April 18th, 2009 | Canadiens @ Bruins | Game 2 Thread

Cataclaw

They better...or else you'll see me at game 4 with a paper bag on my head. :(

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I don't think this team can win without Markov.

Markov helps us win a game, maybe two, but even Markov would not be enough. Go down our lineup and who is really any good. Kovy. Tang...

I am not even sure if we had a 2nd line tonight. BGL on the first. Ugh...

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Markov helps us win a game, maybe two, but even Markov would not be enough. Go down our lineup and who is really any good. Kovy. Tang...

I am not even sure if we had a 2nd line tonight. BGL on the first. Ugh...

As far as who is any good so far in this series, you could stop at Kovy.

tough day to be a habs fan . . . . . . . . . we got to kill them in game three! See you Monday guys!

But good for us Bruins fans.

Na na na na, na na na na, HEYEYEY Goodbye!

And my Bruins won despite the refs being one-sided against them. Lucic went for the SHOULDER. Come on, wussy Habs fans, grow some. If the play happened the other way, you'd all be whining about how it was a bad call.

GO BRUINS GO!

....wow, that felt very weird, and yet......

:P

I'm convinced this team is going to hand the Ruins a bit of payback for all this bullshit.

Lucic's assault

The obscene one-sided reffing

The hockey gods will enact some hockey karma.. and what goes around will come around. It has to, or this is just shit.

The sad thing is that we aren't even able to make them pay in that way. Laraque is too polite to burp in public, forget about going after Lucic, Komisarek may or may not be able to do it and Stewart (not to mention Kostopoulos, Gorges and Bouillon - the only other 3 guys with the balls to fight for their teammates) is better suited to fighting a guy like Thornton. Had Lapierre done that to Lucic, his body would be lying in a ditch by now.

Not that he's a fighter, but I feel like Pacioretty would have been useful in this series.

Yes it is possible to anticipate that. when most of your guys are having career years, outside the expectations for them, you should assume many won't be a good the next year. When you see how most of them folded in the playoffs last year, you realize that while they have talent, we need some grit. (not a fighter, some gritty skilled guys). When he added lang, it was because he failed to get a number 1 guy. I didn't mind getting Lang, but why didn't Gainey make adjustments at the deadline when he clearly saw that most guys had regressed and Lang was done for the season.

I also think it was a mistake to leave so many guys unsigned. While people argue that he can now dump them because we see now they suck, that doesn't really wash with me. first, all the uncertainty may well have contributed to the plays bad years. They all got a huge vote of non-confidence. Now, if Gainey really didn't think they were that good so he needed to hold off signing them, then he DID think many would regress. If that is the case, we are back to my first point.. bring in help. ;)

In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens this summer. While I don't think he has to be fired, I do reject the suggestion that there is no better replacement. That is true if the only candidates are ex-french players, but several teams (like Boston) have managed to hire some pretty good GMs. While it is always risky to replace a GM, if they have a good candidate, then go for it.

Well, Gainey added two top-six forwards. That shows that he was aware that you couldn't count on every one of those key young guys improving. But no team can survive when so many of their blue-chip young guys tank all at once. (Also, what does it mean to say that Kostitsyn, Pleks, and Higgins had 'career' years? They're under 26 years old, for Pete's sake).

I also predicted going into this series that people would be drawing apocalyptic conclusions about the club while totally forgetting that we're missing our single most important player, the player who organizes our offence and PP and clears our zone better than anyone. Lo and behold. :lol: Judging this team on this playoff effort without Markov is like judging Calgary without Iginla, Vancouver without Luongo, Boston without Chara, Ottawa without Alfredsson, etc., etc..

The unsigned thing...meh. Gainey's policy has been that it's fairest for everybody to re-sign when the contract is up. That way you don't shortchange still-developing young players, and you don't lock the organization into contracts with one-year wonders. In fact, you're contradicting yourself a bit: on the one hand, this team is not very good, on the other, all those young guys should have been locked up after 'career years...' Hmmm. ^_^ I think you just made Gainey's case for him.

A 'better' candidate for GM...yes, I agree that if Kevin Holland is looking for a challenge we should upgrade to him. Other than that, stay the course. If Bob fails to RETOOL (not rebuild) effectively, then you make a change after next season is over. Before that is just panic.

Ugh. Ugly game. One penalty in the 1st and the team crumbled.

