Who surprises you...

Nesquik

So far in the season which player surprised you the most? I'm gonna have to go with Dandenault. I wasn't expecting much from this guy, but he's great on the fourth line! He's everywhere on the ice, always on the puck. He surprised me this year.

For me, it's Andrei kostitsyn. he showed us bits of genious last year and early this year but he's doing it on a constant base since the end of november.

The biggest surprise has been Hamrlik. Shouldn't be with his salary, but didn't realize how solid of a d-man he is. Solidifying the back end with strong defensive play. Just a horse. With the exception of last nites turnover in OT, has been a rock, giving the Habs a great 2nd pairing. He doesn't have Sourays shot, but he is mobile, can move the puck and is a physical presence at the back end. No wonder, Calgary struggled defensively early this year, they were missing the Hammer.

Kovalev, by a mile. He went from being an exasperating goat who came to play about 10 times all of last year to our best player on the ice night after night. He's winning back my heart, he was so careless with it... :mellow:

yup. Same for me. I was ready to trade him for a bag of pucks this summer to anyone who would take him, and now he's playing great.

yup. Same for me. I was ready to trade him for a bag of pucks this summer to anyone who would take him, and now he's playing great.

you trade when the value is up !! I wouldn't but surprised if kovy was traded at the deadline. yet I wouldn't be surprised if we kept him.

you trade when the value is up !! I wouldn't but surprised if kovy was traded at the deadline. yet I wouldn't be surprised if we kept him.

I know, I know, but I was just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad at him. I felt like we just needed to get rid of him no matter what, sort of like Samsonov. Glad he's here this year and I'm not Bob Gainey.

Kovalev and Sergei K.

Kovalev speaks for itself. But i couldnt have dreamed that Sergei would be such a good fit on the first line and he got that line rolling again...I think he's really mature. A scorer, and doesnt get tumbled around like a young teenager. He stands his ground! I love that!

Have to agree with Dutchie on this one. AK27, off course, and little sergeahiaieha kostitsyn. Really impressed with the play off the rookie. A nice surprise.

No major surprises for me... I expected a good young team and that's what I got... a tad inconsistent at times but no major lapses. My only minor surprise is the fact that they're finally playing the young guys. For too many years, Montreal has wasted players talents in the minors until they soured.

I know some here will question this but I take Gorges. He's showing to be better than I thought he was.

On another note. When Smoke and Begin return I HOPE that Siarhei DOES NOT get demoted. What is the staff going to do with the logjam?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I'm not floored by the resurgence of Kovalev. Pleasantly surprised, but not stunned. Players DO have bad seasons. It happens. And he was always inconsistent. You don't flush a veteran guy like that down the crapper because he had one bad season out of two.

What I am surprised about is Hamrlik's game. It's not that he's a quality D-man - we knew that - but a lot of the scuttlebutt was that he was a Souray-like guy, with a great shot but slightly dodgy in his own end. Instead, he turns out to be the man who single-handedly stabilized our back end while providing below-the-radar offence, not so much as a PP QB but as a player who can drive the turnover from defence to offence with calm efficiency. With characteristic subtlety Gainey addressed the team's longstanding need for a #2 defenceman. We're now officially one big player away from breaking through - that #1A C we've needed for nearly as long as we needed a Hamrlik.

I'm not floored by the resurgence of Kovalev. Pleasantly surprised, but not stunned. Players DO have bad seasons. It happens. And he was always inconsistent. You don't flush a veteran guy like that down the crapper because he had one bad season out of two.

What I am surprised about is Hamrlik's game. It's not that he's a quality D-man - we knew that - but a lot of the scuttlebutt was that he was a Souray-like guy, with a great shot but slightly dodgy in his own end. Instead, he turns out to be the man who single-handedly stabilized our back end while providing below-the-radar offence, not so much as a PP QB but as a player who can drive the turnover from defence to offence with calm efficiency. With characteristic subtlety Gainey addressed the team's longstanding need for a #2 defenceman. We're now officially one big player away from breaking through - that #1A C we've needed for nearly as long as we needed a Hamrlik.

That #1A C, everybody wants that, I think the only way we get it is signing a UFA.

I doubt we trade for it, it'll cost to much.

So, you like Hamrlik, so do I. I like Kovalev, both the Kost brothers. I like Gorges, although I think

he needs to gain 10lbs.

I like most of your posts, you guys seen to know your stuff. And, its a pleasure to read knowledge

posts. But, I have my opinion, I hope that adds to this group. :clap:

1. Kovalev I bashed him all last year and this year he has showed up most nights and in all 3 zones, physical too.

2. The rookies

3. Gorges

I knew that hamrlik was going to be solid, tough and calming in the back end. He's been like that the last 4-5 years.

I'd have to go with Hamrlik, Kovalev and Plekanec. Plekanec was good last year but i did not expect him to be one of the best habs this season. Hamrlik has fit in fine with the Habs D and Kovalev is leading the Habs in points which i did not expect.

Another name is Komi since he continues to get even better.

Has to be Kovalev.

Dandenault could not impress me unless he starting playing defense again and played like he did against the Canes in the playoffs 2 years ago. His 1.75 mil contract is not something that the Habs should be paying for a hard working 4th liner.

I am very suprised by the play of Kovy, I thought he was terrible last year, I thought he had given up. Now I realize that he is just top proud to be mediocre, I dare say he looked good with the C on his shoulder last night.

I am also very pleased with the play of Markov... he is showing that he's worth the raise....

I'm not so much suprised but I'm glad that A. Kostitsyn is finally starting to show his talent ... he's becoming a consistant threat every night. He's growing more and more confident in his abilities and making plays almost every shift. I think if he keeps growing at the rate he is this season he could turn into a Marian Hossa type player.

Also Ryder susprises me ... What happened to the guy ? I don't think anyone in the beginning of the season thought he'd struggle this bad.

S Kost.. I was surprised by that call up but I have been very pleasantly surprised so far. Keep it up young guy!

Also I'm very pleased by Kovy. I expected another season like the last from him but WOW he really kick butts this year.

Dandenault the best surprise ??

Let's just say that he has worked hardf to stay in the line up

and he is a good veteran presence.

Our PK is one of the worst when he is on.

He shot once in the last 9 games.

He doesn't hit anymore.

We pay a lot of money for 4th line checker.

For me the best surprise is that they let the rookie play when they deserved to and

since most of them deserve to play all the time so they do.