2023/2024 season playoff discussion

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It wouldn't shock me if the Leafs come back and win this series. I just don't think the Bruins are that good. They are good but far from a great team. I think they squeezed everything they could out of that group during the regular season and they can't elevate their game in the playoffs. They do have good goaltending though. Florida on the other hand will be a tough tough opponent.

Surprisingly, I'm sorta leaning that way too.  After all, the Bruins have lost 5 of their last elimination games and that was before game 6 happened.  They're now at 6 in a row at failed attempts to close out a series.  The team Bos had last year that lost being up 3-1 vs Flor was unarguably a much stronger team than this years.  Amazingly, the Leafs might have a chance at wining this series.  

28 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The team Bos had last year that lost being up 3-1 vs Flor was unarguably a much stronger team than this years.  Amazingly, the Leafs might have a chance at wining this series.  

Absolutely, the Bruins last year had Bergeron and Krecji. I give the Bruins credit for being a hard working, disciplined team with excellent goaltending but they don't have the talent to take it up a level. I would love to be wrong but I am 90% sure they are done. 

Fortunately a well rested Florida team will be a formidable foe for the Leafs.  But stranger things have happened. 

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Very disappointed in the Bruins. 

Those bastards had ONE JOB and couldn't even do it.

Good-for-nothing pukes

🤮

I couldn’t be any more in agreement. 

Pitiful.  

Pastrnak is one of the wimpiest, suckiest, crybabyest player I’ve seen in a long time. Fragile wimp needs to engage. 

I will also say that the refs were terrible. There was a missed boarding penalty and Marchand should have drawn two or three penalties but he gets the Gallagher treatment by the refs. 

Terrible reffing aside, Boston only bothered to show up and play hard for 30 of the 60 minutes - useless ####

I just don't think the Bruins are overly strong.  Their #1 center is Charlie Coyle whose career best is 60 points (this year) and he is 32 so he has had a few years to reach his potential. If that is your #1 center then you are not that strong up the middle. 

I am disappointed like most here that the Bruins didn't finish the Leafs off but I think the Leafs are the more talented team, especially up front. I will likely find myself cheering for Florida in the next round. Florida has Barkov and Reinhart as their top 2 centers, massive difference. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just don't think the Bruins are overly strong.  Their #1 center is Charlie Coyle whose career best is 60 points (this year) and he is 32 so he has had a few years to reach his potential. If that is your #1 center then you are not that strong up the middle. 

I am disappointed like most here that the Bruins didn't finish the Leafs off but I think the Leafs are the more talented team, especially up front. I will likely find myself cheering for Florida in the next round. Florida has Barkov and Reinhart as their top 2 centers, massive difference. 

Series ain't over yet.

Crowd will be wild on Saturday!!

4 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Series ain't over yet.

It certainly isn't and game 7's can be hard to predict BUT the Leafs have the momentum and the Bruins have all the pressure. If I was betting money I would take the Leafs but certainly hoping for the Bruins. 

The Leafs have been down 3-1 to the Bruins before and forced game 7 and lost in 7.

In fact the Leafs and losing game 7 is more of a thing than the Bruins losing series is. 

Woll is the difference maker for the Leafs. If he stands on his head again in game 7 they will win. If he gets rammed by the Booings or screened on all goals, they Leafs will fold.

I don't want the puke of Marchand to win

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't want the puke of Marchand to win

It is the lesser of two evils here. I would much much rather have Marchand win than have to listen to Leaf nation. The Bruins likely get smoked by Florida anyway.  Go Bruins on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It is the lesser of two evils here. 

Exactly ... almost like comparing murder (Laffs winning) to trespassing (BB's winning).

😉

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Exactly ... almost like comparing murder (Laffs winning) to trespassing (BB's winning).

😉

I haven't cared for the Leafs ever. I always thought the hype was media driven.

I have always hated the Bruins, hated that Claude Julien had that stench on him when he cam back, specially since he dismissed the brawl where they pounded on a toothless Canadiens team the year they won the cup by injuring their players.

I hated how much praise Patrice Bergeron got; often being called a genttleman. :1vomit:

I hate that stuppid tune they play, the one other teams also play now.. I turn down the sound when at Habs games they play that DA, Da,DA... DA. DA-DA,-DA-da/da-da/da/da  💩

I hate that we have their past GM in the Habs office

I have the Boston Bruins

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I haven't cared for the Leafs ever. I always thought the hype was media driven.

I have always hated the Bruins, hated that Claude Julien had that stench on him when he cam back, specially since he dismissed the brawl where they pounded on a toothless Canadiens team the year they won the cup by injuring their players.

