Jan 28, Flames vs Habs, 7 PM

tomh009

Great game so Far! I love the pass that Perry sent to Gallagher for the 1st goal! Also love the fact that we have two more PP goals and another SH goal. Unbelievable! 

So ... those are new pads that Price is wearing, are they not? White-red-white rather than the near-solid red that he was wearing on the road trip. Or did he already have these ones in Vancouver?

Just now, tomh009 said:

So ... those are new pads that Price is wearing, are they not? White-red-white rather than the near-solid red that he was wearing on the road trip. Or did he already have these ones in Vancouver?

I think they are his new pads!

When will Suzuki's point streak end?  Is it silly to wonder if it might last all season?  Point a game players are not unheard of.  It would be insane if he develops into one.  I don't believe that possibility is unrealistic and it can be ruled out. 

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This is one of those games where the score is much more lopsided than the actual quality of the game.  Calgary's defence has stymied a lot of Montreal's opportunities yet the Habs have four on the board.  I'll give Montreal's defence some credit too as they haven't allowed many Grade A chances to the Flames either.

They are showing that they have talent and can finish, which is great.  However, you are right that they are not playing perfectly by any means.  They are loosey goosey at times and make mistakes.  However, in time they should be able to tighten those things up and get better.  ex:  in this game so far their D looks better than in any other game. 

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This is one of those games where the score is much more lopsided than the actual quality of the game.  Calgary's defence has stymied a lot of Montreal's opportunities yet the Habs have four on the board.  I'll give Montreal's defence some credit too as they haven't allowed many Grade A chances to the Flames either.

I was thinking of the old adage that the signal of an end to a wining streak is winning a game that you shouldn't (tonight isn't quite that ... but as you say the play is closer than the score) and a losing streak is losing a game you should ... both based on play, not score or expectations

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

2 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I think they are his new pads!

Expect he has had them for a while ... takes time for new pads to be broken in sufficiently for a goalie to use them in a game

7 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Great game so Far! I love the pass that Perry sent to Gallagher for the 1st goal! Also love the fact that we have two more PP goals and another SH goal. Unbelievable! 

It's ridiculous how many short handed goals they have but their penalty killers can snipe. This rate can't continue but you take it when you can get it.

Just now, GHT120 said:

Expect he has had them for a while ... takes time for new pads to be broken in sufficiently for a goalie to use them in a game

Over 10 days ago I saw a clip of Price practising and he wasn't wearing the all red pads and they claimed he had ditched them.  However, Price kept using the all red pads in games.  He must have been working in those white n red pads for a while. 

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Over 10 days ago I saw a clip of Price practising and he wasn't wearing the all red pads and they claimed he had ditched them.  However, Price kept using the all red pads in games.  He must have been working in those white n red pads for a while. 

You add correct , on another thread I commented on port journalist that was asking Price  if he had changed his pads.

Price asked the journalist if he meant in practice, but the journalist implied it was in a game- Price said no

Ptrce has been breaking in these pads in practice for a few weeks now. I think he changes pads every few

weeks

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You add correct , on another thread I commented on port journalist that was asking Price  if he had changed his pads.

Price asked the journalist if he meant in practice, but the journalist implied it was in a game- Price said no

Ptrce has been breaking in these pads in practice for a few weeks now. I think he changes pads every few

weeks

I saw your post and I'm referring to something totally different.  I saw a clip with John Lu on TSN that was aired 2-3 games ago.  This is the 1st game he has worn these pads. 

Loved Weber and Edmundson going in to support Evans et al in the scrum behind the net despite rule that would move the face-off out of the Flames zone ... well worth it ... team seems to have good camaraderie. 

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's ridiculous how many short handed goals they have but their penalty killers can snipe. This rate can't continue but you take it when you can get it.

It sort of reminds of the games where 1 team gets 30 shots and the other only has 3 but wins 3-0.   Sure, that can be a fluke, but if they are routinely doing it at what point can luck be ruled out? 

Another thing I believe contributes is that the Habs dont have an elite scorer.  They are winning by committee.  If they are all capable of hitting the back of the net it's impossible for a team to be able to double team the Habs entire team. 

Too bad the challenge failed ... not only to protect Price's shutout but also to take a goal away from Lucic

9 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I saw your post and I'm referring to something totally different.  I saw a clip with John Lu on TSN that was aired 2-3 games ago.  This is the 1st game he has worn these pads. 

Ah, ok

I completely missed that report.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Working much better so far!

JINXER ! ! ! !

32 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

When will Suzuki's point streak end?  Is it silly to wonder if it might last all season?  Point a game players are not unheard of.  It would be insane if he develops into one.  I don't believe that possibility is unrealistic and it can be ruled out. 

They are showing that they have talent and can finish, which is great.  However, you are right that they are not playing perfectly by any means.  They are loosey goosey at times and make mistakes.  However, in time they should be able to tighten those things up and get better.  ex:  in this game so far their D looks better than in any other game. 

The record to start a season is 51 by Wayne Gretzky (as part of his 60 game point streak which is the record, 9 from the previous year).

So yeah, I don't think he will score in all 56 games.

That doesn't mean he won't finish with 56 points.

Crummy final 3 minutes or so, but the good news is that this bunch showed the killer instinct to get 4 and put it out of reach before that happened.  I can't even count how many times this team was bitten by the failure to get at least 3 while in command, and then lost when the tide turned later in the game in the past few seasons.  I have a feeling that won't be an issue very often this season...and it's a good feeling.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... I still hate that crap head Lucic ... Perry is good enough to play full time 

Can't figure out why Lucic didn't get a roughing call for punching Sanderson in the face right at the end ... send a message refs

As for Perry, don't think it is a matter of whether he is good enough it is more can he handle full-time duty

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Can't figure out why Lucic didn't get a roughing call for punching Sanderson in the face right at the end ... send a message refs

As for Perry, don't think it is a matter of whether he is good enough it is more can he play that well full-time without fatigue setting in

Typical of Lucic to send a cheap shot when the game is over and it doesn't matter.  Perry does look good, he is hungry. 

Apparently Perry was tailing Lucic towards the end of the game...I think it calmed him down!

Too bad Carey couldn't get the shutout, he deserved it! But otherwise, great game by everyone!

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The record to start a season is 51 by Wayne Gretzky (as part of his 60 game point streak which is the record, 9 from the previous year).

So yeah, I don't think he will score in all 56 games.

That doesn't mean he won't finish with 56 points.

Ya, it is basicaly impossible to have a streak that long, but he could turn out to be a point a game guy.  The main reason I brought that up it is because so far he is the only Habs that is consistently getting points every game.  I think his streak will continue for a while and could be one of the longest to happen in years.