2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Here's the replay of that:

no, this one:

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

no, this one:

Isn't that the same play as in dlbair's post?

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Isn't that the same play as in dlbair's post?

first time I saw his post it was an Utica game. Now it's the same :spamafote:

Laval are two points behind from the Rochester Americans and will play them next week. If they continue playing this well, they will cement their place in the standings.

Kaskisuo is not the only reason they are doing better, but he has been really strong since joining:

image.png

I really hope the Habs send as many players that may be eligible for the AHL playoffs down. It would be great for the development  of a winning culture.

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Another solid performance by Kaskisuo, though. An astute signing by Rocket, whoever it was (Habs' scouts?) that suggested him

It's important to remember he's really streaky.  He can be really on and then play terribly for weeks at a time, that was the big knock on him with the Marlies and why he never really got an NHL look.

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

first time I saw his post it was an Utica game. Now it's the same :spamafote:

It's some sort of a board glitch in that the first time a page loads, it pulls a tweet from earlier in the thread.  Then, when you reload, it shows properly.  It only happens when the tweet is posted on a new page.  I've yet to figure out a workaround for that.

58 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I really hope the Habs send as many players that may be eligible for the AHL playoffs down. It would be great for the development  of a winning culture.

It's an easier said than done thought.  You still have to have enough NHL bodies to ice a team and it's not like there are many players currently injured that will be coming back.  There's Newhook and Pearson, and that's it.  (And they'd probably like to move Pearson and Monahan, so there's no net gain from the injured list in terms of number of players.)

If Montreal wanted to send Barron down for the playoffs, they'd need to get another d-man which means burning a contract slot which we know from past discussions isn't ideal with who still has to sign.  I guess they could pull Beaudin up to be a designated scratch but I doubt they want to reward him for complaining about his ice time.  They'll be able to get Roy down if they want to but after that, it gets iffy as Stephens might have to stay as the 4C the rest of the way.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If Montreal wanted to send Barron down for the playoffs, they'd need to get another d-man which means burning a contract slot which we know from past discussions isn't ideal with who still has to sign.  I guess they could pull Beaudin up to be a designated scratch but I doubt they want to reward him for complaining about his ice time.  They'll be able to get Roy down if they want to but after that, it gets iffy as Stephens might have to stay as the 4C the rest of the way.

they can call up Norlinder and Beaudin, since they are not in the plan for the Habs rebuild, and send down Strubble and Barron just enough time to qualify them for the AHL playoffs.

Up front, Roy and RHP (he is still waiver eligible) or Roy and Stephens, once Pearson and Newhook are healthy.

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they can call up Norlinder and Beaudin, since they are not in the plan for the Habs rebuild, and send down Strubble and Barron just enough time to qualify them for the AHL playoffs.

Up front, Roy and RHP (he is still waiver eligible) or Roy and Stephens, once Pearson and Newhook are healthy.

Organizationally, do you want to reward players for mouthing off about ice time by giving them a huge raise through an NHL promotion?  That's not a good precedent to set and that's what Beaudin has done behind the scenes.  Norlinder could be a designated scratch though, sure.  Not sure they should be going out of their way to be playing one of those on a nightly basis though.  And what sort of message are you sending to Struble for demoting him when he's doing well?  I get the idea of trying to have a long playoff run in Laval but sending a deserving player down (and giving him the corresponding big pay cut) to call a no-good flunky up for the purpose of maybe winning some minor league playoff games isn't going to go over well with a lot of players.  Development-wise, maybe him staying up for the stretch and then playing at the Worlds might be better.

You mention sending two down when Pearson/Newhook come back but what about the other part of that - what happens when Monahan gets moved?  Or Pearson?  Or another forward?  Whoever you send down is probably coming back up.  Maybe they get a body back for Pearson but they don't have the healthy depth to avoid raiding Laval at some point.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Organizationally, do you want to reward players for mouthing off about ice time by giving them a huge raise through an NHL promotion?  That's not a good precedent to set and that's what Beaudin has done behind the scenes.  Norlinder could be a designated scratch though, sure.  Not sure they should be going out of their way to be playing one of those on a nightly basis though.  And what sort of message are you sending to Struble for demoting him when he's doing well?  I get the idea of trying to have a long playoff run in Laval but sending a deserving player down (and giving him the corresponding big pay cut) to call a no-good flunky up for the purpose of maybe winning some minor league playoff games isn't going to go over well with a lot of players.  Development-wise, maybe him staying up for the stretch and then playing at the Worlds might be better.

