Habs vs. Devils | 01.03.08

Cataclaw

I'm at work until this afternoon, i have no time to make the game thread until then.

Until then, pre-game discussion!

This thread will "morph" (aka be edited into) the game thread when i get back.

GO HABS GO

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Carbo has gotta stay with Price. Halak can get a game or two on the western roadtrip. Only change i would consider is somebody in for Smokes, but i would probably just leave it the same.

Really important that Price go back in - shows him it's his to carry and I think he thrives on it, most good goalies do. I hope Carbo has a nice talk with the boys about mental toughness tonight. Imagine first place to be ours, provides lots of confidence but most important it's that physological element against other teams.

Wow, I'm excited. Long time Habs fan and told my son last night after the game that I can't remember the last time when I could look at the standings in March and see my beloved Habs right up there - a beautiful thing, I live and die with these guys! Pissed I'm going to miss tonight's game though, daughter's concert. Just sharing my inner-most thoughts with fellow Habs fans. To the rest of the world I'm excited to go to the concert tonight!

Again, biggest game of the season for the Habs.

I'm sure NJ doesn't forget the comeback win we put on them last meeting. It should be a great match with real playoff atmosphere about it.

Price should get the start.

He should but If he doesn't, it's ok too. I can't wait to see how halak will do in a tough situation. he's been good for us last year I don't see how he wouldn't be this year.

I look foward to see how grabovski will do against a tight, defensive-minded team.

So, Price or Halak?

Carbo said that Price would get teh start. The kid deseves it. He played a very good game last night. He couldn't be blamed for any of the 2 goals he gave up. the First oe was just flukey and the second one was a cross ice pass during a PP. Nothing he could do about it!

Tonight's game will be tough. Not only will the Devils want to avenge last night's shutout, but they'll also want to avenge the last game they played against the Habs where our boys rallied in the 3rd to win it!

Go Habs Go.

This is a huge game for us.

Just a question. Who are you cheering for in todays game with The Pens and Sens.

I think i have to go for the Pens even though everybody is so close.

5-2 final for the Habs.

I see a repeat of what happened last time we challenged one of the top teams in the east (ie., an ugly loss).

We barely hold our own against the East's elite this season, and that's still a significant improvement over 06-07

2007-2008 Season

Record against Ottawa: 1-4, outscored 20 to 11

Record against NJ: 1-1, outscored 7 to 4

Record against Pittsburgh: 2-2, outscored 12 to 10

2006-2007 Season

Record against Ottawa: 3-5, outscored 30 to 24

Record against NJ: 0-4, outscored 12 to 4

Record against Pittsburgh: 2-2, even at 16-16

And don't get me started at how bad we are at home against Brodeur. *

Meanwhile, we definitely must cheer the Pens on against Ottawa. Regardless of the Devils and Penguins records for the rest of the season, as long as we can keep ahead of the Senators, we're guaranteed a top 2 position, and home-ice advantage for at least the first round or two (if we make it that far).

On another note, I like the thought of the 7.7 million we'll have in our pockets next season with the loss of Huet, Ryder and Smolinski, until the RFA status of Grabovski, Big Kost (who'll cost big), Lapierre, Streit and O'Byrne catches my eye.

I don't think we're getting any big name FAs over the summer :(

* Edit: Since 1989, Brodeur is 12-6-1, with a 1.47 GAA and 9.46 SV% at the Habs' home arena. He hasn't lost since 2003, and even then only allowed two goals a game.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

Edit: Since 1989, Brodeur is 12-6-1, with a 1.47 GAA and 9.46 SV% at the Habs' home arena. He hasn't lost since 2003, and even then only allowed two goals a game.

Didn'T Brodeur start his career in 1992-1993???

Edited by Habsfan

I see a repeat of what happened last time we challenged one of the top teams in the east (ie., an ugly loss).

We barely hold our own against the East's elite this season, and that's still a significant improvement over 06-07

2007-2008 Season

2006-2007 Season

Meanwhile, we definitely must cheer the Pens on against Ottawa. Regardless of the Devils and Penguins records for the rest of the season, as long as we can keep ahead of the Senators, we're guaranteed a top 2 position, and home-ice advantage for at least the first round or two (if we make it that far).

On another note, I like the thought of the 7.7 million we'll have in our pockets next season with the loss of Huet, Ryder and Smolinski, until the RFA status of Grabovski, Big Kost (who'll cost big), Lapierre, Streit and O'Byrne catches my eye.

* Edit: Since 1989, Brodeur is 12-6-1, with a 1.47 GAA and 9.46 SV% at the Habs' home arena. He hasn't lost since 2003, and even then only allowed two goals a game.

Outstanding post.

I agree that the odds aren't good for us tonight. The big caveat is that this team, despite all the understandable hand-wringing around here, is clearly at another level from any Habs' team in recent memory. Tonight's game, rather than be anticpated with pessimistic dread, should be viewed as a great opportunity for the players to seize the nettle and prove, to themselves as much as anyone, that they really do belong among the league's elite. Unlike in the past, I wouldn't be shocked if we do win a game like this. But yeah, a betting man would still pick the Devils.

