Game Thread | Montreal vs. Dallas | 12/23/07

Spider-Man NL

19 games played and most nights he allows 3-4 goals (2 of which you can be sure will be really soft goals).

he was taken 5th overall...so I expect aand want a Patrick Roy/Marty Brouder type goalie.

At age 20, Brodeur was in the AHL and Roy played on a good Habs team with 2 HOF Dmen and two of the best defensive forwards of alltime.

Price's numbers arent even that bad, he had a 2.72 GAA and a .915 Save%, as a 20 year old.

What kind of numbers did you expect? As others have said he is already proven he is a capable NHL goaltender, which is phenomenal for his age. If you told me when we drafted him in 2005 that he would be in the NHL out of training camp in 2007 i would have been shocked.

So what if Spiderman thinks that Price sucks?

So F-ing what!

Why is everyone jumping on him?

The problem is he is bashing him for no apparent reason. It's one thing to say he needs to be sent down for more seasoning, but to completely write off a prospect at his age and with his non-NHL track record is downright stupid.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much knew as soon as we dumped Ribeiro he would soon meet his potential. Still cant believe the best we could do was freaking Ninimaa..

EXACTLY! That's what pisses me off the most. Montreal(the city, the fans, the media) turned Ribs into a rock-star wannabe(it went to his head) and the organization did not like that. What is the big fvc.king deal?? So what if the Kid had some personality...he had talent and we knew it...what did we get in return? A damn bag of pucks!

Mark My words...if Latendresse ever does score 30 goals before he turns 23, he'll also be turned into a star in Montreal... and unless the Habs are serious contenders by then...he'll be traded out of Montreal. I can already see it coming!

As far as Price's performance is concerned tonight....the kid was alone on the ice for the habs in the first period. He had a few very nice saves and there wasn't much he could do to stop the first two goals!

He might of left in a soft goal...but that doesn'T change anything. When the team doesn't play in front of you and can only manage to score ONE fv.cking goal. It would not have changed anything. The habs would have lost 3-1 instead of 4-1. BIG DEAL!

So the losing tradition of December 23rd continues for another year. I just hope this loss isn'T a precursor to a long losing streak like the past couple of years!

I just hope the boys will put this one behind them and pick up 4 out of 6 points in the next 3 games on this road trip!

Chances are slim that Ribeiro would ever have been this good had he stayed with the Habs. Gainey wanted to dump a "cancer" in the dressing room for a reliable veteran defenceman that could save our injury-plagued D. He admits that he didn't evaluate Niinimaa properly - he was probably expecting a second pairing defenceman. But still, I don't miss Ribeiro one bit so I don't have much of a problem with giving him away for free. IMO, the deal helped both teams (Dallas significantly and us a little bit, though at the time I'm sure everyone was delighted to see Ribs leaving).

Whoever is in charge of pro scouting at that time should be canned. Niinimaa had been in massive regression since BEFORE the lockout. His stint on Long Island was unremarkable and error-plauged after a solid set of years in Edmonton. His 2005-06 season saw him become a marginal d-man making tons of money. Tverdovsky's massive contract might've been better value, and it had 2 years on it left at the time of the Niinimaa trade.

That genius pro scout was probably the same guy who watched Samsonov the previous year and thought he was worth $3.5m a year. Sammy was coming off a poor year and an average playoff and massive injury history.

That was a very dark couple of months in player acquisitions.

Ribs was talented, homegrown, and had contributed decently even in an off year (unlike Ryder right now, Ribs still potted 45 points for us while everyone was gnashing their teeth at him in '05-06). We could've still worked with him. I never liked that deal because of the undervaluation of Ribs and the overvaluation of Niinimaa. Plus, it appeared partly influenced by poor pre-season chemistry with the Kovalev and Samsonov duo which proved ultimately to be not Ribs' fault at all.

Good for Ribs tonight. This result could be seen from 14 1/2 months away.

Is the sky falling? Nah, it's just Christmas.

