Game Thread | Habs vs. Islanders | 02/02/08

Cataclaw

I was very happy with today's game. Koivu showed up to play again today...let's hope it's the beginning of a trend. Ryder, tho still snakebitten, worked hard and drew a couple of penalties as a result...so that's encouraging. Big Titz/Plex/Kovy were great as usual. Aside from Brisebois' gaffe, or Dmen played a solid game too...more of the same tomorrow I hope. Ottawa is definitely in reach...gotta take advantage now while they have injuries to deal with!

Yeah, I was most impressed by the Koivu line. Saku himself was flying, he was creating all sorts of chances and could have easily had a three point night. Higgins was working hard and being effective. And Ryder - hell must have frozen over - Ryder had a good game. He was working and getting in good position, and could have had a goal or two. Also indicative of how well this line played, it drew four penalties.

The only line that had a sort of down night was the Lapierre line, and they could have gotten a goal on that nice passing play to Latendresse. The other lines were great, Kovy and Plex strong and creative as usual, and the fourth line was creative as well, I'm glad they got that final goal, they deserved it.

Huet was good again, he seems to be hitting a groove along with the team. The Isles did miss a lot of great chances, however, so it could have been closer. But our D came up huge in the clutch (aside from the Brisebois gaffe), the most memorable play was when Kovalev got his stick over to break up an easy tap in near the end of that 5 on 3.

Dandenault seems to get a goal or two each time he comes back from being scratched, we should bench him every other game and we'd have a 30-goal scorer. ^_^

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff - beating teams we are supposed to.

Maybe we have reached another 'level' of progress. Might be a bit too early for the 'next level' - up with Ottawa - but great to see us kicking into really good form.

If we beat the Rags tomorrow, I seriously do not fear any team in the playoffs, except Ott.

Go Habs!

Considering the Sabres are minus Briere and Drury....

The Sens haven't improved significally.

The Blue team could sign God, and still smell like my dog's rear end,

And the Bruins will always be the Bruins......

What would it take for the CH to win the North East Division ?

Remember, if you win a division, you finish at worst 3rd in the Conference.

Teams like NYR, Phily, Washington Pittsburgh have me worried that a top 8 Conference finish may not be good enough.

What would it take for Les bleu blanc rouge to score a playoff spot by winning the division ?

What was I thinking back in July ?

:clap:

:hlogo:

It's big win after big win. We've established ourselves as a (very likely) perennial playoff team over the next few years. We've taken the next step, we are no longer a borderline playoff team that finishes 7th-12th year after year.

Well, just finished on the PVR... nice game... you would think the CBC would show nothing but the habs and sens from here on out.. let the nation see some good hockey. :)

Ryder - great game. He made some really nice passes in the first. He drew penalties and stood up for Higgins. It is a shame his confidence is shot as he could easily have scored 2 tonight but he hesitates. Still, very good game, worked hard and was in much better position overall. If he can keep it up the goals will come. If that line could step up we would be scary good...

I loved seeing Streit to Dandy .. not many goals by two defensemen playing wing in this league...

I though Huet played great but I also liked that he played the puck well, sending a pass right up to the other blue line, then coming racing out late in the third. He was laughing at that, andI like to see him have confidence and fun.

Koivu was much better tonight, still blew some passes but certainly had some nice ones too.

Kovy and Pleks put in another routine game. :)

I thought the reffing was brutal. It appeared for a while like the Habs could get a penalty for sneezing on the bench. :)

Bring on the Rags. I sure hope the Habs come out skating again, they are so fun to watch when they move their feet.

Leafs up 1-0 in the first!

2-0!! I said Go Leafs Go and my 3 year old gave me shit :clap: He is a smart little one.

He couldn't understand the wisdom of it, but understands that we do not vote for them ever!

I had to coach my son's team today. They are very defensive and have one scorer. I looked down the bench and thought... "what would Carbo do'...

AH HA!!! I had my best two defensemen play wing.

We won 12 to 2 with 3 kids getting their first goals of the season... LOL.. thanks Carbo!!!!

It's big win after big win. We've established ourselves as a (very likely) perennial playoff team over the next few years. We've taken the next step, we are no longer a borderline playoff team that finishes 7th-12th year after year.

Yup. Every time you expect them to fit the mold of previous editions and lose a game - e.g., we all feared a post-Chsitmas collapse, instead they steamroll through Janurary; I was sure they were due to lose to the Prunes, and they beat 'em 8-2; Wamsley was worried about this game, they win 4-1 - they come back strong and KICK ASS.

THIS IS IT, LADIES AND GERMS - AFTER A DECADE OF SHITE, LES CANADIENS SONT DE RETOUR! :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: WE'RE A GOOD TEAM AGAIN, AND AIN'T IT FINE!!!!!

LOOK OUT, NHL! :lol:

Very nice game by the Habs today.

Isles had a chance only because of Dipietro. God bless their soul should he get hurt.