I hated how much praise Patrice Bergeron got; often being called a genttleman. :1vomit:

I hate that stuppid tune they play, the one other teams also play now.. I turn down the sound when at Habs games they play that DA, Da,DA... DA. DA-DA,-DA-da/da-da/da/da  💩

I hate that we have their past GM in the Habs office

I have the Boston Bruins

I have never liked the Bruins going way back to the Big Bad Bruin days, couldn't stand Lucic when he played for them 

but:

1) they have consistently been one of the better organizations in the NHL at building and maintaining a competitive team

2) I can't stand Jack Edwards, what a homer

3) I think Bergeron was one of the classiest guys around, had huge respect for him

4) I couldn't stand Marchand either but he plays with a lot of heart, he is a gamer, he shows up. 

Go Bruins against the Leafs and then go Florida against Boston. In between those 2 things, hopefully the Habs can win the lottery. A lot to hope for.  

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I have never liked the Bruins going way back to the Big Bad Bruin days

O'reilly and Johnathan days, or Jay Miller, Neely & Original Rat-Linseman ones? :nuts:

14 minutes ago, DON said:

O'reilly and Johnathan days, or Jay Miller, Neely & Original Rat-Linseman ones? :nuts:

I guess I could have been clearer as there have been a few Big Bad Bruin teams. I will go back to the Wayne Cashman, Ken Hodge and Johnny Mckenzie teams.  Orr and Espo also played on those teams. 

• Like 1

Will Marchand even play in game 7?

Not sure if any of you saw it but Marchand hilariously shoved a ref out of his way when he was in front of the Bruins bench because the ref was standing in the way of the door.

40.3 - Automatic Suspension - Category II - Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner, which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

He should get an automatic suspension for having shoved the ref in the way that he did.

I laughed my ass off when I saw him do it because I could pretty much read his mind:  "get outta my way you blind idiot"

10 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What an exciting finish for the Canucks. 

Congratulations 🎉

Not only was I on a BC Ferry during the game, but it was an older model of ferry with no TV hookup. So I was reduced to following the game via spotty cell reception - actually missed Suter’s goal. Oh well. I was glad they started Silovs. I liked his swagger in the earlier games. He just seems to have that “it” factor that some guys have. 

That was an absolute meat-grinder of a series; almost a caricature of NHL playoff hockey (right down to the bizarre refereeing that is always a talking point at this time of year).

Obviously the Canucks will not be favourites against mighty Edmonton - BUT. It will be a wildly different series and might come as a relief to Vancouver. Plus Van has zero pressure now, while EDM has a ton of it. Vancouver is also an elite defensive team capable of grinding with the best of them. If they can get Pettersson going - a big “if” - and if they can continue to get stellar netminding - another big “if” - then an upset is far from impossible.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not only was I on a BC Ferry during the game, but it was an older model of ferry with no TV hookup. So I was reduced to following the game via spotty cell reception - actually missed Suter’s goal. Oh well. I was glad they started Silovs. I liked his swagger in the earlier games. He just seems to have that “it” factor that some guys have. 

That was an absolute meat-grinder of a series; almost a caricature of NHL playoff hockey (right down to the bizarre refereeing that is always a talking point at this time of year).

Obviously the Canucks will not be favourites against mighty Edmonton - BUT. It will be a wildly different series and might come as a relief to Vancouver. Plus Van has zero pressure now, while EDM has a ton of it. Vancouver is also an elite defensive team capable of grinding with the best of them. If they can get Pettersson going - a big “if” - and if they can continue to get stellar netminding - another big “if” - then an upset is far from impossible.

I think Pettersson and Hughes will have significantly more room to move and create plays. 

I also think Vancouver has significantly better goaltending - be it Silvos or Demko. 

Of course, Vancouver better stay out of the box because Edmonton is dangerous 

Good to see Canucks move on and 3rd stringer play surprisingly solid with huge shutout, but vs Oilers i dont like Canuck chances. 

30 minutes ago, DON said:

Good to see Canucks move on and 3rd stringer play surprisingly solid with huge shutout, but vs Oilers i dont like Canuck chances. 

If Silvos plays like he did last night then Canucks have a chance. 

Im banking on Pettersson having the room to make a significant impact this series as well. If Hughes can fly and Pettersson can fly then Skinner is in trouble. 

I clearly want the Canucks to win 🏆 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I clearly want the Canucks to win 🏆 

Same, mostly because franchise has never won a cup.

McDavid 5 games 12 points (Draisaitl 10) already, will he stay hot and kill the Canucks? 

I clearly want Edmonton to win for a couple reasons:

1) I live in Edmonton, so I cheer for the Oilers if the Habs aren't in it but I certainly don't lose any sleep if the Oilers lose, my attachment is marginal

2) If the Oilers win then it improves the Winnipeg pick by 1 spot

The Canucks simply can't afford to taken any bad penalties as the Oiler power play is so dangerous.  A lot depends on Skinner, he played really well against LA.  I don't think you can say Silvos is significantly better than Skinner based on such a small sample size although it wouldn't be the first time a rookie goalie came out of nowhere to shine in the playoffs. 

I get why people are more likely to cheer for Vancouver, they are the underdog (although they had more points), have never won the cup before etc etc  should be a fun series.  McDavid is very motivated.