Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Well, I don't think the loss of Huet will have any impact in the long run. But I don't see the sense in hurting yourself for no reason and minimal return in the short run, either. Huet should have remained with us as a good 'room' guy and to add to our depth in goal for our playoff drive.

As for Wadell, well, if you think that Huet is a pretty good goalie and that our depth in goal was a team strength, then he did achieve one thing with his admittedly dumb trade: weakening a conference rival for the stretch run.

I have full faith in Bob, but THIS was a bungle. Hopefully either Halak or Price will find the zone and this bungle will prove to be insignificant. But the point of trade deadline day is to strengthen your team for now or for the future, and he achieved neither.

According to Bob, Wadell wanted 3 players in the Habs lineup tonight plus a top prospect.

He also said they have been evaluating Huet all year and decided he was not a part of the future.

I held the same view as Bob and have said as much on this board. So I can hardly fault his reasoning

when I defended it for the last 2 months. I am 100% behind what he did today.

Nobody cares this year that Atlanta/Islanders/Red Wings won last seasons trade deadline day.

All 3 of those teams lost good prospects and picks for what amounted to money earned from playoff dates.

If the Habs don't make the playoffs so be it. Then it helps Gainey weed out the guys who failed to lead this team.

They are in position to make it, Buffalo dealt one of their best players, so if the Habs don't make it, it's not on the goalie's shoulders.

For somebody like you who is behind Gainey don't you think he should get the benefit of the doubt?

How often does he gamble? He took a risk based on info you or I do not possess. That is conversations with

Melanson, the coaching staff in Hamilton etc. It is probably more thorough than our view of the AHL statitistical leaders.

Halak also came in last year and performed admirably in this pressure as did Price as a 19 year old AHLer.

It is a solid gamble, if he loses I like the fact that he showed the stones, something alot of us in here don't give him credit for.

Edited by Wamsley01

According to Bob, Wadell wanted 3 players in the Habs lineup tonight plus a top prospect.

He also said they have been evaluating Huet all year and decided he was not a part of the future.

I held the same view as Bob and have said as much on this board. So I can hardly fault his reasoning

Nobody cares this year that Atlanta/Islanders/Red Wings won last seasons trade deadline day.

All 3 of those teams lost good prospects and picks for what amounted to money earned from playoff dates.

:clap::clap::clap: Well said Walmsley01 :clap::clap::clap:

Thank you Bob Gainey for sticking to the plan and not selling out the pro squad by trading the regulars. To add to what Wamsley01 pointed out; The last 10 stanley cup winners DID NOT make a major trade at the deadline before the playoffs. Unless you call Brad May a major part of the Ducks run last year. (Bourque and the AVS won in his second year)

Hossa would have been nice, but not for what Pittsburg paid for a RENTAL PLAYER!

Sydney is going to have a hissy fit when his buddy Armstrong is no longer there. Hossa should do well with that line up.

Chemistry is good to say still good with the Habs, unless trading away Huet upset someone.

Just my 2 cents............

If the Habs don't make the playoffs so be it. Then it helps Gainey weed out the guys who failed to lead this team.

They are in position to make it, Buffalo dealt one of their best players, so if the Habs don't make it, it's not on the goalie's shoulders.

For somebody like you who is behind Gainey don't you think he should get the benefit of the doubt?

How often does he gamble? He took a risk based on info you or I do not possess. That is conversations with

Melanson, the coaching staff in Hamilton etc. It is probably more thorough than our view of the AHL statitistical leaders.

Halak also came in last year and performed admirably in this pressure as did Price as a 19 year old AHLer.

It is a solid gamble, if he loses I like the fact that he showed the stones, something alot of us in here don't give him credit for.

Hey, it's not like I'm enraged. But I don't see this as a sensible gamble. Why (partially) deplete your depth at a key position in the short term for a marginal long-term asset? I can't figure that out.

I don't feel the need to give Bob the 'benefit of the doubt' because I don't see this as a major move. It won't affect us any year accept this one. But making us (at least marginally) weaker this season - that's a bizarre 'gamble' in my books.

Hey, it's not like I'm enraged. But I don't see this as a sensible gamble. Why (partially) deplete your depth at a key position in the short term for a marginal long-term asset? I can't figure that out.

I don't feel the need to give Bob the 'benefit of the doubt' because I don't see this as a major move. It won't affect us any year accept this one. But making us (at least marginally) weaker this season - that's a bizarre 'gamble' in my books.

