Habs @ Flames | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Plekanec's looked amazing today, by far the best on the ice. However I dont think I've ever seen a line move so fast as our 1st line does, holy crap can those guys skate.

:clap:

What I love about CGG is that no play is ever lost with them. Just when you think they're checked and covered and going nowhere, they create something out of nothing.

And it's just gonna get better.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it. You don't like Halak. Hence, no point debating with you. ^_^

Dude, I sure you, there is nothing more i'd like to than to like him. But I just can't with what I see on the ice. The big save just never comes.

Bah.

Good game, dominated the 3rd. We would have won that game if we had a 4th line.

Bang on. Our 4th line was minus 3 tonight. Calgary is significantly deeper then Buffalo or Toronto, and it showed with that line.

The biggest difference I'm noticing with this year's team is that they don't quit. They play every shift at 100%. Sometimes that extra effort results in goals. The Gomez goal is a perfect example, Cammalleri gave up the puck, then kept after it stole it back and found an open gomez for the goal. Same deal on the 2nd goal, guys battled for the puck in the corner, got free took a shot and latendresse is able to bury the rebound.

No quit in these guys, all effort all the time. You can just tell they love to play hockey. Win or lose, it really is a joy to watch.

the shot was heading for the middle of the net when it left the guys stick... it was also bobbled when it hit Gorges or he might have had the first deflection.

Seriously, I don't want to go all season having people pick on the goalies for deflected slap shots going in. The only bad goal in this game was by Kipper on the Plek goal. That was a bad play by Kipper.

Halak was far from technically perfect in the game, his puck tracking was suspect on more than one play, and he is too deep in his net for a goalie his size.

When the day comes where you don't call out Price for what you perceive as a bad goal, then you can complain about others. If you don't want to deal

with people picking on goalies, don't come on messageboards. It is a fact of life and is NEVER going to change.

But enough about the goaltending. Tonight's game is exactly the reason you DO NOT complain about wins they didn't deserve because

they are going to lose games they deserve to win, just like tonight.

That was their best effort of the season.

It was a low slapshot that was deflected a foot off the ice, just high enough to go over Halak's pad. Stick-side, forget it, there's nothing there to cover.

Well really he didn't kick the pad out until after the puck was behind him. Anyway Halak isn't to blame for the loss he held them in it, in the second.

A hat trick by a 4th line player is the real killer.

They showed great heart in the third when last year they may have rolled over after the early goal. Shots were 13-4 for the habs. Can't really complain, although a pp or 2 would have been nice. I counted a few plays that could have been called.

Anyone have any news on metro? He makes the 4th line bearable. Maybe throw in Dags instead of Stewart, he was terrible tonight.

If it was up to me, Stewart would have got a one-way bus ticket to Hamilton right after the game. I'd call up Ryan White.

Well as predicted, we finally faced a really good team. In my opinion, we got lucky on some of those goals to even be in this game. The first was good, but after that we were seriously outplayed.

I didn't really expect them to win, especially with no PP time, no Markov.

We really need to change up the 4th line. You can't have Stewart and BGL on the same line. Too slow. Pick one of them and put the other in the press box.

Other then that, we really need AK to get moving and give Pleks some help on the 2nd line.

Stewart's actually really fast. Chips & Laraque would make more sense. It's our 2nd line that needs a boost.

It's our 2nd line that needs a boost.

+1

Another top 6 winger, hell even Sergei (he always seems to play well with Andrei) would make the second line look better. Max-Pac isn't ready to play on one of the top lines and I wouldn't want to break up the third line.

Huh. I thought Kosty was a lazy bastard all night and only wanted to play shinney. Which is great once in a blue moon, but he doesn't have the Kovy skills to even make himself worthwhile for 10 games a year if that's the effort he's going to put in.

On the other hand, who was that 14 guy? Reminded me of some dude who was on the team two years ago. Plekathankgawdidonthavetopalywithkovyanymore?

Patches was much better than many have indicated here - his improvement from game one to game three is quite impressive. He's using his body, winning some battles, and is starting to develop a little chem with that 14 dude.

Weber came much better than I anticipated. While he's small and can get forced off the puck, he doesn't give up a la Bouillon, and has pace and passing which is great to see.

CGG are incredible to watch. The forecheck from them is scary.

Think Chipper had that fight to keep him up knowing he was having a bad game?

Who wins in this foot race: Gill or Laraque?

Who wins in this skill race: Gill or Laraque?

Gotta say, I've been happy with Laraque this season thus far.

Hand-eye coordination of our top-6 is astounding and comparable to any other team, IMO.

