Game 67 Habs at Calgary 7pm Sat March 16

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have to admit that I’m a bit excited to finally see what this kid has got. 

Can he play two good games in a row? How about 7 or 8 good games in a row? 

Let’s find out 

If he can it will be a good indicator ... but at this stage of the season, not proof.

Flames TV asked <Jakob Pelletier> if the CH was his favorite team during childhood.

“No, because I think they kicked out the Nordics. Most people in Quebec (City) hate the Habs. It’s going to be special for me to play against them” replied the native of the "Capitale-Nationale- (Translated from TVA Sports)

His name is often mentioned in Calgary-Montreal trade rumours ... have to guess he wouldn't be pleased if that happened.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Flames TV asked <Jakob Pelletier> if the CH was his favorite team during childhood.

“No, because I think they kicked out the Nordics. Most people in Quebec (City) hate the Habs. It’s going to be special for me to play against them” replied the native of the "Capitale-Nationale- (Translated from TVA Sports)

His name is often mentioned in Calgary-Montreal trade rumours ... have to guess he wouldn't be pleased if that happened.

Granted, I was pretty young when the Nordiques moved (though at least alive at that time unlike Pelletier) but I don't think too many logical-thinking people could think the Habs unilaterally had the ability to make a team move.  That's pretty naive on his end.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Granted, I was pretty young when the Nordiques moved (though at least alive at that time unlike Pelletier) but I don't think too many logical-thinking people could think the Habs unilaterally had the ability to make a team move.  That's pretty naive on his end.

Maybe he was referring to the Nordiques being kicked out of the playoffs in the Good Friday Massacre? :)

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Agreed ... but given the bat-shyte  crazy stuff people seem to believe these days I wouldn't doubt that in the decade between the Nordiques moving and Jakob being old enough to pay attention that many conspiracy theories evolved ... and, from the Habs perspective, ***if*** he believes what he said to be true, that would be a reason I would hesitate to trade for him

Assistant coach Trevor Letowski will assume head coaching duties during his absence.

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The Habs PP was pretty terrible but the period overall was good. The Suzuki line is a legit #1 NHL line and I think Newhook did some good stuff too

It certainly was a pretty good period.  Both teams are in similar situations so the play has been a bit sloppy but that has led to some good back and forth chances for both sides.

Habs played better than the score suggests. Suzuki line was dominant again. 

Habs had poor team defence at times in their own zone but Calgary was sloppy too. 

I think @hab29RETIRED is at this game. Sorry bud that the Habs lost while you were there. The last time I saw the Habs live they lost 4-0 to the Capitals. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I agree with what you said but even though I disagree with him I do believe there is potentially some truth in his statement.  After all, the Nords never won the Cup and that is primarily because the Habs always beat them in the playoffs.  I tend to think that if the Nords had won a Cup they probably wouldn't have lost their team.  In that sense I could see why Nords fan blame the Habs.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Habs played better than the score suggests.

It was the reverse of the Columbus game, where the score flattered the Habs. This time Primeau could not match Wolf's performance.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Habs played better than the score suggests. Suzuki line was dominant again. 

Habs had poor team defence at times in their own zone but Calgary was sloppy too. 

I think @hab29RETIRED is at this game. Sorry bud that the Habs lost while you were there. The last time I saw the Habs live they lost 4-0 to the Capitals. 

It was a painful night. First ever game live for my son. Stupid flames had an 80’s theme night where they had old players and kept showing highlights during the intermission of their one and only 89’ cup win.

anyways, it was close until the second period, than the flames pulled ahead, habs battled back and than idiotic refereeing put it way.

some thoughts at seeing most of the young players live for the first time and being able to just follow them:

-top line is going to be something special, but they have to stop trying to setup the perfect pass all the time and shoot more.

-Slafkovsky is a big dude and I’m hoping he can be a Leclair type force - but I think he can also become a much more skilled player that generates more offence on his own than Leclair did.

-Caufield’s shot is still off. I know he scored of a deaflybshot tonight. But his One timer isn’t there. Too many times tonight, he just didn’t have enough zip on his shot. Hopefully he is fully recovered by next training camp.

-Harris just isn’t physical enough and doesn’t bring the offence you’d want from a non-physical dman. May be a bad night, but was really disappointed in him and how easily he was pushed around.

-Suzuki can really slow down the game. There were times the Habs were running around like chickens with their heads off, and Suzuki got the puck ragged it around until everyone settled down. He will score 80+ points next year.

-as with the top line, this team needs to shoot more - way too many cute passes and too many cross ice pass attempts - particularly too Caufield. Can’t keep doing that when you have to make those passes through traffic.