I think it has more to do with making Halak happy and seeing how these two react in this position.

It allows him to assess if he needs to pick up a Cujo type veteran next year as well.

I am fine either way, if they kept him I understood. If they traded him I understood.

Don't underestimate that 2nd round pick. Huet was walking at seasons end.

Ryder has been UFA before and signed here. His value will be realistic if we want to sign him again. We were not a seller, not looking for every pick value per asset nor were we a shoot the moon buyer.

How is what he did a gamble. Huet was not going to be the starter down the stretch. He wasn't going to get the starts in the playoffs, he wasn't going to be here next year. He was through. We got a 2nd for him, not bad.

Good Job Bob

At least us oldtimers get it.

Ryder has never been a UFA before...

I'm not buying the argument. Fine, trade away Huet for a 2nd round pick, but at least do something to keep the team playing well. Since when has a team in a good spot in the East been pegged as a seller? He could have at least acquired a guy who could take a faceoff better than Smolinski. They've only been talking about that one for ages.

Gotta say it was a typical Gainey-esque effort. I imagine in a couple of days we will hear how he bet the boat on trading for Hossa and saw it fall through. I like his drafting and vision for the team, but he's been falling over himself for years now trying and failing to land "impact" players.

Ryder has never been a UFA before...

I'm not buying the argument. Fine, trade away Huet for a 2nd round pick, but at least do something to keep the team playing well. Since when has a team in a good spot in the East been pegged as a seller? He could have at least acquired a guy who could take a faceoff better than Smolinski. They've only been talking about that one for ages.

Gotta say it was a typical Gainey-esque effort. I imagine in a couple of days we will hear how he bet the boat on trading for Hossa and saw it fall through. I like his drafting and vision for the team, but he's been falling over himself for years now trying and failing to land "impact" players.

So you would have paid the price that Atlanta wanted.

3 roster players and a top prospect? He made the right move, and he will make a splash when this team is a REAL contender.

No, I don't particularly mind losing Hossa since the Penguins literally gave up a ransom for him. I've never really agreed with Gainey's quest for a knight in shining armour anyway. I thought the fact that he offered Briere so much in the offseason was just a little unsettling.

But if you read my post I would have at least picked up a centre who can win a faceoff. There were players out there.

I don't like his fixation with impact players because he never succeeds anyway. Why not make a smart and cautious move by picking up a decent veteran?

No, I don't particularly mind losing Hossa since the Penguins literally gave up a ransom for him. I've never really agreed with Gainey's quest for a knight in shining armour anyway. I thought the fact that he offered Briere so much in the offseason was just a little unsettling.

But if you read my post I would have at least picked up a centre who can win a faceoff. There were players out there.

I don't like his fixation with impact players because he never succeeds anyway. Why not make a smart and cautious move by picking up a decent veteran?

I thought he would as well, but he didn't and it is not a big deal to me.

This is how I feel about the trade.

But Huet wasn't getting it done, and Price didn't deserve a demotion. Halak deserved a shot. So although this makes our goal-tending weaker on paper, Halak in the place of Huet could be an upgrade, and very likely is compared with Huet's recent play.

I think we'll have more success landing an impact free agent in the future. We've shown ourselves to be a good young team with a bright future, and our organization seems to be well run with character people.

Come on... this has been written in the sky already...

Habs will get turned down for every "impact player" they try to get, in the meantime the team will keep getting better...

... until in the summer of 2009 when Lecavalier becomes UFA and signs with us!

Come on... this has been written in the sky already...

Habs will get turned down for every "impact player" they try to get, in the meantime the team will keep getting better...

... until in the summer of 2009 when Lecavalier becomes UFA and signs with us!

This is really what it's all about. You know damn well that Vinny will be getting Ovechkin type money, and he will be worth every penny. The only way we can compete and kick every teams ass is 1. Hope he will desire coming here and 2. Have the cap space to give to him.

By not getting another big name, ridding ourselves of a big contract, and developing kids that are turning out pretty damn good I think we will be lining up the stars for that moment. One more season and it's Vinny time.

Maybe even sooner should he demand a trade now that Richards has been moved. A lot can happen between now and his UFA year.

