Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

That line (Higgins, Pleks, Kosty) once put together was on a tear. If healthy, i would expect them by the end of the year to be the Habs top line.

What i mean by that is that line is also very responsible in there own end. Koivu Ryder and whoever the winger is have got to play better 5 on 5 and in there own end.

McKeen's has Higgins and Kostitsyn on their predicted top 10 ten breakout list :clap:

I try not to read McKeens...but I'm glad they agree.

If the Habs don't have a true offensive star in their system then don't you think they should acquire one or two?

I honestly believe the Habs would be a legit contender with 1 true offensive star, 1 more top tier d-man and then they would just need a couple of the young guys to play at the level they can(ie. Higgins, Pleks, Kosty, Lats, Komisarek, etc). I think Higgins, Pleks and Kosty are going to have break-out years. Higgins and Pleks are most of the way there anyhow. Throw in Koivu, Kovalev and a guy like Marleau and you have a nice balanced offense. One more guy who is as good as Markov would give the team an excellent top 4 on D that can move the puck in transition. That's all they need to be a top 4 seed in the conference.

Agreed

however, marleau will become a UFA next year. If we had a garantee he'd would be here for 3-4 years, I wouldn't mind at all.

as for breakout years: I believe its plekanec and higgins' time to shine. I think kostitsyn and latendresse are a year or two away but they still could have decent seasons.

Edited by marky_and_komi

If we don't have a stud on O, and none in the farm, then where exactly are we going to get goals?

As stated before: sign-and-trade, get Marleau under for 3 or 4 years and trade for him. If none of our prospects are bona fide O stars in the making, trade some away - easier to replace.

Plus our farm system is heavily stocked.

We have no identity, no swagger. We have journeymen and pluggers galore, enough to fill 4 lines of 3rd and 4th line-quality players. We have nice O players, no-one that stands out. I am a big fan of BG's, but we are patiently building towards...what exactly? A 7th seed? Waiting for Price so we can become the Devils pt. II?

If we don't have a stud on O, and none in the farm, then where exactly are we going to get goals?

As stated before: sign-and-trade, get Marleau under for 3 or 4 years and trade for him. If none of our prospects are bona fide O stars in the making, trade some away - easier to replace.

Plus our farm system is heavily stocked.

We have no identity, no swagger. We have journeymen and pluggers galore, enough to fill 4 lines of 3rd and 4th line-quality players. We have nice O players, no-one that stands out. I am a big fan of BG's, but we are patiently building towards...what exactly? A 7th seed? Waiting for Price so we can become the Devils pt. II?

Yeah, too many fans are waiting for Price: 'in two or three years, he'll make us great.' But three or four years ago, we were all saying, 'just wait three or four years, Latendresse and Plekanec and Higgins and Perezhogin will be here...'

There's a problem here. People are losing sight of what rebuilding means. It means, have faith in your young players TO IMPROVE.

So I say, look to the young players we've got. Higgins, Latendresse, Plekanec, Komisarek, and (perhaps) Kostityn - these are the nucleus that will determine how this season goes and to a lesser degree the next few seasons. We seem to have lost our collective belief in these players, even though they are all right on track and living up to the projections. Higgins has genuine all-star potential - the question is whether he can stay healthy. Lats has an unbelievable ceiling, although he clearly needs more seasoning (a second-half breakout would not surprise me). Pleks was a PPG player in the second half last year. Has he come into his own? We'll see. Komi needs to only to round out his game a little further to become the bone-crushing shut-down artist he's destined to become. Is this the year he goes from a 3-4th defenceman to a 2-3rd defenceman? Perhaps. Kosty, he might be the real deal, but for now I'd say he's a bonus if he materializes this season.

It's too bad about Perezhogin. But we need to keep our cool here. If these players continue to develop, we could be surprisingly competitive.

Having said that, we still do need an elite centreman. Again, if these players continue to develop, we may be in a better position to acquire one - they'll be hot commodities.

Sang froid is what Habs fans need at this juncture. It's a pivotal moment in our rebuilding plan. I just wish I saw more enthusiasm in Habsland...

I always see it this way for the Habs when it comes to rumors. If something is reported, it ain't going to happen.

Gainey runs a tight ship and most of his moves always come out of no where.

Marleau just resigned with the Sharks...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/235847.html

To the pessimists this means he'll be in San Jose for 3 more years..

To the optimists it might seem like a sign and trade is in the works, although at 4.5mil there is no way the Sharks are dumping him for nothing less than the farm...

Geez..What a bargain.

Marleau just resigned with the Sharks...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/235847.html

To the pessimists this means he'll be in San Jose for 3 more years..

To the optimists it might seem like a sign and trade is in the works, although at 4.5mil there is no way the Sharks are dumping him for nothing less than the farm...

Geez..What a bargain.

$4.5m is what he'll earn next year, which is the final year of his contract. His new contract kicks in next summer, and he'll get an average of $6.3m a year for the next 2 years.

Marleau for me was a figurehead - it would have been great to get him, seems remote now - but a trade for a big player that makes others stand up and take notice is what I was on about.

I'd give the Habs until the end of this season. If they don't make the playoffs again, they have to scrap their plans and start with a new approach. It will be a bit tough telling everyone 'Oh, we have this great prospect', 'Look how good the Bulldogs are', if we continue to fail to even make the playoffs - when the goal has to be something way beyond sneaking in an 8th spot.

On the point of a French player has to make the first step and come here, trade for one - they will have to come here regardless (barring a petty refusal).

I take that bet, provided I don't have to pay until I have $100 to spare.

I'd take that bet say "if I win, you pay me 100$, if you win I pay you a million dollars."

whaa? Where is this coming from?

I'll be back for this when the season will start. I have a nice story but it's 100% confidential now for both artistic and hockey related reasons.

I'd take that bet say "if you win, you pay me 100$, if I win I pay you a million dollars."

do you means : if Koivu is gone before Christmas you'll give me a million ???