2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am willing to bet it's much more than a cold. 

Patrice Bergeron played with a collapsed lung. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Patrice Bergeron played with a collapsed lung. 

The point is we have no idea what the extent of Mathews injury is. If it's a really bad groin as some have suggested then that is really difficult to play through. You could go out on the ice but you wouldn't be much help. I am not going to beat up Mathews until I know the facts. 

This is a team that has Ryan Reaves in the lineup. 

Matthews had 69 goals this year.  Even as a decoy, I'd rather have him in the lineup for PP only, or even just as a decoy than whatever the bottom of their roster is. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not defending having Reaves in the lineup. He is useless. I am just not making any judgement on Mathews without knowing his injury. Do we even know if he is in the lineup?

The athletic is saying highly doubtful.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

All this talk about a total house cleaning in Toronto is bad karma. It almost guarantees a Leaf victory tonight. I will wait for another Bruin victory before I say too much. 

Very prescient indeed!

I have seen discussions on twitter about the possibility of a Dubois buyout. 

As I understand it, if they buyout Dubois before June 26 the Kings will pay 1/3 of his contract but if they buy him out after June 26 it would cost 2/3. 

Is it possible the Kings buy him out?

Would Dubois sign a one year contract with the Habs with low $ - as a show me contract? 

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

As I understand it, if they buyout Dubois before June 26 the Kings will pay 1/3 of his contract but if they buy him out after June 26 it would cost 2/3. 

Is it possible the Kings buy him out?

Would Dubois sign a one year contract with the Habs with low $ - as a show me contract? 

I don't think it's possible they buy him out, way too early to give up on him. A buyout could really come back and haunt them. He is still young.

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think it's possible they buy him out, way too early to give up on him. A buyout could really come back and haunt them. He is still young.

For sure, Dubois is only turning 26. 

Imagine that cap hit for seven more years if Dubois craps out though. 

Small cap hit if they buy him out. For FOURTEEN years. 

IMG_0394.jpeg

Yes, Dubois is going on 26 and has scored 20+ goals 4 times in his career. I will say there is ZERO chance they buy him out. It's like selling at the bottom.  This year was likely the anomaly, he still scored 16 goals. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, Dubois is going on 26 and has scored 20+ goals 4 times in his career. I will say there is ZERO chance they buy him out. It's like selling at the bottom.  This year was likely the anomaly, he still scored 16 goals. 

If it weren't for the opportunity to invoke a 1/3 buyout, rather than the usual 2/3, I would absolutely agree ... another factor is whether Rob Blake retains his job, or retires/gets-fired (not predicting anything) ... Blake will not get the OK to buy out PLD, having just signed him ... but a new GM might.

If a 27-point Kotkaniemi is worth buying out at $4.85M, surely Dubois is worth considering for the same at 40 points and $8.5M.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If a 27-point Kotkaniemi is worth buying out at $4.85M, surely Dubois is worth considering for the same at 40 points and $8.5M.

For 14 years!!!  I don't think KK is getting bought out either. 

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

For 14 years!!!  I don't think KK is getting bought out either. 

The choice with KK is simple ... 12 yrs @ $835K ... OR ... 6 yrs @ $4.82M.

PLD is messier because of the structure of the contract ... basically, it becomes 7-yrs @ $1,130,952 on the back end to save $4.62-6.97M over each of the first 7 years ... it may be more practical to retain 50% (making him a $4.125M AAV) and trade him.

EDIT: Dubois' NMC doesn't kick in until the 2024/25 NHL "year" (i.e., July 1st).

17 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So the fun part with this is that the buyout date isn't set in stone.  It's the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Cup Final ends.  I think the last possible date for the Final to end is like the 24th or 25th.  If it's the 25th and it goes the distance, they wouldn't be able to get in a 1/3 buyout.

55 minutes ago, DON said:

You think it is possible LA will go that route already?

As I said above, a PLD buy is a messy decision because of the structure of the contract ... ***IF*** they want to get rid of him, they may prefer to retain salary and trade him.

It's a bit bumpy, but in the end it still averages out to a choice of 7 years @ $8.5M or 14 years @ about $2M. Assuming the buyout dates work out!

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's a bit bumpy, but in the end it still averages out to a choice of 7 years @ $8.5M or 14 years @ about $2M. Assuming the buyout dates work out!

Averaging is nice for budget purposes, but not salary cap purposes ... PLD's "1/3"  buyout would have a cap hit ranging from a low of $1,530,952 to a high of $3,820,952 over the remaining term of the contract, then flatlines at $1,130,952 for the "extra" 7 seasons.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Averaging is nice for budget purposes, but not salary cap purposes ... PLD's "1/3"  buyout would have a cap hit ranging from a low of $1,530,952 to a high of $3,820,952 over the remaining term of the contract, then flatlines at $1,130,952 for the "extra" 7 seasons.

Yes. But even in that worst year the cap savings is almost $5M, not insubstantial. Only LAK management know whether the bumps are acceptable to them, but I do expect that they are at least evaluating the buyout option.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

So the fun part with this is that the buyout date isn't set in stone.  It's the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Cup Final ends.  I think the last possible date for the Final to end is like the 24th or 25th.  If it's the 25th and it goes the distance, they wouldn't be able to get in a 1/3 buyout.

I didn’t know that there is a chance the buyout 1/3 option could be missed. 

It’s possible that a decision gets made for them. 

I wouldn’t doubt if the Kings are looking at a buyout but I doubt it happens.