Anyone consider the fact that he let Huet go because he's looking to next season and the franchise's 100th? Sure, winning this season would be great, but Price is the guy who's going to lead this team and therefore he wanted to ensure that the kid had playoff experience going into the season when this team will make its REAL attempt at the Cup. This year is just the dress rehearsal, boys.

I agree 100% with what Gainey did - trade Huet, not deal too high for a player THAT ATL REFUSED ANY TEAM TO HAVE CONTRACT EXTENSION TALKS WITH!!! That alone would probably kill it for me - espec Waddell's absurd 3-roster-player demand on top of that.

What I don't fathom is why Bob wouldn't package Huet, Ryder and something else? Tbh, it makes no sense unloading one w/o the other - especially when we call up another forward (Grabs) - getting really small at ctr, getting really crowded in the pressbox.

I can only assume that Waddell screwed Gainey, calling other clubs once he got an offer and dangling it, seeing if they would one-up it. TB, for example, or Buff could easily have done that with Richards or Campbell respectively. Otherwise, it makes no sense not to move Ryder. Unless, of course, Bob smells a ferocious hot streak in him that will carry through to the end of the season and beyond.

I said after the Pitt game that Huet was gone, and I don't have a problem with that. Bob got very, very little for him, less than I thought (a 2nd in 2009???), so it looks like he was setting the table for something he thought was pretty much a done deal.

Well, f it, in bob we trust, get ready for Vinnie!

I used to think that too, but that team has screwed up. I think anything Vinny loved about it is gone. Our play and growth will bring him here ....you'll see.

I don't think it is impossible. It is likely that he will re-sign with them, but he also knows that we'll give him everything they can offer - money, length of contract, NMC (whatever). Just got to build that domed, heated, private beach somewhere (not Ile-Ste-Helene, thanks!).

I think if we continue to be a lot better than them, develop an exciting, young, attacking team, then somewhere there is a shot. Be interesting to see what pans out.

I used to think that too, but that team has screwed up. I think anything Vinny loved about it is gone. Our play and growth will bring him here ....you'll see.

The pattern has been for impending superstar UFAs to sign with their clubs to massive long-term deals. Look at all the guys who were supposed to be UFAs this summer and are now off the market. TB will have the cap space, what with Richards gone, to again open the vault for Vinnie (or else to replace Richards with a great winger like Hossa). Presumably he's comfy in the sun and on the beach. And who knows how good or bad the Lightning will be by then.

We all *assume* he'd want to 'come home' to Quebec, but the Briere example shows what a crock that can be - these guys are just as likely to be fully aware of the pressures and craziness of being a French canadian superstar and run in the opposite direction. And even if he doesn't want to re-sign in Tampa, he will be hotly pursued by every team under the sun, including that cluster of teams that seem, for some reason, to have a magnetic hold on free agents: e.g., the Rangers, Colorado, Detroit, Philly.

Remember, to most of today's hockey players the 'mystique' of the :hlogo: and the sentimental appeal of being part of the resurgence of the greatest tradition in hockey means about as much as wiping their ass.

So in short, don't bet the rent on it.

I really dont think that alot of the big UFA magnets will be able to attract this summer. Most of them are full of overpaid talent as it is.

:hlogo:

The pattern has been for impending superstar UFAs to sign with their clubs to massive long-term deals. Look at all the guys who were supposed to be UFAs this summer and are now off the market. TB will have the cap space, what with Richards gone, to again open the vault for Vinnie (or else to replace Richards with a great winger like Hossa). Presumably he's comfy in the sun and on the beach. And who knows how good or bad the Lightning will be by then.

We all *assume* he'd want to 'come home' to Quebec, but the Briere example shows what a crock that can be - these guys are just as likely to be fully aware of the pressures and craziness of being a French canadian superstar and run in the opposite direction. And even if he doesn't want to re-sign in Tampa, he will be hotly pursued by every team under the sun, including that cluster of teams that seem, for some reason, to have a magnetic hold on free agents: e.g., the Rangers, Colorado, Detroit, Philly.

Remember, to most of today's hockey players the 'mystique' of the :hlogo: and the sentimental appeal of being part of the resurgence of the greatest tradition in hockey means about as much as wiping their ass.

So in short, don't bet the rent on it.

But.........and this is a big but. I'm not sure where the link is, I'm sure someone on these boards could find it for you, I think KOZED knows. Vinny said in his own words just a few weeks ago " It would be a dream come true to hold the cup up in Montreal" That statement alone keeps me thinking about betting the rent on it.

