2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

I just watch a short video of Grigorenko interview in Edmonton, for a young man who did not speak a word of English when he came to Quebec last year he has down remarkably well. The fact he has done so well would indicate intelligence, dedication to achieve and determination in what he strives to accomplish. Definitely good traits in a young man. I also did not realize he was that big. If he ends up in Montreal I would not be upset. It certainly looks like Montreal has the opportunity to really get a great prospect this year.

Might be hard to get that guy that can play 20 minutes a night, very shallow free agent pool this year. If we could, that would be great, although if we're going to dream, lets get rid of Kaberle too, he's so soft out there it makes me nauseous.

I just watch a short video of Grigorenko interview in Edmonton, for a young man who did not speak a word of English when he came to Quebec last year he has down remarkably well. The fact he has done so well would indicate intelligence, dedication to achieve and determination in what he strives to accomplish. Definitely good traits in a young man. I also did not realize he was that big. If he ends up in Montreal I would not be upset. It certainly looks like Montreal has the opportunity to really get a great prospect this year.

Thats what I like, he's a big guy, and seems to have loads of talent.

He's reached an age where he must be subjected to waivers to be put in the AHL or Europe so unless you want to keep him on the big club you move him out via trade. I'd take a third rounder for him

As for being mirror image with PK in the OHL, I disagree, they may have had similar stats but Weber was no where near as dynamic as PK. PK also greatly improved his D post draft to the point where in his final year in the OHL he was named the 2nd best defensive D in the conference by the coach's poll.

Not if he starts the season in the AHL. And, yes waivers would be in effect if he needs to be called up. But there are 2way contract in place to facilitate club needs if a dman is in needed.

And, using dynamic to separate Weber and PK is too easy. As i recall, Weber was a beast for the Rangers in the OHL vs PK's Bulls. I believe they faced off for the championship. I watched that series very intently with both those prospects looking solid.

Anyways, comparing PK and Yan now is not even possible. PK is clearly a legit top 2, and potential #1 stud. Plums and sweet luscious peaches being compared.

Realistically, Weber should be packaged with some young depth, a prospect and a couple seconds in a bid for the Oilers #1. If this doesn't happen, I feel he should be left down to play in the AHL until he is dominant or waaay more confident. Which ever comes first. He is still an asset, and not worth recycling a draft pick out of impatience.

Might be hard to get that guy that can play 20 minutes a night, very shallow free agent pool this year. If we could, that would be great, although if we're going to dream, lets get rid of Kaberle too, he's so soft out there it makes me nauseous.

Thats what I like, he's a big guy, and seems to have loads of talent.

Kaberle just needs a stay at home partner... Guy was still on pace for 40+ assists and 45 points in a Habs jersey, something only 11 D in the NHL did.

As for the shallow FA pool, its not if you are looking for a 20 minute per game defenceman... its only shallow if you are looking for a #1 guy, we're not, we need a #4.

You've got Suter at the top

Then Carle and Wideman who don't fit our needs.

Garrison who i'd love but he's gonna get overpaid.

Then you've got Brad Stuart who is going to california.

So by the time you reach the level of guys I'm targetting, you are into the 4th tier or so.... Rozisval, Allen, Jackman, Zanon,

Not if he starts the season in the AHL. And, yes waivers would be in effect if he needs to be called up. But there are 2way contract in place to facilitate club needs if a dman is in needed.

He needs waivers to start the season in the AHL.

He needs waivers to be sent down.

He needs re-call waivers to be called up....

And, using dynamic to separate Weber and PK is too easy. As i recall, Weber was a beast for the Rangers in the OHL vs PK's Bulls. I believe they faced off for the championship. I watched that series very intently with both those prospects looking solid.

Anyways, comparing PK and Yan now is not even possible. PK is clearly a legit top 2, and potential #1 stud. Plums and sweet luscious peaches being compared.

Realistically, Weber should be packaged with some young depth, a prospect and a couple seconds in a bid for the Oilers #1. If this doesn't happen, I feel he should be left down to play in the AHL until he is dominant or waaay more confident. Which ever comes first. He is still an asset, and not worth recycling a draft pick out of impatience.

He won't make it to the AHL... he needs waivers, there is no two ways around this.

You either keep him on the big club, or you trade him, or you put him on waivers, there is no other option.

He needs waivers to start the season in the AHL.

He needs waivers to be sent down.

He needs re-call waivers to be called up....

He won't make it to the AHL... he needs waivers, there is no two ways around this.

You either keep him on the big club, or you trade him, or you put him on waivers, there is no other option.

Well, then. See ya Yannick.

I thought there was a window where player were able to be placed into the A prior to the start of the season where waivers weren't applicable. My bad.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking Weber doesn't make it past draft day, he's expendable, and if he brings a 2nd round pick, etc, then he'll be gone, I predict.

I wouldn't worry about the 6th D... I'd go after a Jackman or Allen to play in the top 4. Heck Bryce Salvador is looking like more and more of a good option cause he's older and wouldn't want a long term deal and the guy we sign just needs to be a stop gap.

My thinking is that you need a D who can play 20 minutes per night.

1) Emelin might have a sophomore slump.

2) Markov's health is a question mark

If neither of those happen and our signing plays with Kaberle.... thats good for us, we'll have a damn good defence. If however our signing needs to be top 4 he can be.

I'd line it up

Gorges or UFA - Subban

Markov - Gorges or UFA

Kaberle - Emelin

Diaz

2)

Do you really think Kaberle will still be with us next season. I was thinking/expecting both Kaberle and Gomez to be gone. What do you think?

