Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Boyd needs re-entry waivers at all times, be it now, after the deadline, playoffs, etc. Closest recent example is Mathieu Schneider, dealt to Phoenix at the deadline and then put through re-entry afterwards. And yes, Boyd had a hat trick this morning, his first points in 6 games. (Still looking for that elusive first assist too oddly enough...)

Ah I see!!!

thanks B!

Boyd needs re-entry waivers at all times, be it now, after the deadline, playoffs, etc. Closest recent example is Mathieu Schneider, dealt to Phoenix at the deadline and then put through re-entry afterwards. And yes, Boyd had a hat trick this morning, his first points in 6 games. (Still looking for that elusive first assist too oddly enough...)

I'm reading that Boyd is back on waivers. Dlbair can you check it out and see if it is true?

It's quiet for now but I suspect the rumours will pick up after the break. Here's the latest from Spector:

Yvon Pedneault suggested the Montreal Canadiens lack depth in skilled veterans to compete well against the Eastern Conference's better teams. He noted New Jersey's Jason Arnott would be an interesting trade candidate as he would bring imposing size which the Habs need. Pedneault also noted Florida center Stephen Weiss, who played for Habs head coach Jacques Martin when he coached the Panthers, suggesting he might be available at the trade deadline but wondered if he could help address Montreal's need for offensive depth.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Weiss is also a small forward, something the Habs already have in abundance. As for Arnott, he's got a no-movement clause which he might not be willing to waive to go to Montreal, plus he's also 36 with a lengthy injury history which has hampered his performance. The Canadiens should avoid Arnott and look elsewhere, but if he's their only viable option they must avoid overpaying for him, provided of course he'd be willing to play for the Habs.

Lacking depth in skilled veterans? I could've swore Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez, and Plekanec were all skilled and last I checked, all veterans too. It's one thing to say the Habs could use more (I think that's a legit argument) but lacking it? Not sure I'm buying that. Good note on Arnott too, the NMC could come into play, especially if he's planning to retire at year's end like some have speculated. He wanted to go back to the Devils, he might want to retire a member of that team.

http://spectorshockey.net/2011/01/latest-on-the-flames-canadiens-blues-and-oilers/

I wrote about the must have and must not have variables during a game...

2 of the "must haves" were not met and one important "must not have" was reached during that flyers game... and thus our loss

But I must add another variable or sub-bullet to those..

6) We need garbage goal ready and "effective" players in each line. which means talent and a lot more size in the crease.

I recall the flyers scored 2 "garbage goal" that night. one of which was Carter's, and I clearly recall how he didn't budge when our D pushed him and he still scored. So this is possibly the most clear example where size is needed.

We now only have Darche and Pacioretty that have been successful at scoring those types of goals (others have tried but failed)

I for one am a "we ARNOTT interested" because of his age, but he will provide that size up in the crease (provided he has the guts) and he may be able to score as many garbage goals as Darche can.

We need Big gutsy soft handed players playing in each of our lines! get him for a year, and start recruiting more

Edited by CoRvInA

I wrote about the must have and must not have variables during a game...

2 of the "must haves" were not met and one important "must not have" was reached during that flyers game... and thus our loss

But I must add another variable or sub-bullet to those..

6) We need garbage goal ready and "effective" players in each line. which means talent and a lot more size in the crease.

I recall the flyers scored 2 "garbage goal" that night. one of which was Carter's, and I clearly recall how he didn't budge when our D pushed him and he still scored. So this is possibly the most clear example where size is needed.

We now only have Darche and Pacioretty that have been successful at scoring those types of goals (others have tried but failed)

I for one am a "we ARNOTT interested" because of his age, but he will provide that size up in the crease (provided he has the guts) and he may be able to score as many garbage goals as Darche can.

We need Big gutsy soft handed players playing in each of our lines! get him for a year, and start recruiting more

You're right that we need more guys like that. The problem lies in acquiring them. Who exactly are we supposed to trade in return for such players? Louis Leblanc? Josh Gorges? It's hard to see how moving young assets or high picks is the right move for our team. So that leaves UFAs. Are there any power forwards coming available this summer? Can we afford them?

