Laraque is done

BCHabnut

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about bringing up a 9th defenseman and another smurf.

I was happy when thye got him and watched him not do what he was being paid to do. He turned into kind of a joke.

They still need a tough guy, is there anyone on the farm who isn't another Dman who is big, tough physical and fights?

Great, more room for Desharnais and Subban ^_^

Brian Burke will pick Laraque up and he will beat the shmilbilck out of us every time we play the Laffs

Let's face it: he was not able to play at the NHL level anymore, therefore, I don't see how he could interest another team. I think that he overbuilt himself, supposedly to be able to fight younger and stronger players. The problem is that he lost all his flexibility, got injured every two games and had become extremely slow on skates.

Too bad, I like the guy. Apparently, he is upset by today's move. He should be; that's a big disappointment. A few months at home should give him ample time to reflect on the situation and conclude that he was lucky to have a career, to begin with, and to collect enough money to secure his future. It's a lot more than most of his cousins, uncles and aunts in Haiti will ever get from life.

JMHO

I don't know about bringing up a 9th defenseman and another smurf.

I was happy when thye got him and watched him not do what he was being paid to do. He turned into kind of a joke.

They still need a tough guy, is there anyone on the farm who isn't another Dman who is big, tough physical and fights?

Conboy is extremely tough, and a better player than Laraque. But he certainly needs more time at Hamilton.

Hard to comprehend why Gainey didn't put him on waivers or try to trade him (as far as we know). Still, I think the Habs are a better team without him... provided we get some actual forwards playing forward.

So I guess that means the cap hit for 2010-2010 and 2011-2012 going to be 500k

(1,500,000 * 2/3) /2 = 500,000$ for 2010-11 and 2011-12.

It will remain 1,500,000 for this year.

Its to bad, I feel bad for BGL but I can also understand the Habs decision, just the timing is unfortunate.

Why are people bringing up Stewart? :wacko:

Kosto was a much better fighter than Stewart and all Kosto did was wrastle.

He could not be waived due to his no-movement clause. Gainey has not bought him out, he simply told him to go home, he won't play another game.

Gainey will buy out his remaining contract in the summer, when he is allowed to by NHL rules.

I read on another from Deren Dreger i believe that Martin asked him to go out an intimidate the other team, even if you need to get instigator penalty and Laraque refused to do it.

Take that for what it's worth

He could not be waived due to his no-movement clause. Gainey has not bought him out, he simply told him to go home, he won't play another game.

Gainey will buy out his remaining contract in the summer, when he is allowed to by NHL rules.

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks!

I feel bad for Georges. It's not his fault Bob gave him an oversized contract and then was underused by three different coaches. He never seemed to be on the ice when things got chippy. The one time he was actually asked to fill a role, he took Lucic completely off his game until the refs apparently told him that stalking is a penalty somehow. Seriously, in tough games, he should have been taking the occasional shifts with guys like Koivu, Plekanec, Cammalleri, and Gomez. Instead, he played 3-4 minutes in the first two periods and then sat the entire 3rd period during most of his tenure here.

As for his cap situation, surely some team would be willing to give up a 7th round pick for his fists. Also, if he knows he's not going to play, why wouldn't he waive his no movement clause to give himself a chance of getting picked up? If nobody picks him up the first time through, surely someone would take a chance on him on re-entry waivers.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks!

It doesn't mean that he won't be playing somewhere else if a team wants to sign him. I don't believe it will happen though. Laraque was not the enforcer he used to be. He was not as intimidating and clearly did not want to fight anymore. IMO, the decision should have been taken a few months ago.

I feel bad for Georges. It's not his fault Bob gave him an oversized contract and then was underused by three different coaches. He never seemed to be on the ice when things got chippy. The one time he was actually asked to fill a role, he took Lucic completely off his game until the refs apparently told him that stalking is a penalty somehow. Seriously, in tough games, he should have been taking the occasional shifts with guys like Koivu, Plekanec, Cammalleri, and Gomez. Instead, he played 3-4 minutes in the first two periods and then sat the entire 3rd period during most of his tenure here.

As for his cap situation, surely some team would be willing to give up a 7th round pick for his fists. Also, if he knows he's not going to play, why wouldn't he waive his no movement clause to give himself a chance of getting picked up? If nobody picks him up the first time through, surely someone would take a chance on him on re-entry waivers.

I imagine emotion was involved, and i think what you are saying will eventually happen. Unless he i s in so much pain that he doesn't want to play. If not, he will take a week or two, waive his clause, go to the minors, and be called up to see if he will be claimed.

I know Laraque had a NMC last year but I'm not sure about this season. If not, he in theory could be farmed out to Hamilton (while still receiving his full salary).

Also, it's far from a guarantee that Laraque can be bought out - if his back is so screwed up, he could fail a physical which would nullify a buyout. Knowing how upset Laraque is with the organization as a result of this, watch for him and his agent to push this just to screw over the team.

eric neilson liked to fight in the preseason

For about the 50th time now, Eric Neilson is in no way whatsoever affiliated to the Habs aside from the fact that the Bulldogs gave him a minor league deal only. He is not under an NHL contract and technically is an NHL UFA. Considering he's been a healthy scratch in 11 of the last 21 games in the AHL, there's no way that he even warrants a contract let alone a callup.

Is it worth it for the Habs to put him on re-entry waivers though? If they buy him out, it's a 2-year cap hit of $500,000 as correctly calculated by someone earlier in the thread. If they lose him on re-entry, next year's cap hit is $750,000 instead of 500k. With so little space for next season already, is it in the team's best interest to take the higher cap hit next season or to pay him more over an extended time period and keep the cap hit down?

I know I've been harsh and dismissive of Laraque, but man... this seems like a total dick move on the organization's part in dispatching of him. He has a right to be angry if this is how it went about.

Mixed emotions on this. Just don't like the way it was handled. And the timing, with the Haiti situation, just doesn't feel right. But, I don't like the way Saku was treated either. I'm not looking at on ice stuff, just people management. Sure it's a business, anyway, I'm sure the team will now go on a big winning streak, and secure that big 8th seed, LOL. I'm not going to like it, but Bob's gone, one way or another, he steps down in the spring, in my humble opinion.

Is it worth it for the Habs to put him on re-entry waivers though? If they buy him out, it's a 2-year cap hit of $500,000 as correctly calculated by someone earlier in the thread. If they lose him on re-entry, next year's cap hit is $750,000 instead of 500k. With so little space for next season already, is it in the team's best interest to take the higher cap hit next season or to pay him more over an extended time period and keep the cap hit down?

Personally, I'd be happy with the extra 250k next season just to get it off the books sooner.

Mixed emotions on this. Just don't like the way it was handled. And the timing, with the Haiti situation, just doesn't feel right. But, I don't like the way Saku was treated either. I'm not looking at on ice stuff, just people management. Sure it's a business, anyway, I'm sure the team will now go on a big winning streak, and secure that big 8th seed, LOL. I'm not going to like it, but Bob's gone, one way or another, he steps down in the spring, in my humble opinion.

I concur... JM has alot of pull... as I wrote before BG is doing whatever JM wants.... next year JM will be GM and coach.

I wanna give JM the benefit of the doubt but Im not liking this habs team's philosophy!.. Oh well on the bright side Now mayne we can bring up Alex Henry! lol

this is not a good way to treat a player. As much as I found BGL pretty much useless on the team, it did stop the team from being bullied. I hope it turns out better, but BGL is pretty angry right now.