Laps, Lats and Moen were very solid and are making for a great third line. Nice to see Lats score, but I'm not convinced he's got the offensive smarts to play on the top two lines.

On the other hand, who was that 14 guy? Reminded me of some dude who was on the team two years ago. Plekathankgawdidonthavetopalywithkovyanymore?

You're developing a crush on little Nancy. How cute!

You're developing a crush on little Nancy. How cute!

Doesn't play so much like a Nancy anymore now that his mentor "superstar" Nancy winger is gone.

Nice game for the most part, from what I saw - too bad about the outcome. No biggie, but what worries is me is tomorrow night. I expect a tired and overworked Habs team to face an increasingly desperate Canucks lineup and a Lungo hungry to bounce back from a disastrous outing. It has 'BLOWOUT' written all over it. (The Vancouver media are already framing this is as a 'Gimme' given the Markov injury, saying that you couldn't ask for a better opponent when you're on a 3-game losing streak etc.. That's all crap, BUT the two games-in-two-nights thing will probably kill us).

Weber looked fairly pathetic tonight, so we can't get Bergeron and his bona-fide Big League point shot into the lineup fast enough. Whatever Spacek's credentials as a PP QB, I'm not seeing enough effective shots from the point from anyone at this stage.

Hard to judge Pacioretty because the French commentators have universally decided that he's not top-6 material, so you have to try to evaluate him through the fog. But in fact NONE of the young guys impressed tonight. The 'depth' is looking pretty shallow.

Quit pickin' on Gill! :lol: He always looks awkward but usually manages to get himself out of his own jams.

Pleks is getting the mojo back - Bob, lock that puppy up! (OK, wait until the second half) and Kostitsyn finally showed signs of life. We need Pleks to be all that, but if Kostitsyn can actually break the mould and be a highly-touted Habs pick who actually PLAYS like he warrants the hype, then we will become a very difficult team to stop offensively. The Big 3 are money in the bank; but it's Kostitsyn and Pleks who hold the keys to the season in some ways.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Ironicaly i think this game was the 1 they deserved to win the most. Its a cruel world.

the shot was heading for the middle of the net when it left the guys stick... it was also bobbled when it hit Gorges or he might have had the first deflection.

Seriously, I don't want to go all season having people pick on the goalies for deflected slap shots going in. The only bad goal in this game was by Kipper on the Plek goal. That was a bad play by Kipper.

No, there were several bad goals IMO that shouldnt have happened. However I do not blame Halak for either of them. Gorges should know better than to try to bat the puck away and deflect it into his own net. Let the other team do their own tip ins. The 2nd bad goal was caused by 2 turn overs on the same shift just seconds apart by Stewart. That goal should have never happened because Stewart should have had that pass and got the puck out of their end instead of the pittiful weak turnover to the Flames dman waiting out on the point.

Ya, the CGG line looks sick. That 1 play of Gomez, OMG that was wild. Where Gomez was semi falling over, and lifted buddys stick and knocked the puck to Camy who was semi in the corner and on the ice and then gomez went towards the net for the give n go. If that had have gone in it would have been the highlight of the night.

Worst call of the night: Habs offside when the Flame player interfered with the habs and pushed him over the blue line just ahead of the puck making him offside.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Weber looked fairly pathetic tonight, so we can't get Bergeron and his bona-fide Big League point shot into the lineup fast enough. Whatever Spacek's credentials as a PP QB, I'm not seeing enough effective shots from the point from anyone at this stage.

Well you certainly can't base that judgment on tonight's game since we havent got any PP given to us at all.

Spaceman got a rocket from the point, but that's just one part of the equation. You need someone who can set you up effectively. This is why the Habs got MAB. Not to the pass the puck, but so Spaceman could move from shooter to passer in place of Markov and set MAB up.

Was there A single penalty called against Calgary? Wtf?!?!?!

Worried about the fourth line... And until I see MA bergeron play.. I am going to stick to my preference of dressing a 7th dman.. Even Bergy says I'm right :P

Seriously... Even when O'Byrne is back... Until at least one of Mara or Gill stop making me grind my teeth and piss my pants from their play I want them to play less than 12 min!!! or if not do 15 when PK'ing

Gorges/Spacek/Hammer still circa 20 min each, Spacek looked a bit better tonight (maybe in better shape)... Hammer looked confused at times... as if he was thinking too much about what his old team could and would do! Gorges can at least skate back and try to fix his mistakes

Weber Bergeron O'Byrne and Gill 15 min averaged. Weber and Bergeron could both do 4th line duties if they are getting cold on the bench

Edited by CoRvInA

Ironicaly i think this game was the 1 they deserved to win the most. Its a cruel world.

