Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

35 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agree that a 7th was a huge price to pay. But, at least they were closer to a playoff spot than us in giving up the 31 and 37 for Newhook

31+37 is worth maybe the same as a 25th overall pick, which is a massive difference in value from 7th overall.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Here is my lineup, (*) means they are playing there because of Dvorak's injury:

Monahan-Suzuki-Caufield

Hoffman(*)-Dach-Anderson

Slafkovsky(*)-Newhook(*)-Gallagher

Pezzetta-Evans-HaveyPinard

Ylonen, Armia

Matheson-Baron(*)

Guhle-Savard

Harris-Kovacevic

Xhekaj-Wideman

Baron????

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You can criticize Dorian for making the deal for DeBrincat thinking he’d be able to convince him to resign with an up and coming team last year. I thought he needed a top dman more than a scorer, and have been critical of his goalie pickups - although I liked him dumping Murrey on the leafs😁

I thought the price last year for DeBrincatwas high, but I liked that he was bold and was trying to get the Sens to to take the next step. I also thought it was great that he went for a young player that could have contributed and been part of the Senators window given the other young players, rather than a chasing after a close to washed up free agent.  

I don’t see how anyone can be critical of the deal he made. Unlike Dubois, DeBrincat wanted to go home and was willing to take less money and term to do so. Dorian had three choices.

1) see if DeBrincat can help them get into the playoffs this year, and if they do, hope he changes his mind and stays, or lose him for nothing. Even if went this route, and they made the playoffs, i think DeBrincat would have left.

2) keep him, retain 50% and move him at the deadline. I doubt if that would have made others on the team happy. I’m pretty sure they’d rather try and get help now to improve, which moving him does.

3) take whatever you can get now, add an asset who can help, get prospects, and free up cap space to get someone who will help them.

All things considered, I think he did the best he could have given the circumstances, and if he gets Tarasanko and gets in the playoffs, I’d say it’s a win.

this shows how a player who really wants to go home can in this type of circumstance can force a teams hand, in comparison to a guy like Dubois, who just wanted out of frigidipeg, and took the most money, term, to go to the beaches of La La Land and used going home as leverage.

You can take gambles.

If the gamble worked and Debrincat re-signs he would get credit for it.

When the gamble fails and it costs the team assets, he has to take the blame.

If he only gets credit when it works, but no blame when it doesnt, then it wasnt a gamble, was it.

Of course to a certain extent all moves made by a GM have an element of being a gamble... and the end results are always what the GM is judged by.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agree that a 7th was a huge price to pay. But, at least they were closer to a playoff spot than us in giving up the 31 and 37 for Newhook, and taking a dman at 5. We could have taken Leonard, who projects to be much better than Newhook, and we could have taken another dman at 31, who could have been a middle pairing dman. Could have taken Gulyayev ourselves, and taken Gibson or Dvorak as well with the 37.

We have 4 years of team control on Newhook before he can be UFA... and 31+37 is not equivalent to 7+39... not even close.

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Baron????

oh, yes, forgot to use a different maker for those potential going to the AHL, will update

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Absolutely. But the big problem was the price he paid for DeBrincat to start, I think, without the certainty of an extension. Now he was stuck--with a problem of his own making.

my guess is that some of the deals last year were also meant to increase the value of the team before the sale: having a more competitive team.

Injuries played a big part in their season

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

31+37 is worth maybe the same as a 25th overall pick, which is a massive difference in value from 7th overall.

Sure, but DiBrincat was a 40 goal scorer, not a 14 goal scorer.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

You can take gambles.

If the gamble worked and Debrincat re-signs he would get credit for it.

When the gamble fails and it costs the team assets, he has to take the blame.

If he only gets credit when it works, but no blame when it doesnt, then it wasnt a gamble, was it.

Of course to a certain extent all moves made by a GM have an element of being a gamble... and the end results are always what the GM is judged by.  

Oh, I totally agree with that, it was a higher price I’d want to pay, and it’s not like he’s a major market that is attractive for an upcoming UFA. And he probably will pay the price. Having said that, I think he got the best he could do, when a player was actually sincere in his desire to go home, unlike a guy that everyone was hoping wanted to play for his hometown team in Montreal.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

We have 4 years of team control on Newhook before he can be UFA... and 31+37 is not equivalent to 7+39... not even close.

