Bégin traded to Dallas

MAK

“Steve did not demand a trade, but he was able to – in a very mature way – give me a message that as the trade deadline approached, if something developed that he could have a better possibility to play regularly, would I consider it. I kept that as a request and today, an opportunity presented itself that fit Steve.

Got that, Georges?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say the team but some of players are.

You want names?? Just players who talked to media's.

Kovalev, Bégin, Dandenault, Tanguay, Laraque.

Player's who i suspect not happy to play the trap on 4 lines.

Kost(2), Kovalev(again), Markov, Tanguay((again)left Calgary because of the trap).

The question is do Carbonneau has the choice of playing the trap, no since they lost control of that team better

play safe and build for the upcoming years while having to fight for playoffs and maybe be out of it.

Tanguay talked to the medias saying he's not happy ???? Any source because I don't believe a word of that.

Tanguay talked to the medias saying he's not happy ???? Any source because I don't believe a word of that.

yep Joe it was a while ago, just before he got injured there was an article in the Journal de Montréal saying

he did not like/understood why his icetime was cut when is production was high. His production declined and clearly

said to the media he wanted to play more and it was a important season for him in his career (UFA status).

Now that's behind him but when he'll be asked to play the trap he'll think about it twice before signing here.

So will do every offensive player.

yep Joe it was a while ago, just before he got injured there was an article in the Journal de Montréal saying

he did not like/understood why his icetime was cut when is production was high. His production declined and clearly

said to the media he wanted to play more and it was a important season for him in his career (UFA status).

Now that's behind him but when he'll be asked to play the trap he'll think about it twice before signing here.

So will do every offensive player.

Well, there is a difference between being not happy and wanting more ice time. But I'd be somewhat pissed if Tanguay was out of town by summer. I think he worths the shot.

The Gazette has a good summary of the Cap implications and the reasons behind the trade. Anyone else contrasting Begin's team- first approach to the antics of BGL and getting pissed at Big George all over again?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Habs...2748/story.html

Thanks for all hard work Steve. I wish you all the best but I still hate Dallas

Actually Steve Bégin has been whining quite a bit this season, just like some other guys like Samsonov or Laraque. These guys were heavily criticized, but unlike them Begin was loved by the Montreal fans and media, so they symphatized with him instead.

Actually Steve Bégin has been whining quite a bit this season, just like some other guys like Samsonov or Laraque. These guys were heavily criticized, but unlike them Begin was loved by the Montreal fans and media, so they symphatized with him instead.

contrary to Laraque and Samsonov, Bégin gave his best when he was on the ice. Of course he voice his displeasure but never to the extent of Laraque and Samsonov.

Hey it was Bob Gainey who said that Begin approached the situation " in a very mature manner" not me. Read the article.

contrary to Laraque and Samsonov, Bégin gave his best when he was on the ice. Of course he voice his displeasure but never to the extent of Laraque and Samsonov.

What makes you say that Laraque and Samsonov don't give their best, simply because they have very different styles and don't jump in front of pucks? It is so easy for a marginal player like Begin to look like he's got more heart than others, he's playing a headless chicken game out of desperation, knowing very well that he doesn't have the size and skill set to play in the NHL, and that the only factor between making 1+ million in the NHL and making $60,000 in the AHL is his willingness to make personal sacrifices.

This has worked well for Begin, and you can use a guy like that around, however you don’t want all tour players to play like that, especially not the offensive types. I personally think that Samsonov was doing his best, he just didn’t fit at all under Guy Carbonneau; he was never the North-South net crashing type of player Carbonneau required him to be. Unfortunately the instant an offensive-minded player isn’t putting up points, he’s accused of being lazy; it doesn’t matter is he’s working hard, and doing everything he can to get out it, we say he’s got no heart, and that he doesn’t care.

Not unlike guys like Higgins and Plekanec this season. It’s obvious that they are working hard, but that we are expecting a little too much out of two guys who probably don’t have the skills to be offensive leaders and constant point producers (they were never drafted to play that kind of role); yet they are heavily criticized by some, saying that they’re gutless, afraid to get dirty, and things like that.

Hey it was Bob Gainey who said that Begin approached the situation " in a very mature manner" not me. Read the article.

I did, but this goes before the trade. People have been saying all season long that the others need to earn their spot in the lineup while Begin deserves to play just because he works so hard (regardless of the fact that he just wasn't good enough to play every game with us). People love Begin so much that they were saying he was the heart and soul of the team, an essential part of our roster, captain material, and other things like that.

