2024 NHL Entry Draft

Catton is impressive. If the season ended today (assuming the lottery doesn't change anything) the Habs would draft 6 so more than likely in the 5-7 range as I don't see them moving up or down much from where they are now. My preference is also Lindstrom but if he is gone (I think he goes top 4) then I think it will be a choice of Catton, Helenius, or maybe Eiserman or even Demidov. I am assuming they draft a forward but they could also surprise us. 

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Columbus wins, Buffalo wins and Arizona comes back and gets a loser point in Winnipeg. Almost a perfect night. 

ONE point out of 5th overall and 'Yotes have a game in hand ... sadly, I expect they will beat Arizona tomorrow night

EDIT: NOW it is tomorrow night, then it was Tuesday night

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

ONE point out of 5th overall and 'Yotes have a game in hand ... sadly, I expect they will beat Arizona tomorrow night

I also expect they beat Arizona, Habs have lost 5 in a row, Arizona 12 in a row.  Something has to give and I will be surprised if the Habs don't come up with a big effort. Game is on Tuesday night. 

Sitting 6th worst today;

Some nice options in top 10 up front and on d.

image.png

2024 NHL Draft consensus big board: Macklin Celebrini, defensemen lead midseason list - The Athletic

"It’s not inconceivable, either, that after Celebrini, defensemen could make up a significant portion of the top five. Pronman, in particular, has three defenders ranked in that range, and Wheeler has four in his top seven. The question is how to sort them."

2 hours ago, DON said:

Sitting 6th worst today;

Some nice options in top 10 up front and on d.

I'm glad that the top of the draft is heavy on D-men.  Hopefully the teams that finish below us are targeting them, leaving the best shooter available for us to snag.  Scoring is our greatest need at this point by a mile.

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I'm glad that the top of the draft is heavy on D-men.  Hopefully the teams that finish below us are targeting them, leaving the best shooter available for us to snag.  Scoring is our greatest need at this point by a mile.

Agreed, McCagg says it's the best defense crop he has ever seen. We most certainly need more scoring. All the teams below us took forwards last year. 

I think Hughes is more likely to trade a pick(s) for another Dach/Newhook type and not trade up.

But, maybe no one else has a similar young player they are looking to give up on?

I think Hughes has picked the bones of the 2019 draft class.

How bout the 2020 class now?

image.png

1 hour ago, DON said:

I think Hughes is more likely to trade a pick(s) for another Dach/Newhook type and not trade up.

But, maybe no one else has a similar young player they are looking to give up on?

I also think that is more likely. In order to trade up you need a partner willing to trade down and that doesn't happen often. The Habs are at the point where they need quality not quantity especially up front.  I would be willing to trade a couple 1st rounders (not their own, maybe Winnipeg's and the extra one next year) and a 2nd or maybe Harris to move up and get the guy you want. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Reichel was recently sent to the AHL by Chicago.

That's the one that stands out to me as he's in the exact spot Dach and Newhook were contractually.  RFA this summer but instead of four years of control left like most first-rounders coming off their ELCs, he has five.  He also might be acquirable for a later first-round pick which is where the Winnipeg one is bound to land.

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's the one that stands out to me as he's in the exact spot Dach and Newhook were contractually.  RFA this summer but instead of four years of control left like most first-rounders coming off their ELCs, he has five.  He also might be acquirable for a later first-round pick which is where the Winnipeg one is bound to land.

Reichel certainly has some talent, excellent passer, has really struggled this year but put up some good numbers in the AHL and 15 points in 23 games with the Hawks in his first stint with the big team. Still only 21. 

11 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

At some point, the Habs will need to aim bigger than Lukas Reichel, don't you think ?

Yep.  But is that point this summer?  That one I'm not so sure about.  And if it's the Winnipeg pick they trade and not their own, I don't think the Habs would be getting a proven piece back, it'd be another project type acquisition where there's still lots of development needed, just like Dach and Newhook.

18 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

At some point, the Habs will need to aim bigger than Lukas Reichel, don't you think ?

With a late 1st round pick, just a NHL-regular would be better than average.

Similar to Dach/Newhook, we dont expect them to become all-stars or even 1st line players (hope so but dont expect it).

Teams just arnt willing to give up on a young forward prospect doing great, unless getting a Guhle/Hutson-type + 1st pick, or some kind of painful return back. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Absolutely agree. I think it's time to bundle some picks and a young defense prospect to get a higher draft pick and get another stud forward. While Reichel is interesting, I am not sure he is the guy they need. 

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Teams just arnt willing to give up on a young forward prospect doing great, unless getting a Guhle/Hutson-type + 1st pick, or some kind of painful return back. 

I agree, it would be costly. But we do need help up front. I wonder how much market value Hutson has? 

35 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, it would be costly. But we do need help up front. I wonder how much market value Hutson has? 

I think Matheson has tremendous value on the market. His contract, cap hit, skating ability, offensive ability. 

Matheson could be the centrepiece in a trade for a quality forward. 

Savard has more value to the Habs than a second round pick does IMO. I suspect they want to keep him until next deadline when Reinbacker will take Savard’s spot. 

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Matheson has tremendous value on the market. His contract, cap hit, skating ability, offensive ability. 

Matheson could be the centrepiece in a trade for a quality forward. 

Savard has more value to the Habs than a second round pick does IMO. I suspect they want to keep him until next deadline when Reinbacker will take Savard’s spot. 

I agree with all your points. They do need some experience on defense and I am not sure Hughes is ready to trade a hometown boy like Matheson unless the return is really really good. He does have a lot of value. I wouldn't trade Savard for a 2nd round pick either, I suspect he stays until the deadline next year. 

I am pretty sure (if my foggy memory is correct) that Hughes did try to 'bundle' picks and trade up at both drafts and no takers.

Of course, his demands could of been too high & written in stone and he didnt 'try' too hard to move up?

But, he said he did try.

29 minutes ago, DON said:

I am pretty sure (if my foggy memory is correct) that Hughes did try to 'bundle' picks and trade up at both drafts and no takers.

Of course, his demands could of been too high & written in stone and he didnt 'try' too hard to move up?

But, he said he did try.

I think your foggy memory is correct. I do remember Hughes saying he tried to trade up. However it's a difficult thing to do as teams are usually unwilling to trade down in the 1st round. I can't think of any recent examples. 

I can think of one example where the Habs did move up in the draft.  In 2010 they moved up 5 spots from 27 to 22 to draft Jarred Tinordi. It cost them a 2nd round pick and they also got a 4th round pick back. It didn't turn out great for them but Tinordi is still around.