Game Thread | Habs vs. Devils | 24/01/08

Cataclaw

Wow, what a 3rd period. To comeback from a 2-goal deficit and outshoot the Devils 20-3. Love to see Saku and Higgy contribute. You could see Smokes goal in the first minute of the period gave the boys some spark. Kostits hit the post right after and they were finally skating. Skating creates chances and forced the Devils to take some penalties. Great win heading into the all-star break. Held the Devils to only 13 shots. Definitely did not half to rely on Huet.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd best record in the East, just 6 pts behind Ottawa... Far far away from the 13th place Hockey News predicted...

We're a buyer at the deadline?

Plenty of spareable kids to give: Locke, Milroy, Danis, D'Agostini, Chipchura, Halak or Price, etc.

Why trade those 3? I think where we are placing this season, our 1st is worth less than any of those 3. So package "extra" young forwards, Danis, 1st this and even next as we will place higher again next year. Halak if needed, maybe, not Price, We want him to be here in his mid twenties in my opinion. Sign Huet for 3-4 if Price blossoms earlier than he should, you trade Huet, he will still be good, until he gets injured a few times, then age will catch up.Until then Price is your top prospect, AHL starter. You need Halak on the bench for backup or we would need to get a new backup. We have nobody ready for the job.

Rank                   GP      W      L             OT      Pts      GF      GA      
      1     Detroit Red Wings     51     37     10           4     78     174     110 
      2     Ottawa Senators       50     31     15           4     66     174     145 
      3     Dallas Stars          52     28     19           5     61     153     136 
      4     Montréal Canadiens    49     26     15           8     60     154     136  
      5     Anaheim Ducks         52     27     19           6     60     134     134 
      6     New Jersey Devils     49     28     18           3     59     125     115 
      7     San Jose Sharks       48     26     15           7     59     125     118 
      8     Pittsburgh Penguins  49     27     18           4     58     143     133

4th in the League.

Come on! When's the last time that happened at the All-Star Break?!

Edited by KoZed

Rank                   GP      W      L             OT      Pts      GF      GA      
      1     Detroit Red Wings     51     37     10           4     78     174     110 
      2     Ottawa Senators       50     31     15           4     66     174     145 
      3     Dallas Stars          52     28     19           5     61     153     136 
      4     Montréal Canadiens    49     26     15           8     60     154     136  
      5     Anaheim Ducks         52     27     19           6     60     134     134 
      6     New Jersey Devils     49     28     18           3     59     125     115 
      7     San Jose Sharks       48     26     15           7     59     125     118 
      8     Pittsburgh Penguins  49     27     18           4     58     143     133

4th in the League.

Come on! When's the last time that happened at the All-Star Break?!

Nice sig, KoZed. :P

WOOHOO!! What a win by the Boys!!

I especially LOVE the way the Habs came back from a 2 goal deficit in the 3rd period, and not against some cheap team, it was against the Best goalie in the League!

I seriously think that this win is the turning point of the season!

Nice to see Saku and Higgins get the all important game tying and game winning goals! Hopefully this win streak will continue for a little while longer. WE can catch teh Hens, especially considering that Heatly is injured!

All in all, i think the third period tonight was the BEST period of Hockey the Habs played this season.

Well deserved win and nice to see them get this damn monkey off of their back!!!

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Habsfan

HERE HERE Fellas...What a 3rd period. They wanted it from the start.

We should all be very happy about our Habs tonight. They truly showed what they could do, and exercised some demons.

I think most of us knew they could do it., and they did. I think the best thing is that we seemed to let down a bit after a big win (like on tuesday), but we kept the pedal down and very much so in the 3rd.

I think this was our best game of the year in a lot of ways. Certainly feels like our biggest win to me.

Let's enjoy the break and look forward to OTTAWA next week...can't wait! :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

I think Carbo owes his players a BIG thank you. The Bench penalty Carbo took in the second was bad. I can understand that he was frustrated that the Ref put the habs dow 5 to 3 for 1:30, but to take a bench minor...

Anyways, like I said, Carbo owes the players a HUGE Thank you!

I'm going to sleep well tonight! I'm a happy camper (who by the way spent alot of time in the bathroom tonight!! ;);):D )

Edited by Habsfan

Man they are lucky that game wasn't a home game for the habs, I highly doubt the Bell centre would still be standing if it had been. :blink:

I feel sorry for my house if we pull off a win like that at home. Being a road game I didn't give up hope tonight, although Huet had me really worried all night.

It wasn't the Christo I like to see. We could easily have been too far behind after 2 if not for posts and missed nets.I like the guy that plays shut out hockey and gives up a single freebie with a miss played clearing attempt (hate the one who gives up 2 or 3). Played okay mind you, just not his best. Think what his GAA would be taking back those miss played pucks. If he ever learns to stick handle he will be "Elite" in everyones eyes. 4 years 16.4 million. Get it done. I want him here until Price is Right.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Interesting note about January 2008:

To date, Habs have won every game on tuesday and thursday and lost every saturday game (this month)

Here is the breakdown:

Week 1:

Tue (1) - No game

Thu (3) - WIN

Sat (5) - Loss ot

Week 2:

Tue (8) - WIN

Thu (10) - WIN

Sat (12) - Loss

Week 3:

Tue (15) - WIN

Thu (17) - WIN

Sat (19) - Loss

Week 4:

Tue (22) - WIN

Thu (24) - WIN

Sat (26) - All-star game = no game!

Then back to a tuesday, when Habs play well :P

I think Carbo owes his players a BIG thank you. The Bench penalty Carbo took in the second was bad. I can understand that he was frustrated that the Ref put the habs dow 5 to 3 for 1:30, but to take a bench minor...

