2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

PLD has only 5 goals and 7 assists so far for the Kings, maybe Hughes was smart not to sell the farm to get him. 

Or maybe he is pining for the Bell Centre.

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

PLD has only 5 goals and 7 assists so far for the Kings, maybe Hughes was smart not to sell the farm to get him. 

Could be an outlier season similar to Anderson? Or at least I hope in Anderson’s case it is indeed an outlier season 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Could be an outlier season similar to Anderson? Or at least I hope in Anderson’s case it is indeed an outlier season 

Kings will make the playoffs and having Danault-Kopitar-Dubois could be tough to match at centre, or so i saw noted by some writer.

It sure looks like Carolina is gearing up to make a goalie move, they've waived Antti Raanta.  Their only other NHL-contracted goalie is Yaniv Perets, the first-year pro who's in the ECHL.

Hypothetically, an Allen to Carolina for a pick and Mrazek (assuming he clears waivers) could make sense as the Habs could then stash Raanta in Laval, giving them some insurance behind Primeau.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He was given an excellent opportunity there and obv will get more chances with the length of his contract.

The plan was and season began with him at 2C (playing with Moore and Fiala) and Danault was slotting in at 3C but the underperformance of PLD combined with the excellent play of Danault got Danault promoted to play with Moore, Fiala line they have become the second line and one of most consistent in league and PLD plays third in a role with lower expectations, PLD was also  off the PP for a while but is back on PP2, but he is also playing under 15 min/game a lot of the time in past month.   I say all of this b/c imo he was given excellent opportunity and didn’t seize it, continues to struggle offensively but is strong enough overall to centre a decent shit down third line that will indeed make the Kings a very rough out.  They are deep and good and the questions about goaltending seem to have been answered so far.

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It sure looks like Carolina is gearing up to make a goalie move, they've waived Antti Raanta.  Their only other NHL-contracted goalie is Yaniv Perets, the first-year pro who's in the ECHL.

Hypothetically, an Allen to Carolina for a pick and Mrazek (assuming he clears waivers) could make sense as the Habs could then stash Raanta in Laval, giving them some insurance behind Primeau.

I like the idea ... solid veteran in Laval ... added roster spot for a skater.

Hurricanes play tomorrow, so one assumes that whatever happens is done today.

If Raanta clears and they had to play/dress him tomorrow would that impact his waiver status if they then traded him?

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hurricanes play tomorrow, so one assumes that whatever happens is done today.

If Raanta clears and they had to play/dress him tomorrow would that impact his waiver status if they then traded him?

If he plays tomorrow (and it sounds like Perets is coming up so he probably wouldn't), all it would do is knock one game off the ten needed before he'd need to clear waivers.  He could clear, play Sunday, and still be waiver-exempt.

This feels like a Monday move to me.  They get through Sunday with Perets as the backup, then they're off until Tuesday.  Make the move Monday (saving a bit of cash instead of doing it Sunday) and whoever they get is available for Tuesday night.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If he plays tomorrow (and it sounds like Perets is coming up so he probably wouldn't), all it would do is knock one game off the ten needed before he'd need to clear waivers.  He could clear, play Sunday, and still be waiver-exempt.

This feels like a Monday move to me.  They get through Sunday with Perets as the backup, then they're off until Tuesday.  Make the move Monday (saving a bit of cash instead of doing it Sunday) and whoever they get is available for Tuesday night.

I realize the Habs may not be their trading partner here but if they were, I’m having a really hard time deciding which goalie between Allen and Primeau I hope is dealt. 

stopwatch_500px_loop.gif&ehk=e8PDzltZ7G5

To resolve the 3-goalie logjam I would not even expect much in return for Allen ... Raanta would provide a veteran in Laval to mentor Dobes and provide support to the Rocket, as well as an emergency goalie for the Habsns will not be their trade partner ... but I fear the Canadiens will not be the team providing the 'Canes new goalie ... but that doesn't mean they might not be able to get involved to add Antti for Laval.

I don't expect much of a return for Allen either. There are cheaper options for teams salary wise. On another note I just noticed after a hot start that KK has cooled off considerably. He has 15 points in 31 games after being a point a game for the first 12 games so just 3 points in his last 18 games. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't expect much of a return for Allen either. There are cheaper options for teams salary wise. On another note I just noticed after a hot start that KK has cooled off considerably. He has 15 points in 31 games after being a point a game for the first 12 games so just 3 points in his last 18 games. 

F KK

Those 3 letters speak volumes. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I noticed the same thing and was very glad to see it

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think DJ Smith gets fired this week, Ottawa has to do something. They have way too much talent to be where they are. 

It sure feels like something has to give there, doesn't it?  The challenge is that they don't have a GM right now and aren't likely to do anything on that front until the offseason.  That means they can basically only hire an interim option.

and they do not really have a better alternative in their organization. I think they will ride the storm and will be happy with a high draft pick that they may use to improve their NHL roster.

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

and they do not really have a better alternative in their organization. I think they will ride the storm and will be happy with a high draft pick that they may use to improve their NHL roster.

They have Jacques Martin as a consultant now while assistants Jack Capuano and Davis Payne have NHL head coaching experience.  In terms of internal options, I'd suggest they have more options than a lot of teams do.

I doubt Martin will come out of retirement (adding) to coach behind the bench.

I do not think Capuano's coaching record (Left) is much of an improvement over Smith (Right) on a rebuilding team. Four quarters for the Dollar:

image.png

Payne doesn't seem like a big improvement either:

image.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
(adding) to coach behind the bench.

The Wild going with Gustavsson tonight against the Pens in what could probably be the last game of M-A Fleury in Pittsburgh.

I know the NHL is a business, but geez...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

And Jacques Martin it is.  He's Ottawa's new interim head coach with Smith (and Payne) being let go.

I'll be dammed!

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubt Martin will come out of retirement (adding) to coach behind the bench.

I doubt he was actually hired as a consultant, or at least JUST as a consultant ... when he was hired, I expect he agreed to take over if and when Staios deemed it necessary.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

And Jacques Martin it is.  He's Ottawa's new interim head coach with Smith (and Payne) being let go.

Wonder which of Martin's buddies is brought on board as an assistant to replace Payne?