Game #16: Flames at Canadiens, 7 PM on Tue 14 Oct

tomh009

Matheson should stop his cute lil blind backpasses behind his own net.

He seems to get stupider the closer he gets to his own net, but as long as his offense makes up for it, will take it.

Happy and thankful Guhle’s alright after receiving that skate up high to his face. 

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Matheson should stop his cute lil blind backpasses behind his own net.

He seems to get stupider the closer he gets to his own net, but as long as his offense makes up for it, will take it.

Matheson is exhibit A of an example of a dman that at times looks like a legit top pairing guy, but clearly isn’t one. He is an elite skater very skilled, but just makes too many bad decisions.

i don’t pay too much attention to giveaways for a puck moving skating dman - if you are going to carry thr puck, you are going to give away more than stay at home shot blocking, chase thr play dman.

the issue with Matheson is he just doesn’t seem to have a brain at times, and just is not consistent bough to be a true top pairing guy. He’s a lot like the streaky 20 goal scorer with a great shot and speed, but will never be a 30 or 40 goal guy.

Just now, DON said:

Monahan 8/10 on faceoffs.

7 shots for Caufield, awesome.

Guhle 3 shots

Poor Anderson just cant finish.

At least it’s probably the best Anderson has looked. He’s been in the right place and making the right

play. he’s just snake-bitten right now.

i feel more sorry for his linemates. His luck seems to rub off on everyone else.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Matheson is exhibit A of an example of a dman that at times looks like a legit top pairing guy, but clearly isn’t one. He is an elite skater very skilled, but just makes too many bad decisions.

i don’t pay too much attention to giveaways for a puck moving skating dman - if you are going to carry thr puck, you are going to give away more than stay at home shot blocking, chase thr play dman.

the issue with Matheson is he just doesn’t seem to have a brain at times, and just is not consistent bough to be a true top pairing guy. He’s a lot like the streaky 20 goal scorer with a great shot and speed, but will never be a 30 or 40 goal guy.

Exhibit A of the types of giveaways Matheson can’t be making. Exhibit B is a poor decision by Barron of on going behind the net. Hopefully we win the challenge.

10 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Sigh...the lack of shooters who can finish on any regular basis bites us again.

Occasionally the opposing goalie also has something to do with the lack of scoring.

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Occasionally the opposing goalie also has something to do with the lack of scoring.

There were some great saves made, but there were also too many high/wide shots on great chances that let Markstrom off the hook. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed...he makes big mistakes far too often.

another consistent effort by Slaf, that is positive

Guhle played well

Gallagher had another good game from start to finish

some are struggling (Caufield, Anderson, Matheson, etc) but the team effort is there and the scorign chances too.

I am happy on how the team is evolving, not panicking (yet)

Author noted everything i was gonna mention.

Habs Get Goalied by Markstrom and Flames – HabsWorld.net

Love Caufield firing the puck, seems a good sign to me, but some see the negative and I agree Dvorak isnt Suzuki. But, i dont see that as a big issue for a non-playoff team or Caufield not scoring and the guy does have 14pts in 15games.

Bottom Six Minutes: The struggles of Cole Caufield - Habs Eyes on the Prize

"Most concerningly, and despite Caufield’s individual statistics, his line was absolutely caved in during five-on-five play. He has no choice but to generate opportunities for himself right now, because that line doesn’t work well enough to facilitate opportunities for him. As a trio, they had eight shot attempts at five-on-five, and Caufield alone posted eight individually. He simply can’t stay on a line with Juraj Slafkovsky and Christian Dvorak any longer."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-anderson-searching-for-answers-to-scoring-woes-after-loss-to-flames/

Caufield can’t defend against top lines and he gets mauled on board battles

Dvorak is there to shelter him. He was a drag on Suzuki who is scoring more since the split.

Caufield is still getting lots of shots out, good opportunity for him to show he can adapt his game instead of being a one dimension super-skilled player 

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Caufield can’t defend against top lines and he gets mauled on board battles

Dvorak is there to shelter him. He was a drag on Suzuki who is scoring more since the split.

By pairing him with Dvorak, who is at best an average 3C offensively, CC is now effectively on the 3rd line ... flip CD and SM and any drop-off in defensive support should more than be made up for by increased offence.

Dvorak used to play top line in ARZ, didn’t he?

I agree that he is a 3C on most teams but he is basically a reliable ce yet with above average faceoff% and good board battle ratio. He can dig up the puck and be a bet presence 

14 & 91 are more perimeter players that do not rally complement CC’s style of play 

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree that he is a 3C on most teams but he is basically a reliable ce yet with above average faceoff% and good board battle ratio. He can dig up the puck and be a bet presence 

14 & 91 are more perimeter players that do not rally complement CC’s style of play 

Based on 5-on-5 TOI, Dvorak was a 2/3C in his time in Arizona ... I-M-O he is a 3C on any team that is not just coasting to the end of a season.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Dvorak simply isn’t a good enough centre to drive an offensive line. Kind of drives me nuts that Monahan isn’t there instead. 

For the love of God Marty please flip Monahan and Dvorak. 

I think you play Dvorak and Anderson together, but do not let either of them anywhere near young guys that are the future like Caufield, Newhook, and Slafkovsky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

By pairing him with Dvorak, who is at best an average 3C offensively, CC is now effectively on the 3rd line ... flip CD and SM and any drop-off in defensive support should more than be made up for by increased offence.

Agreed. Did you see how many times Caufield had to pull the puck up from behind him, or settle it down before shooting the last few games?  His shot is delayed becuase he can’t one-time it, and when he is shooting there has been zero traffic in front of the goalie.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He was a 2nd line centre in the laughing stock of the league. At best he is a 3rd liner - always was. That’s why I hated giving up a 1st and 2nd for a 3rd line centre!! Who does that??? M friggen Bergevin!!!  Comparatively that deal makes Hughes look like Sam Pollack in picking up Dach!