2024 NHL Entry Draft

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What are people missing? I think he has almost no weaknesses.  He does everything you need a player to do at an above average level, while still being elite in a few areas 

AND ... doing it as a 17 yr-old.

Here is a question. Maybe Commandant or anybody can give an opinion on this. Let's say the Habs draft 6th and really want Demidov. Would offering the 6th pick, 2 second rounders (1 from this year and 1 from next year) and say Jordan Harris be enough to get them to move up 2 or 3 spots to grab a forward they want?  I am thinking this year there is that kind of deal to be done as the talent seems to be so close after Celebrini for the next several spots. 

It's time to give up some quantity for quality. They have lots of picks to throw around but they need at least one more elite forward up front.  Perhaps the way Hutson has played the couple games has solidified Hughes thinking about drafting a forward. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's time to give up some quantity for quality.

The trouble is that not many don't want to give up quality if all they get is quantity.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The trouble is that not many don't want to give up quality if all they get is quantity.

That is true, I was just thinking that this year some teams might not perceive a big difference between drafting 3rd and 6th if the sweetener was good enough. 

Saw this on another board. Commandant is not the only fan of Helenius. 

What do you think of Helenius high end upside? Does he have what it takes to be a 1C rather than 2C?

He has everything to become a really solid top 6, I see him as a 70-80 pts player who brings more than scoring alone, kid has an insane motor, fantastic hockey IQ and competes level, fantastic skater too. He is a gamer all over the ice and always gives the extra effort on every play. He can play both center or wing. I like him better than Cooley.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is true, I was just thinking that this year some teams might not perceive a big difference between drafting 3rd and 6th if the sweetener was good enough. 

I’m think it depends on who teams drafting 2 to 4 want. If seen ratings that have Helenius and Parekh in the 4 to 5 position, and as low as 15-16. Similarly,  Eiserman and Iginla have been as high as 6-7 and as low as 16-17. If a team picking 2-3, and are really set on Iginla, maybe they trade down. But teams picking in the 2-3 slot that want a guy like Demidov that most ratings have in the 2-3 slot, aren’t going to trade down.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Saw this on another board. Commandant is not the only fan of Helenius. 

What do you think of Helenius high end upside? Does he have what it takes to be a 1C rather than 2C?

From what have heard, seems Dadinov/Lindstrom also have intriguing descriptions and Lindstrom just seems like a Hughes pick, if picking 2nd.

Projection and Comparison
"The talent of Demidov is impossible to deny. His raw skills might be the best in terms of offense in the entire draft. His puckhandling, shot, passing, and even skating makes him a unique hockey player and prospect. There are many great offensive players, but not many quite like Demidov. ... he could easily be a point per game player in the NHL on most teams first line."

Ivan Demidov Scouting Report: 2024 NHL Draft (lastwordonsports.com)

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m think it depends on who teams drafting 2 to 4 want.

Absolutely, if teams in that range want a high end defensemen, then drafting 2,3 or 6 likely won't make a big difference to them. You will get a high end defensemen at 6 and might be willing to trade down with the right sweetener. 

10 minutes ago, DON said:

From what have heard, seems Dadinov/Lindstrom also have intriguing descriptions and Lindstrom just seems like a Hughes pick, if picking 2nd.

Projection and Comparison
"The talent of Demidov is impossible to deny. His raw skills might be the best in terms of offense in the entire draft. His puckhandling, shot, passing, and even skating makes him a unique hockey player and prospect. There are many great offensive players, but not many quite like Demidov. ... he could easily be a point per game player in the NHL on most teams first line."

Ivan Demidov Scouting Report: 2024 NHL Draft (lastwordonsports.com)

It seems like more and more reports I have seen have Demidov at 2. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It seems like more and more reports I have seen have Demidov at 2. 

Oh well, now can Arizona beat the Oilers today?

I suspect it might be "easier" to use the Jets' pick and other assets to move up into the "teens", maybe even 8-9-10th depending on the assets with which they are willing to part, than moving up from their own first round pick.

NOTE:  Not "easy", but "easier"

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

I suspect it might be "easier" to use the Jets' pick and other assets to move up into the "teens", maybe even 8-9-10th depending on the assets with which they are willing to part, than moving up from their own first round pick.

