Game Thread | Habs vs. Devils | 24/01/08

Cataclaw

Really?

1. Elias pinpoint roof job

2. Cross ice empty net tapper

3. 35 Foot slapshot 5 on 3 screen

I am not a huge Huet fan but damn I cannot rationalize a poor performance out of that.

I just said he was not good he did not make 1 big save.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just said he was not good he did not make 1 big save.

Didn't need to though. I don't think we can fault him for not having an opportunity to make a big save.

I realize that some goalies do make huge saves, but I don't know if anybody stops that Elias shot

or the empty netter. Maybe somebody gets lucky and that 5 on 3 blast hits them. That's about it though.

It wasn't much of a save but he managed to be sitting in the right place when the puck was bouncing around in front of him with 6 players right there, on some Devils powerplay. Also, his save on the Madden shorthanded break was solid, not big but he handled it well. He played well, the goals were not his fault.

Our penalty killing was good tonight too. I love Lapierre in the offense zone shorthanded, he always manages to kill some extra time or create something. This season we've had a tendency to kill off the first 80 seconds of a penalty really strongly and then the other team scores at the end. We held them off tonight.

I think Carbo owes his players a BIG thank you. The Bench penalty Carbo took in the second was bad. I can understand that he was frustrated that the Ref put the habs dow 5 to 3 for 1:30, but to take a bench minor...

Anyways, like I said, Carbo owes the players a HUGE Thank you!

The bench penalty was a player's, not Carbo's...

Well,

I hope this a sign of things to come. Kovy was brilliant as usual. We got some secondary scoring from Smoke. Higgy broke a slump, as did Koivu. The first time that line has outscored the Plex line in a while.

But more importantly, the team showed character. They played with patience even when the odds were against them with bad calls by the refs. They fought all game to stay in it, and dominated the third with great force.

I believe that the New Jersey dominance over Habs is mostly mental, as is our dominance over Boston. You feel beat before you start. I have been there. Keep it up boys!! :clap::clap:

Again, I come to read the thread in it's entirety after a game. Lot's of Koivu (and his line) bashing. What happens? They tie and win the game. In Koivu I trust. Always.

After RYDER GOT YANKED OFF THE LINE.

Great comeback tonight!!.........We got behind because we were trying to "out-trap" the Devils, the magna cum laude of the trap theory...........We came back because our "D" finally started pinching in and our forwards started hitting their defencemen to free up the puck to create chances and draw penalties......

I especially liked how Kovy managed to absorb the hit he was taking against the NJ defender thus creating the open ice for Kosty to give it to Smolinski for the 1st goal. The other defender for NJ rushed Kosty and the Devil's D plan got caught. Nice play Kovalev :clap:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I was thinking all day yesterday, how can we beat the Devil/s?

I compared teams, they had an elite goalie, an below average D

and a decent forward group that pounces on mistakes.

I was thinking this is an elite defensive team, second only to the

Wings. And, its going to trap the hell out of us.

How do you beat a team like that??

Then I thought about what we got. The makings of a Elite offensive

team. We need to attack them..attack,attack,attack...toujours attack

was the mantra that was consuming my thoughts.

After the first 2 periods I thought we were dead, then I saw us go into

blitz mode, it was a sight for sore eyes.

Slowinski ain't that bad.

And, for all those that thought Koivu was finished..Well SAK-YOU !!!!

I was thinking all day yesterday, how can we beat the Devil/s?

I compared teams, they had an elite goalie, an below average D

and a decent forward group that pounces on mistakes.

I was thinking this is an elite defensive team, second only to the

Wings. And, its going to trap the hell out of us.

How do you beat a team like that??

Then I thought about what we got. The makings of a Elite offensive

team. We need to attack them..attack,attack,attack...toujours attack

was the mantra that was consuming my thoughts.

After the first 2 periods I thought we were dead, then I saw us go into

blitz mode, it was a sight for sore eyes.

Slowinski ain't that bad.

And, for all those that thought Koivu was finished..Well SAK-YOU !!!!

Attack attack attack, yes - bring back the 70's!

Wow, what a result. Just saw it now. Swore for a few minutes that my eyes were shot, and walked away from the computer for a ten-minute reality check.

Balanced scoring as well. Great, things looking up. Even Smoked contributing?

