2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Exactly, why didn't they say that. People would have stopped asking questions and respected his privacy. The way it was handled is very odd. 

Well, Chicago has not exactly been a blue-chip organization in recent years. Even their ridiculous attempt to self-sabotage in the name of tanking only landed them the 1st overall pick through lottery luck. It may still be an organizational gong-show there.

17 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Exactly, why didn't they say that. People would have stopped asking questions and respected his privacy. The way it was handled is very odd. 

Perhaps Perry doesn't want ANY details made public ... which seems consistent with what his agent released.

Wow, there is a crazy new rumour regarding Perry that claims he was allegedly taking his fathering role of Beddard a tad bit too seriously.  All of this apparently started during the Hawks Mom's trip.   i.e. Perry might have banged Beddard's mom.

As insane as that rumour is it does seem to fit what the Hawks and others have been saying.  ex:  Perry is gone for the foreseeable future, there is no way back for him on the Hawks, etc.  It also explains the cryptic info they've been putting out.  When someone on a team fools around with 1 of the teammates wives etc its not like the team involved has ever admitted it and outright say it publicly. They've always kept it quiet and dumped the person who did it.  

Connor did say that his Mom "is "super-pumped" to join the team for the team's fling". 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is no one credible reporting it.  Its a bunch of B.S. that has taken off on twitter.

You wouldn't expect a credible reporter to discuss it as they don't want to get dragged down to the level of the National Inquirer.  I think there is an unwritten rule that reporters generally respect the players privacy and don't comment on indiscretions that may or may not have taken place which is fine. I could care less what Perry did or did not do. It's not my business. 

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, there is a crazy new rumour regarding Perry that claims he was allegedly taking his fathering role of Beddard a tad bit too seriously.  All of this apparently started during the Hawks Mom's trip.   i.e. Perry might have banged Beddard's mom ...

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is no one credible reporting it.  Its a bunch of B.S. that has taken off on twitter.

This type of rumour doesn't even merit mention ... so much so in fact that clickbait site Hockey30 posted this (Google translate):

While fans of the Chicago Blackhawks and the entire NHL are wondering why Corey Perry was punished by the Hawks by dropping him from the team, a completely ridiculous and nasty rumor has started spreading around the web that Perry had an intimate relationship with Connor Bedard's mother.

Horrible. The rumor grew so much that an NBC journalist had to deny the falsehood. But what are people thinking to start such a rumor? We put ourselves in the place of Connor Bedard's mother and it must be horrible to see what people can make up about her private life. 

Further

We should tell the 98.5 FM journalist, Louis-Philippe Guay (who Tweeted that the rumour was crazy, probably false, but amusing), that this rumor is not at all amusing.

We wonder how he would feel if we talked about his mother or his wife like that. We bet he would find it less funny. Strange that a journalist from a reputable station like 98.5 FM finds this kind of gossip amusing. We are still talking about the most listened to radio station in Quebec. Very weird.

We are speechless in the face of the dark side of this rumor. Very happy that the journalists did not hesitate before denying it.

Connor Bedard's mother declined interview requests. She does well. Why would you want to add fuel to this rumor which must affect his entire family?

Our thoughts are with her and her son. 

Our thoughts are also with Corey Perry's wife. There's nothing funny about a false rumor of adultery.

When Hockey30 is trashing it, that shows just how LOW this rumour stooped.

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You wouldn't expect a credible reporter to discuss it as they don't want to get dragged down to the level of the National Inquirer.  I think there is an unwritten rule that reporters generally respect the players privacy and don't comment on indiscretions that may or may not have taken place which is fine. I could care less what Perry did or did not do. It's not my business. 

While true, its more than that.  There would be no credible reporter or news agency that would say anything about it because they'd be worried about being sued for either libel or slander.  

I can't see it being true but who knows because that info does potentially fit what is going on.  However, Perry is a professional, and afaik he was thinking of being a Coach after he retires and if this is true it would basically kill that possibility.  Plus, Perry is married and has a 6 yr old son, but that could be why he's asking for privacy and is with his family.  i.e. he could be trying to reconcile his marriage.  

Who knows.  

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

While true, its more than that.  There would be no credible reporter or news agency that would say anything about it because they'd be worried about being sued for either libel or slander.  

True, no credible reporter or news agency would want to touch this with a 10 foot pole. There are legal considerations as you mentioned plus you would think they would want to take the high moral ground and not mess with someone's life. 

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I can't see it being true but who knows because that info does potentially fit what is going on.  However, Perry is a professional, and afaik he was thinking of being a Coach after he retires and if this is true it would basically kill that possibility.  Plus, Perry is married and has a 6 yr old son, but that could be why he's asking for privacy and is with his family.  i.e. he could be trying to reconcile his marriage.  

Who knows.  

WHY continue to give it any shred of credibility and pollute these pages?  

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I also wonder how much more rope DJ Smith has in Ottawa. They just can't seem to get it going despite having a lot of talent. 

Did anyone watch the Sens Panthers game?  I just saw a post claiming the refs gave all 10 players on the ice 10 min misconducts.  I looked it up and saw the play and the refs did.  lol    With about 7:30 left in the 3rd there was a big scrum behind the Panthers net after Brady got out of the penalty box and went in on a breakaway.   None of the players in the scrum were settling down so they were all kicked out of the game.  After the penalties the Sens had 6 players left on the bench and and Flor had 7.  

Another source said there was 2.5 minutes in penalties per minute of game time.

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Did anyone watch the Sens Panthers game?  I just saw a post claiming the refs gave all 10 players on the ice 10 min misconducts.  I looked it up and saw the play and the refs did.  lol    With about 7:30 left in the 3rd there was a big scrum behind the Panthers net after Brady got out of the penalty box and went in on a breakaway.   None of the players in the scrum were settling down so they were all kicked out of the game.  After the penalties the Sens had 6 players left on the bench and and Flor had 7.  

