Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

I am in SHOCK.

THE GOOD:

-If you take the old adage that the team that wins the trade is the team that got the best player, then we win, hands down. Do we ever.

-Komi was walking anyway. Higgins's presence wasn't making a lick of difference.

-Higgins likely would also have walked when he becomes UFA, just like Komi (same agent, right?). In a weird sense, this is exactly what Bob *should* have done with Komisarek - move a guy he's not going to be able to lock up long term. You can't bitch about Bob losing guys for nothing and now bitch that he's been proactive with this RFA. You also can't gripe that Higgins is 'not a front-line player' and rip your hair out over trading him.

-Gomez is a valid #1 C (albeit not a goal-scorer, but don't we have Kostitsyn and Kovalev for that?). He is YOUNG (29) and locked up long-term (another 5 years [?]). This means that Bob has fundamentally addressed the problem at C, even if he didn't score the home run we hoped for (i.e., dominant, imposing #1 C). He has upgraded on the decaying Koivu while paying a fraction of what he'd have to pay for a Thorton or a Lecavalier.

-Gomez has won a Cup and delivers PPG production in the playoffs. Again, you can't crap on guys like Marleau for being PPG regular-season guys and weak in the playoffs, while crapping on a Gomez for upping his game when it counts.

-Gomez fits with the overall team concept of speed and intelligent play.

-He's shown he can work very effectively in 'systems'-oriented teams (Jersey).

THE BAD:

-Oh my Lord, what a NIGHTMARE CONTRACT.

-MCDONAGH??? That is a real shocker. I can't believe Higgins plus some scraps wouldn't have been enough. Hopefully this guy turns out to be a bust!

On balance, I think we should be happy - in hockey terms - and for the short term. We can carry the salary at least in the short-to-medium term; the impact in, say, 3 years will be harder to guage.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys nag worse than our GF's!!! come on get a grip... Otherwise Gainey was gonna GET NADA tomorrow!!!

Come on, this deal is horrible! Gomez is a more expensive Koivu with less heart. We just gave up a solid two-way player and our top defensive prospect for a player comparable to Koivu. :puke:

Holy crap. I step away for ten minutes, after refreshing every site this afternoon thinking something was going on, and then this happens.

Who is Bob flipping Gomez to? That's the only way I see this making sense. So in the course of a few minutes, the Habs dump 3 former #1s.

(And to be completely honest, I was expecting that Gainey would probably land Brad Richards for some reason).

Edited by huzer

By moving Tanguay to C.

Thereby taking Tanguay out of his element and hoping he can carry his line (and the team) and continue on our eternal path of mediocrity.

Here we go over reacting again. Finally Bob does something and we bitch. He doesn't do anything: we bitch.

Say what you want about McDonagh, but he's proved NOTHING. Higgins? Not much more than McDOnagh. Gomez: 2 rings. 4 70+ pt seasons.

Do you honestly think Gainey can hold out and just wait until he absolutely wins a deal to bring in a star? No, he can't. He's been doing it for too long, and now hes's gone out and gotten a good player, and paid value to get him. Fine by me.

And if you think Gomez is talentless, then you're gravely mistaken. I'm not afraid to say that Gomez is (with the cap around 57 mil) worth 7.35 mil.

We're obviously not going to be drafting anyone of his caliber. I hope Bob's got another trade coming (eve if he pays good value) to get a good player.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with Higgins going the other way. the fault in this deal is the "extras" that were far better then they had to be in this deal.

McDonagh is a top flight D-man, wait for that one to bite us in the ass, it was in the same conference so he will have multiple opportunities to show us time and again..

Here we go over reacting again. Finally Bob does something and we bitch. He doesn't do anything: we bitch.

Say what you want about McDonagh, but he's proved NOTHING. Higgins? Not much more than McDOnagh. Gomez: 2 rings. 4 70+ pt seasons.

Do you honestly think Gainey can hold out and just wait until he absolutely wins a deal to bring in a star? No, he can't. He's been doing it for too long, and now hes's gone out and gotten a good player, and paid value to get him. Fine by me.