Quick notes:

- Josh Gorges. What's his use? He makes mental mistake after mental mistake, can't make a pass, can't win a battle, can't take or give a hit. Hope he goes on the press box once Markov comes back. I can't stomach watching that little #26 screw up every time the puck gets in his vicinity. So he's a good team player. Fine. Have him fill up the Gatorade bottles and hand out towels on the bench.

- Tom Kostopoulos. Please Bob, put someone with one ounce of talent with Lats and Laps. Kosto is a great warrior and all, but he negates all offense that line could generate because he has zero stickhandling ability.

- The Kostitsyns. How comes nobody has yet to teach them how to backcheck? Better yet, how comes nobody has told them the playoffs have started yet. Cycling the puck 30 feet away from the B's net. Yes, that'll score you some goals in the playoffs. I'll give some bonus points to Andrei K for solid hits on Lucic and Chara. Now start shooting the f***ing puck already.

- Higgins: Buy him a pair of contact lenses. He shot wide of the net about 5 times. So did most of the other players anyway. Except Lats. Latendresse hit the goalie with lot of consistency. Those 15 footers with nobody near Thomas sure are dangerous... if it was a pee-wee goalie in there.

- Price. Not impressed. Same old Carey. Miraculous saves, then stinkers from 15 feet. Give Jaro a chance to start in Game 3.

18 days since my home burned down and the Habs only won once since (april 4th). I'm doubly pissed off.

Well, Gainey added two top-six forwards. That shows that he was aware that you couldn't count on every one of those key young guys improving. But no team can survive when so many of their blue-chip young guys tank all at once. (Also, what does it mean to say that Kostitsyn, Pleks, and Higgins had 'career' years? They're under 26 years old, for Pete's sake).

I also predicted going into this series that people would be drawing apocalyptic conclusions about the club while totally forgetting that we're missing our single most important player, the player who organizes our offence and PP and clears our zone better than anyone. Lo and behold. :lol: Judging this team on this playoff effort without Markov is like judging Calgary without Iginla, Vancouver without Luongo, Boston without Chara, Ottawa without Alfredsson, etc., etc..

The unsigned thing...meh. Gainey's policy has been that it's fairest for everybody to re-sign when the contract is up. That way you don't shortchange still-developing young players, and you don't lock the organization into contracts with one-year wonders. In fact, you're contradicting yourself a bit: on the one hand, this team is not very good, on the other, all those young guys should have been locked up after 'career years...' Hmmm. ^_^ I think you just made Gainey's case for him.

A 'better' candidate for GM...yes, I agree that if Kevin Holland is looking for a challenge we should upgrade to him. Other than that, stay the course. If Bob fails to RETOOL (not rebuild) effectively, then you make a change after next season is over. Before that is just panic.

Career years means that Pleks for example was never a top offensive guy, he was billed as a 3rd line centre. And he is.

And you missed my other point. If Gainey didn't want to sign them because he know they played over their heads (and therefore didn't want to over pay), then he should have traded them at the top and brought in guys he believed in. :) It also doesn't explain all the guys like Koivu or Komi, who in theory was playing to expectations last year.

I think we need some fairly major retooling and I am no the record that Koivu must go. I don't think we need to pull a Leaf!

Ooo and it's alright and were going Home

We got to get right back to where we started from

Shooting's good, Grit can be strong

We got to get right back to where we started from

My remake to "Right Back Where We Started From" it sums up what we have to do.

Edited by Habsfan84

The Habs play a complete stinker and you want to complain about officiating? Really?

Because the Habs played a complete stinker does not excuse the fact the officiating was horrible.

Edited by Cataclaw

Just got back from the game.....where to start.....I actually thought we played well until halfway through the 2nd when the wheels came off, but neither the calls nor the breaks were going our way. That said, good teams battle through that and MAKE THEIR OWN LUCK, our response was to take more penalties (I'm looking at you Tanguay) to go with the fictitious ones, and mail this one in at the first opportunity.

Bright spots (if you can say that) - I thought Latendresse was physical and trying to create things, Dandenault also did well, skating and cycling the puck on offense. I don't think Price was particularly bad, though the 3rd and the 4th Bruins goals could have been stopped, and the team needed him to handle those. That said, he's not the reason we lost.