Do you really think Kaberle will still be with us next season. I was thinking/expecting both Kaberle and Gomez to be gone. What do you think?

I see value in having Kaberle if we lose one of Weber or Diaz and Campoli (obviously gone). Depth in puckmovers is never a bad thing and if our UFA is a physical/defensive guy, then we have a balanced d-core. For his production his salary is manageable.

Yes I still think Kaberle will be here, for two reasons.

1) he actually performed well in Montreal, despite what you may believe.... he was on pace for 40 assists and about 45 pts in a Habs jersey. Only 11 D in the league last year had 45 pts, so its a rare commodity.

2) Markov's health is still a concern.

Yes, he's week defensively, but that problem was made worse by bad coaching. Making Kaberle and Campoli a pairing was the worst coaching decision I've seen in a long time. He needs a steady, stay at home, physical partner, not a worse version of himself beside him. This was just dumb. Should've been Kaberle and Emelin.

He gets lumped in with Gomez all the time, and thats really unfair to Kaberle... no where close to the same situation.

=============================================

Onto the next prospect though

Branden Troock, an Edmonton Native, and member of the Seattle Thunderbirds. He is a big power forward prospect.

http://lastwordonspo...branden-troock/

• Upvote 1

I think Kaberle will stay, just because getting rid of him and Gomez would be too good to be true (please, powers that be, at least get rid of Gomez)

Yeah, I don't think people realize that if Kaberle gets his head in the game we have three very good puckmovers on all three D lines. That's something no other team can boast. Our PP would be epic.

That's if everything works out. I don't want to sound like a Leaf fan and make claims of everyone meeting their potential and nothing ever going wrong ;)

• Upvote 1

People miss the forest for the trees. Gomez is a bona-fide, massive problem. Kaberle is a useful player, just somewhat one-dimensional. Every team has a couple of guys like Kaberle (look at NJ with Zidlicky), but NO decent team has a $7-million dead weight like Gomez.

• Upvote 1

Grigorenko or one of other 4 logical choices at #3 are all very promising prospects, so 100% chance of getting a super looking kid. And if Timmins/Bergevin has determined Grigorenko worthy, that is good by me and he will end up being a big boy, not sure if Gaborick/Kovalchuk big, but quite similar no doubt 6'3" 220lbs?

Yes I still think Kaberle will be here, for two reasons.

1) he actually performed well in Montreal, despite what you may believe.... he was on pace for 40 assists and about 45 pts in a Habs jersey. Only 11 D in the league last year had 45 pts, so its a rare commodity.

2) Markov's health is still a concern.

Yes, he's week defensively, but that problem was made worse by bad coaching. Making Kaberle and Campoli a pairing was the worst coaching decision I've seen in a long time. He needs a steady, stay at home, physical partner, not a worse version of himself beside him. This was just dumb. Should've been Kaberle and Emelin.

He gets lumped in with Gomez all the time, and thats really unfair to Kaberle... no where close to the same situation.

=============================================

Onto the next prospect though

Branden Troock, an Edmonton Native, and member of the Seattle Thunderbirds. He is a big power forward prospect.

http://lastwordonspo...branden-troock/

He could be a super pick with Habs 63rd slot, and i thought he stood out at the U18s and i think you are correct and Wilson should be slotted much closer to Troock than 20-35th and Troock actually seems more of a player than Wilson to me, but really havent seen much of either.

He could be a super pick with Habs 63rd slot, and i thought he stood out at the U18s and i think you are correct and Wilson should be slotted much closer to Troock than 20-35th and Troock actually seems more of a player than Wilson to me, but really havent seen much of either.

I had them both really close as I had Wilson in the 50s. One of my colleagues had Wilson in the teens. The others around where he was drafted.

When we did the math, thats what came out.

I had them both really close as I had Wilson in the 50s. One of my colleagues had Wilson in the teens. The others around where he was drafted.

When we did the math, thats what came out.

Sure and maybe Wilson will turn out as good as a 1st rounder should, but i would take a Matteau/Samuelsson/Bozon in that range instead.

Do you see Timmins/Bergevin making moves (picks/players) on draft day? Moving up to grab a player in second 1/2 of 1st round maybe (Samuelsson)? or Trading down with pick #50 to add later picks?

Or will Bergevin be looking more to July 1st to put his stamp on team and stick with slots they have now (i know is somewhat dependant on Timmins favorites players sliding or not)?

Since Bergevin has never been a GM before and this is our first run through, we don't really know.

Dudley is well known for moving up and down with his picks. Montreal with Timmins as head scout has done quite a bit of movement with our picks as well. So that should indicate that we might move. But Bergevin is the guy in charge here, and we just don't know his style.

I would say this about the tradition of Habs picks, mind you we are under different management; if the pick seems obvious to you, then in all likelyhood, that will not be the pick!

2009 Leblanc was fairly obvious at 17th (with Louis ranked 18th and draft being held in Montreal),

2010 Tinordi was a surprise and i had pulled for big centres Charlie Coyle or Brock Nelson.

2011 Beaulieu once fallin to 17th was a no-brainer, but i had originally hoped for 1 of 2 centres to still be available at 17 in Marks Shiefele or McNeill.

Maybe this year, will finally get a highly skilled centre or 2, a skilled winger and a Ryan White type with better hands. But however turns out should be a super restocking.

But overall you are correct and draft is a big crapshoot; but early next week JugHead Bob McKenzie will put out his (TSN's) final ranking and he has correctly named the #3 pick for 5 years running and if you had to wager, it would had to bet against him (he had Ryan Murray at #3 in Feb)