Game 1 - Montréal vs. Toronto ... 7 p.m. - 2023-10-11

GHT120

Yeah the Dach, Newhook, Slafkovsky line should be kept together for now. They we’re comparing Slafkovsky to Joe Thornton last night and if that does translate then Slafkovsky might be a perfect long term fit with Caufield, Suzuki. 

My issue is with Anderson not being a good fit on the first line. Suzuki and Caufield are our #1 line and shouldn’t be carrying anyone. Anderson spent considerable time on that line last year and he simply isn’t a fit. 

Try RHP there and perhaps Anderson could bring life to the Monahan line. 

Gallagher can play on the 4th or sit in the press box. 

16 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah the Dach, Newhook, Slafkovsky line should be kept together for now. They we’re comparing Slafkovsky to Joe Thornton last night and if that does translate then Slafkovsky might be a perfect long term fit with Caufield, Suzuki. 

My issue is with Anderson not being a good fit on the first line. Suzuki and Caufield are our #1 line and shouldn’t be carrying anyone. Anderson spent considerable time on that line last year and he simply isn’t a fit. 

Try RHP there and perhaps Anderson could bring life to the Monahan line. 

Gallagher can play on the 4th or sit in the press box. 

Anderson played about 50 minutes of 5v5 play with those two last year.  More or less, 4 full games.

He did spend some time with suzuki towards the end of the year but that was after caufield was hurt.

He did have some more two years ago (the ducharme/msl midseason switch year)

I dont think it works either and would like Monahan or RHP there, but lets at least give this a fair chance if its what MSL wants to try.  Cant line blend every game.  Give them 5-10 games

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Anderson played about 50 minutes of 5v5 play with those two last year.  More or less, 4 full games.

He did spend some time with suzuki towards the end of the year but that was after caufield was hurt.

I dont think it works either and would like Monahan or RHP there, but lets at least give this a fair chance if its what MSL wants to try.  Cant line blend every game.  Give them 5-10 games

We certainly can’t decide the fate of the season on one game!

First period last night was a sloppy mess because it was game one. 

Still, we will talk about it as if it were 🎉

On the surface you would think Anderson would be a good compliment with Suzuki/Caulfield because of his speed and robust play but I think that perfect fit needs better puck skills and also needs to think the game more like Suzuki/Caulfield. I would love Anderson to be the perfect fit but he is not. Dach was a better fit but we need Dach to anchor the 2nd line. Monahan is also likely a better fit. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Scored 6 times, 3 on the PP, shoudnt be too many complaints folks.

On this, I believe I notice a slightly crankier tone among the fanbase and commentators toward this loss than we would have seen last season. It's not that people are angry by any means, but there's a degree of frustration or dismay at the way they let that game slip away. It seems to me that expectations are shifting, ever so slightly, for this group; the fanbase is at the verrry early stages of getting tired of losing.

I think Les Boys will need to show significant progress in the W-L column this year in order to keep the positive vibes and optimism going. Not make the playoffs, but show tangibly improved results.

59 minutes ago, DON said:

Scored 6 times, 3 on the PP, shoudnt be too many complaints folks.

By my count, they scored four on 5-on-5, outscoring the Leafs 4-1 at that strength. Two Caufield goals on 5-on-4, of course only one of them counted. 😊

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On this, I believe I notice a slightly crankier tone among the fanbase and commentators toward this loss than we would have seen last season. It's not that people are angry by any means, but there's a degree of frustration or dismay at the way they let that game slip away. It seems to me that expectations are shifting, ever so slightly, for this group; the fanbase is at the verrry early stages of getting tired of losing.

I think Les Boys will need to show significant progress in the W-L column this year in order to keep the positive vibes and optimism going. Not make the playoffs, but show tangibly improved results.

I think up by 2 with 5 minutes to go is the reason for that. Even if the expectations are that of a lottery team, nobody likes to give up a lead that way.

I bet if they were down 4-1 going into the third, which would not have been an unrealistic expectation prior to the game, there would not be nearly as much belly aching.

