Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

MTL D Josh Gorges' name is out there in trade talk. TOR made a pitch for Gorges but no CDN team is on list of 15 teams he can be dealt to.— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) June 28, 2014

I'm positive he'll be moved

I sure hope that means MB's also about to sign Weaver. I like Mike Weaver because he's cheap and can do most of what Josh Gorges can do. We might not need both of them.

I also worry about PK...he wasn't nearly as good while Gorges was hurt. They play well together.

Guest Stogey24

I sure hope that means MB's also about to sign Weaver. I like Mike Weaver because he's cheap and can do most of what Josh Gorges can do. We might not need both of them.

I also worry about PK...he wasn't nearly as good while Gorges was hurt. They play well together.

Weaver wants too much$. I think everyone would regret the signing after they see a full 82 games season from Weaver. There is a reason he was traded for a 5th rounder. Not to mention the fact he's 36 and has hands that are stonier than a gravel pit.

Does Weaver want much of a raise? He made 1.1M last year. I was thinking we give him 1.5. His lack of "soft hands" doesn't matter, it's not his job to score. Anyway, the trick, if we trade Gorges, is to get someone just as defensively reliable as Josh is in return. That's not an easy task...he's one of the better stay-at-home D's in the league.

Guest Stogey24

Does Weaver want much of a raise? He made 1.1M last year. I was thinking we give him 1.5. His lack of "soft hands" doesn't matter, it's not his job to score. Anyway, the trick, if we trade Gorges, is to get someone just as defensively reliable as Josh is in return. That's not an easy task...he's one of the better stay-at-home D's in the league.

When a player can't even make an outlet pass because his hand are made of stone then yes it matters. I watched Weaver turn pucks over countless time that should have been a routine pass.

Yes, hopefully something can get done.

The habs have entirely too many LH D, and not enough RH D.

My thinking is Beaulieu makes the team next year and possibly Tinordi. It's time to make room:

Markov Subban

Emelin Tinordi

Beaulieu Weaver

I think Pateryn gets a long look at training camp and possibly another veteran gets signed (Willie Mitchell).

I'm getting the feeling Bergevin sees how much value there is right now in defencemen and is ready to take advantage of said market with guys like Gorges, Beaulieu and Tinordi. He won't trade all three but he's going to use one of them to get what he wants for the forwards.

My thinking is Beaulieu makes the team next year and possibly Tinordi. It's time to make room:

Markov Subban

Emelin Tinordi

Beaulieu Weaver

I think Pateryn gets a long look at training camp and possibly another veteran gets signed (Willie Mitchell).

This is a good set of defense pairings if you want to allow the most goals of any team in hockey.

(1) You can't put Markov and Subban together. Markov is decent defensively, but he's not good enough to cover the risks that we need Subban to take to be effective. Furthermore, we want Markov chipping in, not hanging back and staying at home.

(2) You can't be training green D-men on two different pairings. Both Tinordi and Beaulieu are liabilities on the ice at the moment. You have to play them so they learn, but you can't dress both at once. It means we simply don't have a reliable defensive line pairing.

I'm getting the feeling Bergevin sees how much value there is right now in defencemen and is ready to take advantage of said market with guys like Gorges, Beaulieu and Tinordi. He won't trade all three but he's going to use one of them to get what he wants for the forwards.

This is what I suspect. We don't have enough room to train Pateryn, Beaulieu, and Tinordi. We're going to waste one of them. But the trade value is there if we send one away. The only way I can see us trading away Gorges is if we were going to get a similar type of d-man who's a natural right hand shot.

Given there salary, age and upside, there is no way I'd move Tinordi or Beaulieu. Gorges on the other hand is expandable. It's too bad he's got Canadian teams on his no trade list. I think he's perfect fit in Edmonton or winnepeg. I wonder if he could work as a part of a package for girerenko. I think Buffalo could use him for veteran leadership to avoid the same fate as Edmonton. Briere and gorges would be a great fit in buffalo, both for leadership, as well as getting them to the floor.

Given there salary, age and upside, there is no way I'd move Tinordi or Beaulieu. Gorges on the other hand is expandable. It's too bad he's got Canadian teams on his no trade list. I think he's perfect fit in Edmonton or winnepeg. I wonder if he could work as a part of a package for girerenko. I think Buffalo could use him for veteran leadership to avoid the same fate as Edmonton. Briere and gorges would be a great fit in buffalo, both for leadership, as well as getting them to the floor.

Yes Brier to buffalo good move. Don't care what we get. Gorges we must get something for. Grigo would be great.

That's a very interesting idea, Habs29. Buffalo is seriously rebuilding so I doubt they'd bite, but it'd be worth a try for sure.

Buffalo has to do something. They just started the buyout paperwork on Christian Ehrhoff. I would take him on the Habs in a heartbeat. 33 points on the worst team in twenty years!

If Ehrhoff is so good, then why was he traded for a fourth and then a conditional 7th? Seems to me his stock is plummeting and the Sabres don't even want to pay him $4m. And while he got points on the worst team in a while, did he do that because he was incompetent defensively?

If Ehrhoff is so good, then why was he traded for a fourth and then a conditional 7th? Seems to me his stock is plummeting and the Sabres don't even want to pay him $4m. And while he got points on the worst team in a while, did he do that because he was incompetent defensively?

Can't speak on the latter question, but wasn't it just his rights that were traded for, and he was a pending UFA?

Those were trades for his UFA rights.

I don't want to act like Ehrhoff is some superstar. He is not a #1 D-man. But I'd also point out that the Canucks took a huge step backward after he left their team in 2011, and never recovered; and I believe his departure is a key reason for that. He's not a guy you want to build your defence around - that was Buffalo's mistake - but put him out there as part of a squad that includes Markov and Subban, and look out for squalls, especially on the PP.

According to our pal Eklund, Philly and Montreal are the two main buyers for Byfuglien. I suspect that Zoot Suit is dangling Plex, Gorges and Pateryn. Buff would be one hell of an addition next to Subban.

Subban - Byfuglien

Markov - Emelin

Beaulieu - Weaver

Tinordi

Bouillon

Edited: just saw Bob McKenzie's tweet that Gorges can't be dealt to any Canadian teams. How weird is that?