2024 NHL Entry Draft

can we just trade Matheson and tank once and for all. Top-5 pick (bottom-5 finish) would be really nice for the rebuild, even if they do not win the lottery

image.png

Dont think it will make a big difference for our final standings if we trade Matheson or not. If we get an offer that we cant refuse then trade him. If not then keep him. Maybe next year we are in battle for playoffs again and having him and Savard could be great for that.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

can we just trade Matheson and tank once and for all. Top-5 pick (bottom-5 finish) would be really nice for the rebuild, even if they do not win the lottery

Kids ranked around 4-5 arnt different enough than those at 6-9 to try hard to trade up, or to run out Pezzetta & Evans & White on the Habs 1st unit PP for the last 25 games. 

With Jets pick maybe bundle it with young d-man and use it to move up, if Hughes doesnt bundle it and deal away for a 2020 1st rounder like, like Chicago's 17th pick Lukas Reichel (suggested by others as a resonable Hughes target).

Lukas Reichel Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com 

Celebrini & Lindstrom are the 2 that 'seem' a lock to go in the 1st five picks and rest are a toss up.

Just not big on that 6'7" Tyler Myers-like russian d-man, or Eiserman who seems too Hoffman-like from reports.

Here are my dream scenario's for the upcoming entry draft. 

Dream Scenario #1

Habs win the lottery and take Macklin Celebrini. Then they package Winnipeg's 1st pick plus their additional 1st rounder from next year (add more if required) so they can draft in the 10-13 range and take Tij Iginla if he is still available. 

Dream Scenario #2

Habs  draft 5 or 6 and luck out because of all the good defensemen available so Cayden Lindstrom falls to them. Then they package Winnipeg's 1st pick plus their additional 1st rounder from next year (add more if required) so they can draft in the 10-13 range and take Tij Iginla if he is still available. 

It's nice to dream. 

NHL Mock Draft 2024: Macklin Celebrini goes to Blackhawks, Cole Eiserman to Senators in first projection (msn.com)

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I wouldnt trade a 2025 first rounder for a pick in the teens.  This team may not be good again and that pick could be higher than that.

I wouldn't trade the Habs 1st rounder in 2025, I would flip the other pick which could be high 20's or low teens depending on how Florida and Calgary do. If Calgary finishes bottom 10 next year (entirely possible) then the Habs will likely get Florida's pick which could be a very late 1st rounder. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The more I see of Iginla the more I like him. 

Not sure anyone have him ranked in top 6 or 7 do they; once look at all the quality d-man who will go high this year and some other impressive forwards like; Lindstrom, Celebrini, Dadinov, Catton, or Helenius?

But; then again, maybe Iginla is the 2024 version of a Brady Tkachuk/Quinn Hughes that Habs shouldnt overlook for a Kotkaniemi?:popcorn:

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure anyone have him ranked in top 6 or 7 do they; once look at all the quality d-man who will go high this year and some other impressive forwards like; Lindstrom, Celebrini, Dadinov, Catton, or Helenius?

But; then again, maybe Iginla is the 2024 version of a Brady Tkachuk/Quinn Hughes that Habs shouldnt overlook for a Kotkaniemi?:popcorn:

I don't think anyone has Iginla ranked 6 or 7 but he has been one of the fastest risers in the draft and is one of the youngest players.  I am not saying take him with our 1st pick but I would love to move up so we could take him with a 2nd 1st round pick. That is probably dreaming a bit. 

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I wouldn't trade the Habs 1st rounder in 2025, I would flip the other pick which could be high 20's or low teens depending on how Florida and Calgary do. If Calgary finishes bottom 10 next year (entirely possible) then the Habs will likely get Florida's pick which could be a very late 1st rounder. 

No real need to commit now ... *** IF *** HuGo trade a 2025 pick it could simply be the "lesser" of theirs and "the pick coming from the Calgary trade.

Here are my dream scenario's for the upcoming entry draft. 

Dream Scenario #1

Habs win the lottery and take Macklin Celebrini. Then they package Winnipeg's 1st pick plus their additional 1st rounder from next year (add more if required) so they can draft in the 10-13 range and take Tij Iginla if he is still available. 

Dream Scenario #2

Habs  draft 5 or 6 and luck out because of all the good defensemen available so Cayden Lindstrom falls to them. Then they package Winnipeg's 1st pick plus their additional 1st rounder from next year (add more if required) so they can draft in the 10-13 range and take Tij Iginla if he is still available. 