A break, then Go Habs! I'll hope for either 1st place, or 6th so we get the South's 'finest'! Of course, the pessimist in me says...ah, screw him, he can take a few weeks off!

I missed the first period because I thought it was a 7:30 game so I tuned in at 7:40 when the puck would drop and it was intermission :angry:

From the two periods I did see I was really happy. I think Smoke has finally found his place on this team. This is two games in a row with Begin and Kostopolous where he was creating chances and even scoring goals.

Koivu has played better the last two games and last night he showed some jump and drive. We haven't seen that for a while. Hopefully he will be a beast for the rest of the season.

The Kostitsyns are so much fun to watch. These guys are going to be gems for us for years to come. They are not only talented but they have some fire and don't shy away from getting dirty.

I love Gorges. He makes mistakes but the guy is balls to the wall out there. I hope he stays with the Habs and gets regular ice time.

We beat Jersey! :clap: :hlogo: :clap:

The bench penalty was a player's, not Carbo's...

I'm not so sure about that KoZeD?! The Penalty was a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct. You could clearly see Carbo and the ref going at it on RDS.

In any case, whom ever took that penalty made a mistake and if it was one of the coaches(Muller or Carbo) they owe the players a huge thank you!

Like I said last night, this win will be the turning point of the season for the Habs. They have proven that they can beat the better teams in the league, now they just have to do it on a consistent basis.

This win is even sweeter this morning. When the boys fell 3 to 1 in the second period, I was sure we were done for, but then Smokes scores a goal 30 seconds into the third to give us some hope! Like I said, this was probably the best period(the 3rd period) of Hockey the Habs have played in over a year.

As far as huet's performance is concerned, that Patrick Elias Shot was perfect. Top corner from about 22 feet out. I don't think human reflexes are fast enough to stop that kind of Shot. Not much Huet could've done on the second goal, a cross-ice tap in goal.

The Only goal that could have been stopped was the 3rd Jersey goal, but then again. The habs were down 2 men, and Markov and Saku backed away from Langenbrunner soo much, that by the time he took his shot, he was 20 - 25 feet out. Let's not forget that there was alot of traffic in front of Huet. He NEVER saw the shot. Had he been extremely lucky, he might have stuck the pad out.

IN the end, Huet might have let in 3 goals on 13 shots, but he is definitely not to blame for those goals.

Edited by Habsfan

I disagree about the bench penalty being stupid no matter who got it, coaches or whoever. The team was getting blasted by that point of the game, they were playing scared, soft and not skating. What that penalty did was wake up the bench and the team, the penalties were questionable, so someone bitching about those was fine. The habs were down 3-1 at that point so the message was it's the devils and the refs against the habs. In the players eyes.

I suspect GC wen't in and gave them it's us against the world so go out and take it. To there credit the players showed up for a dominating third and got them 2 points.

When the hbas skate, play hard and physical, they are pretty tough to beat. I thought they were sleep walking the first half of the game waiting for soemthing bad to happen.

The current lineup up is pretty solidd being able to role 4 lines. Ryder just needs to get moved, he is struggling mightily and i see no end to it. So the habs need to figure out who should play in the Ryder spot. A trade or from the farm. D'Agastini maybe. I don't know anything about him.

So overall great win, they need to keep it rolling after the break.

I'm not so sure about that KoZeD?! The Penalty was a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct. You could clearly see Carbo and the ref going at it on RDS.

In any case, whom ever took that penalty made a mistake and if it was one of the coaches(Muller or Carbo) they owe the players a huge thank you!

The bench penalty happened right after NJ scored on a 5-on-3. In the post-game conference, Carbo said that the player on the bench who abused the official did it because he thought the penalty Begin received (that lead to the 5-on-3 Langenbrunner's goal) was BS. Carbo talked to the ref to defend his player.

The bench penalty happened right after NJ scored on a 5-on-3. In the post-game conference, Carbo said that the player on the bench who abused the official did it because he thought the penalty Begin received (that lead to the 5-on-3 Langenbrunner's goal) was BS. Carbo talked to the ref to defend his player.

Cool. All right then, whom ever made the comments owes his team mates a big thank you, cause had the Devisl scored another goal on the second 5 on 3 PP, then it would have been game over!