Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The Markov we see today is not the guy who was the General prior to the knee operations. I have always been a supporter of his but age catches up to all of us. He is simply getting worn out. Is he still a good serviceable player Yes but at what cost. There are 2 types of cost when you overpay for a player, one is that you limit what you could pay another player who may be more valuable to you, the second is that if you are paying a guy 6 mill a year he better be playing. This mean younger guys get sat on the bench and take longer to develop. They get frustrated and become problems in the locker room and get traded. I don't care how much of Molson's money we spend, hence why I don't care about MT contract. It means nothing cap wise. But we have limited cap space and in the past we have had to suffer for contracts that were inflated. This hinders us in the pursuit of the cup. I like that they get to the playoffs but I WANT A FORKING CUP. and yes that is affected by cap space in a big way.

The Markov we see today is not the guy who was the General prior to the knee operations. I have always been a supporter of his but age catches up to all of us. He is simply getting worn out. Is he still a good serviceable player Yes but at what cost. There are 2 types of cost when you overpay for a player, one is that you limit what you could pay another player who may be more valuable to you, the second is that if you are paying a guy 6 mill a year he better be playing. This mean younger guys get sat on the bench and take longer to develop. They get frustrated and become problems in the locker room and get traded. I don't care how much of Molson's money we spend, hence why I don't care about MT contract. It means nothing cap wise. But we have limited cap space and in the past we have had to suffer for contracts that were inflated. This hinders us in the pursuit of the cup. I like that they get to the playoffs but I WANT A FORKING CUP. and yes that is affected by cap space in a big way.

You know what? That actually makes sense.... considering our recent history with huge contracts hindering us with guys not even playing or contributing *cough Markov injured/Gomez futile. Cap issues hand cuffed us for years, and this is huge gamble for anything more than two years.... if only our young guys were ready....still don't see how we can let Markov walk. I'd rather sign and trade him, than let him walk.

Eklund has the Habs listing Jussi Jokinen as a "priority," whatever that means. I like the potential deal, but who goes? Bourque and Gionta would be my guess.

He is UFA isnt he and would just fill Vanek's spot on LW?

(but if anyone will take Bourque...please anyone take him)

A tidbit on Gionta out of New Jersey:

Bartlett also represents former Devil Brian Gionta, who like younger brother Stephen is a potential UFA. The Canadiens have expressed a desire to re-sign Brian Gionta, who has served as their captain since 2010, and contract talks have picked up in intensity this week.

“We’re just kind of in discussions and the next probably few days will be critical to see (what happens),” Bartlett said. “We just kind of got serious about it in the last day or two, so we’ll kind of see what kind of progress we make on that one and whether he becomes a July 1 guy.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_will_wait_before_deciding_whether_to_use_compliance_buyout_hope_to_re-sign_potential_ufas/

He is UFA isnt he and would just fill Vanek's spot on LW?

(but if anyone will take Bourque...please anyone take him)

I've been thinking Jokinen might be a UFA fit for us for a while...he seems like a useful player, not likely to be off-the-chart expensive, can play different positions and can therefore help out on our weak RW side, is versatile, responsible, can move up and down the lineup, etc.. A solid 20-goal, 40-50 point W. Seems almost prototypical of the roll-three-line approach that's marked the Bergevin era. Then again, he isn't particularly big or physical...sigh. http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?2439

I don't really care if he's big or physical. Next year, we'll have Prust, Weise, Moen, Tinordi, and a goon in the lineup to take care of the nonsense. Guys like Subban, Emelin, and Bournival are also physical. That's enough for me.

His shootout prowess will net us 2-3 more points next year alone.

Isn't Jokinen a solid two way player that has an offensive upside?

Yep. Defensively responsible smurfs and Euros are what the modern Habs are all about.

A cool wrinkle with the new CBA is that players can start talking to teams a week before hand. So the rumor mill will be going nuts. That will be very entertaining.

Interesting. Explain why - ?

He's small, soft, doesn't really go in the corners, and while he has slick hands, he doesn't consistently use them. I suppose as a bottom-6 guy he's okay, but really, we already have Bournival, and while the latter's hands are made more of stone, he plays harder. I'd be really disappointed picking up Jokinen - other than watching him in the shoot-out.

Going with the theme of Craig McTavish spotted in Montreal 10 days before the draft----- S. Gagner and a pick for J Gorges and DD

I like Sam Gagner but no thank you. Desharnais is a much better player and if we're dropping Desharnais and Gorges it should be for a winger.

