Game Thread | Habs vs. Capitals | 31/01/08

Cataclaw

This just in: after Bouillon nailed Ovechkin, he broke his nose.

That's right folks, Ovie played half the game with a broken nose.

How can you not like him?

I think he is the best player in the league. He just keeps coming at all times and it is impossible to take your eyes off him when he is on the ice.

Great comeback tonight. You have to love it when almost all your points come from the kiddie corp.

Lets keep the momentum going on the weekend and sweep NY.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely stole a point tonite. Ovechkin and the Caps came to play tonite. Took awhile for the Habs to get going, but they made the most of their scoring chances. The Young Guns on the Habs really stepped it up tonite. Last with 2 goals and a helper, S.Kostits with 1 and 1, A. Kostits with a goal, Pleks with 2 helpers. Laps with solid work in the corners. A tough nite for Markov and Komi. And the Koivu line pretty much non-existent. Higgins doesn't seem to have the jump from earlier in the season and Ryder is just plain terrbile and is losing his icetime to the youngsters. When the team had less talent, Ryder got lotsa PP time and scored lots there. Now that the Habs are getting better and the teams overall talent level is increasing some players are getting passed on the depth chart, and there is no better example than Ryder. He has just got to go and the team will be better for it.

Another night where the pairing of Bouillon and Gorges aren't scored on again. Props to them. At this point, there is no need add Breezer to the lineup.

Hoping for a couple of wins on this upcoming Superbowl weekend.

Habs now have the second fewest losses in the League with 15 (Detroit only 10) This team has been very good at getting as many points as possible this season and will catch Ottawa.

It's a shame we can't play them now while they are injured and take over top spot :)

Habs now have the second fewest losses in the League with 15 (Detroit only 10) This team has been very good at getting as many points as possible this season and will catch Ottawa.

It's a shame we can't play them now while they are injured and take over top spot :)

We play them 5 times; twice next week, twice in March and once in the last week of the season. If things keep unfolding as they are, that last game could be interesting.

Definitely stole a point tonite. Ovechkin and the Caps came to play tonite. Took awhile for the Habs to get going, but they made the most of their scoring chances. The Young Guns on the Habs really stepped it up tonite. Last with 2 goals and a helper, S.Kostits with 1 and 1, A. Kostits with a goal, Pleks with 2 helpers. Laps with solid work in the corners. A tough nite for Markov and Komi. And the Koivu line pretty much non-existent. Higgins doesn't seem to have the jump from earlier in the season and Ryder is just plain terrbile and is losing his icetime to the youngsters. When the team had less talent, Ryder got lotsa PP time and scored lots there. Now that the Habs are getting better and the teams overall talent level is increasing some players are getting passed on the depth chart, and there is no better example than Ryder. He has just got to go and the team will be better for it.

Another night where the pairing of Bouillon and Gorges aren't scored on again. Props to them. At this point, there is no need add Breezer to the lineup.

Hoping for a couple of wins on this upcoming Superbowl weekend.

I think when Brisebois is healed he will replace Streit on the blueline. Streit will move to third line wing and little Kostitsyn will replace Ryder on the first line. Ryder will be traded or benched.

How can anyone not love Ovechkin? He does everything and does it well. He was throwing some serious body checks last night, skating, scoring, working, digging in the corner for the puck and all with a freshly broken nose.

Alex Ovechkin is definitely the Hart trophy winner.

I said at the start that Ovechkin was going to kill us tonight. He had that look on his face and the talent to back it up.

I also noticed that the caps are a much bigger team and they used it well tonight to win the battles. Our counter to that is speed, but for most of the night it wasn't there.

I would not want to face them in the first round with Ovechkin getting his first taste of playoff action.

Obviously like the rest of you it was lucky they got a point. Especially playing about 5 good minutes of hockey. Good thing the KLL line came to play. I think it's safe to say the Koivu line is basically a 4th line right now. They played most of the night against Brasher's line and they got dominated, they need to give there head a shake.

Why are people bashing GC, Smoke and Begin. Markov and Komi were out on the ice for 4 goals i beleive. The were completely dominated. They need to bounce back.

I expect you'll see Halak Saturday, the team needs a good game and bounce back. How come Huet didn't get sent down after giving up 5 to the caps?