And if you think Gomez is talentless, then you're gravely mistaken. I'm not afraid to say that Gomez is (with the cap around 57 mil) worth 7.35 mil.

We're obviously not going to be drafting anyone of his caliber. I hope Bob's got another trade coming (eve if he pays good value) to get a good player.

I agree with you. At the same time.. Gomez EATS out our cap until 2014. So... nothing will happen on the UFA front until 2014.

I am also not so happy with the fact that as of right now, I don't see him as "THAT much" superior to Koivu. It also makes the Ribeiro trade twice as much.

Finally, I don't understand why it costed way less to the Stars to get Richards (whom I prefer to Gomez)

By moving Tanguay to C.

Hahaha You guys are still under the shock! lets wait it out.... it makes sense to me... and hopefully we can send an american star centerman to Florida to replace our Canadian star... What matters is not that we believe that .. its that Tampa believes so! lol

I don't think anyone here has a problem with Higgins going the other way. the fault in this deal is the "extras" that were far better then they had to be in this deal.

McDonagh is a top flight D-man, wait for that one to bite us in the ass, it was in the same conference so he will have multiple opportunities to show us time and again..

Several years from ever impacting a game against us.

Well, this is interesting to say the least, particularly with McDonagh in there. Janik's no real loss - he's a UFA in a few hours, and Valentenko no one expected to ever come over anyways. So it's a 3 for 2 for all intents and purposes. Busto's a depth guy for Hamilton, so he's out of the equation.

Gomez's contract for those interested: $7,357,143 cap hit for 5 more years, salaries as follows:

2009-10: $8,000,000

2010-11: $8,000,000

2011-12: $7,500,000

2012-13: $5,500,000

2013-14: $4,500,000

I've been a fan of Pyatt ever since the World Juniors where he played for Team Canada for 2 years. I certainly wouldn't discount him as a "career ECHL'er" as some have noted already. Higgins, I like the guy, but I think there's a good chance we could get him back as a UFA after next season, as his play last season certainly didn't earn him a multi-year deal.

The Habs wanted Gomez years ago and reportedly offered him a contract similar to this one, so this isn't too big of a surprise. Losing McDonagh hurts, but I don't think this deal is as bad as some make it out to be.

(The HW chat tonight certainly got a lot more interesting...)

I am in SHOCK.

THE GOOD:

-If you take the old adage that the team that wins the trade is the team that got the best player, then we win, hands down. Do we ever.

-Komi was walking anyway. Higgins's presence wasn't making a lick of difference.

-Higgins likely would also have walked when he becomes UFA, just like Komi (same agent, right?). In a weird sense, this is exactly what Bob *should* have done with Komisarek - move a guy he's not going to be able to lock up long term. You can't bitch about Bob losing guys for nothing and now bitch that he's been proactive with this RFA. You also can't gripe that Higgins is 'not a front-line player' and rip your hair out over trading him.

-Gomez is a valid #1 C (albeit not a goal-scorer, but don't we have Kostitsyn and Kovalev for that?). He is YOUNG (29) and locked up long-term (another 5 years [?]). This means that Bob has fundamentally addressed the problem at C, even if he didn't score the home run we hoped for (i.e., dominant, imposing #1 C). He has upgraded on the decaying Koivu while paying a fraction of what he'd have to pay for a Thorton or a Lecavalier.

-Gomez has won a Cup and delivers PPG production in the playoffs. Again, you can't crap on guys like Marleau for being PPG regular-season guys and weak in the playoffs, while crapping on a Gomez for upping his game when it counts.

THE BAD:

On balance, I think we should be happy. Not ecstatic, but happy - in hockey terms. We can carry the salary at least in the short-to-medium term; the impact in, say, 3 years will be harder to guage.

Very well stated. The Habs did get the best player in the deal. Realizing that Higgins would be a UFA next year is an important aspect.

May not be so bad afterall.

Now i still would love to see Saku brought back as the 2nd line centre.

I am in SHOCK.