The habs aren't as broken as they used to be. Tampa is. The habs will only get better. I'm sure Vinny is thinking "F**CK IF WE ONLY HAD A GOALIE"

Ya the beach and sun is cool, but when you start hitting your late 20's and into your 30's family and friends become more important. He'll come home before he's old and tired. Trust me.

But.........and this is a big but. I'm not sure where the link is, I'm sure someone on these boards could find it for you, I think KOZED knows. Vinny said in his own words just a few weeks ago " It would be a dream come true to hold the cup up in Montreal" That statement alone keeps me thinking about betting the rent on it.

Um, you really need to let that quote go, it's clearly gotten to your head.

I believe it was actually something more like "winning the Cup in Montreal would be amazing", I don't think there was any reference to his dreams. It seems like an obvious comment that anyone who knew anything about how hockey-mad Montreal is would make when posed the relevant question.

Not saying I don't think he'll come here, I would love to see him in the Montreal uniform as much as the next guy. Actually, I just imagined it, him skating around in the red jersey with a blue helmet, the wildness of the crowd during his first few games, him scoring a breakaway goal in OT and the Bell centre imploding...

There's just not much to show that it's any more likely now than it has been before.

I agree 100% with what Gainey did - trade Huet, not deal too high for a player THAT ATL REFUSED ANY TEAM TO HAVE CONTRACT EXTENSION TALKS WITH!!! That alone would probably kill it for me - espec Waddell's absurd 3-roster-player demand on top of that.

What I don't fathom is why Bob wouldn't package Huet, Ryder and something else? Tbh, it makes no sense unloading one w/o the other - especially when we call up another forward (Grabs) - getting really small at ctr, getting really crowded in the pressbox.

I can only assume that Waddell screwed Gainey, calling other clubs once he got an offer and dangling it, seeing if they would one-up it. TB, for example, or Buff could easily have done that with Richards or Campbell respectively. Otherwise, it makes no sense not to move Ryder. Unless, of course, Bob smells a ferocious hot streak in him that will carry through to the end of the season and beyond.

I said after the Pitt game that Huet was gone, and I don't have a problem with that. Bob got very, very little for him, less than I thought (a 2nd in 2009???), so it looks like he was setting the table for something he thought was pretty much a done deal.

Well, f it, in bob we trust, get ready for Vinnie!

The reason why Gainey only traded Huet and not Ryder is rather simple.

By NOT trading Ryder, Gainey essentially picked up a natural goal scorer with a couple of 30 goal seasons on his back (albeit a streaky one). IF Ryder comes out of his funk, the team is better. If he doesn't, so be it. If someone offered anything substantial for Ryder I think Gainey would have considered it. I don't think that anyone did though seeing as to how crappy a season he's been having. Bottom line is that the team has so much more to gain if Ryder gets his act together and starts scoring.

Huet on the other hand, whenever in a pressure situation, has just not performed. Carolina 2 yrs ago, Toronto last year, crucial games this year. Gainey knew he wasn't going to trust his team to him, so instead of having him on the bench, he figured he'd get whatever he could instead of letting him walk at years end. Maybe Price hasn't been rock steady, but you know he's a winner. And lets be honnest, Price has had his back up against the wall before and come through; Cristobal, as much as I love and respect him, hasn't.

You can't compare impending UFA's without considering the intangibles they bring to this team. Ryder has sucked this year; he might get hot though, thus resurecting his love affair with Habs fans world wide. However, even if he doesn't, u substitute him with a youngster, loose him in the off-season and your no worse off. Things with goalies aren't as simple. If your goalie tanks, ur screwed. Huet has had ample opportunities to provide his teammates, coaches and fans with the confidence which is needed in order for us all to trust him. Guess what, he hasn't. Soooo...instead of holding on to him with the connotation that "he's an experienced goalie, he's 32, he's been to an all star game and he's won the Crozier award," put your faith in the youth. Price and Halak have outperformed at every level they've played over the past two years.

Cardinal Rule #1 in when investing is to "Always go against the trend." When EVERYONE is buying, and overspending; SELL. Either by chance or by choice, Gainey has been following this.

Everybody's been abosrbed by who we didn't get. Get over it. This is a hell of a team we have on our hands. A team which gets to stick together and prove that they are for real.

Now stop bitchin' and support this team!!!

Go Habs Go!

Edited by Helmethead