Anyway, i fully expect GC to blast them for that effort and i beleive thye should be able to get 3 out 4 points out of the weekend. They seem to stink against the Rangers for whatever reason.

I expect you'll see Halak Saturday, the team needs a good game and bounce back. How come Huet didn't get sent down after giving up 5 to the caps?

I'll assume you're just being cocky, but Huet has been balls to the walls for the last 10 starts. Most of the goals last night he was beat fair and square. Hard to stop those Ovechkin bullets.

Price was shaky for weeks leading up to Washington and the 5 he let in were pretty brutal........I agree with Halak playing soon. I hope he is ready.

Lucky we have a team that can still play-even when the Saks line is down and out. We need to move Ryder and bring someone in to energize that line. I thought Saks had a pretty good game. I'm more concerned about Higgins headspace, and how much Ryder is hurting this team.

Thank god for Kovalev and the T1TTies this year to hold the fort while others are down.

Komi and Markov were average and you can't be average against Ovechkin, especially when he's pissed and on a mission.

Did anyone notice during the second Washington goal and a few other times during the play and ONLY during the play in our end that stupid piercing horn going off. It was HORN-the crowd cheers-HORN the crowd cheers-HORN- the crowd cheers. I've never seen that in any game in my entire life during the game.

It is a huge distraction set-up by the venue and not by the crowd itself. Is that allowed? It seemed very odd to me.

This just in: after Bouillon nailed Ovechkin, he broke his nose.

That's right folks, Ovie played half the game with a broken nose.

How can you not like him?

I had no idea the hit was tht brutal. I noticed that Ovechkin had broken his nose after the game on Sportscentre.

I'd Kill to get a guy like Ovechkin with the Habs!

Are you serious. I hadn't noticed. If it is the Case I have to say that Gorges is playing better and better every game.

I don't thikn Brisebois needs to come back, but Carbo has always said that he doesn,t like to keep any player inactive for long periods of time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dandy and Breezer back in the line up on Saturday(even though I don,t think they should play!)

I think when Brisebois is healed he will replace Streit on the blueline. Streit will move to third line wing and little Kostitsyn will replace Ryder on the first line. Ryder will be traded or benched.

Why break up something good? The Kid line is just starting to gel. It's a perfect line! You have a defensive minded shit disturber, A Power Forward who can score and a fast, play making guy who can do everything! The best thing is that their average age is about 21 years old!

I agree that Ryder needs to be benched, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Breezer and Dandy come back this week-end. My guess is that the Lines might look something like this!

1st line: 46-14-27

2nd line: 21-11-32

3rd line: 84-40-74

4th line: 22-20-25

Defence

79 - 8

71 - 44

51 - 26

It sucks for Kostopoulos, but a day of rest might do his body some good. Maybe instead of Kostopoulos, it could be Bégin who'll get a day of rest!? Both these guys play a "crash and bang" style of hockey that can be very rough on their bodies!

Edited by Habsfan

It was an exciting game, and we got outplayed badly. It was mainly our defense that let us down, Hamrlik and Komisarek both had a very poor game. On the first Caps goal it was an ill-advised pass by Komi or Markov that kept the puck in the zone. And for most of Ovechkin's goals we managed to forget that the league's leading goal-scorer is on the ice. Can't really fault Huet for those goals.

Like someone else said, the Koivu line is establishing itself as the fourth line. It's pitiful. And it wasn't Saku's fault this game, he came to play and was actually creating stuff. Higgins was weak and invisible, and Ryder was as usual the worst player on our team, falling down more than Koivu on a windy day. He deserved to get benched, and he shouldn't be in the lineup on Saturday. Dandenault on that wing gets much more done. I say put Dandy there because I wouldn't want to break up the kid line after the game they played. I was happy to see Lats finally pot a couple, and him and lil Kost made some sweet passes on those two goals. It was great to see our youth step it up on a down day for our top guys and eek out a point.

Kovy was just trying to do too much out there, you can't fault him for effort but his decision-making often ended up with the puck being coughed up. Ah well, we got a point and it's on to New York where I hope we rebound and come out strong. I'll be looking forward to what Carbo will be wearing as an encore to his spiffy grey suit last night, he could have been in a Bond film.

Why break up something good? The Kid line is just starting to gel. It's a perfect line! You have a defensive minded shit disturber, A Power Forward who can score and a fast, play making guy who can do everything! The best thing is that their average age is about 21 years old!

