Jump to content

2022 NHL Entry Draft


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, DON said:

This is simply a crap shoot, as with most stuff when projecting 17 yr old high school kids. 

Has zero to do with a kid saying, "I am #1 and that is important to me." in an interview.

I see as opposite like a Suzuki, who doesnt need to TELL folks he is great. 

But, i guess everyone has been kissing his ass since he was anointed extraordinary in the OHL. So, i assume a swelled head is to be expected.

 

I totally get what you are saying.  There is a fine line between confident and cocky. I think Wright was just being confident and answering the question honestly. I guess we will find out what HuGo thinks in July. We have time to analyze this to death. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

This is simply a crap shoot, as with most stuff when projecting 17 yr old high school kids. 

 

I don't think its a crap shoot, otherwise why employ scouts at all. 

 

By going for high upside, you look for players who have high upside, which means looking for high end skills in areas, an elite shot, skating, vision and playmaking, something that is going to translate at the NHL level and then look to your development team to work on weaknesses.  Where as the lower upside are players who are good in all areas, but not great in any one area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I totally get what you are saying.  There is a fine line between confident and cocky. I think Wright was just being confident and answering the question honestly. I guess we will find out what HuGo thinks in July. We have time to analyze this to death. 

 

I think the fact the Wright is praised by many of his coaches and teammates at the OHL level and in Hockey Canada as being a leader is big here too.  It kind of goes against the "full of himself" narrative 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

...why employ scouts at all. 

Good question.

Because that is the way it was always done in the past i suppose.

Not sure the draft results support hiring any scouts, does it? 

 

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

I think the fact the Wright is praised by many of his coaches and teammates at the OHL level and in Hockey Canada as being a leader is big here too.  It kind of goes against the "full of himself" narrative 

Hope (and think) you and rest folks here are correct.

But, time will tell, just struck me as more arrogant than confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that skilled scouts, with a "good eye" to evaluate talent and projected upside are still important.

 

Having a solid analytics department, not a few number crunchers but a whole dept., will homogenize evaluations across an organization. Because drafting is such a subjective task, scouts will continue to have a role.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure the draft results support hiring any scouts, does it? 

 

 

Then how would you make your picks?  Purely on analytics?  A good scout can pick things up that a computer doesn't.  There will always be a role for scouts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Then how would you make your picks?  Purely on analytics?  A good scout can pick things up that a computer doesn't.  There will always be a role for scouts. 

 

It would be an interesting experiment to ditch scouts and rely purely on analytics, though! Given how hit and miss scouting is, I wouldn't fall down in shock if the results turned out to be comparable. That said, I certainly would not be the GM betting his career on that experiment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Then how would you make your picks?  Purely on analytics?  A good scout can pick things up that a computer doesn't.  There will always be a role for scouts. 

Any actual proof of that though, or just assumed?

I think is a great 'token' job for ex-NHLers or those that couldnt make it.

 

Just saying are a ton of missed stars in the draft...a monkey could pick the top few couldnt he?

 

I could be out to lunch and is such a small cost to billionaire owners, what does it hurt to have eyes in the stands, or to talk to folks to try and gleen some inside info. 

 

In old days likely needed; but these days i guestion it, thats all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It would be an interesting experiment to ditch scouts and rely purely on analytics, though! Given how hit and miss scouting is, I wouldn't fall down in shock if the results turned out to be comparable. That said, I certainly would not be the GM betting his career on that experiment.

 

isn't that what the Panthers tried a few years ago, when they fired Gallant while on the road, and just kicked him to the curb?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Romanov was more of a swing for the fences pick as many had him rated much lower but Timmins was pretty excited about his potential. 

 

That's a good example of one as that was definitely a pick that was way off the board relative to the rankings that were out there publicly.

 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I just remember the video clip showing MB and TT saying "Hillis" at the same time and being excited. He was picked with the other bunch of centre: Olofsson(#56), Hillis(#66), McShane(97), Gorniak(#123), Fonstad(#128), Houde(#133)

 

I remember that as well.  Timmins wanted Hillis at the end of the second round but Bergevin traded back a few spots so when Hillis was still there, he was the logical choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Any actual proof of that though, or just assumed?

I think is a great 'token' job for ex-NHLers or those that couldnt make it.

 

Just saying are a ton of missed stars in the draft...a monkey could pick the top few couldnt he?

 

I could be out to lunch and is such a small cost to billionaire owners, what does it hurt to have eyes in the stands, or to talk to folks to try and gleen some inside info. 

 

In old days likely needed; but these days i guestion it, thats all.

 

Didn’t the coyotes try to save money a few years back by cutting scouting drastically and saying they were going to rely more on analytics. Hasn’t worked out for them. You need to have both. More information the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

I could be out to lunch and is such a small cost to billionaire owners, what does it hurt to have eyes in the stands, or to talk to folks to try and gleen some inside info. 