Yup. Every time you expect them to fit the mold of previous editions and lose a game - e.g., we all feared a post-Chsitmas collapse, instead they steamroll through Janurary; I was sure they were due to lose to the Prunes, and they beat 'em 8-2; Wamsley was worried about this game, they win 4-1 - they come back strong and KICK ASS.

THIS IS IT, LADIES AND GERMS - AFTER A DECADE OF SHITE, LES CANADIENS SONT DE RETOUR! :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: WE'RE A GOOD TEAM AGAIN, AND AIN'T IT FINE!!!!!

LOOK OUT, NHL! :lol:

Life is back to normal. Habs Good...Leafs Suck.

I have to admit, they pass every test we put out there. How can you not believe?

About the game it's an easy one, all the no names of the Isles are back

to what they always been, no name. They were playing like a team, tough play now

they play with no toughness so they have nothing. If they make the playoffs Diîetro

should be considered MVP. Wang is gonna get bored to lose money.

So what's their future? Winnipeg?

They said there were 11 scouts today at the Bell Centre, those I remember are : Toronto, New-Jersey, Columbus, San Jose, Calgary, Ottawa, NYR (duh) and the most important Anaheim (Yvon on RDS said the Anaheim's scout was at every Habs game since 3 weeks now).

Toronto, Ottawa and NYR are easy to understand (we play them all in the coming days).

Anaheim plays NYI next Tuesday, that might explain it.

NJ, CBS, SJ and CGY dont play the Habs or Isles so... hum... crank up the rumor mills.

Steve Bernier, Alex Tanguay, Sergei Fedorov, hehehe...

Life is back to normal. Habs Good...Leafs Suck.

I have to admit, they pass every test we put out there. How can you not believe?

Next test, 2 afternoon games, and no day rest. This is a huge test.

I hope they have the energie to play and win tomorrow. (but i have a feeling that they knew that winning one i sgood, and now they had the energie, so the killed the Isles)

I hope im wrong and they can really kick some ass vs the rags!

Next test, 2 afternoon games, and no day rest. This is a huge test.

I hope they have the energie to play and win tomorrow. (but i have a feeling that they knew that winning one i sgood, and now they had the energie, so the killed the Isles)

I hope im wrong and they can really kick some ass vs the rags!

Like the Cucumber said, every time we have doubted them in the last couple of weeks they have come through,

lets hope tomorrow is just one more time.

Like the Cucumber said, every time we have doubted them in the last couple of weeks they have come through,

lets hope tomorrow is just one more time.

I hope Halak gets the start, should keep the Habs players alert knowing there's a different goalie in nets. Besides, huet was chased last game vs the Rags so might as well just go with Jaro. Halak would probably be extra-motivated to prove himself.

About the game it's an easy one, all the no names of the Isles are back

to what they always been, no name. They were playing like a team, tough play now

they play with no toughness so they have nothing. If they make the playoffs Diîetro

should be considered MVP. Wang is gonna get bored to lose money.

So what's their future? Winnipeg?

No, China will apparently save the Isles and sell 100 million shirts a year!

If there was a chance of them moving, Rags fans would line up to drive the trucks. But I can't see Bettman allowing it.

Now if you say Florida...

I hope Halak gets the start, should keep the Habs players alert knowing there's a different goalie in nets. Besides, huet was chased last game vs the Rags so might as well just go with Jaro. Halak would probably be extra-motivated to prove himself.

Got to give the kid a chance sooner or later. I hope he has been working his ass off and responds to the challenge

Toronto, Ottawa and NYR are easy to understand (we play them all in the coming days).

Anaheim plays NYI next Tuesday, that might explain it.

NJ, CBS, SJ and CGY dont play the Habs or Isles so... hum... crank up the rumor mills.

Steve Bernier, Alex Tanguay, Sergei Fedorov, hehehe...

Columbus and Montreal do play later this month.

6-2 over Dipietro ??

Don'T get too pumped up, there is a respect that we have to give to every team out there

and calling a monster show by a fluke line isn't much realistic.

As usual it will be close expect Kovalev to make the difference again. Higgins has to show some

leadership great two way play and strong skating now that he realised that he doesn't have 40 goals hands and shot. That is what he is, a 25 goal scorer with some wicked speed and a great defensive instincts.

Relieve him the pressure to score and he is gonna be a much more valuable player.

Hey Easy Ryder,

1. I'll get pumped up as much as I want.

2. Your "fluke line" had a pretty good game....maybe not a "monster" game but a good game.

3. I do have respect for the opposition, but I also knew coming in that the flu bug had hit them hard...INCLUDING DIPETRO!!

4. The prediction I made (6-2) was also based on how we've been playing at home lately.

5. You were right on 2 things: DiPietro despite being sick made it closer than it should have been, and Kovalev did make the difference again.

What I love is reading the TSN post-game articles and hearing all the other teams comment on how we're one of the best they've played against, if not the best.

Another thing is that there were a ton of reps from other teams scouting that game and they got to see some good hockey out of us, even from Ryder (the guy most likely to be scouted by other teams).