2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

5th, 2nd, 8th overall picks in 2019, 2020, 2021.

They also added extra picks and prospects in those years by trading away vets.

Some bad years had to happen for them to build one of the best prospect systems in the NHL.

Oh, yes indeed. But those are bad years - not dumping talent frenetically in a determined effort to finish last overall. The Habs have also had similar runs of bad years and high-ish picks since 1995, yet we are always accused of not properly "tanking."

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, yes indeed. But those are bad years - not dumping talent frenetically in a determined effort to finish last overall. The Habs have also had similar runs of bad years and high-ish picks since 1995, yet we are always accused of not properly "tanking."

Trading Toffoli, alec martinez, Muzzin, jack campbell (when he was their starter), hagelin, kuemper, and cammalleri for picks and prospects between 2017 and 2020 sure looks like tanking.

Thats 2 starting goalies, 2 top 3 defencemen, a couple top 6 wingers, a good third liner.  

And thats without nate thompson, torrey mitchell, kyle clifford, and other fourth liners they gave up for late picks.

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Trading Toffoli, alec martinez, Muzzin, jack campbell (when he was their starter), hagelin, kuemper, and cammalleri for picks and prospects between 2017 and 2020 sure looks like tanking.

Thats 2 starting goalies, 2 top 3 defencemen, a couple top 6 wingers, a good third liner.  

And thats without nate thompson, torrey mitchell, kyle clifford, and other fourth liners they gave up for late picks.

OK, OK. I guess they did tank but just weren't very good at it.

They are nonetheless now considered contenders, despite not having had a passel of top-5 picks and not being awarded a generational, franchise player. Which, after all, is what we're told tanking is for. 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

OK, OK. I guess they did tank but just weren't very good at it.

They are nonetheless now considered contenders, despite not having had a passel of top-5 picks and not being awarded a generational, franchise player. Which, after all, is what we're told tanking is for. 🤷‍♂️

NOBODY says tanking is guaranteed so let's not pretend that tanking badly is a model for how to "re-tool" either.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

NOBODY says tanking is guaranteed so let's not pretend that tanking badly is a model for how to "re-tool" either.

Haha, here I said I didn't want to revive the debate...obviously I lied!!

You can tank without building a winner, and you can build a winner without tanking. Glad we agree.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Haha, here I said I didn't want to revive the debate...obviously I lied!!

You can tank without building a winner, and you can build a winner without tanking. Glad we agree.

NOT what I posted ... but to complete your thought, you can also tank and build a winner and not tank and trade-water in mediocrity for years and years.

Just now, GHT120 said:

NOT what I posted ... but to complete your thought, you can also tank and build a winner and not tank and trade-water in mediocrity for years and years.

It's all a moot point anyway. The Habs have tanked (or been tank-equivalent) for two years, so the tanquistes should be happy. This year will surely be a high pick again too. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the coach of the Buffalo Sabres must be on thin ice.  They are getting smacked at home in a pretty important divisional matchup. 

Yup, Sabres just cant seem to build a solid team, no matter how many top 1st round picks they have had.

4-0 Detroit, not a fan of either team but go Wings, just bury em!

I tend to agree with those who suggest that DJ Smith is still there because Staios wants to allow the next permanent GM to make his choice as for coach ... so I wonder whether Martin had another job offer that pushed the Sens to move.  

They brought Alfie back in Sweden 

Now they are giving Jacques a senior advisory role 

it is a good thing for the Sens to reconnect with the past, those who made them successful. 
JM is from Easter Ontario, he has deep roots in the region. 

I never hated The Count as much as many around here...I thought he did a decent job as our coach. In fact, he was something of an innovator; the commitment to an insane bend-don't-break shot-blocking philosophy, and a heavy emphasis on special team, was something that he kind of pioneered, and it rapidly became imitated around the league for four or five years there. Anyway, good on him, returning to the city where he made his bones. Classy play by the Sens.  

43 minutes ago, DON said:

Bubble-wrap Monahan till trade deadline please!

Someone pointed this comparison out, FWIW; 

Monahan 8g 15pts $2.0m

Dubois     5g 11pts $8.5m;)

Would then be hard for him to improve his stats or prove he can stay healthy sans the bubble-wrap.
😉

I don't know if anyone has seen any Washington Capitals games (I haven't) but I assume Ovie must be slowing down as 5 goals in 25 games is by far the worst start of his career. I think most assumed he would break Gretzky's record but if he does it won't be before he turns 40. 

Likely means that Doug Armstrong won't make any trades (other than moving Vrada if he clears waivers).

9 minutes ago, DON said:

When is the X-mas cut off date for trades? Must be soon isn't it?

No player transactions can take place from Dec. 20-27. No games or practices will be held from Dec. 24-26.
NHL 2023-24 season key dates: When is draft, trade deadline? (usatoday.com)

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Posting this because I thought it was interesting. Can’t speak for validity, pic came from a statistics twitter account (screw you X). 

Boston is incredibly popular 

Calgary lol

IMG_0273.jpeg

Is boston incredibly popular cause of all those states? Or are they just popular in places where there isnt a lot of popularity for hockey?

Sure they are the most page views in louisiana, georgia, florida, hawaii, and south carolina and other non-hockey areas.  But the page views of hockey in quebec is probably 4x the size of those states combined.  Being the most viewed hockey page in hawaii isnt the same as being the most viewed page in a canadian province.  Without numbers of views this lacks context.

Also no doubt that New England is a hockey hotbed and i would bet the bruins get more views in that area than all the southern states they lead in combined as well.

And yes they are amongst the biggest american teams but just a map without numbers can be misleading.

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Is boston incredibly popular cause of all those states? Or are they just popular in places where there isnt a lot of popularity for hockey?

Sure they are the most page views in louisiana, georgia, florida, hawaii, and south carolina and other non-hockey areas.  But the page views of hockey in quebec is probably 4x the size of those states combined.  Being the most viewed hockey page in hawaii isnt the same as being the most viewed page in a canadian province.  Without numbers of views this lacks context.

Also no doubt that New England is a hockey hotbed and i would bet the bruins get more views in that area than all the southern states they lead in combined as well.

And yes they are amongst the biggest american teams but just a map without numbers can be misleading.

Yes 100%

Leafs are popular in Ontario and Nova Scotia only but I imagine they have a hell of a lot of clicks. 

Still I thought it was interesting. 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yes 100%

Leafs are popular in Ontario and Nova Scotia only but I imagine they have a hell of a lot of clicks. 

Still I thought it was interesting. 

They are the most popular team in those two places.  I'm sure there are plenty of places where they are 2nd, 3rd, top 5, as well.