 

In old days likely needed; but these days i guestion it, thats all.

Apart from the fact that few junior or European leagues have any significant analytics data available ... analytics can only capture what could be measured on the ice. It cannot tell you how the player is training, or what his shooting style is, or how accurate his passes are, or what his health is, or why the coach sat him in the third period, or whether he shows leadership qualities, or what his work ethic is, or ... things that only a human can assess, at least for now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

from qmjhl.ca:

https://theqmjhl.ca/video/qmjhl-kicks-off-2022-golden-puck-awards-with-kubota-top-prospect-nominees

 

"The award is named after former QMJHLer and Hockey Hall of Famer, Michael Bossy, who was ranked sixth in the QMJHL’s 50 greatest players countdown as part of the League’s 50th anniversary celebrations. Past recipients of the Trophy include former stars Mario Lemieux, Pat LaFontaine, Sidney Crosby and Vincent Lecavalier.

Nathan Gaucher played his third season in the “Q” and posted more points than in his first two years combined. The Richelieu native scored 31 goals and added 26 assists in 66 regular season games. He also maintained a stunning +30 rating and scored six game-winning goals for the regular season champion Quebec Remparts.

Maveric Lamoureux confirmed his status as a potential first round selection at the upcoming NHL Draft after an impressive campaign. The Hawkesbury, Ontario native posted four goals and 20 assists, tripling his offensive output from last year. The 6’7” defenseman was a key piece for the Voltigeurs as they finished fourth in the Western Conference standings.

Tristan Luneau continued his impressive development on the Gatineau Olympiques’ blue line. The first overall selection at the 2020 QMJHL Draft piled up 43 points (12 goals and 31 assists) in 63 games this season. He also posted a +9 rating while helping the young Olympiques squad to a second-place finish in the Western Conference standings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

 

from qmjhl.ca:

https://theqmjhl.ca/video/qmjhl-kicks-off-2022-golden-puck-awards-with-kubota-top-prospect-nominees

 

"The award is named after former QMJHLer and Hockey Hall of Famer, Michael Bossy, who was ranked sixth in the QMJHL’s 50 greatest players countdown as part of the League’s 50th anniversary celebrations. Past recipients of the Trophy include former stars Mario Lemieux, Pat LaFontaine, Sidney Crosby and Vincent Lecavalier.

Nathan Gaucher played his third season in the “Q” and posted more points than in his first two years combined. The Richelieu native scored 31 goals and added 26 assists in 66 regular season games. He also maintained a stunning +30 rating and scored six game-winning goals for the regular season champion Quebec Remparts.

Maveric Lamoureux confirmed his status as a potential first round selection at the upcoming NHL Draft after an impressive campaign. The Hawkesbury, Ontario native posted four goals and 20 assists, tripling his offensive output from last year. The 6’7” defenseman was a key piece for the Voltigeurs as they finished fourth in the Western Conference standings.

Tristan Luneau continued his impressive development on the Gatineau Olympiques’ blue line. The first overall selection at the 2020 QMJHL Draft piled up 43 points (12 goals and 31 assists) in 63 games this season. He also posted a +9 rating while helping the young Olympiques squad to a second-place finish in the Western Conference standings.

 

Yeah, in my "potato-meter" Luneau and Gaucher are two that I would love to land on the Hab's lap. But that would have been a logical MB pick, I do not know what the CH-anglos will pick. Probably more of a USDP/NCAA bias than TT/MB, if that is even possible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

Yeah, in my "potato-meter" Luneau and Gaucher are two that I would love to land on the Hab's lap. But that would have been a logical MB pick, I do not know what the CH-anglos will pick. Probably more of a USDP/NCAA bias than TT/MB, if that is even possible

Warren-Luneau and several other Q players are well within Habs 2nd-3rd pick range, so wouldnt be surprised to see Q player taken at 28-33rd. Central Scouting has 8 of top 25 N.A. skaters from USA U18 team. So am sure are bunch GMs quite interested in USDP at least.:hockey:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Apart from the fact that few junior or European leagues have any significant analytics data available ... analytics can only capture what could be measured on the ice. It cannot tell you how the player is training, or what his shooting style is, or how accurate his passes are, or what his health is, or why the coach sat him in the third period, or whether he shows leadership qualities, or what his work ethic is, or ... things that only a human can assess, at least for now.