NOTE:  Not "easy", but "easier"

You dont think Hughes wants a young NHLer; like Newhook-Dach and not another prospect?

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Oh well, now can Arizona beat the Oilers today?

Maybe the Oilers sit a few players and let Arizona ride out of the desert with a win. The Yotes won last week in OT vs the Oilers, but with no McDavid in the lineup.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

You dont think Hughes wants a young NHLer; like Newhook-Dach and not another prospect?

I just said it would be easier to move up with Winnipeg's pick than their own ... predicted nothing.

As Hughes said in the presser, all options are on the table ... with all the prospects the Habs already have, and their extra picks in the next couple of drafts, there is nothing to say they couldn't do both ... other teams may also want young NHLers or closer-to-the-NHL players rather than prospects.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I just said it would be easier to move up with Winnipeg's pick than their own ... predicted nothing.

As Hughes said in the presser, all options are on the table ... with all the prospects the Habs already have, and their extra picks in the next couple of drafts, there is nothing to say they couldn't do both ... other teams may also want young NHLers or closer-to-the-NHL players rather than prospects.

Moving up is certainly a possibility. If they used the Winnipeg pick to move up then I see San Jose as a potential trading partner since they also have Pittsburgh's pick as well as their own. The Penguins pick will likely be in the 12-15 range. 

25 minutes ago, DON said:

If we could move up to around 8 with sweeteners with the jets pick, AND win the lottery, it would be something to get Celebrini and Iginla.

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Moving up is certainly a possibility. If they used the Winnipeg pick to move up then I see San Jose as a potential trading partner since they also have Pittsburgh's pick as well as their own. The Penguins pick will likely be in the 12-15 range. 

I feel sorry for Dubas ... he is between a rock and a hard place ... an aging roster of stars ... just out of the wild card ... ownership seemingly not open to a rebuild ... not a lot of roster flexibility in so much as they have 6 players with NMCs and 4 with M-NTCs ... Pens do have $12.7M in cap space (14 players signed). 

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we could move up to around 8 with sweeteners with the jets pick, AND win the lottery, it would be something to get Celebrini and Iginla.

Oh man, that would be incredible. I wouldn't be able to sleep for a couple nights if that happened. What an incredible and fun team that would be. 

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I feel sorry for Dubas ... he is between a rock and a hard place ... an aging roster of stars ... just out of the wild card ... ownership seemingly not open to a rebuild ... not a lot of roster flexibility in so much as they have 6 players with NMCs and 4 with M-NTCs ... Pens do have $12.7M in cap space (14 players signed). 

This was the absolute worst case scenario for Dubas, just missing the missing the playoffs and giving up a pick in the low teens. At least if they finished bottom 10 they would have kept their pick and got a good piece for the rebuild. 

I don't feel sorry for Dubas, he took the job and knew what he was getting into. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This was the absolute worst case scenario for Dubas, just missing the missing the playoffs and giving up a pick in the low teens. At least if they finished bottom 10 they would have kept their pick and got a good piece for the rebuild. 

I don't feel sorry for Dubas, he took the job and knew what he was getting into. 

"Sorry" may have been the wrong word ... he did do it to himself ... but I do recognize he is in a very tough situation.

I expect he looks forward to hiring a GM and getting a bit more job security as just President of Hockey Operations ... otherwise, he may be looking for a new job sooner than he expected.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

"Sorry" may have been the wrong word ... he did do it to himself ... but I do recognize he is in a very tough situation.

Agree 100% he is in a tough spot. The Penguins need to realize (probably the ownership needs to realize) that a rebuild needs to be done. This team is just not good enough, the stars are aging and should be traded while the market value is still relatively high. They will be another year older next year. Is the organization/ownership willing to accept some short term pain? 

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect he looks forward to hiring a GM and getting a bit more job security as just President of Hockey Operations ... otherwise, he may be looking for a new job sooner than he expected.

He has six years left on his contract.  I think he has all the job security he could dream of.  

56 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He has six years left on his contract.  I think he has all the job security he could dream of.  

Rich owners "eat" contracts if GMs over-promise and under-deliver ... Presidents usually get to have 2/3 GMs before their heads are on the chopping block ... as long as he remains GM, Dubas is at higher risk than other Presidents of getting a nice severance package but having no job to go to every day.