Kostityn the Elder will 'cost big?' It depends on what that means. The guy has 41 points in 61 games. He'll have between 20-25 goals by season's end, at least. Is that really enough to warrant a bigger salary than, say, Higgins' at $1 800 000? I doubt it. Grabs, Lapierre, and O'Bryne have done nothing to warrant any huge payoff. Streit, on the other hand, will cost us - to the point where he might be best unsigned.

Put it all together and we definitely will have enough to sign a UFA or trade to get that mythical 'impact player.' No need for pessimism on that front. (This is not to say that a UFA will sign here, of course). More important is that the Habs not waste money locking in a big name UFA who turns out NOT to be any better than the young talent we're developing. (Imagine if we'd wasted all that dough on Briere, whose numbers are no better than Plekanec's).

Go :hlogo: go!!

I wish that Grabovsky will do even better than last night (2 assists). He looks much improved from earlier this season. More solid, more confident. He still has to find his marks and, obviously, is not yet up to the NHL speed of play. It took something like 25 games (and the recall of his younger brother) for AK46 to blossom, I predic that Grabo will become a bonafide NHLer before the end of the season.

As for Price, it was a bold move from Gainey to send Huet to Washington and give him the net. I believe, though, that it might turn as the best thing to happen to both men. Price now has a clear mandate, as well as Halak. Huet also will be grateful to end up with a team that has plans for him.

Gainey is a Serge Savard kind of GM. Very patient, not afraid to hire able and intelligent men, but still able to think for himself. He has a plan and sticks to it.

Way to go Bob!

Gainey is a Serge Savard kind of GM. Very patient, not afraid to hire able and intelligent men, but still able to think for himself. He has a plan and sticks to it.

Way to go Bob!

Bob is like Frank Selke. A patient builder who inherited an organization in total disarray, who comes in with a track record of winning, and a clear vision, and relentlessly pursues it.

A. Kost will want a big raise...but we can afford it. Bob might have to structure raises creatively...ie backload more of the money on a four year deal to the period of time when Koivu's inflated salary comes off the books.

I expect a loss. They have played well recently. they are at home, on TV, against Brodeur.

If they win, I will be joyously surprised. I just have learned to lower my expectations on nights like this. :)

As a side note, I went to the Pens / Islanders game last Tuesday, sat right down by the glass in the corner. Malkin is a freaking amazing hockey player. If the Pens can't keep one of the Crosby, Malkin, Staal combo down the line, I sure hope we can get one of them. The whole game I kept imagining Kovalev, Malkin, and Markov out there on a powerplay for the Habs... damn near soiled myself at the thought....

I expect a loss. They have played well recently. they are at home, on TV, against Brodeur.

If they win, I will be joyously surprised. I just have learned to lower my expectations on nights like this. :)

As a side note, I went to the Pens / Islanders game last Tuesday, sat right down by the glass in the corner. Malkin is a freaking amazing hockey player. If the Pens can't keep one of the Crosby, Malkin, Staal combo down the line, I sure hope we can get one of them. The whole game I kept imagining Kovalev, Malkin, and Markov out there on a powerplay for the Habs... damn near soiled myself at the thought....

Malkin would be a great upgrade at centre for us...I'd dance a little jig if that ever came to fruition.

Montreal always seems to choke when they have an opportunity to take first overall, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that today. I think Smoke may play by virtue of the way he played last game against NJ. I don't care which goalie plays, as long as we get the win!

GO HABS GO!!!!

A. Kost will want a big raise...but we can afford it. Bob might have to structure raises creatively...ie backload more of the money on a four year deal to the period of time when Koivu's inflated salary comes off the books.

AK46 will want to play with his brother. Bob will be fair and he should resign the young man with a reasonable offer.

AK46 will want to play with his brother. Bob will be fair and he should resign the young man with a reasonable offer.

How in God's name can Kosty demand more than Higgins (who makes less than 2 mil)? That's what I'm saying - whatever his raise, it won't handicap the team's capacity to sign a UFA. Indeed, Streit will likely be a lot more expensive.

Jesus Crist, so much negativity in this thread while we're frikkin first in the NE. So depressing :(

2007-2008 Season

2006-2007 Season

Not exactly the optimism I would expect going into this game. So we split the season series so far with NJ and PIT and have had a hard time with OTT. How does that bear on tonight's game?? I don't think it does at all.

In fact, I would be shocked if the boys don't come out FLYING. I expect nothing less than a BALLS OUT performance.

It will definitely come down to goaltending though. Marty has the ability to shut down our early chances and turn the game around single-handedly. Price will need to hold his end of the fort. It will be a great test for him.

Biggest game of the year!

(Too bad F^&*IN CBC will show TOR vs WAS in the east, as a battle of the non-contenders.....PATHETIC)