-Evans effort level surprised me. He is an also a very good stick handler. He’s also being wasted between the two Bergevin two worst remaining long term deals. Anderson and Gallagher are useless. Garbage play by both. Anderson hit a post, but otherwise was useless. Can we just buy them out this year??? I know it’s going to cost a lot, but may as well get them out of the lineup and reduce their cap hit two years from now, when we hope to be competitive. 
-Roy is a smart player. Hoped to se more offensively. But you could see the high hockey IQ Jennie was on the ice - with and  without the puck.

-we need someone from the young D to step up. Wasn’t really impressed by anyone tonight. Was hoping to see more and better from Guhle, wifi and Struble, and like I said earlier, was surprised how disappointed I was in Harris.. And the young D also need to start shooting more. Savard was shooting, but the young guys during the first half were just not getting the puck on the net hen there was traffic in front. I wish this game was a few w escalate and maybe I could have seen Hutson live.

-Premieau flops around and is out of position. A LOT!! He.needs to work on his positioning and not take himself out of the play as much. 

anyways, this was really the only game I wanted them to win for the rest of the years hopefully they lose the rest, but the young guys get a ton of points.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It was a painful night. First ever game live for my son. Stupid flames had an 80’s theme night where they had old players and kept showing highlights during the intermission of their one and only 89’ cup win.

anyways, it was close until the second period, than the flames pulled ahead, habs battled back and than idiotic refereeing put it way.

some thoughts at seeing most of the young players live for the first time and being able to just follow them:

-top line is going to be something special, but they have to stop trying to setup the perfect pass all the time and shoot more.

-Slafkovsky is a big dude and I’m hoping he can be a Leclair type force - but I think he can also become a much more skilled player that generates more offence on his own than Leclair did.

-Caufield’s shot is still off. I know he scored of a deaflybshot tonight. But his One timer isn’t there. Too many times tonight, he just didn’t have enough zip on his shot. Hopefully he is fully recovered by next training camp.

-Harris just isn’t physical enough and doesn’t bring the offence you’d want from a non-physical dman. May be a bad night, but was really disappointed in him and how easily he was pushed around.

-Suzuki can really slow down the game. There were times the Habs were running around like chickens with their heads off, and Suzuki got the puck ragged it around until everyone settled down. He will score 80+ points next year.

-as with the top line, this team needs to shoot more - way too many cute passes and too many cross ice pass attempts - particularly too Caufield. Can’t keep doing that when you have to make those passes through traffic.

-Evans effort level surprised me. He is an also a very good stick handler. He’s also being wasted between the two Bergevin two worst remaining long term deals. Anderson and Gallagher are useless. Garbage play by both. Anderson hit a post, but otherwise was useless. Can we just buy them out this year??? I know it’s going to cost a lot, but may as well get them out of the lineup and reduce their cap hit two years from now, when we hope to be competitive. 
-Roy is a smart player. Hoped to se more offensively. But you could see the high hockey IQ Jennie was on the ice - with and  without the puck.

-we need someone from the young D to step up. Wasn’t really impressed by anyone tonight. Was hoping to see more and better from Guhle, wifi and Struble, and like I said earlier, was surprised how disappointed I was in Harris.. And the young D also need to start shooting more. Savard was shooting, but the young guys during the first half were just not getting the puck on the net hen there was traffic in front. I wish this game was a few w escalate and maybe I could have seen Hutson live.

-Premieau flops around and is out of position. A LOT!! He.needs to work on his positioning and not take himself out of the play as much. 

anyways, this was really the only game I wanted them to win for the rest of the years hopefully they lose the rest, but the young guys get a ton of points.

Agree with everything but I think it is too costly to buy out Gallagher and Anderson. 

There is a possibility that Anderson rebounds into his normal 20-25 goals with truculence on the side. 

Still, I’m sure your son and yourself had a good time. 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I see this from him damn near every game he plays.  The way he chased the puck carrier into the corner, and then halfway to the blueline along the boards to take himself out of position on the Backlund goal was frustrating.  I'm hoping that our abundance of D prospects pushes him out of the picture sooner than later.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Thanks for the detailed update. You always get a different and better perspective when you can see the game live and watch plays develop as well as see stuff away from the play. It seemed like a game where the effort was there but the execution was not. I agree about Harris, smart player, mobile but I think other teams know that playing the body on him is very effective, I see him as the odd man out. As frustrating as it is to watch Gallagher and Anderson sometimes, it's too early to buy them out, too much dead cap space.