Habs acquire (rights to) Alex Newhook from Avs

huzer

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Is Newhook a risk? Sure.

Are 31 and 37 not risks though?

Its like trading 31 and 37 for 16.  Most people would be fine if that was the move.

I would have preferred to draft some RHD. Amd hate giving up a high 2nd with Florida’s 1st

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would have preferred to draft some RHD. Amd hate giving up a high 2nd with Florida’s 1st

Well, it does seem there's some potential to move down and draft Reinbacher.

Just now, huzer said:

Well, it does seem there's some potential to move down and draft Reinbacher.

I’d prefer taking the highway skilled players available with a 5th pick rather than trade down. Michkov, Smith or Leonard would be my preference than trading down to 9.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d prefer taking the highway skilled players available with a 5th pick rather than trade down. Michkov, Smith or Leonard would be my preference than trading down to 9.

Moi aussi 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yup. That's exactly how I feel. I would be happy with any one of those 3 guys. I would only trade down if I knew I could still get Leonard but if he is there at 6 I would bet Arizona grabs him. 

I was merely providing an option for an available RHD. :) I do think it's possible.

It seems there's a pretty consensus top 4. I guess you can include Michkov as top 5. Maybe the Habs are playing coy with their interest in Michkov, but it doesn't appear they are inclined to select him. My gut says if he's the available pick at 5, the Habs move down. Of course, if your deal is with Philly or Washington, you run the risk of Arizona taking your preferred player. Whereas if they view Leonard/Reinbacher as equals and are happy with either, well, there really isn't a risk if Michkov isn't their guy. 

These thoughts should probably be more in the draft thread than in this thread, but here we are.

• Like 1

What's the ceiling on this guy, could he be a Plekanec level player? Killing penalties is promising, let's hope he has some defensive acumen. He's scored a point per game at every minor league level. Plex had his first 20 goal season when he was 24 and Newhook is only 22.

If Hughes can get him on a sweetheart deal similar to Dach we could be in good shape.

8 hours ago, Neech said:

What's the ceiling on this guy, could he be a Plekanec level player? Killing penalties is promising, let's hope he has some defensive acumen. He's scored a point per game at every minor league level. Plex had his first 20 goal season when he was 24 and Newhook is only 22.

If Hughes can get him on a sweetheart deal similar to Dach we could be in good shape.

It's worth noting that Newhook averaged 2 seconds per game of SH TOI this past season; he averaged 5 seconds a game in his rookie year.  He could be a penalty killer but he certainly isn't one yet in the NHL.

I don't think his ceiling is as high as Dach's but the floor is high enough for him to contribute for a while.  If all goes well, he's a second-liner.  If the offence doesn't come around though, he's more of a third-liner.  But he'd still be one that's under club control for five years.  I wouldn't call Newhook a true core piece for the Habs moving forward but rather an important part of the supporting cast.

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's worth noting that Newhook averaged 2 seconds per game of SH TOI this past season; he averaged 5 seconds a game in his rookie year.  He could be a penalty killer but he certainly isn't one yet in the NHL.

I don't think his ceiling is as high as Dach's but the floor is high enough for him to contribute for a while.  If all goes well, he's a second-liner.  If the offence doesn't come around though, he's more of a third-liner.  But he'd still be one that's under club control for five years.  I wouldn't call Newhook a true core piece for the Habs moving forward but rather an important part of the supporting cast.

I see him as a great LW with Dach. With someone like Anderson on their right to play a fast and high energy game. From what I say on hokey-reference, he doesn't seem to have great FO% but he could take the odd lefty FO and help Dach when waived from the dot.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't call Newhook a true core piece for the Habs moving forward but rather an important part of the supporting cast.

Most likely more value than a 31st pick like Mikhail Gulyayev & a 2nd am guessing?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Most likely more value than a 31st pick like Mikhail Gulyayev & a 2nd am guessing?

I agree ... the way some have reacted I wondered if Fantilli was expected to slip to 31st.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

That would be their assessment of it.  With 31 and 37, you're likely to get players that have a chance at being in that supporting cast level.  (Some outperform that for sure but you're not expecting a core piece at this point.)  They've determined that one proven to be at that level with perhaps more upside to come is worth more than two maybes.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That would be their assessment of it.  With 31 and 37, you're likely to get players that have a chance at being in that supporting cast level.  (Some outperform that for sure but you're not expecting a core piece at this point.)  They've determined that one proven to be at that level with perhaps more upside to come is worth more than two maybes.

I would have like to have seen if we could have used those two picks to get another earlier first. How much do you think bundling the 31 and 37 would have allowed us to move up??

would it have been enough to get in that 15-17 range for a Sandin-Pellika or Honzek? I would rather have taken a dman around there than at 5, or tried to get a power forward like Honzek.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

I would have like to have seen if we could have used those two picks to get another earlier first. How much do you think bundling the 31 and 37 would have allowed us to move up??

would it have been enough to get in that 15-17 range for a Sandin-Pellika or Honzek? I would rather have taken a dman around there than at 5, or tried to get a power forward like Honzek.

Zero chance it would have gotten them to 15-17.  Teams were trying to trade up last night and had no takers so I'm not sure they'd have been able to do so.  If memory serves, picks in those areas in the past when combined go are enough to move up about 4-6 spots, it's not a big jump.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The same reason fans want their team to trade up is why teams were not willing to trade down ... it is a deep draft.

I’m getting a bit weary of fans declaiming that the Habs “should have” traded up or traded down, etc., etc. - as though fantastic deals for draft maneuvering are just sitting there and management is pig-heatedly refusing to exploit them. In fact there was very little such jockeying in round one, by any team. That tells you something.

As I’ve said before regarding Newhook, if the outcome of our two second-rounders was an identical player to Newhook, we’d be happy and regard it as a success. So yes, sure, I’d have preferred to keep one of those picks and maybe bargain COL down to a 2nd and 3rd. But big whoop. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Zero chance it would have gotten them to 15-17.  Teams were trying to trade up last night and had no takers so I'm not sure they'd have been able to do so.  If memory serves, picks in those areas in the past when combined go are enough to move up about 4-6 spots, it's not a big jump.

Thanks!

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/alex-newhook-trade-analysis-montreal-canadiens-colorado-avalanche/

"Ultimately, as a team with a finite competitive window and a need to maximize on-ice talent, the Avalanche likely didn't give up on Newhook so much as they ran out of time to develop him."

51 minutes ago, DON said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/alex-newhook-trade-analysis-montreal-canadiens-colorado-avalanche/

"Ultimately, as a team with a finite competitive window and a need to maximize on-ice talent, the Avalanche likely didn't give up on Newhook so much as they ran out of time to develop him."

This is the hope!

From what I’ve read, Newhook did get a short opportunity on top lines then was shuffled to bottom lines with grinders. 

I want to see him with Suzuki and Caufield to see what he brings. 

23 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

[…]

I want to see him with Suzuki and Caufield to see what he brings. 

not me, that line would be too small. Suzuki with Monahan would get some respite on Left handed face offs 

If I remember correctly, Newhook plays an aggressive uptempo game like Dach; I think that is a better fit, and he can take some face offs there too

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

not me, that line would be too small. Suzuki with Monahan would get some respite on Left handed face offs 

If I remember correctly, Newhook plays an aggressive uptempo game like Dach; I think that is a better fit, and he can take some face offs there too

I tend to agree, I think Suzuki and Caufield need more of a physical presence to compliment them but you never know how the chemistry works until you try it. 

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If true this is a decent deal. 

Kind of think a 3 year would have been better as this takes him to UFA. 

Good salary though 

He’s still RFA at the end of the 4 year deal.