Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

:wacko: I was bored so i went to see Eklund delirium.

Apparently Bob would trade Komisarek right to the Sens.

Yeah even Grabovski find a way to hurt us imagine Komi in the same division.

And we are 24 hours away from Lecavalier in Montreal...going to Pierre-Elliot Trudeau airport

and go back to south it's so friggin cold here.

Well, Komisarek's agent has as good as confirmed that Komi won't be returning, or at least that he's going to follow the money. Time to prepare offers for Oduya, Beauchemin and Morris.

If we don't find a guy like this as a replacement, God help us all. One horrible weakness (at C) is possible to work around. Having a second one on D isn't. Not while intending to play a defensive system, playing in front of a goalie that's learning on the job.

Well, Komisarek's agent has as good as confirmed that Komi won't be returning, or at least that he's going to follow the money. Time to prepare offers for Oduya, Beauchemin and Morris.

If we don't find a guy like this as a replacement, God help us all. One horrible weakness (at C) is possible to work around. Having a second one on D isn't. Not while intending to play a defensive system, playing in front of a goalie that's learning on the job.

If we can get 2 of those players, it would make losing Mike slightly more bearable.

Man, I hate losing players for nothing... especially since I fully expect Komi to regain his form this upcoming season.

If we can get 2 of those players, it would make losing Mike slightly more bearable.

Man, I hate losing players for nothing... especially since I fully expect Komi to regain his form this upcoming season.

I think Oduya + Beauchemin > Komisarek + Schneider. But the chances of getting two of those first guys are slim. It's more likely going to be something like Beauchemin + Schneider (and even here, we probably got lucky).

I fear that the Habs have fallen back into the perennial fringe playoff team bunch. Few players want to come here. Few of the players we develop want to stay here. We don't get any top 10 picks. Our hopes basically lie on Price and a whole bunch of young players developing to their utter max, or Gainey somehow producing a superstar out of nothing, sort of like Nonis did with Luongo, or what Dallas did with Ribeiro.

I think Oduya + Beauchemin > Komisarek + Schneider. But the chances of getting two of those first guys are slim. It's more likely going to be something like Beauchemin + Schneider (and even here, we probably got lucky).

I fear that the Habs have fallen back into the perennial fringe playoff team bunch. Few players want to come here. Few of the players we develop want to stay here. We don't get any top 10 picks. Our hopes basically lie on Price and a whole bunch of young players developing to their utter max, or Gainey somehow producing a superstar out of nothing, sort of like Nonis did with Luongo, or what Dallas did with Ribeiro.

yes. And the wonderful crowd booo him...

I'll gladly take Beauchemin, a d-man with better mobility, passing skills, and some toughness, as well as a proven winner, when Komisarek walks. Pairing him on the top four is fine.

If we got Oduya as well, that would be starting something special. Not counting on it, of course.

There are always trade routes, and surely the trade winds blow heavy in the upper regions of the Bell ctr this summer...

It's depressing news. BTH is quite right. If we can't sign top UFAs, and we can't re-sign top players who we ourselves developed, where does that leave us? I'd assumed that part of the plan was to develop a 'Montreal Canadiens culture' of players who bleed red white and red. Komi walking will be decisive proof that - Markov aside - Bob's passive approach to negotiating with core young players is not working. You need to identify your core and show loyalty to it if you expect to get loyalty back. Telling those guys 'we'll wait and see' doesn't cut it in a league where players are more highly mobile than ever before.

And why are we so optimistic about signing Beauchemin or Oduya? Why would *they* be particularly motivated to play for us?

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's depressing news. BTH is quite right. If we can't sign top UFAs, and we can't re-sign top players who we ourselves developed, where does that leave us? I'd assumed that part of the plan was to develop a 'Montreal Canadiens culture' of players who bleed red white and red. Komi walking will be decisive proof that - Markov aside - Bob's passive approach to negotiating with core young players is not working. You need to identify your core and show loyalty to it if you expect to get loyalty back. Telling those guys 'we'll wait and see' doesn't cut it in a league where players are more highly mobile than ever before.

And why are we so optimistic about signing Beauchemin or Oduya? Why would *they* be particularly motivated to play for us?

ahh to hell with it. lets give up. it ain't worth it. why bother they won't come. :wacko:

Well, for whatever reason, I never thought that Komisarek would be this intangible, untouchable Scott Stevens clone - though I liked him a lot and thought he would be an excellent captain or assistant captain one day. I even admired him in the playoffs in terms of effort and attitude. However, no amount of effort or attitude can mask his weaknesses. And those weaknesses are some of what BG has identified as needing to improve: better puckhandling at the back.