That's the kicker. I think we ALL agree with your diagnosis. It's the cure that's the hard part. If it were simple, the Habs would have done it long ago.

You're right that we need more guys like that. The problem lies in acquiring them. Who exactly are we supposed to trade in return for such players? Louis Leblanc? Josh Gorges? It's hard to see how moving young assets or high picks is the right move for our team. So that leaves UFAs. Are there any power forwards coming available this summer? Can we afford them?

That's the kicker. I think we ALL agree with your diagnosis. It's the cure that's the hard part. If it were simple, the Habs would have done it long ago.

Absolutely! but this is as much a diagnosis as is a cure... specifying what "Niche" is available and required for this team and ANY team for that matter.

I now see why they went after Eller and Boyd. I also see why they made Pouliot Lapierre and Latendresse go crazy... trying to fit them into this VAcant Niche.

Take Pacioretty for example he may have been among the top of poack in the AHL, along with Desharnais... YEt at the beginning of the season you could say that Boyd Eller and Pacioretty value was pretty equal... therefor getting a player to fit that role is tough but not impossible... they need better scouts and continue pushing and trying out new players to fit the mold.

Edited by CoRvInA

Reading that Bob McKenzie mentioned on the Team 990 this morning that the Habs may be interested in Ottawa's Chris Phillips. He has an expiring deal and a NTC and there's been a lot of speculation that he'd just go back to the Sens next season. At $3.5 million, he in theory could be acquired without moving a roster player in return, though that wouldn't leave a lot left in terms of space to send later on. Any interest in him, or should the Habs set their sights on a forward instead, or a d-man that's more of a long-term solution?

Reading that Bob McKenzie mentioned on the Team 990 this morning that the Habs may be interested in Ottawa's Chris Phillips. He has an expiring deal and a NTC and there's been a lot of speculation that he'd just go back to the Sens next season. At $3.5 million, he in theory could be acquired without moving a roster player in return, though that wouldn't leave a lot left in terms of space to send later on. Any interest in him, or should the Habs set their sights on a forward instead, or a d-man that's more of a long-term solution?

I think Philips would be a nice insurance policy should any of our D go down with injury. Because let's face it, if we need to rely on Picard as a regular D, we're not going to go very far. I think this acquisition would allow us to rest a few veterans down the stretch, and Philips should fit in well with JM's system.

That being said, a lot of teams are going to being looking to pick up a (relatively) cheap experienced D-man, and although Murray is a horrible GM, I don't think we'll want to surrender what he'll be asking.

I think Philips would be a nice insurance policy should any of our D go down with injury. Because let's face it, if we need to rely on Picard as a regular D, we're not going to go very far. I think this acquisition would allow us to rest a few veterans down the stretch, and Philips should fit in well with JM's system.

That being said, a lot of teams are going to being looking to pick up a (relatively) cheap experienced D-man, and although Murray is a horrible GM, I don't think we'll want to surrender what he'll be asking.

The fact he apparently has said he wishes to stay in the general area if he's dealt limits the suitors at least. On the other hand, dealing a face of the franchise (Phillips has been there for ages) to a division rival won't exactly help the poor optics in the city as it is.

Eklund says Habs are pushing hard for Regehr. Take it with a grain of salt considering the source, but I want it to be true so much...

I too, am for getting the Brazilian!

I like any rumour that has the Habs in pursuit of a rock-solid second-pairing defenceman. This team is built on a defensive system and a D-corps that, when healthy, is under-appreciated. The stronger we are there, the better-positioned we will be both for the stretch run and for the partial retooling on the back end that is inevitable this summer. Add in Markov's propensity for catastrophic injuries and the need to add to the back end becomes even more pronounced. So I'm all for this direction.

I like any rumour that has the Habs in pursuit of a rock-solid second-pairing defenceman. This team is built on a defensive system and a D-corps that, when healthy, is under-appreciated. The stronger we are there, the better-positioned we will be both for the stretch run and for the partial retooling on the back end that is inevitable this summer. Add in Markov's propensity for catastrophic injuries and the need to add to the back end becomes even more pronounced. So I'm all for this direction.

