2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well, I like how well PHI is playing despite many questioning the hiring of Tortorella (I forget if Brière hired him or just kept him there). I also like how he made something out of a bad situation. This may be a desperate move like the Dvorak trade, but it may also help out his team.

I still think he is clever, "Savvy Danny B" of sorts.

The Flyers are playing well and are one of the surprises in the NHL so far this year so Briere is doing something right. He obviously had to make the best of a bad situation here. 

According to the USA Hockey National Team Development Program website, his favorite team growing up was the Pittsburgh Penguins ... could be as simple as that.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

According to the USA Hockey National Team Development Program website, his favorite team growing up was the Pittsburgh Penguins ... could be as simple as that.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. On draft day he was excited to be drafted by Philly. Something happened between then and now. We will probably never know what. 

From an article I read.

"The Pittsburgh Penguins were definitely my favorite team growing up," Gauthier said on a USA Hockey video.

With that theory being a little too hockey kayfabe, what about having to meet the demands of coach John Tortorella?

Gauthier seemed fond of him, actually. He told the Empty Netters podcast eight months ago that he shook Torts' hand at an earlier Flyers development camp and told him that he looked forward to playing for him.

Gauthier's motivations are a mystery.

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it's a little more complicated than that. On draft day he was excited to be drafted by Philly. Something happened between then and now. We will probably never know what. 

From an article I read.

"The Pittsburgh Penguins were definitely my favorite team growing up," Gauthier said on a USA Hockey video.

With that theory being a little too hockey kayfabe, what about having to meet the demands of coach John Tortorella?

Gauthier seemed fond of him, actually. He told the Empty Netters podcast eight months ago that he shook Torts' hand at an earlier Flyers development camp and told him that he looked forward to playing for him.

Gauthier's motivations are a mystery.

I did say "could" ... I doubt it is as simple as anything that has been suggested.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I did say "could" ... I doubt it is as simple as anything that has been suggested.

I know you did say "could" and weren't suggesting that was the reason.  It's a mystery but we can always speculate which is what we do here. 

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Multiple sources claim that Kevin Hayes, who has been something of a role model for Gauthier, had something to do with it.

And Hayes denies it, he has been getting a lot of grief because of the allegations. 

Kevin Hayes not involved in Cutter Gauthier's decision, sounds off on online backlash | TSN

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Multiple sources claim that Kevin Hayes, who has been something of a role model for Gauthier, had something to do with it.

Hayes denies it.  Doesnt mean it isnt true but he does deny it.

He also says he got some shitty treatment from fans talking about his brother *jimmy, who died*

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Gauthier wanted to sign last year.  Flyers didnt want to give bonuses and that pissed him off.

More specifically, Friedman reports the Flyers didn't want to do it right away as it would create a "bonus carry-over" for 23/24 ... but apparently would have done so once the 23/24 cap year started ... but logically it seems to me that also would have negated the possibility of "burning a year" on his ELC.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

More specifically, Friedman reports the Flyers didn't want to do it right away as it would create a "bonus carry-over" for 23/24 ... but apparently would have done so once the 23/24 cap year started ... but logically it seems to me that also would have negated the possibility of "burning a year" on his ELC.

Friedman is one guy who is usually pretty good at uncovering things. I definitely understand what the Flyers were doing. However if that alone is causing Gauthier to take his ball and go home then it was likely only a matter of time before it was something else. Maybe the Flyers are better off with Drysdale. 

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

More specifically, they didn't want to increase the already existing carryover which wound up over a million as it is.  Having said that, there are ways around that such as signing Gauthier but not playing him every game to minimize the bonus charge.  He wouldn't have hit an A or B bonus, it would have only been GP-related (probably something at 5, 10, and 15).

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It looks like nobody told the Ottawa Senators about the new coach bounce. What a disaster. 

Looks like the roster was the problem.