I'd love for them to be able to keep him, but within reason of the cap: face up to it, he will be drastically overpaid by some team more interested in marketing than actual success (Islanders). We cannot tie up 5 or 6 million in a d man with zero offensive ability with:

1) our massive weaknesses at forward, particularly centre

2) the cap, and the lowering cap next year

3) the potential of our up-and-coming defensive corps, with rugged defenders, puck movers, you name it

So Komi walks. So we pitch guys like Beauchemin, Oduya, Morris, maybe Jay Bo, whoever. What can we offer?

-play with the best d-man in the East

-play for a city that breathes and seethes hockey, and only hockey; and for the Montreal Canadiens

-play for a coach with a pretty successful record, experienced, and who will install a strong system

-money. lots of money.

etc etc etc

We could match or better any offer he will get. But you don't keep your players - even your home-grown ones - if it hampers your overall picture unreasonably. If he gets 3.5 offers only, maybe we could offer 4. But count on some idiot opening with 5, then get ready to unstitch those number 8's off your jerseys.

So back to rumours: I didn't see the Avalanche play this year, Laperriere turned them down. Any gas left in his tank?

Are you basing this on Pat Hickey's article, where he said this:

"Russian defenceman Alexei Yemelin has decided to stay in Siberia and agent Matt Keator all but confirmed that Mike Komisarek is moving on. When he was asked if there was any progress on talks with the Canadiens, he replied that it wasn't July 1 yet, that's when Komisarek becomes an unrestricted free agent."

"It's not July 1 yet" is the reason we've given up hope on signing Komisarek? I've seen a lot of negotiations that were supposedly not close that got closed out in time. Pittsburgh and Orpik last year was the most recent example... Orpik was going to jet because he hated Therrien with a passion. Bouillon with the Habs a couple years back was the most recent example for Montreal that I could think of. If Bob wants him back, he'll put forth more attractive offers. It's almost certain that as of June 12, he won't have tabled his final offer to Mike. Let's have this play out before we throw ourselves off the cliff just yet.

He pretty much says that Komisarek is going to wait until July 1st passes to sign a contract. Which means he's waiting to see offers from other teams. Whose offers we can't/shouldn't top.

He pretty much says that Komisarek is going to wait until July 1st passes to sign a contract. Which means he's waiting to see offers from other teams. Whose offers we can't/shouldn't top.

No, he was implying that there's still time until July 1. He didn't say he was waiting until July 1. I remember seeing the quote from Keator from another source, it didn't have "that's when he becomes a UFA" tagged on the end. Hickey should not have wrote that as a continuous sentence, but ended the sentence at 'it wasn't July 1 yet.' Then, start a second sentence that simply read: 'July 1 is the date when Komisarek becomes a UFA.'

Poor writing by Hickey. He never once formally quoted Keator's words, he paraphrased and added the UFA bit at the end.

as long as lucic is in the league, there will be a shadow over komi.his play has regressed. did not have a particular mean streak about him. maybe its best he moves on. we won't mind the inept passes in the defensive zone.i really like komi, he s from long island, whats not to like about that. but his play this past season, coupled with the much publicized beat down from lucic, didn't help his cause. on a side note, bgl should have unloaded on him, even if lucic didn't want to go.gotta even the score.

as long as lucic is in the league, there will be a shadow over komi.his play has regressed. did not have a particular mean streak about him. maybe its best he moves on. we won't mind the inept passes in the defensive zone.i really like komi, he s from long island, whats not to like about that. but his play this past season, coupled with the much publicized beat down from lucic, didn't help his cause. on a side note, bgl should have unloaded on him, even if lucic didn't want to go.gotta even the score.

That's bullshit. 1 open-ice hit on Lucic by Komisarek and his carreer might be over.

Can't stand this Lucic shadow anymore.