It's nice to dream. 

NHL Mock Draft 2024: Macklin Celebrini goes to Blackhawks, Cole Eiserman to Senators in first projection (msn.com)

You forgot Dream Scenario #1.5: the Habs win the "second" lottery and get to select from everyone left after the first selection.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No real need to commit now ... *** IF *** HuGo trade a 2025 pick it could simply be the "lesser" of theirs and "the pick coming from the Calgary trade.

That is certainly one way of doing it. 

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

You forgot Dream Scenario #1.5: the Habs win the "second" lottery and get to select from everyone left after the first selection.

That could happen. If it did I might still take Lindstrom but #2 would be interesting. There seems to be an obvious #1 but in the mock drafts the #2 pick is all over the place. 

Hopefully we get the forward we need. 

Or a top pairing offensive d-man would work. Given Reinbacher/Guhle unlikely to be scoring a bunch.

A Matheson replacement like; Dickenson or Parakh, if Dadinov & Catton are gone, would be fine by me.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Or a top pairing offensive d-man would work. Given Reinbacher/Guhle unlikely to be scoring a bunch.

A Matheson replacement like; Dickenson or Parakh, if Dadinov & Catton are gone, would be fine by me.

It's true that Reinbacher/Guhle might not provide a ton of offense although they are both very mobile and good at moving the puck. I expect Mailloux/Hutson to provide the offense on the back end although I am still not sold on Hutson's game translating to the NHL level, hope I am wrong. I am big fan of Dickinson but certainly prefer an elite forward from this draft. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

If we don’t get Celebrini, I think my two two choices regardless of where we draft are Dadinov and Parakh. Both look like players that can totally take over a game. That’s something we lacked outside of the goal position since Lafleur.

Incidentally, I will be in the lower bowl with my son wearing my Lafleur jersey at the Montreal-Calgary game on Saterday😁. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a Montreal game!

• Like 2

It's true that Reinbacher/Guhle might not provide a ton of offense although they are both very mobile and good at moving the puck. I expect Mailloux/Hutson to provide the offense on the back end although I am still not sold on Hutson's game translating to the NHL level, hope I am wrong. I am big fan of Dickinson but certainly prefer an elite forward from this draft. 

Habs been sitting in 6th or 7th worst for long time now, picks 2-10 look to be a tossup who will likely go where.

Just would prefer to see someone take Eiserman & Silayev in top 5 or 6. Any of rest of top prospects look like pretty darn good options to me, be it forward or D. 

image.png

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we don’t get Celebrini, I think my two two choices regardless of where we draft are Dadinov and Parakh. Both look like players that can totally take over a game. That’s something we lacked outside of the goal position since Lafleur.

Incidentally, I will be in the lower bowl with my son wearing my Lafleur jersey at the Montreal-Calgary game on Saterday😁. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a Montreal game!

I know we need losses but hope you get a win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Apart from Celebrini, I don't think anyone else in the draft is considered likely to turn into an elite player. First line, maybe, but not a top-10 (in that position) in the league. So, let's not expect a second coming of Lafleur ...

Top picks at #6-7-8 (irrelevant i know but)

Just seems a bit better chance of an elite d-man this year at pick 7 or 6, than a forward.

No matter what Habs current roster needs are.

image.png

48 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apart from Celebrini, I don't think anyone else in the draft is considered likely to turn into an elite player. First line, maybe, but not a top-10 (in that position) in the league. So, let's not expect a second coming of Lafleur ...

And given the disparity in rankings after Celebrini I expect a fair bit of "we should of taken" talk no matter who the Habs select ... I hope for a lot of "he wasn't my choice but it's an OK selection".

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And given the disparity in rankings after Celebrini I expect a fair bit of "we should of taken" talk no matter who the Habs select ... I hope for a lot of "he wasn't my choice but it's an OK selection".

Of course there will be some 2nd guessing, there always is. A lot of people 2nd guessed talking Slaf over Wright, taking Reinbacher over Leonard or Michkov. Only time will tell if they get it Wright, I mean right. Picking 18 year olds is far from a perfect science and we get caught up in the hype generated by the media. 

Now if the Habs win the lottery I expect minimal 2nd guessing.