Jump to content

2022 NHL Entry Draft


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Have you heard the rumour that he had his bone-age tested and it suggests he has a good bit of growing left?

 

If he has a late growth spurt he could end up at 5’10 or even 5’11 anyway. 
 

I'm personally a fan of this type of home run swing 

 

Can't say that I've heard that.  Interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Can't say that I've heard that.  Interesting. 

 

He was bringing something like that into the combine interviews plus leaning heavy on the family history to try to make the case that he could get a little bigger.  Full marks for creativity on that front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Have you heard the rumour that he had his bone-age tested and it suggests he has a good bit of growing left?

 

If he has a late growth spurt he could end up at 5’10 or even 5’11 anyway. 
 

I'm personally a fan of this type of home run swing 


Not saying it’ll happen, but I was a late growth spurt. I went from 5’10” to 6’4” after my 18th birthday. Granted, I was never an NHL prospect either, so there’s that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, huzer said:


Not saying it’ll happen, but I was a late growth spurt. I went from 5’10” to 6’4” after my 18th birthday. Granted, I was never an NHL prospect either, so there’s that.

Tall fella! I’m only 5’8 myself (but I don’t trust my chances at a late growth spurt at 28 😂)

 

would be very interesting to see Hutson’s value skyrocket if he shot up to the 5’10 mark 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

would be very interesting to see Hutson’s value skyrocket if he shot up to the 5’10 mark 

At the draft, yes.

 

But if the player has a given set of skills, does it really make a huge difference in his ability to play D whether he's 5'10/180 or 5'8/180? Potentially that's an inch or so of reach, but other than that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

At the draft, yes.

 

But if the player has a given set of skills, does it really make a huge difference in his ability to play D whether he's 5'10/180 or 5'8/180? Potentially that's an inch or so of reach, but other than that?

Honestly, I think half the value would be in perception alone, even if it didn’t make a massive tangible difference 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which could make him a steal with a second-round pick -- if he works out, of course.

 

I'd be very happy to see the Habs take a chance on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

At the draft, yes.

 

But if the player has a given set of skills, does it really make a huge difference in his ability to play D whether he's 5'10/180 or 5'8/180? Potentially that's an inch or so of reach, but other than that?

 

He was 5'8, 158 at the combine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He was 5'8, 158 at the combine. 

I know. I was making the comparison assuming he would be putting on some additional muscle in the next year or two, as most rookies tend to do.

 

The real question was, does the height really make as much difference in a player's ability to play D as the weight and the strength does?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I know. I was making the comparison assuming he would be putting on some additional muscle in the next year or two, as most rookies tend to do.

 

The real question was, does the height really make as much difference in a player's ability to play D as the weight and the strength does?

 

I am short too, and way to heavy ... so I have a soft sport for the Martin St-Louis' of this world

 

but can we draft est player available, which for a D includes the ability to clear the front of the net ?

 

I loved Mete (5-9184lb (175cm, 83kg) , and I like Wideman (5-10183lb (178cm, 83kg) ... but there is a reason these players play sheltered minutes against "big physical" opponents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I know. I was making the comparison assuming he would be putting on some additional muscle in the next year or two, as most rookies tend to do.

 

The real question was, does the height really make as much difference in a player's ability to play D as the weight and the strength does?

Francis Bouillon had a long career at 5’8 and nearly 200. My Dad always just called him “cube” 😂

 

id say strength/weight is more important for both forwards and defence, but height certainly has its advantages. Stick reach as was mentioned, and perhaps a little better shot blocking.

 

That said, I don’t expect Hutson to ever have the same stature as Cube. Seems to be fairly slight. Gonna need him to grow a little if he’s to teach his potential at the NHL level 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... which for a D includes the ability to clear the front of the net ? ...

It does ... but a small D-man who may lose a lot of physical battles is OK with me if they have superior to elite offensive skills ... Mete and Wideman clearly did/do not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Francis Bouillon had a long career at 5’8 and nearly 200. My Dad always just called him “cube” 😂

 

id say strength/weight is more important for both forwards and defence, but height certainly has its advantages. Stick reach as was mentioned, and perhaps a little better shot blocking.

 

That said, I don’t expect Hutson to ever have the same stature as Cube. Seems to be fairly slight. Gonna need him to grow a little if he’s to teach his potential at the NHL level 

 

Frankie-Bou was a freak :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It does ... but a small D-man who may lose a lot of physical battles is OK with me if they have superior to elite offensive skills ... Mete and Wideman clearly did/do not

 

I am not drafting that much risk (if this, and if that, and if the other thing... then he will be great). I would trade for a player like that, but not draft one in the top 100

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Would be interesting to see what Hutson’s wingspan is 

 

could he be turned into a winger? Maybe he could really excel there, may be play like Lehkonen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I know. I was making the comparison assuming he would be putting on some additional muscle in the next year or two, as most rookies tend to do.

 

The real question was, does the height really make as much difference in a player's ability to play D as the weight and the strength does?

 

The amount of muscle you can put on a frame is effected by how big that frame is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

Frankie-Bou was a freak :)

 

Met him downtown St. John’s and bought him a drink one time! He went for a vodka sofa with a splash of cran hahah. He was nice enough to invite me back to his table where Matthieu Dandenault was. 
 

Chatted for a long time and Dandenault literally started doing magic tricks (and he was good at them 😂

 

One of the most unexpected nights ever. This was when the Icecaps were based in St. John’s. Very nice people by the way 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

could he be turned into a winger? Maybe he could really excel there, may be play like Lehkonen?

Interesting thought. Perhaps that vision/processing could translate well to playing up front 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not drafting that much risk (if this, and if that, and if the other thing... then he will be great). I would trade for a player like that, but not draft one in the top 100

I totally see where you are coming from ... but once an undersized D-man proves they have "superior to elite offensive skills" that offset any defensive issues they become very, very expensive to acquire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not drafting that much risk (if this, and if that, and if the other thing... then he will be great). I would trade for a player like that, but not draft one in the top 100

We have eight (!) draft picks in the top 100. And second/third round picks have only about a 30% probability of getting to 100 NHL games anyway. While I would play safe with the #1 pick, I think they can afford to try to swing for the fences on some of those second- and third-round picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

could he be turned into a winger? Maybe he could really excel there, may be play like Lehkonen?

 

Possible, but so much of his game is based on his vision, and its a big adjustment from being at the back with the forwards in front of you and running things off the wing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tomh009 said:

We have eight (!) draft picks in the top 100. And second/third round picks have only about a 30% probability of getting to 100 NHL games anyway. While I would play safe with the #1 pick, I think they can afford to try to swing for the fences on some of those second- and third-round picks.

 

I'd take him at the Edmonton pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...