Game Thread | Predators vs. Canadiens | 12/01/07

Spider-Man NL

Before we crap all over Huet for falling apart, I think he might have hurt himself midway through the 3rd period before the floodgates opened. I think it was a breakaway or a partial breakaway for the Preds and Huet did kind of a "splits" and was pushed back in the net somewhat. It very briefly showed his face just afterward and he looked to be grimacing. He might have pulled something.

That might explain how horrible he looked in the shootout. He looked afraid to drop down, and when he did, it looked awkward.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huet played 50 min, then the flood gates opened.

It wasn't all his fault, the had like 50 million shots on net in the third alone

I have a gut feeling that carbo will rally the troops and get the big W in detroit.

All we have to do is find a way to shut down Zeterberg (sp?). he is 50% of there attack.

That might explain how horrible he looked in the shootout. He looked afraid to drop down, and when he did, it looked awkward.

He always looks that horrible in that shootout though. Maybe Carbo should consider swapping to Price in those situations? It can be tough for a cold goalie to jump straight into a shootout though. Anyways, what bothers me most about Huet is how he creates the illusion that he is going to hold the fort, gets the whole team to rely on him and count on/expect him to make big saves, but then he suddenly collapses. If you're going to be an all-star goalie, be one. I'd rather he sucks one game and is awesome the next game then the way he plays - mostly awesome, with bad goals every game.

As for the team in general, I doubt Gainey trades Ryder. In fact, I doubt he trades anyone. The only move I see happening all year is Bouillon getting replaced by Gorges/O'Byrne and maybe a depth forward at the deadline for a late pick (or Perezhogin's rights or something). We should not be counting on Gainey to make a move. In these sort of situations, all we can do is hope the team plays better.

All of those qualities have been MIA for the past 6 games. I get that he was having a tough time because of Ryder dragging the line down...but he hasn't fared any better with Ryder off of his line. He's the captain, and the highest-paid forward on the team....the man expected to lead the other underachievers by example...and he's just not doing that. Lord knows Koivu is no superstar: never has been, never will be.....but he is a good player when he's on his game. We need him to be on his game again...badly.

Well, if the team needs him back on his game - trading him would not solve that.

I just don't understand the panic some people are in, yes he's slumping, but it's been 6 games. Give him some time to work out of it.

I'd have to say with the exception of Kovalev, all of the team's forwards could be playing better right now.

what did people think of the lines last night

I liked them a lot. The problem was that we had to scratch Begin and Kostopoulos who both deserve to be playing.

Weird game really...............IMO we were totally outplayed in the 1st; and with all those breakaways/odd man rushes we should have been down a goal or 2.

Played a decent 2nd and scored the only goal.

And in the 3rd what the H-E-double hockey sticks happened?

Did we stop skating, [trying to protect the lead] or did we think [with a 3 goal lead] this game was safe. Good teams keep their foots on the throttle.........and IMO(again) we don't have that killer instinct that good teams do to finish off the other team when they are down.......

Carbo should do like last year what he did with Aebishier and Huet, they made them both fight for a starting goalie spot. Now Huet knows that Price will play around 1 game out of 3, he doesn't feel his position in danger. If they make Price play more give Huet the impression that Price is taking his place, Huet will play extra good and allow less stupid mistakes.

I think that somethink has to change.....

We should just give up trying to play a team defence.....

I just don't know what to say, I am sorely disapointed in the coaching of Guy Carbonneau......

this team is ripe for a good shake up, we are not a bad team just need a wake up call.

I think I am going to be sick... :puke:

Carbo should do like last year what he did with Aebishier and Huet, they made them both fight for a starting goalie spot. Now Huet knows that Price will play around 1 game out of 3, he doesn't feel his position in danger. If they make Price play more give Huet the impression that Price is taking his place, Huet will play extra good and allow less stupid mistakes.

I think Price is already being worked in as a starter. I would predict that Price's game share will consistently increase over the course of the season.

This team ######in sucks.

Atleast last year they could blame it on the flu..... what are they going to blame it on this year.

Blown out by New Jersey last night. Cough up two 3 goal leads tonight......

Atleast they're consistant. Start out flying the last 3 years, then go for a big shit December through February and then try and make a run for the playoffs in March.....

Sounds like the same pattern of about 20 to 25 other teams I know.

what did people think of the lines last night

Smolinski - Koivu - Streit was useless against a team who has no offense.

And I agree with you Davehab, they played 40 minutes of great pressure and offensive hockey and IT WORKED VERY WELL.

Now I can imagine Carbo in the locker room : "ok guys enough of offense, we now need to let them attack a lot and try to avoid goals. We did it many times against Ottawa, Toronto and Florida, we're excellent at it. Ok 4 guys motionless in the neutral zone and the other who eliminate him from the play by chasing the Dman behind the net."

###### THAT, It's BULLSHIT, we suck in this kind of hockey, FACE IT CARBO, it's the 4th time of the season we blow it.

Time for 60 minutes of real hockey aka 1rst period hockey.

Actually I'm not saying we MUST trade him - yet. But I'm tilting in that direction for several reasons. See 'Koivu slumps' where I drone on (and on) about this, if you care :rolleyes:

Not interested in your trade Koivu thread. You know everyone reads all the threads. Why do you feel the need to direct them there? Geez! Give them a direct link why don't you. :wacko: It's stupid.