The bad....It's hard to watch Koivu anymore, he seems to be losing it by the game. I love his heart, but we really need to put him in a position where he can succeed, and trying to lead this team offensively just ain't happening anymore. He also used to make up for his lack of size with feisty (and at times physical) play, that has been non-existant. He gets bumped off the puck so easily now. Gorges seems to be on the ice for every effing goal against us in this series, and looks very tentative, perhaps it's some kind of nagging injury, perhaps just confidence. Kovalev, kudos for the goal, but more team play and less fancy individualism is what's needed here, he really needs to show the way. Hamrlik - slow and tentative, but at least he's in position for the most part. And then of course there is the lazy, undisciplined play by the entire bunch, and the penalties that come with it.

As far as the Bruins, well they took what they were given, but boy do I hate that team. Lucic....I begrudgingly respected his style of play, until tonite. That play on Lappy was disguisting, I hope he gets suspended for the remainder of the series for that, not that it will make any difference for us. In general the NHL needs to do something to address the goon mentality of Bruins and teams like them (say, Flyers?) before someone gets seriously injured or maimed, because that is not old school hockey, and it's not like it's one or two guys either, that whole team is out for blood, legally or illegally makes no difference to them.

Last thing......If there was ever a doubt that Andrei Markov is the heart and soul of this team, it should be gone by the time this series is over. I hope and pray that we see him before this series is over, otherwise it's gonna be short and ugly. Well, it's actually officially ugly already, isn't it?

- Josh Gorges.

- Tom Kostopoulos.

- The Kostitsyns.

- Higgins:

- Price.

18 days since my home burned down and the Habs only won once since (april 4th). I'm doubly pissed off.

Check. - skating lessons as well?

Check. - though Lats and Laps have been highly disappointing, IMO.

Check. - I'm thinking coke bottle lenses are his only hope

Check. - brilliance followed by mental farts

Sigh. - only once? oy.

Unbelievable, I'm getting emails from the administrators because "I'm too negative on Price" LOL !!!

I just won't come anymore that's fine.

STILL, PRICE SUCKS BALLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, if I recall Round One in 1993 correctly, we lost a heart-breaker in Quebec City in Game One and then got utterly demolished in Game Two.

So only one conclusion is possible: we got 'em right where we want 'em!

And with that, I'm gonna go to bed. Or else throw myself off the balcony. Haven't decided which. :puke:

You know, if I recall Round One in 1993 correctly, we lost a heart-breaker in Quebec City in Game One and then got utterly demolished in Game Two.

So only one conclusion is possible: we got 'em right where we want 'em!

And with that, I'm gonna go to bed. Or else throw myself off the balcony. Haven't decided which. :puke:

This made me laugh....thanks...needed that.

Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong this year. It happens.

We need retooling, that's for sure - not nuclear devastation. But I guess perspective is an unreasonable expectation under these circumstances.

Does anyone else remember that the Mighty Broons were an 8th place team last year? That some people were questioning Chara and his contract and that they were widely ridiculing their "big"off-season acquision M.Ryder?

The short-sightness of most of the commentary around the team in calling for Gainey to be fired is so intellectually and analytically challenged ( that means stupid for those of you who struggle with the big words) as to be laughable.

Bob is not perfect, he may have mishandled Price's development; the Riberio trade is not wonderful-- in hindsight-- but a rush to judgement would be counterproductive.

I understand your frustration-- I share it-- but it takes a long time to rebuild a franchise that was as deveastated as this one was when Bob took over. Starting over again would be a huge blunder.

A typical 1-8 matchup; we as the 8th seed hope/pray we can find a way to win. But there's no sparkplug player on this team; ie someone who can go out for a shift and take it to the Briuns (Sad really when Lap's line is the only line that's competing and showing some fire/heart and they look like they want to win)

It's not like the season series was close either (like last year).....as was previously posted almost an exact flip from last year EXCEPT the Briuns didn't play like the 8th seed last year.

Gainey can't motivate them (it appears) and our "leaders" are MIA............Komi the tough guy AFTER the whistles with the face rubs. How bout laying someone out with an actual clean check instead of the crap after the whislte? Kovy his usual lazy self, sure when he's got the puck he competes but the rest of the time he's floating. Koviu, when was the last time he went into teh corner to battle for the puck and came out with it? This could be said for most of our forwards too......

Ah hell, I picked Boston in 5 anyway in my pool.........and it looked like I'm going to be off by a game.