A great opportunity for the Sens at the trade deadline to “re-tool”

they have too many finesse players and their Ds are struggling a lot. 
I wish the Habs would get one of their better forwards; I just don’t know whom would fit the Habs rebuild better 

I doubt they would trade their young forwards and we wouldn't want their old ones.

Greig might be a nice addition for the Habs but surely not on the trading block.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I doubt they would trade their young forwards and we wouldn't want their old ones.

Greig might be a nice addition for the Habs but surely not on the trading block.

Yup and even if they were willing to trade young forwards, they wouldnt do it inside the division 

Apart from bizarre situations like Chicago dumping Dach, a rebuilding/retooling team is generally not a great trade partner for another rebuilding/retooling team. Both want prospects and young players. This doesn't rule out a positional swap, of course, but it does reduce the odds of there being a good fit. 

I just don't see Ottawa and Montreal as good trading partners, neither team wants to help the other. Not sure what the problem is in Ottawa as they seem to have a lot of talent, lots of good forwards, Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun on defense. The mix of talent or something else (locker room?) is not right there. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just don't see Ottawa and Montreal as good trading partners, neither team wants to help the other. Not sure what the problem is in Ottawa as they seem to have a lot of talent, lots of good forwards, Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun on defense. The mix of talent or something else (locker room?) is not right there. 

on paper their D looks better than how they are playing right now. Plus some key defenders were hurt early this season, they have not found their game yet.

The forwards are over-committing to hits and chasing the physical play. Vet's like Giroux are playing great, Monahan would fit perfectly in their lineup (just as a reference, not suggesting a trade).

That is why I wonder if a trade between the teams could help both.

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

on paper their D looks better than how they are playing right now. Plus some key defenders were hurt early this season, they have not found their game yet.

The forwards are over-committing to hits and chasing the physical play. Vet's like Giroux are playing great, Monahan would fit perfectly in their lineup (just as a reference, not suggesting a trade).

That is why I wonder if a trade between the teams could help both.

But at this point Ottawa is not trading for a pending UFA to try to "rescue" their season ... at the deadline, they would be looking to deal players for picks/prospects/young-NHLers.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But at this point Ottawa is not trading for a pending UFA to try to "rescue" their season ... at the deadline, they would be looking to deal players for picks/prospects/young-NHLers.

Absolutely, Ottawa has dug far too big a hole to rescue this season. They have some games in hand but they are 19 points out of a playoff spot. Say goodnight. 

The NHL’s best surprises and biggest disappointments halfway through the 2023-24 season - The Athletic

Image result for h =a ha image funny

Kings;

Biggest disappointment: PL Dubois not making a difference

That was the goal when Kings general manager Rob Blake moved Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo and Rasmus Kupari for the 25-year-old Dubois. He was supposed to give Los Angeles unparalleled depth at center, fitting in with Anze Kopitar, Phillip Danault and Blake Lizotte. Instead, Dubois is headed for career lows over a full season as he’s on a pace for just 15 goals and 34 points. He had three goals in his first four games and has only four in 33 since. ...

7 minutes ago, DON said:

The NHL’s best surprises and biggest disappointments halfway through the 2023-24 season - The Athletic

Image result for h =a ha image funny

Kings;

Biggest disappointment: PL Dubois not making a difference

That was the goal when Kings general manager Rob Blake moved Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo and Rasmus Kupari for the 25-year-old Dubois. He was supposed to give Los Angeles unparalleled depth at center, fitting in with Anze Kopitar, Phillip Danault and Blake Lizotte. Instead, Dubois is headed for career lows over a full season as he’s on a pace for just 15 goals and 34 points. He had three goals in his first four games and has only four in 33 since. ...

It may be an interesting offseason ... his NTC doesn't kick-in until 24/25 ... ***might*** the LAK, with Danault and Kopitar signed for two more years each, try to move him before the NTC kicks in?

P.S. - ***NOT*** advocating that HuGo trade for him.