No, there were several bad goals IMO that shouldnt have happened. However I do not blame Halak for either of them. Gorges should know better than to try to bat the puck away and deflect it into his own net. Let the other team do their own tip ins. The 2nd bad goal was caused by 2 turn overs on the same shift just seconds apart by Stewart. That goal should have never happened because Stewart should have had that pass and got the puck out of their end instead of the pittiful weak turnover to the Flames dman waiting out on the point.

Ya, the CGG line looks sick. That 1 play of Gomez, OMG that was wild. Where Gomez was semi falling over, and lifted buddys stick and knocked the puck to Camy who was semi in the corner and on the ice and then gomez went towards the net for the give n go. If that had have gone in it would have been the highlight of the night.

Worst call of the night: Habs offside when the Flame player interfered with the habs and pushed him over the blue line just ahead of the puck making him offside.

I think Stewart is also in danger of being sent back to Hamilton (I hope it happens as soon as Alex Henry is healthy) but to Stewart's defence Chipchura's pass was too far for a tired Stewart, and hence the turnover

scary to see those smurfs play like they can! *$%@@ they are so good!!!!

Plek is getting back on track (that was a worthy second centre level performance no doubt)

Best positive part was AK's play, his Fn best of all preseason/season games! And he can be better than that Which is WHAT HE HAS TO GET INTO HIS HEAD COLISE!!!

Apart from Chips mistake he played well for his first game. (need to add that Metropolit was missed tonight!!!)

Laraque was benched because of the other two, he did ok!

a part from Lats goal he is still doing too much!!! Even Lapierre seemed tired.... (Only three lines playing) and the altitude could have been the culprit.

p.s. I decided not to buy tickets for tomorrow's game (vancouver) they have lost the last two times they were here and I went to watch them both!!!!

So if we lose then its no longer me the jinxer!!!! LOL :P

Well thye played there best period of the year, thye also played there worst. The 4th line was terrible, obviosly. I believe minus 8 total.

The wheels seem to be at times turning pretty well, other times i have no idea what's going on. I can assume they will only continue to get better.

I idn't think Weber was bad, i thought he looked fine out there, so i'm not sure what peopel are mad at there, Gorges last night was far worse.

Goaltending was average, not Halak's fault he lost but he did let in a soft one.

I guess we'll see about some character, hard work tonight. Let's see which team shows up.

I would put Paciotetty on the 4th line, sit stewart, try D'Agi on the second. I hope Metro is back soon.

I have no idea what's going on with the PP, the system appears to be stand in a box until the other team scores.

Well thye played there best period of the year, thye also played there worst. The 4th line was terrible, obviosly. I believe minus 8 total.

The wheels seem to be at times turning pretty well, other times i have no idea what's going on. I can assume they will only continue to get better.

I idn't think Weber was bad, i thought he looked fine out there, so i'm not sure what peopel are mad at there, Gorges last night was far worse.

Goaltending was average, not Halak's fault he lost but he did let in a soft one.

I guess we'll see about some character, hard work tonight. Let's see which team shows up.

I would put Paciotetty on the 4th line, sit stewart, try D'Agi on the second. I hope Metro is back soon.

I have no idea what's going on with the PP, the system appears to be stand in a box until the other team scores.

I always find it amazing as a Habs fan, when we win it’s a team win, when we lose, it’s individuals . If anyone really believes that Stewart and Chipchura lost the game for us in Calgary has tunnel vision. They both barely saw any ice time in the third period. Perhaps one might assume, the first three lines didn’t win the game, or Calgary played better than expected.

I see the loss as being out coached, the CGG line can’t continue to play full out and be expected to have gas left for a third period comeback every game. Just my opinion from the same game you all watched and that I watched. The line matchups were off.

I always find it amazing as a Habs fan, when we win it’s a team win, when we lose, it’s individuals . If anyone really believes that Stewart and Chipchura lost the game for us in Calgary has tunnel vision. They both barely saw any ice time in the third period. Perhaps one might assume, the first three lines didn’t win the game, or Calgary played better than expected.

I see the loss as being out coached, the CGG line can’t continue to play full out and be expected to have gas left for a third period comeback every game. Just my opinion from the same game you all watched and that I watched. The line matchups were off.

They had little ice time and were minus 3.. yeah.. I would say they helped us lose the game. Stewart and BGL on the same line will not work against any team with a fast 4th line. Also note that Calgary had the last change, so line miss matches are common.