Not Happy About Souray Trade Rumour

Nilan25

I am not happy about this recurring rumour. This guy has 10 goals, the hardest shot in the league, makes our power play decent which has been reponsible for a large part of our success. He always plays hard, is the first to step in for a teamate and is TOUGH. He is always chatting on the bench and just seems to display leadership. I don't get it.

Edited by Nilan25

He is minus 5, 3 points even strength, I wouldn't say he is the first to step in but occaisionally he does. He normally waits until after the whistle and hits someone and gets a penalty. The real reason there are rumors and in my opinion will be moved is he is unrestricted, will require a big contract and so will Markov. Markov is a much more complete player, he is the one needing to be signed.

Oh, he is really slow not very good in his own zone.

So long as the team is winning, and Souray is not a morale killer to the team, he will not be moved. For the Habs to be successful in the regular season to make the post season, they will need Souray to have a career season. To move him would not benefit the team at all. Yes, they may lose him as a UFA, but the benefit to keeping him as long as possible exceeds the risk. Gainey is very hockey wise; he understands that Souray make the team stronger.

Personally, I would keep him only if his salary demands are not too high. He is not worth what McCabe makes [$5.75M] nor what Kubina makes [$5M]. He may get a contract similar to those two from some other team, but the Habs know he is a very injury prone player, who is playing with an injured shoulder that requires surgery, and he's not very good defensively. The Habs should offer him something in the low $4M range, which is about what Markov should be offered.

I am not happy about this recurring rumour. This guy has 10 goals, the hardest shot in the league, makes our power play decent which has been reponsible for a large part of our success. He always plays hard, is the first to step in for a teamate and is TOUGH. He is always chatting on the bench and just seems to display leadership. I don't get it.

Most of the team is minus, including Saku, Lats, Kovy, Ryder, Murray, etc...

Souray is worth a lot since he gives us scoring from the back end, and especially on the PP. The PP is the bread and butter of the league these days.

Most top offensive defensemen are heavily weighted toward PP points, since that is when they get the bulk of their chances.

I would definitely pay Souray between 4 and 5 million per year. I would give Markov similar money.

I don't have a problem with him punishing people, just do it before the whistle blows, he waits too long. I agree about being paired with Rivet, he should IMO be paired with Dandy who is fast enough to cover his mistakes.

Brobin, i agree about about the plus minus, all the habs but the third line, Markov and Komi and i think Steit are in the minus, they all need to pick it up 5 on 5.

Yes, they may lose him as a UFA, but the benefit to keeping him as long as possible exceeds the risk.

Are you crazy? You don't just let a $4million dollor player walk without getting something for him because you may make the playoffs. Who are we kidding here, the Habs most likely won't win the cup this year and if they do, it certainly won't be because they hung unto Sheldon Souray. He is having a great season this year which makes his stock high, and also means we could get an equal talent for him. I also agree that Gainey is very smart and therefore will unload him on or before the deadline, but I think he will get something for him that will help our team now, like a centre. I would hate to see us hang on to him for this year, lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs them lose him for nothing to free agency in the summer. That would be terrible management. If we were 1st or 2nd in the conference and the team was clicking on all cylinders, I would agree, that we should make a run with the team we have and only do some fine tuning but in our situation we can't afford to be letting players go who have a high value with other teams....because we have so few of them.

Souray was asked the question about his status in an interview this past Saturday; and his answer could be summed up into something like "I love it in Montreal... for now..." That's ambiguous as far as his intentions are concerned.

Gainey will probably try to re-sign him in January or February. If it fails, I say trade him. You can't pass an opportunity to move a big asset in return of some more assets. Dont forget that Habs got Souray from NJ by dumping Malakhov late in the season.

So I disagree that the benefits of keeping him would exceed the risks of losing him in the summer as a UFA. You have to consider what you might get in return for him in a trade; and that tips the scales in favor of trading him.

If Souray wants to stay in Montreal, make him prove it by signing before the season ends. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but the future of the team comes first.

The only way we trade Souray is if we get a young star centre in return.

He is too important to the team right now. We are winning games because of his play on the powerplay, and this makes up for any of his defensive gaffes. His shot, leadership, and toughness are irreplaceable. Gainey will stick with him because Sheldon will be one of the keys for a long playoff run.

After that, he signs with another team because we can't afford to give him at least $6M per season.