Yes yes good... now add about 500 more words, call it a recap and do it after every game now, plkthx

lol If you can get the politics out of the game and the nonsense from the fans, then I'm in. Until then, my taste for the game has gone sour. Like sucking on a lemon continually.

However...

Here's a recap for you, abbreviated ACF style...

Confidence. This team lost it, Carbo has been unable to reignite it again. The talent is there, make no mistake. Montreal cannot, however, put 60 minutes of confident play together. They panic in their own end and if they gripped their sticks any harder in the attacking end, they'd turn the graphite into diamonds. This is a playoff team with all the talent in the world and a coach that can't seem to coax it out of them.

Okay, and a 'system' that needs a lot of improvement. Carbo can't adapt. He's a good coach, he's just not able to adapt from night to night. He gets out-coached.

lol If you can get the politics out of the game and the nonsense from the fans, then I'm in. Until then, my taste for the game has gone sour. Like sucking on a lemon continually.

However...

Here's a recap for you, abbreviated ACF style...

Confidence. This team lost it, Carbo has been unable to reignite it again. The talent is there, make no mistake. Montreal cannot, however, put 60 minutes of confident play together. They panic in their own end and if they gripped their sticks any harder in the attacking end, they'd turn the graphite into diamonds. This is a playoff team with all the talent in the world and a coach that can't seem to coax it out of them.

Okay, and a 'system' that needs a lot of improvement. Carbo can't adapt. He's a good coach, he's just not able to adapt from night to night. He gets out-coached.

That felt good didn't it?

Yes....more....MORE...

Kovalev reborn? The future of the Kostitsyn brothers?!? Koivu a true captain?!?!?! So many topics, so little ACF!!!

That felt good didn't it?

Yes....more....MORE...

Kovalev reborn? The future of the Kostitsyn brothers?!? Koivu a true captain?!?!?! So many topics, so little ACF!!!

Kovy checked his attitude at the door (finally) and is out playing the game he loves rather than the one he makes money at. The Kosty's have lots of potential that's being handcuffed by a system that doesn't allow for creativity - which they have in spades. Koivu is one of the two or three best captains in the league, but you'll never, ever know it because Carbo's game is not to lose, rather than to win.

As long as Ive followed this team these kinda trades have allways happened for/against us. Remember the Recchi deal? We sent Leclair AND Desjardins away for him and both of these guys went on to be superstar players for more than 10 years in the flyers not to mention we even gave up more. The Ribeiro trade isnt even close to as ugly as that one. Then we have Jonas Höglund who played some really good seasons in Toronto after we ditched him. There are more players as well, the thing is it seems that players that leave montreal seem to get alot of pressure (media etc.) off their back and can focus alot more on playing hockey and becaus of that develope into better players than they wouldve been in Montreal. Its sad but appears to be true. But I dont miss Ribeiro because I feel Plekanec is better overalleven if he lacks some of ribs offensive talent.

Ribeiro was let go because the mgmt saw Koivu as a better leader / role model for the team. At that point in his career, and with his open rivalry v. Koivu, frankly, I don't think we would have gotten much more than Ninimaa - maybe a little more serviceable d-man who would be out or almost out by now.

I may not think Koivu walks on water, like some, but if they were looking at future influence on a slew of up-and-coming youngsters, maybe they felt Ribeiro in his hometown was never really going to improve that much. Certainly the case for Koivu as general leader would have been strong. And i don't think they were willing to let go of Koivu at that point: it would have sent a terrible message to the other players, i.e. if you are hot-sh*t, you can upstage even the captain.

Anyway, yet another bad result. I think the 'education' process is going right from our younger players up to the coaching staff. If we keep limping along like this, there is no way we keep Koivu and maybe even Kovalev by season's end. Huet might be worth to try to sign-and-trade, giving a future team a bit more long-term security. Maybe sign him and move him next year - it doesn't look like Price is quite ready for #1 status yet.

We're going in a different direction.

Gainey made a firewagon type team. Carbo plays them as no-talent bozos who need to concentrate on defense.