Another source said there was 2.5 minutes in penalties per minute of game time.

I watched parts of it, the game got out of hand for the Sens when DJ Smith challenged the second goal on an offside, and he lost; that led to the third goal.

The team is very fragile, Brady was out there trying to raise havoc instead of playing hockey. Most of the team lost focus.

I don't know if they switched goalies, but there were two goal I saw that were really sloppy.

Talent wise, I think the Sens are on-par with the Habs. But mentally, they have not learned yet how to win as a team. It will be another lost season for them.

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We aren't even seeing trashy places like the enquirer or Tmz pick this up.  The only report is some screenshots discussing it in Dms/Text messages by two totally unknown and anonymous people.  That tells me there is absolutely nothing to the story and isn't worthy of a second look. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Talent wise, I think the Sens are on-par with the Habs. But mentally, they have not learned yet how to win as a team. It will be another lost season for them.

The Sens are far superior offensively, Stutzle, Giroux, Tkachuk, Tarasenko, Batherson, Norris. I agree they haven't learned to win yet as a team and I think coaching is part of that. 

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

We aren't even seeing trashy places like the enquirer or Tmz pick this up.  The only report is some screenshots discussing it in Dms/Text messages by two totally unknown and anonymous people.  That tells me there is absolutely nothing to the story and isn't worthy of a second look. 

Well, seems like Perry did something pretty egregiously wrong, in any case: Blackhawks say Corey Perry engaged in unacceptable conduct and move to terminate his contract (msn.com)

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Sens are far superior offensively, Stutzle, Giroux, Tkachuk, Tarasenko, Batherson, Norris. I agree they haven't learned to win yet as a team and I think coaching is part of that. 

Good, same as Sabres it seems.

Hope both teams never get it together and flounder along as have been. 

Has to be something fairly major to terminate his contract. 

Also, as for the Bedard's mother rumour, there's been a few cases of infidelity in the past that only resulted in a trade at worse.  If it's not infidelity, then there's nothing Chicago has to warrant removing him from the team that the NHLPA wouldn't have a field day with.

I would guess he probably said something off-limits, like a racial slur, to someone in the organization.  If it were gambling or criminal related something a little more concrete would of leaked by now.  Those really are the only things I can think of that has warranted terminating a contract.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would guess he probably said something off-limits, like a racial slur, to someone in the organization.  If it were gambling or criminal related something a little more concrete would of leaked by now.  Those really are the only things I can think of that has warranted terminating a contract.

Why even speculate?  It could be any of dozens of things.  At some point somebody reputable will get the story; until then..........

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Why even speculate?  It could be any of dozens of things.  At some point somebody reputable will get the story; until then..........

Because speculating about hockey related material is kind of what we do here.  We have entire threads dedicated to speculating things.  I'm not sure how Corey Perry being terminated is somehow exempt from that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, seems like Perry did something pretty egregiously wrong, in any case: Blackhawks say Corey Perry engaged in unacceptable conduct and move to terminate his contract (msn.com)

Yes, but we have no details. 

And Kyle Davidson said in his press conference that it is not related to other players or their families and the rumours going around on the internet are disgusting. 

I don't think we should keep repeating it and jeopardize Mrs. Bedard's marriage and reputation by spreading this. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Yes, is boring topic, he aint a Hab.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Has to be something fairly major to terminate his contract. 

Also, as for the Bedard's mother rumour, there's been a few cases of infidelity in the past that only resulted in a trade at worse.  If it's not infidelity, then there's nothing Chicago has to warrant removing him from the team that the NHLPA wouldn't have a field day with.

Yes, and in every case of rumoured infidelities' there have been 0 official reports of it.  ex: Mike Comrie & Salo's wife, Seguin & with Hortons wife, Coach Nolan (+Corson) & Mogilny's wife, possibly Chelios & Habs Pres in 86, etc.  The only exception to "rumours" is Shanahan and that is only because his wife is his ex-teammates ex-wife so its basically undeniable what went down.  None of those were reported by *reputable* sources because that is an incredibly obtuse requirement due to the legal repercussions previously mentioned. 

There is a commonality in all of those situations where it didn't make hockey sense for those teams to have dumped those players.  The same is true with Perry too.  i.e. it's not like he wasn't playing well and hurting the team that they would think to get rid of him.  The decision to move any of those players was not related to their on ice activity.

Furthermore, if Perry made some off the cuff anti-whatever comment the Hawks probably wouldn't terminate his contract.  They would send to him to get help before dumping him.  ex:  if he was gambling, drinking, etc that's the route that teams *must* legally take before they are allowed to ditch a player.  If they didn't do that 1st the NHLPA would get involved on the players behalf and the team would lose and be forced to keep the player. 

However, due to the previous Hawks scandal they might be overly strict regarding accountability and they are trying to improve their culture and how people view their franchise.  i.e. it could be something fairly minor but they are making a big deal of it so they don't look bad.  

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Yes, but we have no details. 

And Kyle Davidson said in his press conference that it is not related to other players or their families and the rumours going around on the internet are disgusting. 

I don't think we should keep repeating it and jeopardize Mrs. Bedard's marriage and reputation by spreading this. 

Agreed, he obviously did something wrong but no point in speculating as rumours can do a lot of damage. I am guessing the Blackhawk organization is a little more sensitive to this kind of stuff now, hopefully they have learned their lesson. If we find out the facts, fine, if we don't that's fine as well.

It's unfortunate if Perry showed bad judgement as he has had a long and pretty decorated career. This is likely not the way he intended it to end.