I agree that its probably best for Komi to move on, unfortunately. The Habs rarely get to pick in the top 10 and when they do they dont seem to be able to do it right anyway. For Komi's size, he has to be the biggest whimp in the entire league. Habs fans seem to have a bromance thing going on with him. IMO Komi is barely a 3 or 4 dman but the majority of Habs fan talk about him like he's a bonifide #2 and a possible #1. :wacko:

If the Sens sign Komi that would suck. Every Habs except for BGL would be scared shitless to have Komi repeatedly push them. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why do people think Komi is "tough"? Thats the best punch line I've read on this board in a long time. Do you really think Komi is going to hug Lucic to death? Seriously though how do you instigate a fight and then get surprised when the other person retaliates and throws a punch at you? Komi instigated the fight in Game 4 with Lucic and was dropped when Lucic punched him 1st, as if Lucic had sucker punched him. Thats a skill in itself. Did Komi really think Lucic would just stand there and let him dummy him? It definitely looked like that was Komi's plan.

"Oh but Komi blocks shots", umm ya but so could a properly placed pylon. :lol:

This whole Lucic thing is such a load of crap. His play regressed because he was afraid of re-injury, not because he's afraid of Lucic or whatever.

Also, when has it ever been Komi's job to fight? He's not a goon. Just because a player is tough doesn't mean he has to be a boxer. He blocks the shots and delivers the crushing hits. He's also not afraid to be in the middle of the scrums (in fact, I think he likes it there). Komi is one tough SOB.

Edited by ForumGhost

Dunno if it has been posted, couldnt find it..

Alex Tanguay's agent, Robert Sauve, spoke with Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey on Wednesday to discuss the impending free agent's future with the club.

In an interview with French sports radio station CKAC, Sauve confirmed he had a conversation with Gainey about his client.

"I had a discussion with Bob Gainey yesterday and the Canadiens currently have another priority," Sauve told CKAC. "We'll wait for that priority [to be taken care of] and then the Canadiens will speak to us about Alex.

Sauve indicated that Gainey didn't say whether or not the Habs have interest in re-signing Tanguay, who can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Tanguay appears interested in inking a new contract with the Canadiens, as Sauve alluded to, but negotiations won't start until later this month.

"The only thing Bob told us was that presently he has a higher priority right now, and then we'll talk," Sauve said.

Tanguay isn't the only impending UFA the Canadiens have to worry about. Forwards Alex Kovalev, Saku Koivu and Robert Lang, and defenseman Mike Komisarek, are all in need of new contracts.

The fourthperiod

Dunno if it has been posted, couldnt find it..

Alex Tanguay's agent, Robert Sauve, spoke with Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey on Wednesday to discuss the impending free agent's future with the club.

In an interview with French sports radio station CKAC, Sauve confirmed he had a conversation with Gainey about his client.

"I had a discussion with Bob Gainey yesterday and the Canadiens currently have another priority," Sauve told CKAC. "We'll wait for that priority [to be taken care of] and then the Canadiens will speak to us about Alex.

Sauve indicated that Gainey didn't say whether or not the Habs have interest in re-signing Tanguay, who can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Tanguay appears interested in inking a new contract with the Canadiens, as Sauve alluded to, but negotiations won't start until later this month.

"The only thing Bob told us was that presently he has a higher priority right now, and then we'll talk," Sauve said.

Tanguay isn't the only impending UFA the Canadiens have to worry about. Forwards Alex Kovalev, Saku Koivu and Robert Lang, and defenseman Mike Komisarek, are all in need of new contracts.

The fourthperiod

kinda hard to read into, but gainey has about 11 priorities right now.to me, tanguay is nothing special, and if he walks, no big deal.good playmaker, yes, but passes(pardon the pun) up too many chances.

kinda hard to read into, but gainey has about 11 priorities right now.to me, tanguay is nothing special, and if he walks, no big deal.good playmaker, yes, but passes(pardon the pun) up too many chances.

Wow, do you and I ever think differently! I think Tanguay snould be the first forward they sign. He was great whenever he played. Him and Lang were the two best offensive forwards on the team.

Wow, do you and I ever think differently! I think Tanguay snould be the first forward they sign. He was great whenever he played. Him and Lang were the two best offensive forwards on the team.

he is definitely our best long term ufa since he is only 30 and should have 5 or 6 good years ahead of him. I would think he would be a pretty high priority however I don't think he is worth 5 mill + so he is probably not going to be here.

he is definitely our best long term ufa since he is only 30 and should have 5 or 6 good years ahead of him. I would think he would be a pretty high priority however I don't think he is worth 5 mill + so he is probably not going to be here.

If we aren't going to give him 5 mill, who is? Not many teams have the cap space (and ability to spend to the cap) that we do.