I really like Begin, he was useful on our weak rosters during our reconstruction process, and even today remains a great player to have around... however he's still just a glorified reserve player. He's a great asset as a reserve player, but didn't want that role, and I'm very happy that Gainey made him that favor.

I did, but this goes before the trade. People have been saying all season long that the others need to earn their spot in the lineup while Begin deserves to play just because he works so hard (regardless of the fact that he just wasn't good enough to play every game with us). People love Begin so much that they were saying he was the heart and soul of the team, an essential part of our roster, captain material, and other things like that.

I really like Begin, he was useful on our weak rosters during our reconstruction process, and even today remains a great player to have around... however he's still just a glorified reserve player. He's a great asset as a reserve player, but didn't want that role, and I'm very happy that Gainey made him that favor.

That's the thing. I don't see Begin as a reserve player on most teams. Before TK came, he was our best grinder. Teams need grinders. Nobody said he should be captain. I do think that Begin was benched more than he should have been, but it was a depth issue. The team is very deep in his position. Fortunately, TK and Stewart are very good grinders, so Begin loses his spot. But he should not be on the bench. This is best for him. It will also make Carbo's job easier. I have seen Begin turn a game around in a few shifts, by lambasting four or five players in a row, and bringing energy to his team.

That's the thing. I don't see Begin as a reserve player on most teams. Before TK came, he was our best grinder. Teams need grinders. Nobody said he should be captain. I do think that Begin was benched more than he should have been, but it was a depth issue. The team is very deep in his position. Fortunately, TK and Stewart are very good grinders, so Begin loses his spot. But he should not be on the bench. This is best for him. It will also make Carbo's job easier. I have seen Begin turn a game around in a few shifts, by lambasting four or five players in a row, and bringing energy to his team.

However to remain effective, Begin needs to play with that all-out attitude, like a headless-chicken. Besides the fact that it leads to missed opportunities on the ice as well as the occasional dumb penalties (but it's ok, you have to accept and live with that from certain players), he cannot play like that 10+ minutes game, 82 games aa year. Every season we played him regularly, he significantly slowed down, and became kinds useless until he finally crashed down with a wear-and-tear injury.

That's a reserve player, a useful guy who can't play at the time.

Good-bye Steve. Hope you have some success out in the western conference. Thanks for the 5 great yearrs. If 1/2 the players on this team played the heart you did, we would have won a cup by now!

he was not unhappy if you listen to bob he asked at the beginning of the year if it was possible to move him near the deadline to a team where he had a chance at a regular spot. He realised he would not have a regular spot in montreal and he wants to play. Very professional

Ya, of course, Begin was happier than a pig in shit, thats why he asked Bob to move him. :rolleyes:

Apparently some people think Begin must be masochist and he didnt like being that happy so he asked to moved to place that he would hate. :lol:

Theres only a few French Habs and lately there seems to be a trend that they all seem to want out. Begin, BGL, Dandy, and theres Tangs rumours too. Only Lats and Laps like being in Montreal. :blink:

I cant be the only one here who thinks that a problem but I wont be surprised if I am the only one.

Ya, of course, Begin was happier than a pig in shit, thats why he asked Bob to move him. :rolleyes:

Apparently some people think Begin must be masochist and he didnt like being that happy so he asked to moved to place that he would hate. :lol:

Theres only a few French Habs and lately there seems to be a trend that they all seem to want out. Begin, BGL, Dandy, and theres Tangs rumours too. Only Lats and Laps like being in Montreal. :blink:

I cant be the only one here who thinks that a problem but I wont be surprised if I am the only one.

no you should not be surprised at all

Theres only a few French Habs and lately there seems to be a trend that they all seem to want out. Begin, BGL, Dandy, and theres Tangs rumours too. :blink:

I haven't heard a single rumor about Tanguay, but don't you see any commonality between the other three? Begin is regularly a healthy scratch. BGL is regularly a scratch and hardly sees the ice when he does play. Dandy wants to play D and has only played F and has been sparingly used on top of that. The fact all three are French is simply a coincidence. They're unhappy because their roles are not what they want, simple as that.

Ok, now that I understand your point, I agree with you. Sorry if I was a little snarky with the read the article bit.

Edited by PMAC