I kind of think it's the opposite. We have a more defensive team but our players want to play an offensive style. Most of our forwards are two-way players like Higgins, Plekanec, Chipchura, Lapierre, Latendresse, etc... And then even the offensive players Kovalev, Koivu, the Kostitsyns and Ryder aren't afraid of physical play and aside for Ryder, all of them are atleast decent in the defensive zone. Sergei Kostitsyn especially has great positioning for a young player so he's fit right into our gameplan (I think he has a 4-game point streak now).

Think of what our team would look like in EHM - that's where I see us having a defensive team. Yes, we have a lot of talented offensive players but to be a firewagon team you need four lines of those. Four lines or it doesn't work. Could we put together four good offensive lines? No. But could we have four lines that are responsible defensively? Yes.

Gainey made a firewagon type team. Carbo plays them as no-talent bozos who need to concentrate on defense.

Nice to have you back.

And of course you are correct Carbo rolling four lines and playing not to loose.

GOD ITS FUN TO WATCH.

This was another game that was painful to watch. Dallas just put us to sleep, they always controlled the puck and we made enough costly mistakes to hand it to them.

It seems like last year's Habs, or at least the team playing at the end of the season, always had a chance to come back when it was down after two periods. I remember it always being 3-2 at the start of the third, and we'd either win it 4-3 or lose 5-2 or something. This year we don't seem to have that fight, at least not yet. I hope this team gels and starts playing inspired hockey like it did at the end of last season, except this time before it's too late!

Chances are slim that Ribeiro would ever have been this good had he stayed with the Habs. Gainey wanted to dump a "cancer" in the dressing room for a reliable veteran defenceman that could save our injury-plagued D. He admits that he didn't evaluate Niinimaa properly - he was probably expecting a second pairing defenceman. But still, I don't miss Ribeiro one bit so I don't have much of a problem with giving him away for free. IMO, the deal helped both teams (Dallas significantly and us a little bit, though at the time I'm sure everyone was delighted to see Ribs leaving).

No. I was pissed when Ribs was traded, i'm still pissed after last night game and I think this deal brought NOTHING to the habs, I don't even see why you say it helped us a little bit, really I see no help at all, not even in the locker room.

For one thing, Ribeiro was NEVER going to hit his potential in Montreal. That was obvious.

Then, Ribeiro was so bad in Montreal that he was actually a negative both on the ice and in the dressing room. It would almost be the equivalent of if Samsonov suddenly returns to star status and we all blame Gainey for giving him away for nothing. It was a move Gainey had to make - he had gotten rid of Theodore, he had gotten rid of Dagenais... Ribs was the last clown he had to get rid of for our team to move forward. He seems to have changed his attitude - great. He was never going to do it here. Never.

he lets in a lot of soft goals....I hope I'm wrong but I don't think hes going to be much of it.

I agree with you that he lets in too many soft goals. But he has never been the team liability in a game that we actually had a chance to win. This is why I'm not mad at him yet. My hopes are high, and there have been games where he has shown me why they are high, and other games where I have gone "Wow this kid needs more time."

I think we can all say that we have to resign Huet before the end of the year. (At this stage in Price's development that is.) At least Huet will keep us in when the team is playing bad. I don't think Price has done that once. He has made enough saves when the team is playing well, so that we could pull off a win.

But to his defense. as Wamsley stated before, Price hasn't really lost us any games yet. The team has lost them. That is why Carbo dodn't pull him yesterday. The team looked like they were hit by a train or something.

I think we can all say that we have to resign Huet before the end of the year.

I'd like to see Huet signed to a four-year deal: two with us and then, IF Price steps up and proves he's a number-one goalie....you can trade him elsewhere for the last two years of the deal. It'd be nice if we could just extend him two years, but no way in hell he'd accept that with UFA status coming. And BG needs to do it NOW; wait til the off-season and he'll get a good offer and walk.

All I can say is... Ribs' teams seem to make the playoffs every year he's on the top 2 lines. Just saying.

The 'Ribs has a negative attitude' criticism is incredibly overblown, and if it is even true, pretty much a non-factor on whatever team he plays for.