I agree that Ryder needs to be benched, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Breezer and Dandy come back this week-end. My guess is that the Lines might look something like this!

:lol: You are definitely the most excited guy on this board.

Did anyone notice during the second Washington goal and a few other times during the play and ONLY during the play in our end that stupid piercing horn going off. It was HORN-the crowd cheers-HORN the crowd cheers-HORN- the crowd cheers. I've never seen that in any game in my entire life during the game.

It is a huge distraction set-up by the venue and not by the crowd itself. Is that allowed? It seemed very odd to me.

Am I crazy? Nobody noticed this? Anybody tape the game?

we faced an upset team, wiht an even more upset Superstar, they won, we sneaked a point with character, GREAT game for the fans.

ps. BOUILLON on Ovechkin !!!!!!

Edit : yes i noticed the horn, i was like "kick this guy out of the arena"

Anybody think that if Crosby gets hit like that he just gets up, doesn't say a thing and scores a couple more goals?

More like, stays down for a minute, gets up and yaps at Bouillion, yaps at the referee followed by Laraque running around trying to kill a bunch of Habs for the rest of the game.

Sound right?

That is just one of the reasons I would rather have Ovechkin

Anybody think that if Crosby gets hit like that he just gets up, doesn't say a thing and scores a couple more goals?

More like, stays down for a minute, gets up and yaps at Bouillion, yaps at the referee followed by Laraque running around trying to kill a bunch of Habs for the rest of the game.

Sound right?

That is just one of the reasons I would rather have Ovechkin

I'm with you Wamsley. I for one have always hated Crosby and I always will. I hope he never , ever becomes a habs. Ovechkin? I love the guy. It's a shame he will never wear a Montreal Jersey. You can add Lecavlier to the Ovechkin list. Love that guy too. There is a tiny little window open for him to wear our sweater though, even if it's a window only in my mind I will continue to hope.

Anyone hear that washington player comments before the game started when asked about playing the habs. Not sure who it was but he said something like " The team is so fast. Their passes are hard, fast, crisp, tape to tape and they read each other on the ice really well. Probably the best I've seen in the league so far."

I sure enjoyed hearing that. It's been a while since we've had respect from other teams.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Anyone notice when you write habs in the posts it makes it plural with an s even if you don't write it. I hope he never becomes a habs with an S just seems wrong to me.

Let's see if it does it now. Don't mind me I'm bored.

Anyone notice when you write habs in the posts it makes it plural with an s even if you don't write it. I hope he never becomes a habs with an S just seems wrong to me.

Let's see if it does it now. Don't mind me I'm bored.

SEE! I actually wrote H-A-B. What is up with that?

Am I crazy? Nobody noticed this? Anybody tape the game?

I've noticed it for a long time now (every game at Washington is the same..)

It seems like it's a fan (or several fans) that bring horns. I don't think it's the arena's horn; it would be much louder.

In any case, it's stupid, distracting, annoying, it should stop.

Edited by Cataclaw

I'm with you Wamsley. I for one have always hated Crosby and I always will. I hope he never , ever becomes a habs. Ovechkin? I love the guy. It's a shame he will never wear a Montreal Jersey. You can add Lecavlier to the Ovechkin list. Love that guy too. There is a tiny little window open for him to wear our sweater though, even if it's a window only in my mind I will continue to hope.

Anyone hear that washington player comments before the game started when asked about playing the habs. Not sure who it was but he said something like " The team is so fast. Their passes are hard, fast, crisp, tape to tape and they read each other on the ice really well. Probably the best I've seen in the league so far."

I sure enjoyed hearing that. It's been a while since we've had respect from other teams.

I don't hate Crosby, but I just think he has been annointed the best player in the league before earning it.

Ovechkin's fire is impossible to ignore. Usually when somebody says they compare his fire to the Rocket's I get defensive.

But damn, this kid is unreal. He breaks his nose and says ###### you I am going to bury you. That has Rocket Richard written all over it.

(before anybody gets all excited, I am comparing attitude, not ability. Not yet, anyway)

He doesn't care if you broke his nose!! He is not looking for the ref to help him, his teammates etc.

Crosby is a prima donna right now. In the same circumstance there is no way he pots 2 more goals.

Until he stops believing his own hype, he will never reach that level.

Edited by Wamsley01