Are you crazy? You don't just let a $4million dollor player walk without getting something for him because you may make the playoffs. Who are we kidding here, the Habs most likely won't win the cup this year and if they do, it certainly won't be because they hung unto Sheldon Souray. He is having a great season this year which makes his stock high, and also means we could get an equal talent for him. I also agree that Gainey is very smart and therefore will unload him on or before the deadline, but I think he will get something for him that will help our team now, like a centre. I would hate to see us hang on to him for this year, lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs them lose him for nothing to free agency in the summer. That would be terrible management. If we were 1st or 2nd in the conference and the team was clicking on all cylinders, I would agree, that we should make a run with the team we have and only do some fine tuning but in our situation we can't afford to be letting players go who have a high value with other teams....because we have so few of them.

It's not crazy at all. If the Habs win the Cup this year, they'll need Souray to do it. Trading him before the deadline means the Habs are cashing in their chances to win this year.

At best, we'll get a prospect (like Souray was when we traded Malakhov, like Balej was when we got Kovalev). People who think we'll get an NHL -ready centre for an impending UFA are dreaming (dreaming, I tell ya!). If Souray doesn't sign, that frees up money to go after another UFA. We can't start trading our good players because we're afraid of their UFA status - the age is coming down, so we'll have this problem again and again.

If we unload him now, and then Markov decides he wants to test the free agency market, it will be a nightmare for our defence situation next year. With our lack of depth in near-term prospects back there, we can't afford to do that. It would also be destabilizing for the team Gainey is trying to build. We're really not that far away from serious contention.

At best, we'll get a prospect (like Souray was when we traded Malakhov, like Balej was when we got Kovalev). People who think we'll get an NHL -ready centre for an impending UFA are dreaming (dreaming, I tell ya!). If Souray doesn't sign, that frees up money to go after another UFA. We can't start trading our good players because we're afraid of their UFA status - the age is coming down, so we'll have this problem again and again.

If we unload him now, and then Markov decides he wants to test the free agency market, it will be a nightmare for our defence situation next year. With our lack of depth in near-term prospects back there, we can't afford to do that. It would also be destabilizing for the team Gainey is trying to build. We're really not that far away from serious contention.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Souray reminds me of McCabe but better defensively. Take away the powerplay and what's left?

But there is a powerplay, thus, he stays.

This isn't a computer game where you can trade a UFA for anything just so you get something, this is a team, where trading someone unnecessarily can screw up how the team functions.

Souray was asked the question about his status in an interview this past Saturday; and his answer could be summed up into something like "I love it in Montreal... for now..." That's ambiguous as far as his intentions are concerned.

Gainey will probably try to re-sign him in January or February. If it fails, I say trade him. You can't pass an opportunity to move a big asset in return of some more assets. Dont forget that Habs got Souray from NJ by dumping Malakhov late in the season.

So I disagree that the benefits of keeping him would exceed the risks of losing him in the summer as a UFA. You have to consider what you might get in return for him in a trade; and that tips the scales in favor of trading him.

If Souray wants to stay in Montreal, make him prove it by signing before the season ends. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but the future of the team comes first.

Arent you guys missing the point altogether ?

Sellers are teams that have abandonned any hope of making the playoffs......it's not our team's profile and

neither will it be on the eves of the trade dealine.

Sellers are for the loosers,....just like we where the year we dropped Malakhov, or the Rangers where when they dropped Kovalev, or Boston when they dropped Samsonov,...etc,....etc,....etc,....etc,....

Gainey will never deprived his team with the very elements that are crucial to their season's success and to their participation in the playoffs,.....just like any GM worth their salt wouldn't.

If anything the CH will be a buyer,....just like EDM was last year or MTL itself was the year it got Kovalev on board,....money mite preclude to this ideal scenario yet the buying scenario is relevant......while the selling

scenario is IRRELEVANT.

Arent you guys missing the point altogether ?

Sellers are teams that have abandonned any hope of making the playoffs......it's not our team's profile and

neither will it be on the eves of the trade dealine.

Sellers are for the loosers,....just like we where the year we dropped Malakhov, or the Rangers where when they dropped Kovalev, or Boston when they dropped Samsonov,...etc,....etc,....etc,....etc,....

Gainey will never deprived his team with the very elements that are crucial to their season's success and to their participation in the playoffs,.....just like any GM worth their salt wouldn't.

If anything the CH will be a buyer,....just like EDM was last year or MTL itself was the year it got Kovalev on board,....money mite preclude to this ideal scenario yet the buying scenario is relevant......while the selling

scenario is IRRELEVANT.

I agree with you 100%, although I wouldn't be surprised if we "sell" in order to "buy."

IF the Habs are serious contenders this season, then you keep Souray and hope to hell to sign him after the Cup parade. If you can't, he walks and - well, you tried.

IF they're not, then you make a serious offer in the new year and see. If, in your judgement, he won't sign for numbers that fit your organization's needs, then you trade him (I liked the Datsyuk rumour best).

