2024 NHL Entry Draft

The only moving up from 5th that I thought might be possible was if the Yotes finished before the Habs.  They did not plus they are no longer the Yotes anyway.  I doubt any of the teams ahead of them are willing to trade spots and even if they would it probably wouldnt matter anyway.  ex:  if they're taking a dman and would let Hughes pick before them the F would still be available.   

No clue why so many want to flip the Jets pick to move up and get a dman when there is a dman available at the Jets pick.  ex:  Cole Hutson.   However, that depends on what happens with the lottery.  If the Habs move up Cole might still available at their 2nd rnd position.  If they dont move up or move back Cole wont be available with their 2nd rnd pick.  

On 5/1/2024 at 4:16 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it was a good article but I don't get the size issues for the guys listed. Eiserman is listed at 6' 195 lbs, same size as Bobby Orr (who had to play defense) and Eiserman is only 17?  Helenius is listed at 5' 11" 180lbs, Demidov at 5"11, 168 lbs. I don't think of these guys as being small, especially for 17-18 year olds. 

They are saying most of those prospects are small because average size is 6' 200lbs so players under that size are being called small.  ex:  Helanius is 5'11" 180lbs, so will he gain 20lbs to be 200lbs?  I think he'll be 195lbs max -so he'll be close to average.  However, Catton is only 163 lbs so he might not even reach 180lbs.   

Catton would be a good fit if Newhook was 6'2"+ 210+ lbs.   If the Habs take Catton the rest of their picks should be players that are 6'3"+ 200+ lbs.

I just think there is too much emphasis on size. Crosby was 5'11" 190 lbs when drafted, Gretzky maxed out at 185 lbs (I doubt he weighed that much), good think they aren't being drafted today or they might slip to the 2nd round. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, there can be exceptions to size but they're usually incredibly good or elite players.  ex:  Patrick Kane is small too, Marchessault is small and isnt elite but he works out because he's on a big team.  Are you sure Crosby was 190 when drafted? It says he's 200 lbs now so he is avg size but see he's only gained 10 lbs which is a super low amount.   Imagine if Catton maxed out at 173lbs - realize that he's not at the level of being Kane, Crosby, or Celebrini, good.  Although I prefer larger players I don't have any issues with small players but they have to be great and/or strong for their size.  Being small and weak simply doesn't work.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Gretzky maxed out at 185 lbs (I doubt he weighed that much)

Gretzky maxed out at 370 lbs ... he had McSorley glued to his hip.

U18 leaders.

Hagens with 3a (22pts is USA tournament record), Hutson 1g1a so far today.

Eiserman gets 2 goals so far today for 126 and ties Cole Caufield for USA record.

(maybe who cares if he cant or dosent care to defend a lick... maybe?)

image.png

Pronman on Catton;

Revisiting the 2019 NHL Draft: Cole Caufield, Kaapo Kakko and lessons learned - The Athletic

"Even though the player style is very different, the one guy whom I can best analogize Caufield to in this year’s draft is Berkly Catton. Catton measures in at 5-foot-10, but everything else about his game is excellent. He’s a high-end skater. He is extremely skilled. He competes well. He put up huge numbers in his draft season. He had very good numbers as a 16-year-old. He led his Hlinka Gretzky in goals and points. He was one of the best players at his U17 challenge. Like Caufield, I don’t think it’s worth overthinking Catton; just pick the supremely talented player who has dominated his age group for years and, yes, is a bit small.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Pronman on Catton;

Revisiting the 2019 NHL Draft: Cole Caufield, Kaapo Kakko and lessons learned - The Athletic

"Even though the player style is very different, the one guy whom I can best analogize Caufield to in this year’s draft is Berkly Catton. Catton measures in at 5-foot-10, but everything else about his game is excellent. He’s a high-end skater. He is extremely skilled. He competes well. He put up huge numbers in his draft season. He had very good numbers as a 16-year-old. He led his Hlinka Gretzky in goals and points. He was one of the best players at his U17 challenge. Like Caufield, I don’t think it’s worth overthinking Catton; just pick the supremely talented player who has dominated his age group for years and, yes, is a bit small.

