Game Thread | Thrashers d'Atlanta vs. Canadiens de Montréal | 10/30/07

Spider-Man NL

Two Atlanta goals should never have happened due to defenseman rushing to move a puck or not knowing how to take care of a puck.

I say Montreal deserved a point as they did have multiple chances to score but alas the puck would not go in the net. I got really mad on the second Thrasher goal and turned the tv off for 3 minutes, don't know what I missed and don't care. At least I was no longer mad and had my game face back on...(Like that helps ^_^ )

Energy and speed was there; not scoring a couple of goals to bury the thrash was what hurt the team....

Go Habs!!!

Higgins was pretty honest in his assesment saying that they did not deserve a point. You cannot come home form a succesful trip, get outshot 16-2 to start the game and rely on your goaltending to save a point. If they give that type of effort 10 times they will be lucky to get 2 points out of it.

60 minutes of hard work. Anything less than that is cheating yourself. If you lose, you should be able to sleep well at night knowing that you left it all on the ice.

I am willing to bet that alot of them will not sleep well tonight.

Work hard. Win games. Why is it so hard to just try your best?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed tonight that the Thrashers for the first two periods were really able to keep the Habs to perimeter shots. It was not until those PP's late in the game that they were able to cause any sort of traffic in front of Hedberg.

In order for them to win they will need to be successful at getting more rebounds and penetrating the defense of oppenets better. It will be up to guys like Lats and Higgins to get in there and get those garbage goals.

Well, I'm not ready to put on the hairshirt just yet. This MAY have just been a blip, a temporary regression back into last year's habits (like the home opener, which was their last really questionable outing). We'll see. The season hinges on the extent to which the team is willing to work hard and smart shift in and shift out. It's too soon to tell for sure whether these guys have it in them, but they've earned a little bit of good will with their effort for most of this season. Next game will be more crucial - not for whether they win or lose, but how they play.

They did the same thing coming home after opening a 3 game road trip and getting 5 points-they lost to Carolina and I was annoyed with their effort in that game too. We just got 4 points in 2 games away from the Bell Center. Tonight at least we got a point :)

I don't think we should be worried at all. Guy has them playing a solid system that will only improve. I believe our PK will improve. I am very impressed with the 5 team coordinated defensive and offensive style being demonstrated.

Good news is that Home is Habitant. Canadiens :hlogo: It'll come together better at home in time :clap: Good ol' Habs nostalgia. Can't beat them at the Forum. Home. A sidekick name for the H in the CH.

Play this at the Bell Center.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D_iaUwaPa-Y

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Who is hating on Kovy? I just don't understand why a guy of that skill has trouble in the shootout.

4/10 not bad, but with his shot and the way he can put the puck on a string, I would expect him to be more devestating.

don't forget Crosby was like 0-6 last year...

Me too, I love the internet streams finally can watch the Habs in Japan (except I have to get up at 8:00 am :wacko: )

Go Habs Go!!!

Most games start at 3:00am Doha time :puke:

I noticed tonight that which frustrated me so much last year.

a) Passing was always too far in front or in the skates of players.

B) Way too many shots missing the net, if they replaced shots on goal with scoring chances, I bet the gap would have been closer. A lot of Atlantas shots were flick on the net, without much possiblity of scoring.

Now for a surprise, Dandy is playing very well. I'm shocked how effective he is, and his speed, the way he backchecked to get to the Atlanta player on the 2 on 1 was a feat in its own.

I feel bad for Gorges, he made a mistake and will probably sit the next four games in the press box for it. If I was a player and knew one mistake would cost me a 4 game rest, I'd be nervous too.

Again, Habs are showing that they have trouble affirming themselves. They always match the oppostion, so they play well against good teams and horrible against lower teams. I long for the day when the Habs will be consistant regardless of the opposition.

That being said, Ryder needs to get demoted to the 4th line or scratched sooner or later. After missing the training session yesterday he should have been eating the boards all game long; instead he came out with another subpar performance. I wouldn't mind seeing anyone else get a chance with Higgs and Koivu, maybe it'd help that line burry their many chances once in a while.

I do not feel bad for Gorges, he was over rated by our staff. He had a good camp so what ??

He is being pushed away too easily AND he is not good enought to play PK or PP.

At least O'byrne could eat some ice time in PK without hurting us.

O'byrne, Valentenko, Coté, and even Joel Bouchard could do better.

Dandenault on the first line when we need a goal and people approve :blink:

I have seen enough of Grabovski for a while please, bring back Lapierre against Flyers or

we gonna get eat.

ANd if we need a goal and the effort is not there why not bring up both Lapierre and D'Agostini.

Lapierre taking left wing task on the third line.

D'Agostini taking Ryder place until we find a trade partner.

And to those who will say why move the players when we had a winning streak, i say find the best team

we can put on the ice. Who are the players that allwed us to gain points, keep them, who are the floaters??

Get rid of the floaters and move on to get a better team.

Man EasyRyder, a little tough on Gorges huh? If those other players were better then Gorges they would be playing. Goorges is fine, he had one bad play. I don't rercall you saying anything about Kovalev Markov and Komi watching Perron put one home as they stood around and watched. To pick out 1 player in that pathetic effort is ridiculous. That was a total team failure and Higgins and Koivu said as much. Talk is cheap, so it's to the team to improve the effort in the next game. There is no excuse for not working hard.

The forward lines need an enima: They have been really poor 5 on 5 again. They are too much of a perimeter team that doesn't skate.

Lats Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Pleks Kosty

Grabs Smoke Dandy

Begin Chipchura Kosto.

Is it just me or is Brisbois scared to take a hit to make a play?