Big difference between the price for a 14 goal scorer and a 40 goals scorer.

just saying: I am very happy with the draft, the trades and the contracts.

Hugh-Gort has done well this off season.

I continue to say that I will not judge this team until the 2024-2025 season, I truly hope the injury situation is fixed an that Laval is used better for development in 2023-2024

Happy Thoughts GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

An interesting turn of events.

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

An interesting turn of events.

This is the kid that fought his own teammate and is just an idiot, correct.

17 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Leafs just signed Caufield to a 2 way contract.  

https://www.mapleleafsinsider.com/Leafs-sign-Habs-star-Cole-Caufield-brother-256113

The first four words of your post are a configuration I hope never, ever to see again.

1 hour ago, DON said:

This is the kid that fought his own teammate and is just an idiot, correct.

"According to The Athletic's Rick Carpiniello, DeAngelo and Rangers goaltender Alexandar Georgiev were involved in a brief altercation inside the tunnel leading to the team's locker room immediately following the loss. DeAngelo was on the ice for Pittsburgh's overtime goal while Georgiev was in net for the Rangers." - Pete Blackburn, Feb 1, 2021 - CBS Sposrts

And some do agree on the "idiot" part

"Tony DeAngelo isn’t unique in his ubiquitous comments that scream racism, homophobia, and rightwing fanaticism… he’s just not afraid to say them in public ... And that’s the problem with Tony DeAngelo. Well, truly the problem with Tony DeAngelo is he’s a racist and a bigot, who happens to be a talented hockey player ... Tony DeAngelo is a conspiracy theory loving, fact denying, non-inclusive, bigot ... In one season in the OHL, DeAngelo was suspended twice for “contravening the rule which attempts to keep homophobic, racist, sexist, and the other derogatory language used by small minds – out of the game" ... Follow that by his brazen support of Donald Trump…including the factually incorrect and unsubstantiated statement by Trump that he won the 2020 election, and COVID denying, a picture begins to be drawn ... The problem with Tony DeAngelo, is there are thousands of Tony DeAngelo’s we never see or hear from publicly, but they torment marginalized people and players nonetheless ... “For every vocal racist, there’s a thousand silent ones,” Akim Aliu ... The problem is, there are thousands of Tony DeAngelo’s"  -  CKSN.ca - February 3, 2021

Ya, that was some of the stuff i remember hearing.

Anyways, hope Habs have zero interest and assume they wouldnt touch with ten foot pole,

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Anyways, hope Habs have zero interest and assume they wouldnt touch with ten foot pole,

Doubt an NHL team bites, but I expect his agent is burning up the phone/text/e-mail lines to all the AHL teams and maybe even select ECHL teams (e.g., Atlanta, Cincinatti, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Orlando).

1 hour ago, DON said:

100% agree, but it did sound like Carolina wanted him back according to Friedman/Marek back around the draft. Not sure if anything new came up after that with DeAngelo (i.e. galchenyuk type situation).

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

100% agree, but it did sound like Carolina wanted him back according to Friedman/Marek back around the draft. Not sure if anything new came up after that with DeAngelo (i.e. galchenyuk type situation).

That deal was agreed to and submitted but the league vetoed it due to a relatively obscure rule.  I think Carolina realized they can get DeAngelo cheaper by not doing the move, suspecting that Philly would buy him out if they could get the trade done.  Instead of getting him at $2.5M (50% retention), I expect he'll sign for a bit less.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That deal was agreed to and submitted but the league vetoed it due to a relatively obscure rule.  I think Carolina realized they can get DeAngelo cheaper by not doing the move, suspecting that Philly would buy him out if they could get the trade done.  Instead of getting him at $2.5M (50% retention), I expect he'll sign for a bit less.

That makes sense. Although, I think even they thought would have to give up more, and it would cost more theyd be better served by trying to get Karlsson. Having said hat I hope they sign this punk again and get knocked out early!