 

Exactly, analytics won't tell you if the guy is a complete idiot as a teammate. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

Yeah, in my "potato-meter" Luneau and Gaucher are two that I would love to land on the Hab's lap. But that would have been a logical MB pick, I do not know what the CH-anglos will pick. Probably more of a USDP/NCAA bias than TT/MB, if that is even possible

I doubt if that’s possible. Timmins had the following USA as his first picks (some years first pick was second rounder):

2006 Fischer 

2007 McDomough

2008 Kristo

2010 tinirdi

2013 Mccarron

2017 Poehling

2019 Caufield 

 

that’s seven USA players picked first by the habs  (not including Galchenyuk who came up through the OHL), or the many picked in later rounds. Go further back and you can add Hainsey, Komisarik, and Higgins in consecutive years as first rounders. So even prior to Timmins being in charge the habs have been picking a lot of USA players with their first pick. I Dont care where the players being picked are from, as long as they are solid players. I’m sure if the two anglos you seem to dislike so much pick USA players, you use their being Anglo as the reason 🙄- despite Hughes Quebec connections, and that their moves being solid so far. Bottom line is the Quebec has not produced the same level of talent as it did in the 70’s, or 80’s. A lot of the French players picked have been disappointments. Hopefully Roy breaks that trend.


Of the USA first rounders, McDonough amd Caufield were worth a 1st round worthy. McCarron had no business being drafted before the 4th round 1 I don’t care if someone else would have picked him - he should not have been picked that high. Fischer was also rated as as a 70th or so pick from what I recall. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

Yeah, in my "potato-meter" Luneau and Gaucher are two that I would love to land on the Hab's lap. But that would have been a logical MB pick, I do not know what the CH-anglos will pick. Probably more of a USDP/NCAA bias than TT/MB, if that is even possible

Last season was the first time since 2013 that MB/TT drafted a QMJHL player before the 5th round ... they were hardly Q-advocates ... the French media trashed them year-after-year ... there were actually 4 MB/TT drafts where they selected no players from the Q.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Last season was the first time since 2013 that MB/TT drafted a QMJHL player before the 5th round ... they were hardly Q-advocates ... the French media trashed them year-after-year ... there were actually 4 MB/TT drafts where they selected no players from the Q.

Exactly, it will be hard for Hugh-Gort to do worse than Tim-Berg in that front.

I agree with the belief by lots of Habs fans that a cup winning Habs team will have to have a skilled core of French-Quebs (not 4th liners)


Not that langage makes a hockey difference, but rallying the crowd behind a « gars de chez nous » is a key ingredient in what needs to happen

 

I am NOTconvinced Hugh-Gort put as much thought to that as MB did (even if he just did the minimum) 

Edited by alfredoh2009
corrected typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Exactly, it will be hard for Hugh-Gort to do worse than Tim-Berg in that front.

I agree with the belief by lots of Habs fans that a cup winning Habs team will have to have a skilled core of French-Quebs (not 4th liners)


Not that langage makes a hockey difference, but rallying the crowd behind a « gars de chez nous » is a key ingredient in what needs to happen

 

I am or convinced Hugh-Gort put as much thought to that as MB did (even if he just did the minimum) 

100%

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Exactly, it will be hard for Hugh-Gort to do worse than Tim-Berg in that front.

I agree with the belief by lots of Habs fans that a cup winning Habs team will have to have a skilled core of French-Quebs (not 4th liners)

Do worse, but not targetting Q-players intentionally? Really?

You seem to be more concerned with politics, than actually icing a winning team? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During the Timmins time with the team, the Habs drafted the 2nd most players out of the Q of any team. 

 

During the Bergevin/Timmins era they were 3rd. 

 

This is a problem of Hockey Quebec not producing as many high quality prospects as they did in the 80s and 90s, not the Habs refusing to draft them.  There just aren't the same quantity of quality French-Canadians in the NHL as their used to be. 

When Hockey Canada did the post-Nagano hockey summit, as well as the one ten years later, there was one province who didn't put in the recommendations for coaching and development.  Guess who that was?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Do worse, but not targetting Q-players intentionally? Really?

You seem to be more concerned with politics, than actually icing a winning team? 

 

 

no, I am not concerned by politics at all. Zilch, Nada, Rien

 

Danault last year, Savard this year, they add to the mix a perspective that needs to be part of the team.

 

Having a French-Queb element is part of what the Habs are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

During the Timmins time with the team, the Habs drafted the 2nd most players out of the Q of any team. 

 

During the Bergevin/Timmins era they were 3rd. 

 

This is a problem of Hockey Quebec not producing as many high quality prospects as they did in the 80s and 90s, not the Habs refusing to draft them.  There just aren't the same quantity of quality French-Canadians in the NHL as their used to be. 

When Hockey Canada did the post-Nagano hockey summit, as well as the one ten years later, there was one province who didn't put in the recommendations for coaching and development.  Guess who that was?

 

you are 100% right. It is a Hockey Quebec problem; but one where the Habs, as a customer of the HQ stream, cannot be passive. Again, it only MHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...