I hope fans expectations are reasonable and Wins/Losses are still seen as 2ndary importance (or will be one pile of whining all year long, as this team likely wont do well in the standings).

And adding a 

1. Mack Celebrini, C, Boston University (NCAA): Incredibly skilled, Celebrini makes his linemates better and he plays the game the right way. He was still 16 when he won the USHL's player of the year award and that is simply amazing. Now he's going straight to college, though he might miss a game or two at the start while recovering from a shoulder injury.

2. Cole Eiserman, LW, U.S. NTDP (USHL): Simply put, we haven't seen a pure goal-scorer like this in a long time. What makes Eiserman particularly dangerous is that he can score from anywhere - he doesn't have an "office" per se. Committed to the University of Minnesota, Eiserman has a legit shot at becoming the NTDP's all-time goals leader this season.

seems needed.

I think another high draft pick still more important long term, as Habs still lack 1st line skill up front (or trade for an elite forward i suppose, a Nylander perhaps).

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Assuming glagdyke is Gallagher, if Hughes were able to move him it would win him GM of the Year on the spot ... Pearson would be easier, but not easy, to move.

I meant move Gallagher down the lineup - he looks like a 4th liner right now and Monohan is wasted with Pearson and Gallagher.

cant sit Gallagher YET. But Pearson looked useless - I thought Pearson and Savard were the worst players in the lineup.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why would you pull Slafkovsky out of the top 6 after having his best game as a Hab.

Can we leave these lines for more than 1 game before doing the Therrien blender?

Yeah. 2nd line in particular shouldn’t be touched.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy, I couldn't agree more. Three players that are key to the Habs's future - Slaf, Dach, and Newhook - had great games and showed exciting chemistry. LEAVE THEM ALONE.

CC and Suzuki should be able to "carry" a third linemate without needing support from one of those three.

That 2nd line looks like it could well become our first line if Dach becomes a better player than Suzuki. They look like they have great chemistry so I wouldn’t touch that line. If anything, Maybe at some point you move Caufield with Dach, but right now you leave Suzuki and Caufield together, and don’t touch the 2nd line.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

100% agree. I never liked Anderson with Caufield-Suzuki when they were together for a bit in the finals run year. But with St Louis saying that Anderson has changed his game, I’d give him a longer look, even though I’d also rather see RHP or Monohan with them.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think we will score a lot more, but will still bleed defensively.

5 hours ago, DON said:

I hope fans expectations are reasonable and Wins/Losses are still seen as 2ndary importance (or will be one pile of whining all year long, as this team likely wont do well in the standings).

And adding a 

1. Mack Celebrini, C, Boston University (NCAA): Incredibly skilled, Celebrini makes his linemates better and he plays the game the right way. He was still 16 when he won the USHL's player of the year award and that is simply amazing. Now he's going straight to college, though he might miss a game or two at the start while recovering from a shoulder injury.

2. Cole Eiserman, LW, U.S. NTDP (USHL): Simply put, we haven't seen a pure goal-scorer like this in a long time. What makes Eiserman particularly dangerous is that he can score from anywhere - he doesn't have an "office" per se. Committed to the University of Minnesota, Eiserman has a legit shot at becoming the NTDP's all-time goals leader this season.

seems needed.

I think another high draft pick still more important long term, as Habs still lack 1st line skill up front (or trade for an elite forward i suppose, a Nylander perhaps).

I’d rather see if we can oick up one of those two with a lottery win, than pay the $9m+ that Nylander wants.  We will be bottom 10 so there is always that hope.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just watched the opening for HNIC.  They did clips of the teams from the first game of the season.  They edited the Xhekaj/Reaves fight down to just when Reaves was punching Xhekaj.  

TVA/RDS all the way ... and I don't really like TVA but no Sportsnet makes even them worth it.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just watched the opening for HNIC.  They did clips of the teams from the first game of the season.  They edited the Xhekaj/Reaves fight down to just when Reaves was punching Xhekaj.  

Amazing that poor Reaves even got a punch in considering how Xhekaj jumped him…Poor Reaves has been complaining all week long about it. 

Sportsnet talks about him as if he is the key to a cup win.