Barring further injuries, I can't see the Habs acquiring a really significant player by the end of the season.

• Markov, Hamrlik, Gill and Wisniewski are all UFA. Those are four d-men I'd like to have back but there's no room for them all.

• We probably want to have 2 spots open for Subban and Weber to in the top 7.

They already have a lot of internal D options for next season. If I were Gauthier, I wouldn't want to spend picks and prospects for a rental when the Habs are probably going to make the playoffs without this player and still probably not going to get past the second round even with this player.. I could maybe see Gauthier acquiring somebody like Jim Vandermeer (basically, a token veteran that can play in case of emergency) for a 7th round pick.

At forward, there's actually quite a lot of depth now that Eller, Pacioretty and Desharnais have become regulars in the line up. I could see them picking up a Dom Moore type like last season. Maybe Niklas Hagman, as was discussed a few weeks ago. I don't see a need to trade assets when we're fine the way we are.

Barring further injuries, I can't see the Habs acquiring a really significant player by the end of the season.

• Markov, Hamrlik, Gill and Wisniewski are all UFA. Those are four d-men I'd like to have back but there's no room for them all.

They already have a lot of internal D options for next season. If I were Gauthier, I wouldn't want to spend picks and prospects for a rental when the Habs are probably going to make the playoffs without this player and still probably not going to get past the second round even with this player.. I could maybe see Gauthier acquiring somebody like Jim Vandermeer (basically, a token veteran that can play in case of emergency) for a 7th round pick.

At forward, there's actually quite a lot of depth now that Eller, Pacioretty and Desharnais have become regulars in the line up. I could see them picking up a Dom Moore type like last season. Maybe Niklas Hagman, as was discussed a few weeks ago. I don't see a need to trade assets when we're fine the way we are.

WTF ? Everyone healthy/back next year or not, Subban will crack top 4, not top 7.

WTF ? Everyone healthy/back next year or not, Subban will crack top 4, not top 7.

Never know with Martin. ;) Subban was our 7th D (benched) for 5 games so far this season.

I kind of meant Weber top 7, Subban a bit higher. Either way, both must be in the line up next year.

edit - and right now you could argue that Subban is #5 behind Markov, Wiz, Gorges and Hamrlik but whatever, it doesn't really make a difference. Subban will be back next season; these guys might not be.

Edited by BTH

Setting aside the question of fitting a new acquisition under the cap for this season, it's the very fact that we could lose any or all of those four that suggests to me that it's a good idea to add more quality D now, if we can do so. Like I said, it helps us now and gives us more options going forward.

Setting aside the question of fitting a new acquisition under the cap for this season, it's the very fact that we could lose any or all of those four that suggests to me that it's a good idea to add more quality D now, if we can do so. Like I said, it helps us now and gives us more options going forward.

Absolutely true Chicoutimi,

seeing our present D-core all dandy-rosie is ludicrous.

1)Hammer wants at least 4 mil a year if he has to play like the first Dman again so my guess is "Bye bye"

2)Wiz will want 4mil a year and if PG can't sign him now before the season is over then chances are that its "bye bye"

3)If Markov isn't upset with Mtl he may sign with a hometown discount for around 4mil a year, otherwise Washington will have him

4)Gill needs to sign for no more than 1.6mil and add more good Dmen

A player like Regehr or any other number 4 dman wants to play in a team where he is number 4! not number 6 nor number 1 (if he is paid like a number 4). So I see adding another Dman like this can only aid us with this season AND the next.

Edited by CoRvInA

It is really tough to say whether or not PG will make a move, and if he does, what kind of move. You can argue both sides what is needed more, a forward or defenseman. Although two d-man are done for the year, the Wiz replaced one body sufficiently and Weber is playing fine replacing the other. The AHL call ups are also doing a good job filling in when needed on forward. But I think the safe bet is to say that PG will only make a minor deal or just remain status quo. Just imagine if Markov was in the lineup.....