If Edmonton and Montreal are talking about anything, I wonder. Both teams are missing second round picks (Edmonton is missing their third round pick as well). Edmonton has defensive forward depth issues and Montreal has a very expendable Travis Moen (his NTC has expired). Edmonton can't afford to send a draft pick for Moen, so I'm thinking they either send a prospect (I doubt we could get Mitch Moroz from them but boy would he be perfect. Same goes to Slepyshev if he ever comes to North America) or it'd be part of a bigger package to maybe get Yakupov out of Edmonton. I doubt that though.

I like Sam Gagner but no thank you. Desharnais is a much better player and if we're dropping Desharnais and Gorges it should be for a winger.

If Edmonton and Montreal are talking about anything, I wonder. Both teams are missing second round picks (Edmonton is missing their third round pick as well). Edmonton has defensive forward depth issues and Montreal has a very expendable Travis Moen (his NTC has expired). Edmonton can't afford to send a draft pick for Moen, so I'm thinking they either send a prospect (I doubt we could get Mitch Moroz from them but boy would he be perfect. Same goes to Slepyshev if he ever comes to North America) or it'd be part of a bigger package to maybe get Yakupov out of Edmonton. I doubt that though.

if that pick is their first rounder this year, i'd be all over that.

Going with the theme of Craig McTavish spotted in Montreal 10 days before the draft----- S. Gagner and a pick for J Gorges and DD

Not a Gagner fan.

A cool wrinkle with the new CBA is that players can start talking to teams a week before hand. So the rumor mill will be going nuts. That will be very entertaining.

Technically, they can talk but they cannot formally discuss contract terms. Otherwise, the team can get dinged with a hefty tampering charge. This was in place last year as well and the rumour mill was no busier than usual.

Anyone know if we're in on Jiri Sekac?

I'm not sure but indications are that Philly, Ottawa, and New Jersey seem to have the edge. I can understand Ottawa and New Jersey, not so much Philly and speculation was last week that they were in the lead. Money is going to be a wash (2 year ELC, max signing bonus, max salary, likely max general bonuses) so it's probably going to come down to the fit in terms of playing time. I don't think Montreal has too many openings for him.

Pierre LeBrun's column today had a tidbit on Markov:

Veteran blue-liner Andrei Markov of the Montreal Canadiens remains unsigned as the clock ticks toward July 1. "No news. I don't expect anything to happen any time soon," Markov's agent, former NHLer Sergei Berezin, told ESPN.com via text Wednesday morning. "But you never know."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31513/rumblings-dan-boyle-is-back-on-the-market

My feeling is Bergevin doesn't see the priority in signing Markov at the moment. He knows he needs a top 6 forward and is probably trying to work a trade to shore up the entire forward crop. The D will figure itself out. Subban can be signed later, and if they decide to bring back Weaver, they can wait until July 1st. Markov wants to stay in Montreal so Bergevin probably focuses on other areas of the club first.

My feeling is Bergevin doesn't see the priority in signing Markov at the moment. He knows he needs a top 6 forward and is probably trying to work a trade to shore up the entire forward crop. The D will figure itself out. Subban can be signed later, and if they decide to bring back Weaver, they can wait until July 1st. Markov wants to stay in Montreal so Bergevin probably focuses on other areas of the club first.

Or maybe 3 years at 6 million is too rich for his blood.

Or maybe 3 years at 6 million is too rich for his blood.

I think right now it is. Bergevin likely wants other pieces to fall into place first. Hence the reason why he hasn't communicated with Markov 's camp.

Not sure about that, I think Markov is his biggest ? this off-season, with UFA winger being a close 2nd and Subban, Eller, Gionta, Weaver are likely already slotted into salary structure.

Hope he sticks to his guns and gets a 2 year deal with Markov\and if Markov still doing fine when he is 38, give him another year so he can retire a Hab.

Personally, I don't think we "owe" Markov anything, he's been well rewarded for being a Hab. Bergevin will be tough, and get what he wants to some degree in a contract, I'm sure of it.

I'm not looking forward to just having Markov on the back end this season, but looking forward to having him signed, at good value, on a shorter than 3 year deal, so that he is still an asset to us, whether it be as a veteran leader, or to be used in a trade for a good young player, or whatever. At this point, maybe he is still too good to just let walk, at least if he wants to stay here and isn't unreasonable in his contract negotiations.

If he sticks to his 3 year demands, and big cap hit, do any of you think Bergevin maybe just says cya?