Islanders Sign Dipietro

Leafs Suck

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I wrote in the string 'Contracts around the NHL' yesterday.

"Here's a great one!

Thefourthperiod.com reports that the 'New York Newsday' reports that the Islanders have offered Rick DiPietro a 15-year, 67 million dollar contract (4.5 million per year).

If it's true and it could have been done, then this would have looked like another Mike-Milbury-he-did-what? move.

DiPietro would have had better be really good over the long haul because this could have become another Yashin-like move - not as much money committed but locked up for a long time - hypothetically 10% of a salary cap lost for 15 years... yuck.

But another thing I like is the third-handedness of the 'report' but I suppose that's normal.

Didn't they learn anything? They still have that Yashin deal hanging over and are about to do the same thing again?

What differs the wise from the dumb is that the wise learn from his or hers misstakes.

No one, not even Crosby should be signed for 15 years unless they take no more than 1 million per.

I thought the thread-poster was joking when I read the title. This is insane.

From 15 years at 4.5 million per year to 1 year at 2.5 million per year. There's a turn-around.

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/click?fu=376&fe=192&fp=28290

• 1 year later...

HOLY CRAP! :ninja:

The Islanders are nuts, this is the worst signing I can remember. From the article:

New York Newsday reports DiPietro is guaranteed the full $67.5 million if he suffers a career-ending injury, but it's not yet clear what would happen if he were to retire before the deal expires.

This is going to bite them in the ass. :monkey:

You'd think they would have learned after the Yashin deal that anything over 5 years is ######ED ! :wall: They will NEVER be able to trade him or get out of that contract ... how many teams have the same goalie that they had 15 years ago ??? NONE !!! Broduer is the only one even close. I thought Milbury was the root of all that evil in the island ( apparently he was only bad at trading franchhise players away for nothing ) ... but we all now know it was WANG ! :puke: and his new puppet Garth Snow ... No wonder Neil Smith bolted so quickly. I think the NHL should step in and kick the owners out ... they are destroying a once proud franchise.

it must really suck to be an Islander fan ... I pitty them :(

since Wang is so loose with his money,

any chance he'll bring back the expos?

since Wang is so loose with his money,

any chance he'll bring back the expos?

seriously though, this is crazy,

he has no hockey brain what so ever.

He goves me hope that some day, i can become the GM of a professional team

This is perfect evidence that Charles Wang and Garth Snow are not out to lunch like Milbury.

It's not like this is as bad as the Yashin $90m /10 yr deal...

...or is it?

The more things change in Long Island the more they stay the same.

CaliHabsFan raises a good point too. Miller, Pogge, Price, Lehtonen etc. There are marquee goalies emerging everyday. DiPietro is a big gamble here. Never sign a goalie this long. This is so dumb

:wacko:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Nice Garth Snow, nice! Talk about building a good GM reputation.

The Islanders franchise should be removed from the NHL ASAP. What a shame

I don't think this was Snow's fault or idea ... on TSN's article is was mentioned that they tried to do the 15 year deal after the lockout but couldn't get the insurance set so they signed him to a 1yr deal ... now Snow wasn't the GM then it was Mad Mike ... so it's WANG doing this ... someone who has no idea how to run a sports franchise !!

What's next .... are they gunna sign Satan to a new 10 year 6.66 mil a year deal ? or how about ( wait who else is on that team again ? :?- ) :puke:

They should just rename the team to the Wang Chungs ! :lol:

Edited by CaliHabsFan

:blink: .... ... .. AAAAAAAHHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA he hehe he .......... whoooo.......

Wow.

Wang is nuts.... Snow, is nuts for working for Wang. The Islanders........ are effectively screwed as long as Wang keeps sticking his nose in the GMs business.

:hlogo:

Its also being reported that the Isles have signed Viktor Kozlov today.

:hlogo: