wouldn’t work as well.


Rest between games and standing could be affected by a team dropping out.  Plus it’s one of the top-4 teams too. 

There are 10 teams entered, so they would need to lose three to drop below the eight-team minimum.

 

Canada and the Soviets were both disqualified from the tournament in 1987 and yet medals were awarded, so I don't think losing one team, regardless of which one, would cause a wholesale cancellation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

OK, now we are getting closer to that threshold. The Czechs only had one positive, though.

One game doth not a tournament forfeit make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There are 10 teams entered, so they would need to lose three to drop below the eight-team minimum.

 

Canada and the Soviets were both disqualified from the tournament in 1987 and yet medals were awarded, so I don't think losing one team, regardless of which one, would cause a wholesale cancellation.

I’m not sure, I’m just passing on information that TSN was reporting.  It was Elliot Friedman and Bob Mackenzie, so it’s not a baseless speculation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I’m not sure, I’m just passing on information that TSN was reporting.  It was Elliot Friedman and Bob Mackenzie, so it’s not a baseless speculation.

Don't think anyone was saying it was baseless speculation ... just fleshing out the details of IIHF rules about cancelling a tournament ... assuming they don't find a way to justify ignoring their rules if it comes to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Add Russia to the list of teams having to forfeit.  It sounds like the US may be able to play tonight's game as scheduled though.

Minus the two players, who have not yet been named. One of the goalies -- Commesso (who tested positive and missed last year's tournament already) or someone else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feedback/complaint from multiple teams at the tournament is that they were exposed to lots of other people with weddings etc in the hotels, which were not dedicated to the tournament.

 

And yet, the arrangement was a result of complaints from the teams about the strictness of the bubble arrangement in last year's tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Oh well, sucks but not end of world. Allow kids to get back playing with club teams sooner i guess (if that is any consolation).:(

 

I'm not as much interested about the club teams getting an extra game or two out of their players as I am about the Habs being able to recall Mysak and Guhle if they get hit with more players entering COVID protocol today or tomorrow.  They have one healthy skater on an NHL contract left in Laval so if multiple skaters test positive again, they actually might have to turn to a CHL recall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Xhekaj could get the call?:nuts:

 

He's definitely in the mix as well if they decide they're going to pull a junior player up; he's the only other plausible recall they have beyond Mysak/Guhle out of the junior ranks.  They don't have to do that because they have options on the taxi squad and it doesn't make any sense to have them brought up to be a healthy scratch; I think they'd only do it if they planned to play that person in a game.  I'm not sure they'd be willing to put Xhekaj into a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...