Game #48 - January 24, 2023 - Canadiens vs Bruins - 7:00 pm

GHT120

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Loved Belzile’s game. Montembeault was great.

It's only 21 games but Montembeault has really upped his play this year. Between some specific aspects of his play and increased confidence, his GSAA/GSAE numbers this year are very much in the starting goalie territory. Whether he can maintain that level of play remains to be seen, but it's definitely encouraging.

image.png

• Like 1

I liked Montembault from the start, but based on all the expert commentary, I never thought he’d enter “starting goalie” territory. That said, he always reminded me a little bit of Jakob Markstrom, another big guy who seemed to need longer than most for his brain to make sense of his body at the NHL level. Not that his ceiling would be as high as Markstrom’s, but the widespread dismissals of Montembault as someone who would never amount to anything seemed to overlook this “late developer” scenario.

If he can sustain this, which is a big if, he could become an important transitional piece for the rebuild, providing decent netminding while we groom or identify our eventual longer-term #1 G.

I should note that the hockey-reference.com model has a substantially lower GSAA for Montembeault (these are calculated based on models so there is no single absolute truth) but even there he is in the low 20s based on GSAA.

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I should note that the hockey-reference.com model has a substantially lower GSAA for Montembeault (these are calculated based on models so there is no single absolute truth) but even there he is in the low 20s based on GSAA.

I usually just look at hockey-reference for stats, mathematical models give a way to quickly rank players but it does not replace the analyst job of looking at the context behind the numbers.

For Montembeault, when he was picked up by the Habs (by MB? I don;t remember). They said that they knew all about him. He played in the Armada and Joel Bouchard knew him well. He is big and most that have coached/known him have said that he has a strong metal game, forgets quickly bad performances and bad goals.

My first impression with the Habs was that he had good reflexes and that when he didn't over react he looked really good

During this game, there were a few times where he was just compact, challenging the shooter and well positioned. When he has been on, he has been very good this season.

Reminds me on how Halak came out of nowhere and showed he was a good goaler.I hope he turns out to be a good 1B or a solid backup like Allen. 

Dach 23:59, even more than Suzuki.

Belzile 1a 2 shots in 9:35

Seems Matheson is pretty darn smooth with the puck. Liking the swap for Petry for sure.

Barron "piling" up the points, with 4 in last 5 games.:thumbs_up:

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Goalies are voodoo and there are many who have one random good season and can't replicate it.   

And many a team has regretted signing a goalie to an expensive long-term contract based on a single season. The good thing is that Montembeault is signed for another season yet before they need to make a decision on a new contract.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And many a team has regretted signing a goalie to an expensive long-term contract based on a single season. The good thing is that Montembeault is signed for another season yet before they need to make a decision on a new contract.

Yes, that was a very smart move signing him for 2 years at a very team friendly contract. I wonder if his play will affect any plans they have for Jake Allen?  Would they now trade him if the right deal came up or are they just happy to go with a Montembeault/Allen combo the next couple years as their goalie costs for both of them next year is just under 5million which is very reasonable (assuming Carey is done). 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yup, exactly why I put that timeline out there...

59 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, that was a very smart move signing him for 2 years at a very team friendly contract. I wonder if his play will affect any plans they have for Jake Allen?  Would they now trade him if the right deal came up or are they just happy to go with a Montembeault/Allen combo the next couple years as their goalie costs for both of them next year is just under 5million which is very reasonable (assuming Carey is done). 

They have no faith in Primeau, that much is clear.  I can't say I blame them either given his AHL results.  

So while they might trade Allen, any deal would have to include a stop gap for the rest of this season, and then a plan to get a partner for Montembault next season. 

I don't think they want all the rookie defencemen to be playing in front of Primeau at all, could be bad for their confidence and development. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They have no faith in Primeau, that much is clear.  I can't say I blame them either given his AHL results.  

So while they might trade Allen, any deal would have to include a stop gap for the rest of this season, and then a plan to get a partner for Montembault next season. 

I don't think they want all the rookie defencemen to be playing in front of Primeau at all, could be bad for their confidence and development. 

It definitely seems like Primeau has regressed, as you say goalies are hard to figure out.  At least with Montembeault playing this well it has bought them some time. I think they would only trade Allen if a deal came long they couldn't turn down.  Many (including myself) thought goaltending would be a weak point for the Habs this year.  That hasn't been the case. 

Goalie wise, I still think we are going to go after one of the Sabres NCAA goalies. 

UPL looks like their goalie of the future, and has played well in the NHL and AHL this season.

The Sabres could use Devon Levi as part of a package for something they need (perhaps Edmundson)

The rumour is that if the Sabres keep both UPL and Levi, then Portillo (goalie at Michigan) will force a trade, or will force free agency and become a UFA in August.   He doesn't want to be their third best prospect goalie after UPL and Portillo.

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Goalie wise, I still think we are going to go after one of the Sabres NCAA goalies. 

UPL looks like their goalie of the future, and has played well in the NHL and AHL this season.

The Sabres could use Devon Levi as part of a package for something they need (perhaps Edmundson)

The rumour is that if the Sabres keep both UPL and Levi, then Portillo (goalie at Michigan) will force a trade, or will force free agency and become a UFA in August.   He doesn't want to be their third best prospect goalie after UPL and Portillo.

At 6 foot, Levi is not the prototypical modern goalie ... at 6'6". Portillo fits that bill ... he had great freshman and sophomore seasons. but bhis Sv% and GAA have slipped a fair bit this season ... but then so has the team as a whole (from second best to second worst in the Big 10) ... but he is also a year older and a year further along so perhaps closer to NHL ready, if he gets there at all (like all goalies).

Why is 6’1 t he e magical minimum height for an NHL goalie? Why is it not 6’0, 6’2 or 6’3? I should think this should be a continuum, height is an asset but so are other skills. Add up all the aspects of the goalie prospect and choose the best, but don’t rule him out for one inch of (lacking) height.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Why is 6’1 t he e magical minimum height for an NHL goalie? Why is it not 6’0, 6’2 or 6’3? I should think this should be a continuum, height is an asset but so are other skills. Add up all the aspects of the goalie prospect and choose the best, but don’t rule him out for one inch of (lacking) height.

I get the theory that a bigger goalie covers more of the net... this saves more deflections and covers more net when you go cross crease and have to stop a one-timer, or whatever.... just cover more space so you make more saves. 

And thats a good theory

There are exceptions though.  Juuse Saaros is 5'11" and he's a great goalie.  Halak is also 5'11"

Levi has been great at the college level and on the international scene too.  I'd trade for him and give him a chance with Laval. 

Goalies are voodoo.  Get lots of good prospects and hope one works.

• Like 1

Try and trade for goalie prospects as well as drafting them... in the 2nd-7th round.

Are most of top NHL goalies now, with the team that drafted them?

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #48 - January 24, 2023 - Canadiens vs Bruins - 7:00 pm