Anyways, like I said, Carbo owes the players a HUGE Thank you!

I'm going to sleep well tonight! I'm a happy camper (who by the way spent alot of time in the bathroom tonight!! ;);):D )

frankly, with the benefit of hindsight, Im glad carbo lost it. his players were playing flacid hockey, and the refs needed a wake up call. easy to say after they killed the ensuing 5 on 3, but they were down by 2 goals in jersey - why not take a chance?

i dont think carbo is getting the kudos he deserves. young team, struggling (former) top line, etc.... coaches are doing a damn fine job.

frankly, with the benefit of hindsight, Im glad carbo lost it. his players were playing flacid hockey, and the refs needed a wake up call. easy to say after they killed the ensuing 5 on 3, but they were down by 2 goals in jersey - why not take a chance?

i dont think carbo is getting the kudos he deserves. young team, struggling (former) top line, etc.... coaches are doing a damn fine job.

....and you guys should have heard sutter in the post game press conference. He was PISSED with his players.

....and you guys should have heard sutter in the post game press conference. He was PISSED with his players.

Should be too, they spent half the 3rd period in the box on dumb penalties. Trying to kill a constant stream of penalties wears down any team and lets the other one seize the game.

Poor little Gionta at the end, was rushing full speed to to be the hero, gotta admire his guts, he wasn't even trying to dodge the hit, I guess he thought he could get through Komisarek by sheer force of will.

Edited by Dirty Harry

I feel sorry for my house if we pull off a win like that at home. Being a road game I didn't give up hope tonight, although Huet had me really worried all night.

It wasn't the Christo I like to see. We could easily have been too far behind after 2 if not for posts and missed nets.I like the guy that plays shut out hockey and gives up a single freebie with a miss played clearing attempt (hate the one who gives up 2 or 3). Played okay mind you, just not his best. Think what his GAA would be taking back those miss played pucks. If he ever learns to stick handle he will be "Elite" in everyones eyes. 4 years 16.4 million. Get it done. I want him here until Price is Right.

Very true, tonight he was not at the top of his game, had they allowed more than 3 shots in the 3rd we probably would have lost. I was also worried in the Bruins game because it seems like when one team scores alot the other goalie lets in alot aswell.

Should Halak been in? Who knows, we won and New Jersy ate it. We really need to lock up Huet I don't want to go into next season with Price/Halak that would worry me.

Funny I should have known this sucker was in the bag. I dug out my old Theodore jersey

from the garage because he was the last guy to beat them in NJ.

Just one more superstition to add to the mix. :clap:

Edited by Wamsley01

What was so bad about Huet? I don't remember what happened on the first goal, but he had no chance on the others. On the 2nd the defence totally blew the coverage on Elias who blew a one timer cross ice pass past him. On the third goal it was 5 on 3, the forwards had to let langenbrunner advance halfway through the zone, and the D couldn't clear Elias' screen (cuz that woulda left the other guy camping the post wide open), Huet couldn't see anything and shot was pretty good.

What was so bad about Huet? I don't remember what happened on the first goal, but he had no chance on the others. On the 2nd the defence totally blew the coverage on Elias who blew a one timer cross ice pass past him. On the third goal it was 5 on 3, the forwards had to let langenbrunner advance halfway through the zone, and the D couldn't clear Elias' screen (cuz that woulda left the other guy camping the post wide open), Huet couldn't see anything and shot was pretty good.

I thought Huet was brutal!!

Actually, I am just ######ing with Brobin. He had no chance on any of those.

Awesome, awesome game. My fist-pumping was violent and angry after our fourth goal.

First two periods it was the same story, we have one line creating the odd chance but the others were nowhere to be seen. I was ready to punch Koivu in the face through the TV. Then the two LONG 5 on 3s, we got a little unlucky there but to hold them to one goal, I knew down by only two goals we had a chance to come back. And when we scored that goal right of the bat we were in the game, and controlling it. Especially great performances from the Boobs brothers, Markov, Plex, Komi, and yeah, even Smo. Huet did a good job too, I can't really blame him for the goals and he made a few key stops.

We did, however, get kind of lucky. On the first goal Kovalev did a slew foot to trip the Devils player that allowed Big Jubblies to take the puck (and what a sweet job of it he did to control it and fire that pass). And the Koivu goal was a high stick, I was surprised (happy of course) that they didn't overrule it. There was no way his stick was at 4 feet, no matter if he was hunched over and all. Plus, the camera angle gave it away; the angle that they used was from a camera that is well above ice level, and Koivu's stick in the foreground should have appeared to be lower than the crossbar in the background if they were at the same height. But instead they appeared to be pretty close to the same level on screen. We all would have been pissed if that was a decisive goal against us.

He was not Brutal but he was not any good either.

Really?

1. Elias pinpoint roof job

2. Cross ice empty net tapper

3. 35 Foot slapshot 5 on 3 screen

I am not a huge Huet fan but damn I cannot rationalize a poor performance out of that.

And so the Rafalskiless-Stevensless and Niedermayerless Devil's finally succumb to the Habs.

This is definitely a good sign. The Habs are strong and confident. We are moving forward. We just won a game we usually would lose. Ottawa won too but that was a given over TB anyway. The Sens will have tougher challenges ahead. We accomplished a better long term result than the Sens did tonight. I smell possible division champagne - Especially given the fact that Ottawa's slumps have been extreme. The Sens seem to be Jekyll and Hyde in their patterns of slumps and gains. The Habs might just catch them with their pants down in one of those slumps. :)