But what if you don't think that Souray will sign, AND that the Habs, while not in the top-rank of contenders (Anaheim, Buffalo, etc.), ARE legitimate dark horse candidates to go all the way? Do you gamble that it will all come together at playoff time and risk losing Souray and getting nothing back? Or do you risk sabotaging this year's edition for the sake of smart asset management?

This is exactly the dilemma Gainey is facing. The Habs have a chance, but it's not a really good chance. It's a plausible long shot. So, what to do?

Me, I would err on the side of asset management until this team is clearly an elite club, if, again, we can't sign him. But it's a judgement call. So I trade Souray (hopefully for Datsyuk, with other players tossed in to even it out). But I respect a GM who doesn't.

And BTW, those who say that Souray is overrated because of his defensive limitations are delusional in my book. Souray singlehandedly = an effective PP, plus tons of leadership and size. I'll take the occasional breakdown for a top-10 offensive D man with size, thanks. Attacking Souray for his defensive lapses is about as sensible as attacking Komisarek for not scoring more goals.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

And BTW, those who say that Souray is overrated because of his defensive limitations...

Yeah, we could have Darien Hatcher instead lol

Souray is dealing with 1 on 1's better postionally this year. He still has some D liability but the improvement is there.

:clap:

RDS.... is talking about rumors and I'm watching images of Gainey and Carbo talking and then Carbo stating (that they have different opinions about where the teams headed) !!! hey man something brooding there!

I just saw this as I was opening this window to add something regarding Souray

SO something is ticking...

Regarding Souray Whats more important than Souray right now? exactly!! getting that second line up to par! So whatver happens to Souray would be and should be more than linked to a move that would fix that second line!

PERIOD

does it mean players on the second line dont get moved? noo it could mean anything...

Souray is usefull to the team ... its a trade off use him now maybe get a shot at the cup (WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH OUR FORWARDS)

and then lose him during the off season .. or get something that might fix our Centre situation and SAMMY!!!

there more factors than Just souray and his play and contract and UFA that will determine if SOuray stays or not IT DOESNT DEPEND ON SOURAY!

Agreed with last few posters..Souray has been better overall defensively than we wtinessed last year. He still can be maddening to watch sometimes especially the time it takes for him to deliver a breakout pass but ya can't have everything.

Rumours circulating about trades are best to be ignored in all forums but we are only human after all.

Souray is needed if the habs are to advance in playoff rounds so it's unlikely he will be moved. And every freakin team wants a better 2nd line centre..jeeeesh...

The reality of the new NHL is that free agents are going to move every spring. It's more like the NFL where teams try to re-load each summer.

Trading Sheldon Souray is just like trading Chris Pronger. You just can't do it! The guy is the best powerplay defencemen in the league, he's got 20 points(10 goals) and he's got a slapshot as hard as Al Macinnis!

Sheldon Souray should be delt before he gets hurt, which eventually will happen. Just look at his career. Then he usually goes into a slump following his comeback and just isn't the same after.

Even if he stays healthy, its just a matter of time before teams start keying on him on the powerplay and taking away his shot. Then his stock will plummet. The defense corp can stand the hit. But the team needs a centre. That second line is killing this team. Its quite obvious that the Kovalev, Samsonov line is a disaster and in need of some help that is not available on the current roster or in hamilton.

Its also apparent that Souray will not resign in Montreal and will be lost for nothing in the summer if not delt now. It just makes sense

Sheldon Souray should be delt before he gets hurt, which eventually will happen. Just look at his career. Then he usually goes into a slump following his comeback and just isn't the same after.

Even if he stays healthy, its just a matter of time before teams start keying on him on the powerplay and taking away his shot. Then his stock will plummet. The defense corp can stand the hit. But the team needs a centre. That second line is killing this team. Its quite obvious that the Kovalev, Samsonov line is a disaster and in need of some help that is not available on the current roster or in hamilton.

Its also apparent that Souray will not resign in Montreal and will be lost for nothing in the summer if not delt now. It just makes sense

Exactly.

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for over a year, and I finally decided to go ahead and register and post. I just wanted to say that I can't agree with the above. You can't trade the guy just because people might eventually start catching on to his style in the powerplay. That's a "Maybe" they will at best. Not a lot of people are going to want to put themselves in front of that shot, and that should be remembered. Saying that is like saying that everyone has the book on Huet.... Okay, maybe at some point, someone will figure out what how to slow him down, but until they do and he's not playing up to par, we can't risk losing him. The way our forwards have been playing (especially the second line) it's the D, and specifically Souray's scoring, that's kept us in, and won us, a lot of games. Where would we be without that this season? NOT in a good place.