Why is it as bad as they played, they take the lead, immediately after Brisbois throws it over the boards for no reason, he was barely pressured. The Habs as always lose there composure and fall apart for the next ten minutes. The next time they score they should take a timeout and settle everyone down.

If you told me at the beginning of the year the habs would have only played 2 bad games out of 11 i would have taken it.

SO i am interested in how they bounce back. You can't be considered a contender by taking days off.

Other consideration:

It's one damn game, in which we got a point.

Yes, the habs got rescued by their goaltender, although the thrashers got picked up by their goalie in the 3rd and OT. There will be nights this team gets rescued by the goalie... that's one of the reasons you want a good goalie.

The habs are coming off a 4 game winning streak and are on a 5 game point streak. Not bad.

Yeah, I'm less than enthused by Lats and Ryder... but I understand Carbo sticking with them for now. I wonder, however, if demoting both was only an in-game adjustment.

A couple notes.

Grabovski doesn't give up on plays. He is a tenacious little guy. If he continues this, I think I will start to like him. Kosty and Lats have been disapointing so far this year. They either need to pick it up, or get out of the way for Lappiere, (who I love) and Dagostini. (As Easy Ryder said.)

I'm buying a Price Jersey. I will be the guy in section 330 with the

Cow

Boy

Carrie

sign

O'byrne, O'byrne, O'byrne

Ok, here's the spew....

I saw it when the RDS camera shot went to the Habs heading to the ice, I've seen it before, no jump. I has become so evident to me just by the attitude of this team leaving their dressing room what team I will see. If anyone has a chance to see the whole game replayed, ie taped it, watch that part. Now go back and watch them come out in the last few road games. See the difference? What were the results? Get it together before you come on the ice. I tell the band the same when heading on stage. You have to be in command before the puck drops or the down beat.

Get it together guys, its all about attitudue and effort. We lost the battles all night, not the same team at all. Very disappointing. Decent outing for Price, I am happy with his development. Not perfect but held us in with some big key saves. Let's get the passes back on the tape, less turnovers and more drive along the boards. The next few games will be tough. We should win them, "IF" we can bring it out of the gate.

Great deek by Saku, had him looking for his shorts there.

A couple notes.

Grabovski doesn't give up on plays. He is a tenacious little guy. If he continues this, I think I will start to like him. Kosty and Lats have been disapointing so far this year. They either need to pick it up, or get out of the way for Lappiere, (who I love) and Dagostini. (As Easy Ryder said.)

I'm buying a Price Jersey. I will be the guy in section 330 with the

Cow

Boy

Carrie

sign

O'byrne, O'byrne, O'byrne

Yah, I don't get the negativity about Grabovski either. He brings a lot of speed and he doesn't give up on plays. Granted, he hasn't yet figured out how to put up numbers at this level, but I wouldn't rule out that happening eventually. I like him.

Higgins on the game

"If I was watching that game on television, I would have turned it off," Christopher Higgins said. "We weren't skating, we weren't physical, we weren't doing anything right. Two shots in the first period, that was embarrassing."

That A keeps looking better and better.

Speaking of Gorges, he actually had two bad plays. If you watched the game, when he came back on in the third he made a similar weak pass, except this time there were no Thrashers around to intercept.

Just watching the guy he seems a bit undersized, his physical play is definitely underwhelming.

Edited by smon

I don't remember the second one but (not an excuse) he was playing his off side. There is criticism for many D-men yesterday, Brisbois was just as bad.

So the criticism should be the same for everyone.

Price is the only one who showed up last night.

As I stated after the Pens game. The Wrestling fix continues. Atlanta up by one goal, who get's the 5 on 3 in the last 5 minutes? It's so blatant. The league should be embarrassed. The penalty on Kovy was obviously legit, but the shootout penalty in the last 5 is a joke.

Some thoughts on Kovy in the shootout....

I personally think Kovy has to stop tying the nice deke and do what he does best, shoot. If you recall last year, his success was usually from coming in and snapping a shot stick side on the guy.

IMO, that is the less risky move, since you have to execute the deke perfectly and it is easy to screw it up. If you don't have a great shot (Koivu), then yes, the best idea is to take the risk and use his skills to deke. When he does it right, like last night, it makes a highlight real. Most of the time, he doesn't score.

Kovy can beat a guy with his shot. :) Same goes for Ryder and Higgins. Ryder can't deke my cat, but if he puts that little snap shot just under the blocker... that is tough to stop.

This is not limited to the Habs by the way. We only see the fancy goals on the replays, but many of the "shooters" are scoring in the shootout by backing the guy up and picking the opening.

I don't remember the second one but (not an excuse) he was playing his off side. There is criticism for many D-men yesterday, Brisbois was just as bad.

So the criticism should be the same for everyone.

Price is the only one who showed up last night.

They were terrible. I don't know why people are always looking for scapegoats.

If O'Byrne was in the lineup instead of Gorges would they have worked harder?

Would they have been pressing like they were in the 3rd to get the penalty if it was 1-1?

etc etc etc.

They were outworked by a team that has some dangerous weapons. 9 times out of 10 you will lose.

It was a bad TEAM effort. They work hard they win, they don't they will lose.

I am interested to see how they bounce back on Thursday.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well that would be the criticism. He does nothing productive on the ice. Sure he is fast, he hustles but doesn't win any battles or score points.

He does win the occasional 'battle' by somehow coming up with the puck when you're sure he's going to lose it. But sure, I see the criticism - I just find it inane when applied to a raw rookie who is, on balance, a useful asset to throw out there in some circumstances. Otherwise put, whatever our problems, Grabs ain't it IMHO.