Anybody Worried That Huet Might Be A One Hit Wonder?

Pierre the Great

He has played like 50 games and Mtl has already sanctified him -- what you mention is the unspoken fear of anyone who has followed the Habs for awhile (jeez, Pierre who'd a thunk you would come up with the unspoken fear!). If he struggles early and that continues the Bell boo birds will of course come out. Luckily he's not a 20 year-old and hopefully he can ride it plus Bob has Aebischer and can play Huet on the road. But yes Mtl is volatile and truth be told I for one have worried a bit about Huet The Second Coming.

YEah... but No... But Yeah But No but....Cause Aebisher is doing Huet's wife and thats why Huey is a little shaky but nevermind, cause Gainey says SHUT UP! cause Desjardins was fingering Halak and Danis's JEalous so we have no problem in NEt ... just ask Carbo... but he wasnt there so the question is useless and makes no sense !!! right?!?!

vicky_pollard.jpg

Edited by CoRvInA

With Roland Melanson guiding the way I'm not concerned. Huet is an agile goalie who takes up alot of net. Even if his numbers slip he should be close to an elite goalie IMO.

That's good enough for me. :hlogo:

Rollie the goalie wasn't able to turn Theo around. :(

I am certainly worried and I was last year. It was obvious to me that Huet has lateral movement issues, but he mostly got away with it. He also got lucky enough, long enough that the team played better in front of him, and he responded well.

The issue is can he play like last year if the team struggles in front on him, or teams start keying in on his weaknesses? I am not sure.

As for him being older, that is a plus and a minus. He will probably be steadier and calmer then a young guy, but I don't think we will see tremendous improvement in his overall skills (ie. lateral movement), since he has had a lot of time to fix it by now, and hasn't.

I am certainly worried and I was last year. It was obvious to me that Huet has lateral movement issues, but he mostly got away with it. He also got lucky enough, long enough that the team played better in front of him, and he responded well.

The issue is can he play like last year if the team struggles in front on him, or teams start keying in on his weaknesses? I am not sure.

As for him being older, that is a plus and a minus. He will probably be steadier and calmer then a young guy, but I don't think we will see tremendous improvement in his overall skills (ie. lateral movement), since he has had a lot of time to fix it by now, and hasn't.

Huet is not a goalie that is heavily reliant on unnecesary lateral movement - he is very sound positionally, so that results in minimal need to move from side to side at the last minute. In other words he is not a goalie who must react to the situation at the last second, as he has positioned himself correctly more often than not.

As for the suggestion of his age and not solving any problems he has already - sometimes the previous goalie coach(s) may not have been able to do it because of their own inability? We need to realize that it's not always the fault of the student - sorry to those of you who may be teachers, but sometimes the student needs another person to bring out their best!

Melanson is widely considered one of the best in the NHL at his craft - Blaming Theodore's problems(and his inability to correct them) on him is ludicrous..... Theodore was his own worst enemy.

And it's the exhibition season and these topics are popping up already - no wonder why players are so gun shy to sign with the Habs's.....

Edited by beliveau1

LoL. I'm just saying. To me he seemed to come out of nowhere (now I know he played a year in LA). I dunno. I just hope he doesn't end up like Kurt Warner or somebody. God, if he has another insane year people will start making comparisons, lol. People need to stop with second coming stuff. Or he'll end up like JD Drew who everyone said was the next Mantle. LOL were they wrong.

As an ex-goalie, I can tell you that no matter who you are, season in season out you will be hot and cold. There's a mental space that I called the zone. When you are in that frame of mind everything clicks.

Most, if not all NHL goalies have the technical ability to pull off great performances, its the ones in the zone that are hot, and the ones who do it most regularly are great.

There is nothing like the feeling you get when you are just out of the zone, every shot you feel you have goes past your glove by 2cm. Rebounds all go to opponents sticks. Patrick Roy had one of those his last night with Montreal, worst feeling in the world, "The Anti-zone". Man, to look to the bench and the coach not to at least call time out and talk to you, no wonder he was pissed.

Crazy old goalie talk....

Huet will find the zone again and Danis will be number two by mid season.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

No, but maybe his sponsor will! :D

In all seriousness tho... a coke addiction is a bad thing.

I would be worried if we had only Huet then a bunch of minor leagues to back him up, but Aebischer is capable of doing the job the number 1 should Huet falter, and even Danis can play a few games now and then and do a respectable job. It would take incredible bad luck for Huet,Aebischer and Danis to suck all at the same time.

I'm not too worried. Huet is a very quiet, technically good goalie. Because of this he is much less likely to go on hot and cold streaks. Theodore was exactly the opposite. This also means that Huet is liable to do well as the goalie on a team with a good defence, again unlike Theodore.

This is why I am also especially optimistic about Price.

I don't know. I can't tell if the guy's for real or isn't. I've seen to many people in sports have one awesome year then teeter back to average at best. Example of this would be Roman Turek. He used to play for the Blues was awesome for 2 years then was a dud. He layed a big giant ball of suckiness after that.

Bottom line.... so what?

The sun will rise tomorrow and the STRONG HAND OF LOVE will always be there.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I thought about it most of the summer.

Huet was amzing last year and I just hope if he has a few rough games at the start of the season Habs fan give him some slack.

I made sure that I did not get myself pumped up for Huet this summer because I believe he will not be as good as last season.

But I am very happy with the Canadiens depth in goal right now!

I think he cant top last season, that would be insane. Than he would be from a backup goalie immediately one of the best in the league. I think it was a hot ride, but i still think he's a good goalie, good enough for us. I think he will have his up's and downs, but im sure affraid that maybe it was a one season wonder. But i have faith in him, and our other goalies. Well time will tell.

Oh and Corvina, stay of the Liquor ;)

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Bottom line.... so what?

The sun will rise tomorrow and the STRONG HAND OF LOVE will always be there.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Er... what?

I think Aebischer will end up stealing the starter;s job, or that they will atleast end up platooning. I'm not so confident in Huet.