Well terrible loss

1. Huet was a force for 50 minutes but fell apart again. I would start Price the next two games and let him play until he loses two in a row.

2. Smoke needs to be waived he has had about 4 good shifts the entire season I actualy hope he reitres.

3. Koivu has got to play better hockey.

4. Higgins needs to get a tape of Brett Hull and Danny Heatly and just watch an learn heck even take som pointers from Latendresse. Higgins missed at least 2 empty nets tonight.

5. Kovalev and Plekanec are just great out there workign so hard and dominating the play.

6. Markov, Komi and Hamrlik were all great.

7. Huet needs to get better at the end of games the 1st 3rd and 4th goals were all pretty terrible.

I agree with every point you've made. Small little adjustments and we are back on a winning track with team spirit in tow. Not like all these other posts that want to tear down the Bell centre and move back into the old fourm in hopes something might change.

We are going to KILL detroit on Tuesday!!!!!!! Hasek is getting the nod and he blows this year.

Smolinski - Koivu - Streit was useless against a team who has no offense.

And I agree with you Davehab, they played 40 minutes of great pressure and offensive hockey and IT WORKED VERY WELL.

Now I can imagine Carbo in the locker room : "ok guys enough of offense, we now need to let them attack a lot and try to avoid goals. We did it many times against Ottawa, Toronto and Florida, we're excellent at it. Ok 4 guys motionless in the neutral zone and the other who eliminate him from the play by chasing the Dman behind the net."

###### THAT, It's BULLSHIT, we suck in this kind of hockey, FACE IT CARBO, it's the 4th time of the season we blow it.

Time for 60 minutes of real hockey aka 1rst period hockey.

Have you ever seen when Muller or Carbo are miced up on the bench?

In the third period of games that are close where the Habs have been pressing the other team for much of the game Muller and Carbo encourage the players to not change their game I am not sure why they sit back but I believe a lot of it has to do with the players themselves.

Have you ever seen when Muller or Carbo are miced up on the bench?

In the third period of games that are close where the Habs have been pressing the other team for much of the game Muller and Carbo encourage the players to not change their game I am not sure why they sit back but I believe a lot of it has to do with the players themselves.

I can't see Kovalev and Higgins both playing by themselves outside the blue line along the boards while Plex is pushing alone behind the net.

Still trying to figure out what the hell happened. I think it was all my fault. I was in Kitchener last night. Saw the game until we were up 3-0 but had to go do a gig. Get back to the hotel and we lost! Is it my fault as I blocked the goalie? How could he see the the puck if I couldn't? Thank God I retire soon and won't miss any more games. I also missed the whole NJ game as I was in London, so that was my fault too. So sorry guys, I promise not to let the team down again.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Still trying to figure out what the hell happened. I think it was all my fault. I was in Kitchener last night. Saw the game until we were up 3-0 but had to go do a gig. Get back to the hotel and we lost! Is it my fault as I blocked the goalie? How could he see the the puck if I couldn't? Thank God I retire soon and won't miss any more games. I also missed the whole NJ game as I was in London, so that was my fault too. So sorry guys, I promise not to let the team down again.

Well Shit!!!

All this time we have been blaming the coaches and players and really it was because of you???

How dare you!

:lol:

That was quite the display last night. I travel 500KM, enjoy 53 minutes of hockey, get blasted at the game and then watch stunned as the Preds pump home 3 goals in 7 minutes. Hack Hack, cough cough. Then watch Huet stink up the shootout.

It is a good thing I was intoxicated or that would have hurt.

You really have to wonder why a coaching staff full of great defensive players cannot get this team to close out games.

Those 4 points they have given away could be the difference between 6th and 9th.

That was quite the display last night. I travel 500KM, enjoy 53 minutes of hockey, get blasted at the game and then watch stunned as the Preds pump home 3 goals in 7 minutes. Hack Hack, cough cough. Then watch Huet stink up the shootout.

It is a good thing I was intoxicated or that would have hurt.

You really have to wonder why a coaching staff full of great defensive players cannot get this team to close out games.

Those 4 points they have given away could be the difference between 6th and 9th.

Yeah, and it was Bonk to add a little salt to the wound. :puke:

Carbonneau has many tools at his disposal but switching lines around too much is a drag. It's December now - enough!

Line juggling worked for those 53 minutes but the bottom fell out in the last 7 minutes. Carbo said it was because the vets didn't hunker down more. But line juggling might have played a part in the confusion that resulted in the letdown. One minute all is well and the next your linemates aren't anticipating you (not use to your tendencies) and the same might happen with D pairings too. Carbo has to find the right combos and go with them. Beyond that, from top to bottom these guys have to get back to their winning ways.

Work harder

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Before we crap all over Huet for falling apart, I think he might have hurt himself midway through the 3rd period before the floodgates opened. I think it was a breakaway or a partial breakaway for the Preds and Huet did kind of a "splits" and was pushed back in the net somewhat. It very briefly showed his face just afterward and he looked to be grimacing. He might have pulled something.

Nice call. It looks like you nailed it on the head :clap: