Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wrong decisions in assessing players who are still very much in development can haunt a team for years, obviously.

You will get no argument on that point.  Of Harris, Xhekaj and Guhle I think Guhle has the most upside and is least likely to be traded. Xhekaj is one of those guys you love to have on your team and I would hate to see him go in a trade but I also think his trade value is higher than most think it would be. I see Harris as a solid, dependable guy, not dominant in any one area but a very good middle pairing defenseman. When you throw in Mailloux and Barron on the right side then you are looking at a very good group of defense prospects. 

And every team seems to dress at least 10 d-men every season, due to injuries. Xhekaj to AHL and play big minutes there, till injury call-up seems a temp fix when all lefties are healthy.

Am guessing likely stuck with Edmundson till next deadline and fingers crossed he has a healthy season?.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The weirdest thing in Van is the calls for a rebuild. When you have a top-5 NHL C, and top-5 NHL D, and a top-15 G, all young, you don’t rebuild. The whole point of rebuilding would be to acquire those pieces! But the hell of it is, they’ve got way too much cap money sunk into mid-roster clunkers. Their drafting has hit some key home runs but the ‘middle’ has been missing. They resemble pre-2022 Edmonton in that sense. 

My issue is that their OEL buyout has very short-term perspective: they'll have almost $5M of dead cap in 2025-26 and 2026-27. Is their window really that short? Apart from Miller and Myers, their team is pretty young.

43 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

When you throw in Mailloux and Barron on the right side then you are looking at a very good group of defense prospects. 

And Kovacevic, who has, I think, shown that he is a very credible third-pairing RHD.

Xhekaj should not be traded at this point. 

The guy might have a Souray type shot. We saw glimpses of that last season and he only started getting PP towards the end of his season. 

Give him lots of PP time next season and see if that heavy, hard shot can score some goals. Imagine lots of goals on top of what he already brings. 

If he can’t score then he is tradable 

Harris is outstanding and significantly better than people give him credit for. Can’t be arsed to look it up but I bet we get much more Ozone time when he is on the ice. 

Trading Guhle would be as foolish as trading McDonough or Sergachev 

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Xhekaj should not be traded at this point. 

The guy might have a Souray type shot. We saw glimpses of that last season and he only started getting PP towards the end of his season. 

Give him lots of PP time next season and see if that heavy, hard shot can score some goals. Imagine lots of goals on top of what he already brings. 

If he can’t score then he is tradable 

Harris is outstanding and significantly better than people give him credit for. Can’t be arsed to look it up but I bet we get much more Ozone time when he is on the ice. 

Trading Guhle would be as foolish as trading McDonough or Sergachev 

Trading either of our young D would be foolish at this point. Smart teams make those types of trades to pick up  missing piece to win. We aren’t there yet. We have more than one whole to fill, and need our young players to progress just to make the playoffs. I don’t think we can make the playoffs for at least two years.

We aren’t close to winning anything yet, so at this point, unless someone comes with a crazy stupid offer for Harris and Xhekaj, no reason to move either right now. As far as Guhle goes, you don’t move him period.  He may turn out to be the best player in any trade for him. That includes if winnipeg offered PLD straight up for Guhle.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

IMG_0215.png

They seem chummy ... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Dubois to Preds?

Is why making cap room, someone else speculated. Kinda hope so.:ph34r:

Karlsson, DeBrincat, get paid to take Blake Wheeler, Scheifele ... there are options ... including saving real-world salary $$$ in a rebuild.

Dubois (at 8 years, $8.5M) to LA for Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, and Montreal's 2024 second-round selection.  Pretty good return for Winnipeg, especially if Kupari gets a better opportunity than he had with the Kings.  I think he has another level to get to.  With the Jets looking for players that can play now, matching that return would have been tough.

Shows that "fit" is important.

Just now, Fanpuck33 said:

So, the Preds gave away Johansen and bought out Duchene to make room for Ryan O'Rielly and Luke Schenn? Ok.

Old school Trotz?

1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Korpisalo gets 5 year deal worth 20 million?!?!?! Wow. What a massive overpay.

Cashing in on a very good 22/23 season and Ottawa's ongoing desperation for a goaltender.

The kid already said he plans on another year in Europe

So t should be:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/expect-canadiens-to-be-silent-in-free-agency-focus-on-addition-by-subtraction/

"Hughes said the Canadiens will take their time deciding what to do with the six-foot-two, 194-pound defenceman."

I'm actually surprised that Gudas only got 3 years @ $4M ... thought someone would go crazy ... still a healthy raise from $2.5M

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Cashing in on a very good 22/23 season and Ottawa's ongoing desperation for a goaltender.

He was miles better than Merzlikins, but that didn't take much. He was good down the stretch, but as good as he was early in the Edmonton series, he was that bad in the last three games. That's what he is - brilliant at times, but mostly mediocre or bad. I just don't see how he isn't a guy that just goes year-to-year being a backup somewhere.

51 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Orlov to Carolina, 2 years, $7.75 million AAV.  A higher AAV for a shorter-term deal, interesting approach there.

Poehling to Philly, 1 x $1.4M.

Funny...Poehling is a sure-fire top-6 C. Or so the internet fandom constantly assured us back in his prospect days 🙄