You mention sending two down when Pearson/Newhook come back but what about the other part of that - what happens when Monahan gets moved?  Or Pearson?  Or another forward?  Whoever you send down is probably coming back up.  Maybe they get a body back for Pearson but they don't have the healthy depth to avoid raiding Laval at some point.

this NHL season is meaningless. I don't know why you are so dismissive of the value of winning the Calder cup. It worked for TBL, didn;t it?

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

this NHL season is meaningless. I don't know why you are so dismissive of the value of winning the Calder cup. It worked for TBL, didn;t it?

Don't think anyone is dismissing the value of winning the Calder Cup, just pointing out that there are challenges in sending players down.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Because there's no guarantee Laval would be all that good in a playoff run even with those extra prospects.  This team isn't that good here.  They're winning against some bottom-feeders but even then, they haven't deserved a few of these recent victories.  They're a bubble team and adding a couple of players (since sending every waiver-exempt player down isn't at all realistic given roster rules) probably doesn't change that.

There's value in a Calder Cup but there's a ton of negative value in promoting someone who went and mouthed off about playing time and wanting to be moved.  If you reward someone for doing that, that's a terrible precedent to set.

That's the part I'm pushing back on, Nicolas Beaudin cannot, under any circumstance, be rewarded after what he did behind the scenes.  He cannot come up.  I don't care if he's the last defenceman down there, it can't happen.  If you want to move Norlinder up into the 7th role and send Barron down, sure, I guess.  Barron's not going to be happy and there might be a longer-term problem from it (there's a reason he wasn't sent down at the beginning of the season; they really wanted to avoid the issue from last year from when they did that) but that's defensible.  Sending Struble (or anyone) down for Beaudin?  I can't support that one.

While there's value in a playoff push down there, there's also value in 20 more games of NHL development time for a player that the team might be hoping will be a full-timer next year.  That does have to be considered.  And if they don't have enough bodies (and they won't after the trade deadline up front once they move a couple out), they will have to pull from Laval; there's no getting around that.  The best they can probably do is take an AHL body back to mitigate the effect of keeping someone like Harvey-Pinard up full-time.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Struble had played one bad game - he shouldn’t be sent down. We are developing players for the nhl, not the AHL. Guys that need time should be in the AHL, guys that don’t, shouldn’t be sent down so that they can win at a lower level than they should be.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

There’s a difference between having young players in the minors, developing and winning, as they develop, and sending guys that belong in a hit NHL down so that they can win in the minors. 

we are trying to develop NHL players, winning at a level lower than you should be expecting a not much of an accomplishment. It’s as bad as the friends I have honkept their kids back in school for a year, so that they will be bigger than the other kids in their class, and have have better chance of making sports teams🙄

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There's value in a Calder Cup but there's a ton of negative value in promoting someone who went and mouthed off about playing time and wanting to be moved.  If you reward someone for doing that, that's a terrible precedent to set.

TO add to this: apart from the glory of the promotion to the NHL, there is a very tangible monetary impact, too, on the order of $10K/game. More money for the players promoted, and a substantial penalty for those sent down. I agree that this is not the right thing as a reward.

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's important to remember he's really streaky.  He can be really on and then play terribly for weeks at a time, that was the big knock on him with the Marlies and why he never really got an NHL look.

Let's hope his current hot streak lasts long enough for the Rocket, then.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:58 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Barron and Stephens sent down:

57 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Barron and Stephens sent down:

OR

image.png

Kidding

dlbalr on Dobes

"...Eight of those games have seen him go above the .920 mark which is among the top netminders in the league.  Between him and Kaskisuo, the Rocket have had top-end performances from their goalies for basically the last seven weeks.  That’s what has them back in the thick of things after a disastrous start."

https://www.habsworld.net/2024/01/rocket-weekly-two-key-wins-over-belleville/

• Upvote 1

I am looking forward to tonight's game. I even got an AHL.tv subscription to watch more of their games :)

15 hours ago, DON said:

dlbalr on Dobes

"...Eight of those games have seen him go above the .920 mark which is among the top netminders in the league.  Between him and Kaskisuo, the Rocket have had top-end performances from their goalies for basically the last seven weeks.  That’s what has them back in the thick of things after a disastrous start."

https://www.habsworld.net/2024/01/rocket-weekly-two-key-wins-over-belleville/

@dlbalr is wise to be cautious and not get overly excited about Kaz; but he is the veteran backup Laval needed behind Dobes. He can steal the odd game and seems otherwise good enough to keep them close and give them a chance to win.

Cederqvist played well in his first game; and with Barron now in Laval the Rocket has improved. They are missing Roy but at least they got Stephens back, I am hopeful for the playoffs.