THE GOOD:

THE BAD:

On balance, I think we should be happy. Not ecstatic, but happy - in hockey terms. We can carry the salary at least in the short-to-medium term; the impact in, say, 3 years will be harder to guage.

Thank you, I like what you say, I'll print this post and read it 10 times before going to sleep. hope this will help kill any nightmare about the potential of a 7.25M flop traded for 2 former first round picks... :)

seriously, thank you, your post is a good one.

How can you say Gomez is worth that much?

He did little since he got to NY. He's a passer and that's it. He can't shoot, can't hit, is adequate at best defensively. For 7M$?

Tanguay is way better and Bob hasnt even bothered to give him an offer yet.

And he traded McDonagh. Essentially, it's Higgins + McDo for Gomez. McDo has proved nothing yet, but Timmins & Gainey sure did a Hell of a job hyping him to us when they justified passing on Esposito to draft him. Either they were full of sh*t or they drafted a bust or they got fleeced in this deal, you chose.

God... just when I thought finally we'd clean the locker of all the creampuffs, we go and overpay to get one that's already overpaid...

Hahaha You guys are still under the shock! lets wait it out.... it makes sense to me... and hopefully we can send an american star centerman to Florida to replace our Canadian star... What matters is not that we believe that .. its that Tampa believes so! lol

What would be the point of trading Vinny for Gomez when their cap hit are the same?!

:puke: :puke: :puke:

That's what we, as habs fans wanted him to become... however, that has not been proven yet. he could flop like any other good prospect dman.

Right now I think just the same, that he's a top flight prospect... but hey... what if he flops? :)

Anyone know anything about the prospects we got back?

I included Gomez in my list of potential targets... didn't think we'd need to deal McD to get him. :blink:

Gomez is both a blessing and a curse player. I've seen him dominate playoff games. When he decides to shoot and skate, he's very dangerous. But man... he's not the same player out of Jersey (like so many before him). Can Martin get him to be that player??? Can he take even more pressure than he got in NY?

On the pro side... with Komi's rejection .. it ignited all of this... and with Gomez.. Im sure Gainey will offer Alex tanguay a deal before tomorrow... Gomez needs stars on his wings.

Tanguay - Gomez-or (Vinny if only) - Kovy

This would be the time IF we had a great franchise goaltender with 6-8 good years left in him we could trade him to Colorado in exchange for Peter Budaj/Andrew Raycroft, Darcy Tucker and Tyler Arnason

AKostits/Gomez/Kovalev

2nd line

Pacioretty/Plekanec/SKostitsyn

Latendresse/Lapierre/Laraque

If BG can somehow put together a good 2nd line, i will be happy.

Tanguay, Koivu, Hossa/Gaborik sure would look good.

He has upgraded on the decaying Koivu while paying a fraction of what he'd have to pay for a Thorton or a Lecavalier.

[...]

-MCDONAGH??? That is a real shocker. I can't believe Higgins plus some scraps wouldn't have been enough. Hopefully this guy turns out to be a bust!

See, you basically contradicted yourself there.

Higgins + McDo + extras is what I'd have expected to pay for Lecavalier or Thornton. We paid that for Gomez, who has a contract as heavy as Vinny's.

McDo should never have been a part of this deal. Not for the cost of taking such a huge contract for a uni-dimensional player. We're doing the Rags a favor, we should get a discount.

Seems like Gainey felt he owed Sather one for Kovalev.

Gomez is a good hockey player & a character guy. He can talk smack and start sh*t around the net.

I like him a lot...But the contract is insane. :wacko:

Edited by Jaysix

AKostits/Gomez/Kovalev

2nd line

Pacioretty/Plekanec/SKostitsyn

Latendresse/Lapierre/Laraque

If BG can somehow put together a good 2nd line, i will be happy.

Tanguay, Koivu, Hossa/Gaborik sure would look good.

And the money for that comes from... ?

Not to mention the defence......

Need to listen to some norwegian black metal and get back on track again... Gainey = PHAIL!!!