2024 NHL Entry Draft

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And Calgary wins, a perfect night. A loss tomorrow night in regulation brings us very close to finishing 5th from the bottom. 

6 possible points left

image.png

14 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

As sacrilegious as rooting for Ottawa sounds that’s is exactly what we all should be doing tonight. 

It is sacrilegious but it's all about the greater good right now. Lose in regulation tonight, lose in regulation to Detroit on Monday, then they can win their final home game of the year. A perfect ending. Of course perfect endings rarely happen. 

• Like 1

For what is worth; EP folks now have Parekh at 5 where Habs sit today & Iginla edging Catton in ranking (before WHL playoffs started and Iginla piled up some more points (0pts 3 shots vs PG last night)). 

image.png

Barring lottery win for #1; seems that Demidov, or the 3 WHLers - Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton might be best forward options for Habs at 5?

2024 NHL Draft Top 96 Ranking - March 2024 | Elite Prospects (youtube.com)

28 minutes ago, DON said:

You would still prefer a Demidov/Lindstrom over Helenius though? 

Helenius is number 2 in my rankings.

Which have started to be posted by the way.

We have 6 up.

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We have 6 up.

It was interesting in Hughes's interview the other day with Seravalli when he said if a LD was the best player available when they drafted that he may trade up or down. That would eliminate Silayev and Dickinson (who I am a big fan of).  Not sure if Hughes was blowing smoke or just being honest. 

Have you ever seen a draft where the projections from 2 - 12 were so all over the place? 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It was interesting in Hughes's interview the other day with Seravalli when he said if a LD was the best player available when they drafted that he may trade up or down. That would eliminate Silayev and Dickinson (who I am a big fan of).  Not sure if Hughes was blowing smoke or just being honest. 

Have you ever seen a draft where the projections from 2 - 12 were so all over the place? 

Last time there was this disparity was probably the Yakupov draft where he was the consensus #1 but guys like Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Sergachev, Murray were all over the place.

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Last time there was this disparity was probably the Yakupov draft where he was the consensus #1 but guys like Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Sergachev, Murray were all over the place.

Sadly, a prime exhibit how even a consensus #1 pick can be totally wrong!

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Sadly, a prime exhibit how even a consensus #1 pick can be totally wrong!

Maybe good thing that Habs are unlikely to be picking 1st then.:nuts:

Find out where will pick on May 6th or 7th i guess.

A regulation loss would have been better BUT they are now 2 points ahead of Ottawa and the Sens have the tie breaker so another regulation loss by the Habs or another 2 points by the Sens guarantees they will finish ahead of Montreal. It would also be nice if Arizona could take a point from Calgary tomorrow night.  Arizona has beaten Vancouver and Edmonton back to back so maybe that is too much to expect. 

Plus that was a huge win by Detroit against Toronto tonight. It guarantees that their games against Montreal will be massive for them.  Hopefully they don't choke. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A regulation loss would have been better BUT they are now 2 points ahead of Ottawa and the Sens have the tie breaker so another regulation loss by the Habs or another 2 points by the Sens guarantees they will finish ahead of Montreal. It would also be nice if Arizona could take a point from Calgary tomorrow night.  Arizona has beaten Vancouver and Edmonton back to back so maybe that is too much to expect. 

Plus that was a huge win by Detroit against Toronto tonight. It guarantees that their games against Montreal will be massive for them.  Hopefully they don't choke. 

quitting the tanking habit is hard, I am using an AHL patch this season and almost has me out of the habit.

gotta sink it for cellebrini!

4 hours ago, DON said:

Arizona play Flames today, Sens vs Rangers tomorrow. 

image.png

Flames 3-7 in the last 10, Coyotes 6-4. So, maybe there is some hope there. 🙂

On 4/13/2024 at 3:08 PM, Commandant said:

We have 6 up.

What are you seeing in Helenius that puts him at 2?

Most draft lists have him outside the top 5

18 minutes ago, sim.on said:

What are you seeing in Helenius that puts him at 2?

Most draft lists have him outside the top 5

What he is doing in the mens league in Finland is special... and its at both ends of the ice.  Now hes also doing it in the exhibition games for the Mens world Championships. Our full report is up at Lwos though.

And i dont go by what other sites have.  I try to look at it independently, its why we had Quinn Hughes much higher than other sites and Mike McCarron as a third round pick.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What he is doing in the mens league in Finland is special... and its at both ends of the ice.  Now hes also doing it in the exhibition games for the Mens world Championships. Our full report is up at Lwos though.

And i dont go by what other sites have.  I try to look at it independently, its why we had Quinn Hughes much higher than other sites and Mike McCarron as a third round pick.

Aho sounds great, obviously everyone would love to have that kind of player on the team. I would hope that the #2 player in the draft will be producing a little more than 60-70 points but it's still good if the defense is there.

Do you see him as more of a center or winger in the NHL?

Should we expect him to be playing in the NHL for the start of the 25-26 season regardless of who takes him?

What are other people missing who have him around the 8 spot?

Keep in mind any comparison is a stylistic comparison, not a talent one.... so just cause someone is compared to Aho doesn't mean that the point totals is what we are comparing. 

He's a centre IMO.   

Yes, I see him in the NHL in 25-26, but I wouldn't say regardless of who takes him.  Every team has different philosophies on what they do for development, but I'd think barring injury and lost development time in 2024-25, he'd be in the NHL by then.  Some teams might even put him in the NHL 2024-25. 

What are people missing? I think he has almost no weaknesses.  He does everything you need a player to do at an above average level, while still being elite in a few areas 

• Like 2