I think Catton is really impressive, so he is only 5 foot 10 (listed at 5 ' 11" but 10 is probably closer). He has the skill, drive and hockey IQ to more than make up for it. He is driven. 

A guy that caught my attention today watching the U18 game was Ryder Ritchie. An excellent skater, one of the younger guys in the draft, projected to go in the 20's in a lot of mock drafts. I really liked what I saw, maybe with the Winnipeg pick. He was hurt early in the year so that probably dropped his ranking a bit. 

Richie roofs a sweet goal short-side to tie USA 1-1 in 2nd period.

(Cole Hutson caught up ice, left a 2 on 1)

But USA seems a deeper and stronger team so far.

Cole Hutson sets up Eiserman on PP for goal #127, passing Caufield. USA up 2-1

Outshooting Canada 20-8

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Richie roofs a sweet goal short-side to tie USA 1-1 in 2nd period.

(Cole Hutson caught up ice, left a 2 on 1)

But USA seems a deeper and stronger team so far.

Cole Hutson sets up Eiserman on PP for goal #127, passing Caufield. USA up 2-1

Outshooting Canada 20-8

I think the US is deeper, if Catton and Lindstrom were healthy and available it might be a little different. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the US is deeper, if Catton and Lindstrom were healthy and available it might be a little different. 

Not just them but other players still in CHL playoffs too.  I like the Hlinka better for that reason. 

Iginla with a goal and 2 assists, nice snipe for what turned out to be the winner.  Horrible, undisciplined 5 minute penalty cost the Americans. 

I like Ritchie with the Winnipeg pick if they don't trade the pick. 

That Gavin Mckenna is a pretty decent player. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Iginla with a goal and 2 assists, nice snipe for what turned out to be the winner.  Horrible, undisciplined 5 minute penalty cost the Americans. 

I like Ritchie with the Winnipeg pick if they don't trade the pick. 

I liked Hutson but he isn’t as dynamic as his brother. 

I was disappointed that we didn’t get to see Catton 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Do teams start targeting 2026 first rounders in trades?

I was hoping for a Vegas win as that would move the Winnipeg pick to 26 (only reason I would ever cheer for Vegas).  Hopefully the Avs can take out Dallas which would accomplish the same thing. The Avs are well rested but Dallas will be tough, not sure who the favourite is in this series. 

Interesting discussion about Sennecke starting about the 38 minute mark. Looks incredible in some of the clips. McCagg would take him over Iginla now. 

There is a goal at the 41:20 mark that is phenomenal

McCagg: Wouldn't Shock Me If Sennecke Went Top 3 - Prospect Talk #50 (youtube.com)

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

not sure who the favourite is in this series. 

My guess, the Aves.

Will be some wildass mockdraft guesses which players GMs draft in the top ten this year, with so many quality d-men in the mix (a year late for Habs though).

Wheeler attended the U-18s and new ranking.

2024 NHL Draft top 32 prospects: Macklin Celebrini leads Scott Wheeler’s post-U18 worlds ranking - The Athletic

"Five of the top-10 prospects on my list are D, and I’m higher on each of them than I was on the two defensemen taken in the top 10 in 2023 (David Reinbacher No. 5 to Montreal and Dmitri Simashev No. 6 to Arizona)."

A sea of d-men around 5.

image.png

In the tourney Iginla finished 5th in scoring and Ritchie 11th. An interesting stat is that Eiserman (on a team that scored 33 more goals than it gave up) finished with a plus minus of 0. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

In the tourney Iginla finished 5th in scoring and Ritchie 11th. An interesting stat is that Eiserman (on a team that scored 33 more goals than it gave up) finished with a plus minus of 0. 

Safe to say Eiserman will always have more goals than assists and worry is that when aint scoring, he wont bring much to table (Hoffman i keep thinking)

image.png

Posted (edited)

my potato head wish is either Lindstrom, Catton or Dickinson (I know he is an LD)

is there a poll or a prediction thread?

Edited by alfredoh2009